Punish PPL leaving WZ - FAIL idea.

TheRFC

fine with it when I also get

1)ability to choose my warzone

2)cross server warzones

3)exploits and bugs currently being used in matches are patched

4)commendations and credits should only go for winning team, prevents afker's who do nothing and still earn crap.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say this truth, but SWTOR is for all intents and purposes a WoW clone.

WoW attracts casuals, such as myself

What's so hard to understand about a deserter penalty?

WoW is also creating a Panda playground because it's about to die.

COD = Go mental rewarding players = most successful gaming franchise ever, may never be beaten.

WoW = Pandas = Please help, we've run out of ideas.

If you also look at WoW they've recently espoused appeasing Casuals to such a degree that they've gone overboard and made it laughable. People can get a L60 char in 5 minutes by signing up buddies? Right idea, poor execution for an MMO.

I do apologize. I so easily forget the type of person with which I interact on the forums. I will be more careful next time as to make clear that by saying "there's no comback situation anymore" I really mean "there's rarely a comback situation anymore".

Also, when I say I'll be back in a minute, it might be 2 or 3. :o

This would be true if the people that quit waited until it really was a no win situation. It has gotten so bad that many people quit if a single door is opened on Voidstar in the first round. There have been a number of these matches where my team has gone on to win, but it was much more difficult.

The problem isn't that people quit 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through an obviously losing game, at least to me. It is all those that quit at the first sign it may be a hard fought and possibly a losing game. The most critical part of a WZ is usually the first 4 or 5 minutes so the people that quit that early have a huge negative impact on the chance of their team winning. I'm not sure why this type of person even PvP's. I PvP because I enjoy PvP. Yes I like to progress my character, but I wouldn't PvP just for that. It is a game not a job.

Of course I prefer to win, but losing doesn't bother me and if it was a well fought match I still enjoy the experience.

On the AFK suggestion I made earlier: The only way AFK reporting has any impact is if the game automatically removes idle players that are reported AFK. That is what happens in WoW. Is is perfect? No but it does cut down the number of AFKers.

Edited by Erasimus

WoW is also creating a Panda playground because it's about to die.

COD = Go mental rewarding players = most successful gaming franchise ever, may never be beaten.

WoW = Pandas = Please help, we've run out of ideas.

If you also look at WoW they've recently espoused appeasing Casuals to such a degree that they've gone overboard and made it laughable. People can get a L60 char in 5 minutes by signing up buddies? Right idea, poor execution for an MMO.

(FYI: UO is still running, still profitable making Ulitma *the* most successful franchise in gaming history spanning the ziploc bag days to now with continuous product. No other franchise has had that success or longevity.)

You mean the COD where Infinity Ward didn't bother to fix exploits at all. Or the Infinity Ward that didn't want to trust the community to run their own servers?

WoW = Pandarans have been in the lore since Warcraft III, that is, pre-WoW? The MMO others would sacrifice your dangly bits to have 10 million subscribers and their problems?

Each company's situation is as black or white as you like to portray. They both do things right as well as screw the pooch at times. Neither franchise is going away in the next five to ten years.

Back to the point: A deserter debuff doesn't solve the problem of people leaving warzones. People will still drop and still take the debuff. You still have the problem of people leaving because the incentive to leave is higher than the debuff penalty. Make the penalty too high and you've screwed folks that got disconnected by accident. (Voidstar, I'm looking at you.) You have to put the debuff on the disconnections simply because if you don't people will use that to leave matches.

I've suggested making losing matches count toward the daily. That way even if the match is horribly imbalanced or the other side is exploiting (8v12 ACW, for example) you still progress towards your goal. In my scenario leaving puts you farther behind than if you stayed because leaving nets you nothing. Yes, it is slower than winning, but we want to keep the motivation for winning (faster daily, more points, etc.). Dropping out leaves you nothing, whereas if you are on the losing side your daily progress is just slowed at the same rate as your valor, commendations, etc..

You're list is a ridiculous excuse for leaving pvp matches. If you d/c or glitch out of a game, that is one thing but to go on about not wasting your time in a 5-0 loss at huttball is pure qq'ing. Play as a team and enjoy the match.

So I join a game, my first of the day and I get thrown in with a team who are 5-0 in Huttball and are just getting farmed. 8 minutes left on the clock.

I've not contributed to the loss but I have to waste 8 minutes being futily farmed or I get punished by a debuff?

Unless you run with pre-mades (which I usually do now, saves much of the BS) you get thrown into a lot of losing situations.

Punishing people adds problem after problem after problem ... it's arbitrary and pointless compared to just rewarding people for playing rather than punishing them for not staying.

Glad to see there's more and more threads dealing with what my thread did in different ways. Bioware needs to be aware of the issue. Players in general are leaving because progression and RL time restraints dictate it. Bad players are complaining that good players keep leaving their team when they get spotted and then adversely get steam rolled by a superior team when replacements come in. They in turn demand a welfare system which says AFKers get equal progression as active participants and everyone must stay a full 15m once the button has pushed any attempt to free your character from this in game jail will result in a temporary ban. Way to lose customers.

Make quests based on personal performance in a team setting using goals and objectives as the key +1 factors and then you'll see the problem of leavers correct itself without any penalty almost over night if not exactly over night. Then after some bugs get fixed such as the speeder bug, being counted down against before loading and getting deserter before you have a chance to leave (not something I have an issue with but I've seen others complain about it), the force push bug, and crashing reconnecting you to the same game.. after allll that kinda stuff is fixed and the incentives adjusted for the quests.. then we can talk penalty and I'd probably support it.

I can name an imp player on juyo that I see in a lot of WZ's and he always bails at the first sign defeat. Always. Other team scores 1st, he drops. Other team caps 2 turrets, he drops. Other team plants the bomb successfully, he drops. That's the reason I support penalizing quitters.

I never bail. If nothing else I stay for the coms/valor. I have had the game freeze up and the occasional disconnects forcing me out. But I'll happily live with the debuffs if it means quitters get penalized.

When BW fixes crap like the random kick to character selection I had this morning during a ball match, sure 15 minutes is reasonable. It was actually kinda funny because when I qued back up, I ended up on the other team. But ya till stuff like that gets fixed, it will end up punishing people because of bugs. And seeing as how there seems to be a rampant amount of afkers going by the forums, i'm not really sure what it would really accomplish. There's a few things that need to be addressed before they even think of adding a deserter debuff.