January 26th Livestream Wrap-up

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Thank you everyone for tuning in! If you missed it, here is what we discussed.

On Tuesday we released Game Update 5.1 - Defend the Throne

• Master Mode Chapters
  • 5 new Uprisings
  • Galactic Command Gearing Changes -- We know that the changes in 5.1 are just the start. We are looking into simplifying, making faster, and making more alt friendly the gearing in GC. We are also looking into making getting through Command Ranks faster.

Coming in April, Game Update 5.2 which will include

• Brand new story arc on Iokath. The Empire and Republic are fighting over control of the planet and you, as the Alliance Commander will choose who to side with.
  • Two returning Companions: Quinn and Elara.
  • After completing Iokath's storyline, it opens up into a new daily area.
  • Coming with Iokath is the first boss of a new Operation. Each subsequent boss will be released in the future with the entire Op being completely released this year.
  • We are planning to have a PTS for 5.2 in the next few weeks. More details to follow.

-eric

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After today's stream... here is my take, and some other random thoughts. Hopefully this comes off without sounding too bitter.

I was hoping we would get a much bigger content announcement, say for Summer. A complete operation, warzone, gsf map. So much has been neglected, in addition to the mess that is 5.0/cxp. I've paid for this game for 5 years. GM of a medium/large sized (well, small in activity now) guild on Harbinger. Probably a years worth of gameplay if I add up my alts (my main is something like 200 days). Sadly, I cannot support this game anymore. I've loved this game, but I am disappointed with the studio if I'm being polite. Kudos for finally trying to do something about group content, but group content should never have been neglected like this to begin with...

I have very low expectations for daily areas, especially after Ziost which was a graveyard in less than a month after it came out.

New story is good for those players, but frankly I haven't enjoyed the story since SoR. The chapter stories are not my cup of tea, both in mode and content.

New operation is 2 years too late. 1 boss will not bring back guilds to life, and that's really what I (and many other dead guilds) need to continue to have fun. Its just not enough to make daily players come back so GSF or PVP is healthy on most servers, nor guilds to have people login daily to 'do stuff.' I fully appreciate that this takes time, and maybe better than holding off until late 2017, but in the end the interaction with other players having fun is what keeps paid subscribers around. Most guilds need a large content update to get people subscribed again, to do things. Of course this is just my opinion, 5.2 won't do that.

Obviously the other issues with cxp/bug fixing/class balance should be addressed... After 5 years, bug fixes and class balance really aren't even worth talking about at this point. That's a sad thing.

Ultimately I'm most frustrated with the studio's lack of communication with their player base. The class rep system should have been a priority, so there were at least a handful of high level paying players interacting directly with the community manager. Sorry Musco, nothing personal, but I would grade you an F as a community manager. No offense, its just how I feel as a paying customer. There are SO many things in this game that are neglected for months and in some cases years, without a word of input from you. Yes I've seen Snave's interviews and I heard your policy of 'well if there's nothing to announce I'd rather not comment until I actually have something confirmed' (paraphrasing), but when years pass and so many things are ignored we feel like you don't care. I'm sure you do care, and maybe you are limited by someone else such as Ben or someone 'in corporate'. In which case they deserve credit for the what I expect to be a continually dwindling subscriber base.

Doesn't change how I and many others feel/felt about the state of this game and the lack of communication with your player base.

I've loved 5 years of PVP, raiding, cheevo grinding, playing original class stories. It may be just a game, but its given me a lot of fond memories.

Sub is done 2/7, I'll not be back. Thank you.

Edited by mattjurado

Thanks for the stream! A new operation is great news, my guildies have been waiting for that for a long time and I hope some will return now. My raid group is looking forward to testing the boss on the PTS and giving feedback!

Regarding PTS, I hope it will be open. If you do a closed PTS and e.g. invite 8 players from a raid group, it will be difficult to test the operation in case a player can't make it to raid. An open PTS will make it easier to swap in other guildies, even allow for spontaneous raids, and then we can openly talk about it without worrying about NDA or datamining.

Of course, this means that once the ops boss hits the live server, it is not "new" but from past PTS, we know that only the most dedicated players will be on the PTS, so most players won't see the operation until it hits the live server.

Sounds great that you are planning a bonus CXP event! Based on what I've seen, a 3x to 5x increase would be perfect, double CXP is not enough. If you compare the rate of gear acquisition to previous tiers (2.0/3.0), usually raid groups could get everyone equipped within 8 weeks, and that was by just running operations for a few hours each week. Same for PvP, players could get a full set within a few weeks.

Now, you have to put in 5-10 hours a day to earn gear this fast. Most players only have a few hours of playtime each week, and it would take them months, if not over a year to gear up. A 3x to 5x increase would be perfect in my opinion, not too fast so players get bored, and not too slow where they lose motivation. Please also increase the rate of Unassembled Components by the same amount, because otherwise players need to do over 1000 warzones to get their gear.

My two questions are:

• Is it required to complete the KotET story/Iokath daily area before doing the Operation? (Primarily asking because players have multiple alts for raiding, but not all characters have done the story)
  • Will the operation be available in both 8-man and 16-man mode? Charles talked about Story/Veteran/Master Mode but didn't mention 16-man.

Edited by Jerba

• Galactic Command Gearing Changes -- We know that the changes in 5.1 are just the start. We are looking into simplifying, making faster, and making more alt friendly the gearing in GC. We are also looking into making getting through Command Ranks faster.

This is a GREAT start! Any word on when this is going to be legacy-wide? You guys NEED to make this alt-friendly.

• Coming with Iokath is the first boss of a new Operation. Each subsequent boss will be released in the future with the entire Op being completely released this year.

So it seems like Operations will be released in a similar manner like KotFE was. Why this change in release cadence? Not really a fan. How come you guys can't make the whole thing and release it at once? You guys did acknowledge that 2017 would be the year for group content for quite some time now.

Edited by Talon_strikes

You know not *everyone* is gonna kill Quinn, ya? ;)

If you don't play as a Jedi parading a sith obsessed with getting light 5 or something then YES you will wan to kill him, he betrayed you picking his "job" over his loyalty to you after making that big talk about loyalty on balmora

He'll the only thing that makes less sense is quinnmancers

Now real talk, is this thing going to be a full fleged game expansion like Kotef/Kotet or a "side along" thing like the ilium storyline?

Edited by Udoroththefinal

So it seems like Operations will be released in a similar manner like KotFE was. Why this change in release cadence? Not really a fan. How come you guys can't make the whole thing and release it at once? You guys did acknowledge that 2017 would be the year for group content for quite some time now.

They explained in the stream that the full operation wouldn't be ready until the end of the year. So if I have to choose between getting one boss in a couple of weeks on the PTS, or waiting until the end of the year for an operation, I'd also rather have piecemeal bosses.

Now real talk, is this thing going to be a full fleged game expansion like Kotef/Kotet or a "side along" thing like the ilium storyline?

As it's 5.2 it's still part of 5, which is KOTET. This is simply an addition to KOTET not a new expansion. A new expansion would be called 6.0

First I want to give you all acknowledgement for making a new operation. I honestly never thought I'd see another in the game. So thanks for that.

As for Iokath, will you be able to play it without finishing the Eternal Throne story? How about recruiting either Quinn or Elara? Will that be doable for a character that just leveled to 70 and never touched KOTFE or KOTET?

If you don't play as a Jedi parading a sith obsessed with getting light 5 or something then YES you will wan to kill him, he betrayed you picking his "job" over his loyalty to you after making that big talk about loyalty on balmora

He'll the only thing that makes less sense is quinnmancers

Whatever! Quinn and I are gonna rule the universe. Always felt half-hearted about it before, but now.. muhaha :wea_03:

A few questions, story/companion related;

- If my Jedi Knight elects to side with the Empire to obtain Quinn and because tbqfh, she's beyond frustrated with the Republic, then according to Charles' this MAY affect future companion recruitment... does that mean she won't be able to get ANY of the future Republic-sided companions, or just some? Iresso was mentioned as an example and it would make sense for him not to wish to join a 'traitor' but Lord Scourge for example, the Jedi Knight's own companion, realistically he wouldn't/shouldn't care. Hell he'd probably rejoice so what of companions like him, will he become off-limits too if my JK sides with the Empire? — Perhaps leave the option open in all cases and just have comps like Iresso express a certain disdain with like, 1-2 extra conversational steps to reel him in or convince him.

- What of our already recruited companions such as Theron and Aric Jorgan, if we're Jedi/Smug/Trooper but side with the Empire in 5.2, will we lose them? Or say Pierce in a reversed situation if your Sith chooses the Republic.

- I assume romances with Elara/Quinn will be resumed in this new patch?

They explained in the stream that the full operation wouldn't be ready until the end of the year. So if I have to choose between getting one boss in a couple of weeks on the PTS, or waiting until the end of the year for an operation, I'd also rather have piecemeal bosses.

This honestly makes it sound like they hadn't even started working on an Op until just now. Well, it's better than nothing. I just hope they move away from this piecemeal style of cadence updates because it really is not ideal at all. :/

This honestly makes it sound like they hadn't even started working on an Op until just now. Well, it's better than nothing. I just hope they move away from this piecemeal style of cadence updates because it really is not ideal at all. :/

It's just a way to string along subs with minimal work. That's all. It's very sad. Get rid of RNG end game gearing for end game players and provide real content like other games do and they wouldn't have to try to string people along.

Blahhhh group finder need to be fixed. Que sucks. Can't enjoy new anything if no one is in que. Figure out a way to get players to que or make it better for the few of us that do que up. Give more cmdxp to player who use group finder might be a idea. Or give better loot odds for using group finder. There's something that can be done easily without to much change. Edited by bulltonez

My feedback hasn't changed with the new stream, unfortunately.

It's obvious that the changes in 5.1 are not going to make the end game players happy, they're still leaving and taking their subscription money with them. Server populations are still declining, guilds are still failing and people who used to post in the forums are long gone. The problem is that Ben and his design team did not actually listen to what the playing customers told them. The end game gearing with 5.0 is a disaster and it's more than obvious that the changes in 5.1 are aimed at trying to placate players without actually making changes or admitting a huge mistake was made. At this point I'm not sure if the situation is actually salvageable or not. However, if you want to try there are some things that absolutely have to happen.

First, end game gearing has to be fixed in a manner that the players will accept and will see as BioWare actually listening, admitting a huge mistake and making changes to improve the player experience.

The first and most common suggestion is to go back to 3.0/4,0 gearing and move on. That will take some serious work to integrate PvP, but it should be doable since BW already has the code base for that system. This should be implementable within 2 weeks.

The second option is to go to a 3.0/4.0 PvP style gearing system for all end game gearing. This is also a system where the code base is already on hand. It will take some work with a spread sheet to figure out what should award how many comms that you will use to buy gear, but that should be the work of an afternoon. I expect this gearing system should be set up so that you can get a set of tier 1 gear in 8 to 10 weeks of play at 2-3 operations a week or with playing PvP. A cap would need to be instituted to limit gearing time to whatever minimum BW thinks is appropriate (say minimum time to get is 6 to 7 weeks.)

Either of these options should be in place no later than two weeks from Monday And announced as such. That would give you the best bet of getting people to add at least 30 days to their sub to see if BW actually lives up to the promise and implements a reasonable system. I expect that is about all the breathing space BW is going to get on this.

Next, new end game content has to be a top priority. I would suggest a new PVP map, 2 flashpoints and an operation, all by the end of June. Announcing that along with the gearing changes above would be likely to get the current end game players to stay for 180 days to get their gear and to see if the new content is worth playing. If the release date is pushed back further, people are going to unsub until it comes out, see how it looks and maybe sub, if they aren't already committed to another game.

For the non-end game players, adding a low rate of comm accrual to flash points and other group content would be a good thing. Go ahead and leave GC for those people who like to solo, play story chapters, etc. as an alternate way to get gear.

Doing this might save enough paying player base to keep the game off of the EA chopping block. Unfortunately, you've left this go long enough now, it might not.

The biggest problems with SWTOR at this time are all bad decisions by poor management. The correction for that problem is changing management. Ben and his management team need to be replaced. They have, unfortunately, proven that they are totally out of touch with their game and the community of its players. They have further proven that they are unable to make corrections to problems in a rapid, agile way that takes into account feedback from their paying customers. SWTOR is more than just a game, it is a business. In business when you prove incompetence, you are replaced. That should happen here. EA should reach outside BW and look for a producer and senior design team. The people chosen should have shown an ability to engage a player base, take player feedback into account for design decisions, the ability to admit mistakes and the ability to make corrections in a fast, reliable manner.

1 boss? whole ops at/by the end of the year?

Let me just... quickly.. no. Still 27th January..

At first I thought I've visited future for a brief moment somehow...

Seriously you've got to be kidding me.. Do you guys sit on each others heads in Austin?

this shouts on all sides F-YOU HERE IS YOUR OPS!

Blahhhh group finder need to be fixed. Que sucks. Can't enjoy new anything if no one is in que. Figure out a way to get players to que or make it better for the few of us that do que up. Give more cmdxp to player who use group finder might be a idea. Or give better loot odds for using group finder. There's some that can be done easily without to much change.

They have to have players to make GF work. We're all leaving and they refuse to admit why.

• Master Mode Chapters
  • 5 new Uprisings

• Brand new story arc on Iokath. The Empire and Republic are fighting over control of the planet and you, as the Alliance Commander will choose who to side with.
  • Two returning Companions: Quinn and Elara.
  • After completing Iokath's storyline, it opens up into a new daily area.
  • We are planning to have a PTS for 5.2 in the next few weeks. More details to follow.

-eric

I could care less for whats coming up in April...I know some OPS lovers are salivating over that portion.

For me all I care are the fixes to the GC system. How long until you apply those "fixes"...weeks/months/year/just hearsay?

I know will be difficult perhaps to give a timeline but I dont want to be led on by just hearsay without applying proper fixes into the system. Perhaps, might be best to unsub till this is more concrete and worked out? I hate wasting my time grinding uselessly and then have the system re-vamped again. This does not solve anything IMO but just prolongs the inevitable.

My suggestion for command crates is get rid of all the garbage in them. 99% of the stuff I get in the crates just gets disintegrated. A pet? Really? And not just once but every other crate. If you are going to put in a companion gift then give the tier6 ones, not a tier 5. Reputation tokens should be of the largest type. It's not like someone is going to level up all the reputations just from crates, not with the variety of them we can get. The green 228 gear is ok if you have never played before this update but it is only slightly better than the purple 208 which most players already had. The greens should be purchasable to prep a player for end game. Nothing less than blue 230s in crates and up the drop rate of set pieces.

I really don't have that much problem with command crates except for most of the time all you get is garbage.

DanNV I saw your thread yesterday, and I agree with your thoughts as well. The 5.0 gearing system is a disaster. Its so complicated! The token vendors before were just fine. Commendations needed reworking or scrapping, but cxp should be scrapped. That said I was still holding out hope for an announcement of significant group content that would bring back people I know to the game, both in guild and out.

This isn't even a 'go make new friends' situation, the subs are gone and the quality of player in GF or Warzones now is sad.

The MMO players left in this game would love to go back to the way gearing was before. Of course there are ways to improve/change it, but I have yet to meet someone that thinks this system is good. I heard today they are looking at ways to change it, but in reality it will make it MORE convoluted.

Thanks for stream ^^ I know playing KoTET 6 months was good idea, i will have what to do until April coming. But little question .. why again companion for Trooper. Hello, Consular have only 1 .. one class what only one companion returned -.-

About GC i dont have problems like others. Just others are to lazy to play. Or this game is not for them anymore.

About pvp why gear vs gear isnt about skill vs skill? Full gear = training completed. All Jedi, Sith and warriors must training (getting gear) and then show how they good on pvp. Ppl who said about pvp is no more becuase now gear vs gear make me little laugh. Maybe before was better but now i dont have problem with this. Same with GC, ppl too lazy to play and get this gear. :rolleyes:

Edited by Trlance

My thoughts on 5.2 is that it is a start in the right direction, but only a start. I know that you have limits as to what you can do/produce, but if you don't make a commitment to new Ops and PvP maps every year, than 1 new Op is not going to solve your problem. In addition to this, you have to look at class balance and make adjustments. Some classes are overperforming, and some are underperforming. I don't know why you don't communicate with the community about class balance, but some of us actually have good ideas of which you may not have thought that can help address the current issues we see in dps, survivability, etc.