4.03 dxgmms2.sys Blue Screen in win10

reverseclipse

it also happened to me 3 times today, 2 times on taxi, and another time just random crash... anyone knows if its fixable or we just have to wait for win to come with an update, or bioware to update the game for fixing the issue ?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft yesterday patched their DirectX core files for Win10. Was in game this morning with the latest NVidia Drivers 361.91 and am once again able to play the game with full settings and no BSOD's if you didn't get MS's Update you may want to check it for version 10586.122 which is where the core files are updated.

Microsoft yesterday patched their DirectX core files for Win10. Was in game this morning with the latest NVidia Drivers 361.91 and am once again able to play the game with full settings and no BSOD's if you didn't get MS's Update you may want to check it for version 10586.122 which is where the core files are updated.

I confirm, no more BSOD, thank you Microsoft :)

I confirm, no more BSOD, thank you Microsoft :)

Frozen twice in the last hour on Taris, after Win10 update. Once on my own speeder, once running around.

Win10 Pro 64 bit

X99 Mobo

i7 5960x

16GB DDR4

2x GTX980 in SLI

nVidia drivers 362.00

Frozen twice in the last hour on Taris, after Win10 update. Once on my own speeder, once running around.

Win10 Pro 64 bit

X99 Mobo

i7 5960x

16GB DDR4

2x GTX980 in SLI

nVidia drivers 362.00

Hum odd, have you tested with SLI disabled ? Clean driver install ?

Hum odd, have you tested with SLI disabled ? Clean driver install ?

I'm OCD about my rig, so it's always a clean display driver install (DDU+cache cleanup etc.). I haven't tried disabling SLI because it makes my blood boil having £500 worth of kit sitting doing nothing (I bought both GTX 980 as nVidia reference cards the weekend they were launched, so paid early-adopter penalty prices).

Setting everything on high/ultra, but setting grass to '0' still works. I did read disabling SLI also worked, but it's a pain in the furry hoop to toggle SLI on and off on a multi-monitor setup just for one game. I only recently came back to SWTOR after 5 years, and I am enjoying it. But this bug is seriously irritating.

Yep, in the crashy crashy world of Belsavis (where the blue skies are matched by the blue screens!) the BSODs no longer happen - but instead, in the same areas where they used to happen, the game just locks up hard - audio still runs, but the graphics are frozen and the game client's unresponsive (has to be killed by ctrl-alt-delete and signing out).

So, sadly, grass still needs to be turned off.

Back to the game after a 3 months break.

I left in december because of that bug, and I'm happy to hear that it is *somehow* corrected now.

Before resubbing I made some tests today on Taris on three places where I had the BSOD, 2 of them being a taxi.

Nothing, the game is stable with the grass setting to their previous values.

Awesome.

Some of you still report bugs, freezes, can you please tell us precisely where they occur, so that we can test them and see if it's general or only occuring on certain riggs. Just let us know the planet, the precise wp/taxi and location where it happens, thanks a lot in advance!

And also, what kind of grass settings do you use? 100%? have you tried with a smaller value?

I personnaly use grass 45 and trees 45 (dont ask me why, but it's what I had "before") all that with the "grass drawing from very far" and all works fine on Taris. Have you tried the windowed/full screen thingy or other parameters, it it still does the same thing?

On hopefully this nightmare will be over for us all very soon:rolleyes:

Edited by Draksen

Some of you still report bugs, freezes, can you please tell us precisely where they occur, so that we can test them and see if it's general or only occuring on certain riggs. Just let us know the planet, the precise wp/taxi and location where it happens, thanks a lot in advance!

Not being in game atm I can't be precise, but two locations that triggered it for me reliably were the road towards Maximum Security on Belsavis, and the area just before you turn right to head to the Shrine on Voss.

In general, though, what seemed to trigger the BSOD (and after the Microsoft update, the lockup, for me at least) was the sudden appearance of a longer horizon with some level of detail. With grass. It's been very hard to pin down any exact similarities though - not least because every time the BSOD/lockup does happen, it's a long process to reboot, reload and reauthenticate to start again :)

And also, what kind of grass settings do you use? 100%? have you tried with a smaller value?

I personnaly use grass 45 and trees 45 (dont ask me why, but it's what I had "before") all that with the "grass drawing from very far" and all works fine on Taris. Have you tried the windowed/full screen thingy or other parameters, it it still does the same thing?

Previously I have tried everything from maxed-out grass to 30%, tried windowed, exclusive fullscreen, etc etc. None of it made any difference, the crash would happen regardless. The only thing that stopped it for me was to turn grass down to zero, completely disabling it.

I'm just gonna have to keep filing feedback reports with Microsoft and hope they eventually take the time to properly troubleshoot what they broke, because while the latest update is a slight improvement (at least the crash doesn't take down the whole system!) it's still broken. And for a very mature tech like DX9, that's pretty shameful!

I just got a brand new alienware 15 and made the mistake of downloading windows 10 before trying to install SWTOR.

I renewed my sub from 3 years ago and everything to come back and play. At first it seemed like it was doing fine until it stopped installing at about 98.37 %. Then it wigged out and crashed. Now it when it launches it changes my display resolution everytime and makes the game screen very small in the top left side of my screen. I've looked online and tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. I'm starting to regret spending my money on this. I'm sure someone has ran into the same issue before. Any advice would be great. Thanks

but two locations that triggered it for me reliably were the road towards Maximum Security on Belsavis

Is it there (I took a screenshot of my frozen screen/crashed game^^)

http://draksen.net/images/swtorbug.png

So yes, I have the same, despite what I said earlier. So nothing on Taris.

No BSOD on Belsavis, but a freeze/crash on the road toward the Max Sec sector. The road is partly snowy, partly covered with grass, and it is even snowing near the cliff, so I guess rather "rich" in term of graphical details.

Does the old trick with grass=0 correct at 100% the new crash bug for you all?

Now it when it launches it changes my display resolution everytime and makes the game screen very small in the top left side of my screen. I've looked online and tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times.

When it makes the screen small just press ALT + Enter keys that should sort it, no need to re-install that will have no affect , use this link as a reference

Best posting here for these sorts of issues

Edited by OwenBrooks

I'm having issues in windows + SLI. It isn't blue-screening, and I've never seen the 'the display driver stopped responding' messages, but roaming around Hutta the game will freeze up (I will hear audio, but no movement, and will need to control alt delete and log out of windows).

Strangely it seems to happen in the same locations.

I have dual booted windows 8.1 onto my machine, and can confirm it doesn't happen in Windows 8 (so unlikely a hardware problem), and can confirm it doesn't happen on Windows 10 on single GPU, only SLI.

Also, I was previously playing back in October with no problems, so possibly still a problem left over from the Windows 10 November update, or a patch from Bioware.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not getting blue screen anymore but I crash so bad that the only solution is to manually shutdown my computer... so not really an improvement. It has only happened to me on Belsavis since update. Don't have SLI. Edited by MuDIII

Back again, long time no see! I've been playing for a few months on the old drivers, at Grass "0".

Today just for the hell of it I tried the new drivers, 364.72 with grass "100" no KABOOM!, no blue screen.. Fixed? I hope so.. I'm running a single card, Titan..

Back again, long time no see! I've been playing for a few months on the old drivers, at Grass "0".

Today just for the hell of it I tried the new drivers, 364.72 with grass "100" no KABOOM!, no blue screen.. Fixed? I hope so.. I'm running a single card, Titan..

Since the last major update (march) of windiws 10...