1.2 - New Rakata Itemization

antonmb

Your comprehension level is staggeringly bad. Why would you change mods out of top end gear that was REALLY LIKELY to be changed due to poor itemization without retaining the original mods in case you liked the new stats and wanted yours updated? That's common sense.

Second, the new Rakata gear on PTS likely uses new mods as the stats are very different. They didn't simply changes the stats on the mods they originally slotted into the armor. However, when doing database switching, they have to identify an original location and identity the original mod in order to change it. Once you have changed out the mod this is no longer possible unless you put the original mod back into your armor before 1.2 goes live, let the DB changes effect them, and then decide if you want to roll with the new stats or put your mods back into the armor and keep what you add. It adds option, but again only if you used common sense and banked the original mods or have access to the original mods used.

Third, BW has said ALL purple (artifact level) armor will have removalable base mods, including Armoring mods that will be able to be extracted and moved into any other like set piece (Chest for chest). It was answered multiple times if you cared to do a little research and read.

i changed the mods in my gear weeks ago, long before 1.2 changes were being talked about. im going to be punished for using a system as intended? come on.... and i did not feel like wasting a couple 100k credits keeping mods i do not want because they suck.

it would not be difficult to change every "Advanced Assault Enhancement 25" (just an example) piece. if stat itemization needed to be changed, that is how it should be done. every enhancement of that type would be changed to reflect the new stats. there is no reason to require mods to be in the armor, just do a complete replace of every mod type throughout the game regardless of where it is stored.

and yes, i know that the armoring mods will be removable. but the set bonuses will not be transferable if the armor was acquired pre 1.2. a recent dev post stated this, and until otherwise corrected by another dev, that is what is happening.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i changed the mods in my gear weeks ago, long before 1.2 changes were being talked about. im going to be punished for using a system as intended? come on.... and i did not feel like wasting a couple 100k credits keeping mods i do not want because they suck.

it would not be difficult to change every "Advanced Assault Enhancement 25" (just an example) piece. if stat itemization needed to be changed, that is how it should be done. every enhancement of that type would be changed to reflect the new stats. there is no reason to require mods to be in the armor, just do a complete replace of every mod type throughout the game regardless of where it is stored.

and yes, i know that the armoring mods will be removable. but the set bonuses will not be transferable if the armor was acquired pre 1.2. a recent dev post stated this, and until otherwise corrected by another dev, that is what is happening.

Hopefully they just let you turn in your old gear for the new gear. That would be simplistic and most logically

Hopefully they just let you turn in your old gear for the new gear. That would be simplistic and most logically

Already said that won't happen. Your gear will only be updated if you have the original mods in it (on a mod by mod basis).

Why not fill empty slots when they do the changover? whether it's got a 58 or a 56 or whatever in it now we'll all have to pay for the mods to pull them out, so if folks were to pull mods out to get extras they'd have to pay for them and they'd only be getting the old mods anyway.

That would give people the option to retain their mods they like or get the new ones as they wish.

Edited by Shy-Nee

Secondly, the Battlemaster Mods/Enhancements have the same stat budgets as Rakatas, but with +expertise. So, it feels like you can just grind WZ commendations, pull out the BM mods, and slot them in and get Rakata-level/equal stats +expertise. Is this intended? Or do the devs intend to reduce the secondary stat budgets on the BM gear because of the added expertise on the mods/enhancements?

Generally in MMOs the top end PvP gear is always best in slot, at least as far as amount of total bonuses / damage / armor goes. Other gear might fit your build better, but the PvP stuff traditionally has the highest bonuses. Those bonuses are generally the ones that matter most in PvP so PvE gear might be better for some PvE tasks, but in TOR the stat system is so simple that the best bonuses for PvE and PvP are likely the same... hence the PvP sets are just raid gear with expertise tacked on.

there is no reason to not change the stats for all mods, barrels, armorings, enhancements, etc and make them all retroactive. that is probably actually a lot easier than having the game figure out what pieces have what mods and the updating them from there.

Georg,

Hopefully you will see this and respond, but will this update require the exact mods that were in the armor, or just the same type? Reason I am asking is because I have multiple copies of the same mod and enhancement, and I have no way of telling which exact mod/enhancement came from which exact piece of armor.

I seriously doubt the game can tell where a mod came from. Most likely when they update to 1.2 they will run a database script that will check every Rakata shell in the database and for each one it will check what mod is in each slot and update any that match what's supposed to be there while just keeping any changed mods as is. Tracking what specific item each mod came from would require a unique ID number on each mod in the game and that's a fair amount of extra data to store... I doubt they do so since larger databases = more expensive servers.

Given what the devs have told the community in the past regarding how we should handle the current itemization, it would be absolutely unfair if they did not give us a way to get the new Rakata mods/enhancements.

Taken from the March 2nd Q&A:

Georg Zoeller (Principal Lead Combat Designer): "Accuracy counters your target's ability to defend (dodge, deflect, etc.) against your attacks. You are correct about the accuracy budget on the current end game gear being too generous for most scenarios - unless you are a dedicated tank killer in PvP, you probably do not need as much as you get from Rakata gear at the moment and you should consider swapping out some mods to support your preferred playstyle.

For the upcoming tier of new gear, we have an improved distribution of stats for both PvP and PvE gear."

I'm sure there is no Rakata owner who is against updating these Rakata pieces. However, it is not fair to basically tell us that the original Rakata itemization is not ideal, suggest we use different enhancement/mods, then punish us for following your suggestion by failing to give us a way to "trade up" to the new 1.2 Rakata.

The reason the Mods/Enhancement system is great is because it allows flexibility in customizing our gear to our play style or our character's needs. Please don't punish the players who used the system as intended by excluding us from the updated Rakata mods/enhancements.

I'm glad you brought up this quote. Going to be disappointed if there's not an easier way to get updated Battlemaster and Rakata gear.

Hey, some answers.

1. Yes, we have updated the stat distribution on Rakata gear with 1.2.

2. If you have not modified your gear, it will seamlessly update the mods inside when you log into the game the first time after the patch has been applied.

3. If you have modified your gear, it will retain any changes you have made. Any mods you didn't change out will update.

4. Restoring the original mods into the item, before 1.2, will cause them to upgrade at the time of the patch.

The problem, of course, is that if you hand modified your gear, we ultimately have no way of knowing what your intention was. Maybe you wanted to use the mod you removed somewhere else, maybe you just wanted to replace it. We cannot make any assumption as to the intention of individual users when modding the item, preventing us from upgrading already modified items post fact.

TL;DR: Any 'original' mod in an updated item will upgrade with the patch. Any 'foreign' mod added to an item will be left untouched.

Hope that answers your questions.

At first glance, this looks ok..

But after some thought put into it, it starts to look something other than ok, in fact, it's kinda short-sighted. Like many ppl on this thread have suggested, change the stats on the mods/enhancements, from what I can tell by your response, you're ADDING new mods/enhancements into game instead of changing the stats on current mods, why would you do that? Coding failure? Or think tank failure?

Please, just change the stats on mods...

Oh and, is the columi set gonna be changed as well? Because as a tank, I seriously don't need so much accuracy... and yes, I had to swap out many of the accuracy-heavy mods/enhancements...

Edited by Kautious

I seriously doubt the game can tell where a mod came from. Most likely when they update to 1.2 they will run a database script that will check every Rakata shell in the database and for each one it will check what mod is in each slot and update any that match what's supposed to be there while just keeping any changed mods as is. Tracking what specific item each mod came from would require a unique ID number on each mod in the game and that's a fair amount of extra data to store... I doubt they do so since larger databases = more expensive servers.

that is far more complicated than updating the individual mod/armoring/enhancment/etc throughout the entire game.

not only would that be simpler, it would make sure armor that had its mods changed pre 1.2 would actually be updated to the new stat itemizations

Generally in MMOs the top end PvP gear is always best in slot, at least as far as amount of total bonuses / damage / armor goes. Other gear might fit your build better, but the PvP stuff traditionally has the highest bonuses. Those bonuses are generally the ones that matter most in PvP so PvE gear might be better for some PvE tasks, but in TOR the stat system is so simple that the best bonuses for PvE and PvP are likely the same... hence the PvP sets are just raid gear with expertise tacked on.

traditionaly ? what are you smoking ? pvp gear is a new concept to start with and from the day it came it always was except for some pieces never considered BiS for anything other than pvp (even without the pvp stat addition)

BM gear having equal stats+expertise is a change that will ruin the game for many, i know i wont pay a cent more if solo quing half asleep nublets who think just adding more time to the venture should earn them the best gear (aka bm gear now that its so uber easy to reach bm) yet i still have to raid to get worse gear ? seriously.

Worst change in this game, if rakata does not have a higher stat budget or that expertise is withdrawn from the stat budget the only sane way of gearing will be pvp, which is easier and can be done solo....way to listen to all the pvpers who are leaving for gw2 anyway and pissing the rest of us off.

Georg,

Hopefully you will see this and respond, but will this update require the exact mods that were in the armor, or just the same type? Reason I am asking is because I have multiple copies of the same mod and enhancement, and I have no way of telling which exact mod/enhancement came from which exact piece of armor.

Same type.

Just adding another name to the list. I've swapped every mod/enhancement on every single piece of Rakata and BM gear that I have - now I feel like I'm being forced into the position of trying to save up 10 more BM tokens and get all 5 Rakata drops again before this patch drops. Doesn't seem right, should be able to retroactively swap out the original Rakata / BM gear with the new stuff through a vendor or something.

Can someone with access on the test server be kind enough to confirm that BM mods/enhancements maintain same stats with Rakata?

Currently (1.1.5), mods/enhancements have the exact same stats.

From what I understand, in 1.2 BM mods/enhancements get expertise. Did they reduce the secondary stats, kept them the same, or buffed them as in the rakata set?

Can someone with access on the test server be kind enough to confirm that BM mods/enhancements maintain same stats with Rakata?

Currently (1.1.5), mods/enhancements have the exact same stats.

From what I understand, in 1.2 BM mods/enhancements get expertise. Did they reduce the secondary stats, kept them the same, or buffed them as in the rakata set?

First of all, the Rakata set was not "buffed" - just reitemized. Changed stats here and there, but the budget remains the same.

The BM gear (mod and enhancement) on the other hand, is overbudgeted at this point. The secondary stats remain the same but has a +25 expertise. I assume this is an oversight and that they'll balance it out to be the same as the BM gear armoring (less primary stats but more expertise).

This really shocks me... Our whole guild itemized the poor stats on BM/Rakata with 56er enhancements and switched some low stat mods and like many others, we don't wanted to pay twice the price only for keeping the poor stats!

When I look at the BM gear other ppl use, I really get sick of the original stats and at 1.2 these guys can laugh at me, because i wanted to have best performance gear?!

So now we have to grind the dailies again and hope for some BM token and roll Rakata gear from our new players?

Edited by -Balrok-

Obviously they are short on time because what they should have done is the following:

- A special "part scavenger" that accepted OLD rakata Mod/Enh and give New Rakata Mod tokens and New Rakata Enh Tokens on 1 by 1 basis.

- A special "new part vendor" were players could trade their "New Rakata Mod/Enh Tokens" into new Rakata Mods and Rakata Enh, again, on a 1 by 1 basis.

All Rakata gear acquired after 1.2 will have all their Mod/Enh labeled as new, preventing post 1.2 Gear to benefit from this "conversion" mechanism.

And voilá, with independence if you were a pack-rat, if you did or did not mod... Every1 will be able to trade old mods/enh for new ones on a 1 vs 1 basis, ONCE.

The above approach is how things should be done each time you update a system of items composed of independent parts, not just because it's fairer for every1, it's because you give in hands of your custommer the decission on which part loadout is better for their gameplay, saving you the hassle to check one by one each container to "guess" which part you leave from which part you change...

...And BW will find this situation more times in the future but...

...Due to the lack of time, they will simply go with this "dirty approach" that will penalize more the ppl that has been using the related gear for longer (and thus has more chances to overwrite/loss the original parts).

Edited by ragamer

Well now I feel stupid for vendoring all my Rakata enhancements...

Ah well still a good few weeks till 1.2 hits live, I'll either have to try and win Rakata pieces again - or just screw it :p it's TINY difference in stats, hopefully replace them all quite quickly after 1.2 hits.

Can i ask the reason why ALL critical rating has been removed from all rakata sets but one Bounty Hunter and one Imperial Agent set?

This change would lean to a hint that Bioware saying Power > Crit, but no. The new Tier 2 sets have crit mods in them.

So how can you say one tier need 0 critical rating and another tier set needs it?

Can someone with access on the test server

Everyone has access to the PTS server.

To access the Public Test Server:

1. Log in to the Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher using your username and password.
  2. Click the Settings button (gear) in the bottom left corner of the launcher
  3. Under “Enable Public Test Server Access”, select “Yes”
  4. Click “Save”
  5. Now the bottom left corner will have two buttons: select the new button next to settings
  6. Under "Pick an Environment" select "Public Test"
  7. Click "Next" and you will begin patching on the Public Test Server*
  8. Click "Play"

Sure you may need to make a toon, and get to fleet (not very hard I might add).

As a PT tank, I had to 'fix' BW's atrocious itemization by swapping in columi mods. So apparently I get screwed now? LOL wow BW

EXACTLY HOW I FEEL!!!!!!!!!! please pleaseeeee make it another piece of the armor.. As a sheildtech PT who wants to dps i had to get double the pvp gear just to switch out the mods and if the set bonus goes with it then i could not do that and it would make the armor MUCH more restrictive. The only way it would work is if you had a choice to leave or change the set bonus OR make the bonus another mod to the armor.... so it could be armor, mod, enhancement, possible augment, and the new SET BONUS PIECE

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has access to the PTS server.

To access the Public Test Server:

1. Log in to the Star Wars: The Old Republic launcher using your username and password.
  2. Click the Settings button (gear) in the bottom left corner of the launcher
  3. Under “Enable Public Test Server Access”, select “Yes”
  4. Click “Save”
  5. Now the bottom left corner will have two buttons: select the new button next to settings
  6. Under "Pick an Environment" select "Public Test"
  7. Click "Next" and you will begin patching on the Public Test Server*
  8. Click "Play"

Sure you may need to make a toon, and get to fleet (not very hard I might add).

I know but thanx anyways. The download is a bit prohibitive from where i currently connect so I cant download the PTS.