youtube copyright

masterwindoo

hi, i wanted to record some footage of early level jedi consular gameplay, but when i uploaded it to youtube, the video was instantly taken down. i'm confused about this because iv'e seen a ton of videos up already. so why did mine get taken down (after i'd given recognition to bioware and stated that i, in no way, owned the product) but the others didnt? it's really frustrating. :mad:

there was no music added to it though, or do you mean in-game music?:confused:

The NDA was lifted long ago so there is no copyright issue (those that protect SWTOR rights would not have filed a grievance). You've either added something else that was copyrighted or utube moderator made a mistake. They are accessible; send them an email if you think they made a mistake.

The NDA was lifted long ago so there is no copyright issue (those that protect SWTOR rights would not have filed a grievance). You've either added something else that was copyrighted or utube moderator made a mistake. They are accessible; send them an email if you think they made a mistake.

NDA doesn't necessarily cover this topic. NDA is a non-disclosure agreement that barred users from talking about the game. Usually MMO developers don't mind this sort of stuff, because it helps grow their communities.

New copyright laws have youtube and other sites paranoid. Unless what you post is completely original content that you created, then your video can be removed.

This sums it up. The new law went into affect a few months ago. There was a huge stink about it and various parties tried to get the senate to add exemptions (hell google had a write your senator link up on their main page). Sadly no one really listened to it. Now anything you do can be pulled from anywhere. In fact if a media company really wanted to be arses about it they could sue you for any video you make with music that they have the rights too (even if you own the cd).

Chances are yours got pulled by random luck of the draw or someone felt like being a D Bag and reported it.

P.S. Side note is just by making the video itself you are breaking the law. Even if EA really doesn't have a problem with this sort of thing (and i doubt they do) you would have to have it in writing from them to do it, then pass that on to youtube for the official ok. Like i said man chances are someone just felt like being an arse.

Edited by AutoCocker

This sums it up. The new law went into affect a few months ago. There was a huge stink about it and various parties tried to get the senate to add exemptions (hell google had a write your senator link up on their main page). Sadly no one really listened to it. Now anything you do can be pulled from anywhere. In fact if a media company really wanted to be arses about it they could sue you for any video you make with music that they have the rights too (even if you own the cd).

Chances are yours got pulled by random luck of the draw or someone felt like being a D Bag and reported it.

i uploaded the video 3 time though, on 3 separate days, that's not really luck of the draw is it?

that happened to one of the videos I uploaded. I uploaded 2 similar videos of pvp footage, first one was with in game sound of warzones and players abilities the second I put three music and credited. The second I receive same message ur talking about but my video is still up.

• 6 months later...
hi, i wanted to record some footage of early level jedi consular gameplay, but when i uploaded it to youtube, the video was instantly taken down. i'm confused about this because iv'e seen a ton of videos up already. so why did mine get taken down (after i'd given recognition to bioware and stated that i, in no way, owned the product) but the others didnt? it's really frustrating. :mad:

It was taken down because that is the current EA prerogative when it comes to anything relating to SWTOR that could possible display the game in a negative light or has not been authorized by use from EA. Basically it was taken down because EA fears the community response to its game.

All you have to do is cite the reason for the video such as commentary or review and give further citation for ownership of SWTOR.

Basically what they tried to do with ME3, is what they were able to do with SWTOR. Which is to silence every critic or naysayer out there as best as they can.

What, somebody had to say it...

Edited by wrmrstacrdwower

Seems awfully random to me. In some recent cases there seems to be no problem and in others they pull the vid. I'm not sure Youtube and others understand the new copyright law. Or may be they don't know how or what to enforce. So... what happens if you ask Youtube? Surely they have some explanation beyond the standard bs.

I think... if this is truly what it comes down too... then, Youtube is going to be "youtubed". Other sites or individual pages will pop up which will allow a bit more freedom. It's only a matter of time before a ground swell of dissatisfaction will find a solution.

In game music comes up as copyright issues for me on youtube. just disable music in game.

I still have a few up.. if i disable monitization... there doesn't seem to be a problem, which is fine thats what i expected.

If I find some way to get my strike reversed and get my account back I'l be sure to keep that in mind for the future. Stupid Sony loses Star Wars Galaxies and then has to take it out on me by removing my SWTOR videos which in turn destroyed my youtube account.