Galactic Starfighter changes in 3.0?

Pujaradactyl

I haven't seen or heard of any changes or additions to gsf anywhere in the 3.0 announce. Will there be any new content, or at the very least revamps of ships/crews for balance? The gsf forum has been abuzz with no feedback from devs. I know that you devs are busy, but please just let us know! Thanks for the time making the game what it is :) Just keep in touch with your players!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess all we can hope for is some cartel ships.

Would be cool if they added Lana, Theron and Jakarro as cewmembers tough :)

As long as it saves GSF and make it more profitable for Bioware, I support all cartel coin decisions. They could be cartel exclusive.

A new map is all I ask for. They won't spend time on doing another mode, so a new map and new companions are most likely to happen.

• Dev Post

Howdy Space Jockeys! I wanted to pop in and let y’all know that there aren't going to be any new maps or ships for GSF in 3.0. However, we are making a change to the Requisition curve in that all the Requisition rewards are getting a permanent boost. Remember though (because Musco would kill me if I didn’t say this) that this change is subject to testing and not final in any way. Here is a list of the changes for the Requisition that are going into 3.0 as of right now:

Fleet and Ship Requisition Increased

In-Match Reward Calculations

• Fleet Requisition Multiplier increased by 50% (0.1->0.15)
  • Requisition Objective Control Attacking Multiplier increased by 50% (60->90)
  • Requisition Objective Control Defense Multiplier increased by 50% (0.2->0.3)
  • Requisition Objective Destroy Defense Multiplier increased by 50% (0.3->0.4)
  • Requisition Participation Multiplier increased by 50% (0.15->0.2)

Quest Rewards

• Major Fleet Requisition Grant increased by 400% (1000->5000)
  • Fleet Requisition Grant increased by 25% (500->625)
  • Minor Fleet Requisition Grant increased by ~25% (250->313)
  • Major Ship Requisition Grant increased by 25% (2500->3125)
  • Minor Ship Requisition Grant increased by ~25% (750->938)

The reason we wanted to do this adjustment to Requisition Gain is we found while playing and sifting through the data that the ramp up time for new and moderate GSF players was taking too long and those players couldn’t match up against veterans most of the time, despite skill level. So we wanted to get players into the meaty part of the leveling curve and into a ship they really wanted to play faster. So with this goal in mind, after finishing the introduction quest players will be granted enough Fleet Requisition to purchase any ship (not the Cartel Market ones though) they’d like. In addition to aid experienced players, daily, weekly and, in-match objectives now give greater requisition rewards so players at any point in the level curve can move along it at quicker pace. For the hardcore GSF players the goal is that this change will increase the amount of players sticking to GSF and thus increase the queue pool. More matches and more bogies to take out! :sul_tongue:

While we are excited about this change we want to do additional GSF content and balancing (we've been reading the GSF forum every week gathering feedback on what y'all want to see) but there is no timetable currently.

We hope everyone enjoys these requisition changes and it makes GSF overall more enjoyable from the player just getting their wings to the battle scarred Aces. Looking forward to y’alls feedback! Cheers!

This is awesome. This is a much needed change. New players were simply so far behind the curve it was ZERO fun.

I have to go back into the GSF threads where I suggested a massive boost to REQ and poke a little fun at the HC types who downplayed the idea.

"We did it, so everyone else has to. We don't want other people to have fun."

I did it too. It doesn't make it fun.

Edited by Arkerus

Howdy Space Jockeys! I wanted to pop in and let y’all know that there aren't going to be any new maps or ships for GSF in 3.0. However, we are making a change to the Requisition curve in that all the Requisition rewards are getting a permanent boost. Remember though (because Musco would kill me if I didn’t say this) that this change is subject to testing and not final in any way. Here is a list of the changes for the Requisition that are going into 3.0 as of right now:

Quest Rewards

The reason we wanted to do this adjustment to Requisition Gain is we found while playing and sifting through the data that the ramp up time for new and moderate GSF players was taking too long and those players couldn’t match up against veterans most of the time, despite skill level. So we wanted to get players into the meaty part of the leveling curve and into a ship they really wanted to play faster. So with this goal in mind, after finishing the introduction quest players will be granted enough Fleet Requisition to purchase any ship (not the Cartel Market ones though) they’d like. In addition to aid experienced players, daily, weekly and, in-match objectives now give greater requisition rewards so players at any point in the level curve can move along it at quicker pace. For the hardcore GSF players the goal is that this change will increase the amount of players sticking to GSF and thus increase the queue pool. More matches and more bogies to take out! :sul_tongue:

While we are excited about this change we want to do additional GSF content and balancing (we've been reading the GSF forum every week gathering feedback on what y'all want to see) but there is no timetable currently.

We hope everyone enjoys these requisition changes and it makes GSF overall more enjoyable from the player just getting their wings to the battle scarred Aces. Looking forward to y’alls feedback! Cheers!

This is not the solution to get more players involved IMO, though I do believe it will help in a limited fashion. I still strongly believe the following changes NEED to happen...

1) Reduced reticule size and joystick ability added (more twitchy, skill based)

2) Reduced effect of higher level equipment to level out playing field (mild to strong nerf on equipment upgrades)

3) Single PVE map to allow players to practice OR open combat map with no objective (but limited amount of players allowed naturally)

Just making those three changes, IMO, would vastly increase the appeal of the feature. Even with the increased rewards new players are still going to drop out of the feature early on. They need a fighting chance...better controls and practice can and will provide that.

Important question: Will we be able to do something with all this extra requisition? I certainly will have no need for ship req on my mastered(s). Converting to fleet comms is expensive and somewhat useless with these changes. Perhaps the ability to dump these into credits? 1 ship req->10 credits, maybe?

1 ship req->10 credits, maybe?

I would love an extra 40 million credits. I fully support this idea :)

In all seriousness, tie-ins with the ground game would be an excellent addition. I have always been boggled that GSF does not have a reputation track, especially when an existing track (KDY) is explicitly linked to it. This, some more cosmetic options, and a way to convert requisition to credits or commendations to be used in the ground game would be an excellent way to draw in new players.

Conquests helped, but tie-ins would solidify the improvements to population we've seen since GSH.

Edited by Fractalsponge

This doesn't hype me. The forum people are full of good intentions, but in a nutshell, it's mostly "moar power".

Very few people even dare say things may be too strong, even then, I think they are too cautious. They are very, very, very cautious to even mention changes that would need deep and intricated redisigns. That's for the most reasonable people.

There are also the unreasonable ones who always ask for buffs, regardless of the game status.

Seriously, I have NEVER feared of developers listening to their player base on the forum like I do now about the GSF forums. I have never felt that the majority of people can be as wrong as I am feeling them currently.

Edited by Altheran

Hmm. This makes me want to fill my cargo hold with all of the Requisition reward certificates I get from the daily/weekly quests from now until December. Can we get a confirmation that a certificate I earn today will be worth 5 times as much after the rollout?

For context, I began playing GSF on a special toon just for GSF, but kinda faded off. Now I am playing it again, but on my main, so I have to re-earn all of the unlocks I had on the alt. If the rewards are going to go up by a factor of 4-5 though, it may be worth the slower progress of not opening the rewards just to get the bonus later on.

The initial and mid levelling curve needed to be faster. This change is good.

However, this leaves more experienced pilots with ridiculous amounts of Requisition and nothing to use it on. I would suggest one of two things:

1. Very expensive upgrades with minimal benefits. Basically a soft cap. For example, gun range increase by 1m for 25K Req. Next 1m is 30K. Next is 35K. So if you wanted something like an extra 100m of gun range the cost would be, well, more than I can count easily anyway.

2. FINALLY give us more of a tie-in between GSF and the rest of the game. Let us turn in Req to get Comms. 250 for a Planetary Comm. 500 for a Basic Comm. 2000 for an Elite Comm. 5000 for an Ultimate Comm. Or something like that. You already use Comms as a currency for many things, and so converting Req->Comms would give players options for what they want.

NICE thanks man! We've been asking for some ramping to the req rate for some time.

I would suggest:

1)- Please stop by the GSF forums, where we have to clone your responses to discuss GSF normally, ex:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=768165

2)- We have several outstanding bugs right now in GSF, listed at end of thread. These were changes without patch notes, and many are situations where the tooltips differ from the actual function. There are MORE of these since GSF devel paused, which is puzzling.

3)- I feel that the level of push required to get all the 10k and 15k components is too much, and that some of them have the REALLY valuable things, while most are just minor increases. Obviously just flat boosting req will solve that, but I really and truly believe the game would be more approachable, gear wise, if the 10k and 15k talents were reduced a bit.

4) "Ignores armor" weapons are a valuable part of the meta, but this isn't something a low req ship can really party with. The rock-paper-scissors of charged plating (grants 99% damage reduction) and the low-dps weapons that ignore damage reduction completely makes for an exciting meta, but it is very frustrating to try to explain to a new player the EXACT choices they must make if they wish to participate in that meta and understand it without having tons of req first. Making damage reduction ignore baseline on heavy lasers, burst lasers, and rocket pods would definitely help, presumably lowering other aspects of the weapon and then redelivering them in the talent points that currently grant armor pen. This would change nothing for mastered ships, while allowing us to have a better thing to tell players who complain about hitting a bomber for 2 than "tunnel all your requisition into heavy lasers until you have the tier 4 upgrade, then your laser will hit for 400".

5)- Please consider making the UNLOCKING of all components free- that is to say, the ability to use, say, ion cannon, should be free instead of 2000 requisition, while the talent tree would still be normal.

5A- Sunk cost fallacy, please avoid this! Right now, a new player will often buy a 1000 point (tier 1) upgrade, because that is cheaper than changing to a new weapon (costs 2000 req). The new weapon would have been a gamble for him: he doesn't know whether unlocking quad laser for 2000 is going to give him more raw power than putting 1000 requisition into rapid fire laser. Once he has spent it though, now he considers himself as owning a ship with better than baseline rapid fire lasers. This means he is locked into his upgrade path, not by preference, but by a little psych trick. Would you rather spend your req exploring the game, or being actually more powerful? That should not be a choice you ask!

5B- More play for new players. New players start with 2-3 ships, and their initial talents are often poor. Rather than have to learn this from the forums or spending a lot of req they don't have, it would be great if the game told them "Hey, welcome to GSF. You have a Starguard with NO UPGRADES, but you can try any of these FOUR blasters, and any of these THREE missiles, and any of these THREE shields, and any of these FOUR engines. You'll be here awhile trying them all out, so settle in! And you can upgrade the ones you like!"

5C- Once a player does actually unlock a thing right now, they then feel obligated to dump stuff into it. This is like 5A, but is more insidious, because the weight is now on the player.

---------------------

Thanks for reading. For reference:

Outstanding GSF bugs:

1- Sabotage Probe, when talented to tier 5-right ("Speed Reduced") CEASES TO FUNCTION. The probe still locks and targets and debuffs, but NOTHING HAPPENS. Our workaround is to pick the tier 5-left, which does not disable the ability completely, but many players do not know this.

2- The last patch that changed stuff didn't make patch notes. We are entirely clueless as to dev intent. The changes were:

2A: Ion Missile tier-5 talent changed from a 12 second snare to a 6 second snare. The tooltip changed to match. This appears to be a nerf, but was not in the patch notes. The general opinion is that this nerf was accidental, as this is a weak missile without much presence in the meta, but we just don't know.

2B: Ion Railgun still claims to have a 12 second snare (on tooltip), but has a 6 second snare. Was this ninja nerf intended? Please update the tooltip if it was, or buff the ability back if it was not.

2C: EMP Field had the VALUE change but the DESCRIPTION left unchanged. This field used to be a 4500 radius baseline. It still claims to be, but it is now 3000m. If this nerf was deliberate, please update the tooltip. If not, fix the ability.

2D: Description values broken by changing of numeric text to "<<1", especially as regards duration. This effects:

> Sabotage probe (280 damage over 0 seconds)

> Plasma railgun ("an additional 900 damage over" (text terminates ) )

> EMP missile ("will disable mines and drones for" (text terminates ) )

(the "text terminates" appears to be the game engine not wanting to draw whatever character is in there- this means that "dealing 335 damage to hull" and "railgun fails to fire below 25% charge" is all truncated away)

Finally:

PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH US

We have a whole forum where we post bugs, discuss balance, write map ideas, ship ideas, and talk about stuff. Devs stopping by there, especially GSF passionate devs like Jason, changes the tone of the discussion for the better, gives everyone hope for new stuff and a broader meta, etc. The very few GSF things get brought up in the PvP forum or the General forum. This is STRIKINGLY demoralizing, especially because the moment we have to come over to the other forums it often becomes a poop festival of non-GSFers begging the devs to not spend a moment more on a skill based teamplay 3D Star Wars space game that many of us have been waiting for since Clinton was in office. Please post in the GSF forums, which are active with passionate players who play every day, have every ship mastered and many complete, and often play on multiple servers, host advice twitches, write long guides, and give tutorials.

Edited by Verain

Quest Rewards

To be honest Alex, the only change that would make me want to play GSF at all, let alone more, would be to make Requisition legacy-wide. It doesn't matter how fast it adds up, having to start at square one on each alt I play is far too much a PitA and unfun to even make GSF of any interest to me whatsoever.

To be honest Alex, the only change that would make me want to play GSF at all, let alone more, would be to make Requisition legacy-wide. It doesn't matter how fast it adds up, having to start at square one on each alt I play is far too much a PitA and unfun to even make GSF of any interest to me whatsoever.

I think that GSF is probably not for you then. It's not based around having a shared hangar for all your same-faction alts. I do think that they should at least allow legacy unlocks of cartel ships, even if 0 req cartel ships. Many players enjoy leveling multiple GSF hangars, and should get that reward. Someone could walk in and say that they don't like having to level different classes, and their one 50 should get them all classes for free, but you'd probably say that "MMOs aren't for you". I feel the same applies.

Quest Rewards

And oh, I forgot one thing :

While I have nothing against new players gaining 5000 fleet requisitions to have any ship they want, I think you should lower the cost of components rather than increasing the other rewards by clunky amounts. Not rounded rewards, give an unfinished feel.

I think you should redefine the cost of main components to be similar to the secondary components :

T1 = 1 000

T2 = 1 500

T3 = 2 500

then :

T4 = 5 000

T5 = 10 000

With the exceptions of the T3 of Shields and Engine to be at 5 000 each since they are alike to T4 of Weapons/Systems, and also currently have the same prize.

In total, one would need :

3x (1 000 + 1 500 + 2 500 + 5 000 + 10 000) = 3x 20 000 = 60 000 (Weapons/Systems)

2x (1 000 + 1 500 + 5 000) = 2x 7 500 = 15 000 (Engine/Shields)

4x (1 000 + 1 500 + 2 500) = 4x 5 000 = 20 000 (Secondary Components)

=> 95 000

It's slightly less than 2/3 of current total value (152 000), and so has approximately the same weight/effect than increasing rewards by 50%... Sure, your change is "weaker" in the way you did not increase everything by 50%, but 313 or 938 are really unappealing values.

This is not the solution to get more players involved IMO, though I do believe it will help in a limited fashion. I still strongly believe the following changes NEED to happen...

1) Reduced reticule size and joystick ability added (more twitchy, skill based)

2) Reduced effect of higher level equipment to level out playing field (mild to strong nerf on equipment upgrades)

3) Single PVE map to allow players to practice OR open combat map with no objective (but limited amount of players allowed naturally)

Just making those three changes, IMO, would vastly increase the appeal of the feature. Even with the increased rewards new players are still going to drop out of the feature early on. They need a fighting chance...better controls and practice can and will provide that.

*Co-signing what HE said.....