Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

DeVanagloris

From what I can see in the old forums is that only those of level 10 or less, who hadn't logged in for 90 days had their names purged. This was about november 2017, around the merge time. People might not consider it a proper purge as it was only low level chars. The previous purge was 2013 or so when makeb came out the purged level 50's and lower, with the same rules. Couldn't really find any other purges, but it doesn't mean they aren't there :) But as people have pointed out, it's a moot argument, BW probably won't do it, and even if they did, previous purges didn't release as many names as people hoped, and nearly alway shortly after the purge, people wanted it again...

This is not true. I had a high level character, I hadn't played in little over a year, and when they merged I lost my name.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not true. I had a high level character, I hadn't played in little over a year, and when they merged I lost my name.

yup, that was the merge, we were talking about the purge :) There was some debate on wether a purge had taken place at or before the merge. From the forum it turns out there was, but the PURGE only got rid of level 10 or less, but the merge can affect any char (depending on it's on set of rules, etc).

From my memory:

The first server merge...toons across servers with the same name to the same destination server...if a toon already on that destination server had the name they got to keep it. incoming toons had to re-name.

The second server merge they did some weird "formula" that I don't remember if I even understood at the time. It wasn't gameplay hours, it wasn't the age of the toon...what I do remember is that toons on the new destination servers could have, and did, lose names to other toons with the same names from other servers.

The purge, which I don't remember because all subscriber toons were safe and it didn't affect me...was, I'm pretty sure, somewhere in between the two merges.

yup, that was the merge, we were talking about the purge :) There was some debate on wether a purge had taken place at or before the merge. From the forum it turns out there was, but the PURGE only got rid of level 10 or less, but the merge can affect any char (depending on it's on set of rules, etc).

Yeah but out of 40+ alts, I had one that was lost, it was Bojangle. But I always came up with original names, not SW knockoffs, so that was pretty good. I really didn't even have to change the rename that much with the added space now allowed with naming.

I am against name purges. I have been playing since launch and the possibility of losing my names makes me sick to my stomach. I've already lost three with server merges. I am a subscriber, but I would pay extra to guarantee that my names are never taken away.

I am against name purges. I have been playing since launch and the possibility of losing my names makes me sick to my stomach. I've already lost three with server merges. I am a subscriber, but I would pay extra to guarantee that my names are never taken away.

An active acc wouldn't lose their names, people are confusing merges with purges. The purge would affect non active accs, and it's usually from accs (not chars) that haven't been used in a certain amount of time,

I support a purge of inactive account names. maybe in the past 6 months? there are only 2 NA servers. the overlap on names is pretty bad. and it always bothered me that I had to change my name when I knew for a fact that the other guy didn't play anymore.

It's a purge im talking about, not a merge.

Being a sub, you're probably an active player. In that case you wouldnt lose your names. You may be on and off here and there, just like me. But 2 years is more than enough time to keep your names, sub or not. If you are not using it, let others use it and enjoy their game time.

I support a purge of inactive account names. maybe in the past 6 months? there are only 2 NA servers. the overlap on names is pretty bad. and it always bothered me that I had to change my name when I knew for a fact that the other guy didn't play anymore.

A 6 month purge? Are you joking? IF they were to do a purge (which I am against), then it should be for 2+ years. 6 months is someone taking a break from the game.

I mean seriously, do you WANT to run this game out of business? Not to mention, as I stated before, unless you are making some fanboy name like Han Solo or Kylo Ren, there really is no bad issues of having name conflicts. Especially since they are allowing spaces in the names.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

Another simple fact is that, unless they gave an exact time and date of a name purge, the released names could still be re-taken long before the OP could get to them.

If they gave an exact date and time, only those in the closest time zones and/or those who stayed up late, or got up early, or skipped school/work, would get first crack at the names.

Another simple fact is that, unless they gave an exact time and date of a name purge, the released names could still be re-taken long before the OP could get to them.

If they gave an exact date and time, only those in the closest time zones and/or those who stayed up late, or got up early, or skipped school/work, would get first crack at the names.

It gets better: Imagine someone with alts on both servers, but they've been really busy on one or the other, and then the desired name may not free up at all, leaving people that are convinced they're entitled to a name with no other option than to come back and insist that the rules be changed so they can get a desired name. I've seen it happen... :cool:

I have had some trouble finding names that aren't used. But luckily out of the 30+ toons I have, at least during the last merging, I only had conflicts with my own toons on different servers. If I don't have something planned prior to building a toon, I will use the random generator for inspiration and make alterations. I think only one or two toons needed alt codes or apostrophes. Most of that comes from not using well-known names in the Star Wars Universe.

I try to always make my toons names sound like they're taken straight out of one of the movies...

As an example I've got a Female Togruta BH named Lyza Xao'qeen, and a Twi'Lek JK named Rahna Tal'lon...

I've got a human IA named Elena Drax and so on...

To me a name should fit to the Race of the toon, and sound like it belongs in the Galaxy far, far away....

And I've only experienced it twice in 50+ toons, that I'd to need to re-think my naming...

Also well said, there are also untold thousands of names that will be unique to individual players that no one else would actually want. Most of mine are unique.

Bob's taken. I tried.

Not only just "Bob" but many variants such as "Bawb" and "Bobb", as well. (I tried.)

Also Jack (and Jahk) is taken. I tried Jack, but had to settle for Jahk, but then due to a server transfer, Jahk became Charrly. :)

Edited by JediQuaker

you could also use googletranslate or any translation program and use other languages to develop a name.

you could then change that other language name up a little. My forum name is derived from Quo Vadis which i developed from an old WoW Warlock i was creating.

to this date, I have only had one issue with naming a toon and that was Sophia after a character from the Walking Dead. since it was taken i went found alternate ways of spelling the name. i eventually settled on Sofija.

however, googletranslate has been my best friend. you can even take phrases, find the other language sentence and then break it down to resemble a name.

you can use a random naming generator from google. I have not had issues doing that for years. People need to learn to use more Diverse names, and take advantage of the space available to us. Edited by Toraak

If nothing comes to mind with a new toon, press 6 to 10 letters at random, add a few vowels and feed it into one of those online anagram solvers, that give you all the combinations.

That's how BW came up with LAna Beniko after all.

-I'm sure in all the combinations there'll be something that takes your fancy.

OR chop and change letters from something you like, towns, football clubs, cycling heroes, anything really.

Naming is only hard if you're not original, and wanna be called Boba Fett or Darth Vader or Shae Vizla - which are against the ToS anyway.

I agree. All the good names I want are taken. They should have switched to a system where your legacy name gets appended to your character name or use the @soandso like they do in Star Trek Online. The tiny amount of confusion is an acceptable tradeoff for letting everyone get the name they want.

ANd no, double naming isn't an acceptable solution. A character name should be like a first name and only be a single word.

There is also a common pattern to the names used in all languages such that there is actually a great deal of similarity. Names are things by which people use to identify and call out to each other so they must be quick and easy. The social pressures which led the names used in every major human language would be the same social pressures constraining names used by nonhumans too.

Also I'm still pissed that i lost Femshep in the one of the name purges.

Edited by Ellisande

They should have switched to a system where your legacy name gets appended to your character name

Names are things by which people use to identify and call out to each other so they must be quick and easy.

Also I'm still pissed that i lost Femshep in the one of the name purges.

Not that I've tried (so maybe it wouldn't work), but, since you can use a space in a name, perhaps you could use your legacy name as the second part of your name, after the space. To avoid awkwardness, you would then turn off the display of your actual legacy name. That is to say, if your Legacy name was Smith, perhaps you could use a name like "Femshep Smith" and turn off the legacy name display so that it's not Femshep Smith Smith.

As far as the "quick and easy" name goes, that's why people say AOC instead of her full name. But, I've known (of) lots of people with relatively long Indian/Pakistany and Welsh names, so "quick and easy" is not always true across cultures.