Pulling before the tank

The truth is that only healers are team players.

'I see you are struggling, and I could solve this with one button. Instead, I shall stand here and do nothing, or I'll run off and pull a different mob. That will teach you to not do things exactly as I desire.'

DPS just want to kill stuff. Tanks are DPS who want to feel important.

So, I'm supposed to stand there and wait eventual death?

You do realize that some of the Maras/Sentinels/Sorcs like to troll people in KDY by pulling all nearby groups.

Tell me one good reason why I should not cloak and walk away.

Edited by Halinalle

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'I see you are struggling, and I could solve this with one button. Instead, I shall stand here and do nothing, or I'll run off and pull a different mob. That will teach you to not do things exactly as I desire.'

I am a little stunned to hear someone say this. I don't think I've ever seen anyone express this viewpoint before.

A good tank is worth their weight in gold. They give up 60% of the damage they COULD do, for the sole purpose of controlling the battlefield so the rest of the group can survive. They position bosses to they can be killed. They help keep the healer alive. They have to look at Toth's junk while the ranged dps get a nice view of the battle. ;)

Perhaps you've never met a good tank? Perhaps you're on too many ignore lists to actually meet one?

I am a little stunned to hear someone say this. I don't think I've ever seen anyone express this viewpoint before.

A good tank is worth their weight in gold. They give up 60% of the damage they COULD do, for the sole purpose of controlling the battlefield so the rest of the group can survive. They position bosses to they can be killed. They help keep the healer alive. They have to look at Toth's junk while the ranged dps get a nice view of the battle. ;)

Perhaps you've never met a good tank? Perhaps you're on too many ignore lists to actually meet one?

It looks like people who have never met a good tank think like that.

For me it's always Mando Raiders or Foundry that has great tank in group. They are usually Powertechs/Vanguards:

- if healer isn't struggling with their resources as soon as you kill that last mob you see tank already running to next group so that they can build up enough threat to annoy most aggro stealing Marauders/Sentinels (there just isn't a way to steal aggro from these tanks even if you wanted)

- If healer is struggling they give healer enough time to rest a bit.

I've personally never met a really bad tank (if we exclude myself). Of course some of the tanks I've met open with taunt but it didn't ruin their overall performance, it's just wrong way to use taunts. Most of the tanks I've met are good enough but nothing more. So it's sometimes really nice to get to group with really good tank.

Edited by Halinalle

I disagree. I am a healer and I have seen a number of team players which are tanks and DPS. I would state it would depend on the group but that may be because I normally run with my boyfriend or my guild and rarely do I ever do group finder but in the few times I have done them most have been team players.

oh that's so wrong.

every role can be a team player and as a career player I can tell you right now, I can be extremely vindictive. team player or not - I have tools at my disposal that allow me to punish people for misbehaving more effectively than any tank could - its part of the appeal of playing a healer in a first place.

thing that I love about SWTOR group content is that everyone is important and for success of the group - everyone needs to be a good team player - dps are extremely important in this game, they can make or break the run just as much as tank or healer can. and many people understand that and adjust accordingly. including- ESPECIALLY tanks. who aside from overeager dps - set the pace and more often than not - that pace is dictated by how the rest of the group performs. do they kill things quickly, is the healer struggling? tanks are the ones that have to adjust and adopt and yes, it can get frustrating when all you are trying to do is get the run going smoothly. but being a tank can be a thankless job, becasue you deal very little damage, you don't see big numbers, you cannot salvage bad situation like a good healer can. you are there to be the glue. why do you think so few people tank? because rarely what they do is appreciated.

This, a hundred times this, and the point about slow tanks, I normally chain pull when I am tanking unless I am really low on HP or the healer is ****** geared. It was one of the biggest problems I faced when I was DPS:ing, tanks doing ready checks before trash packs or just standing around waiting when everyone is ready and at 100% health.

I tend to votekick such tanks right before last boss with some snarky message (as I mostly play with guildmembers the tank is kicked) and then do it with another DPS companion instead. Thankfully I think a lot learnt from it since now this problem with slow tanks isn't such a regular issue anymore.

EDIT: Nvm I shouldn't stoop down to your level.

One thing I still do want to ask you:

Do you act like a jerk too against your friends and guildmates? Do you also kick them out of the group and finish it with a companion of yours?

If not, what does make it different for you to differentiate between innocent pugs and guildmates/friends? Since if you are really a Darksided rp'er you would betray your friends too.

In any case I feel sorry for the people who have to put up with you.

Edited by fire-breath

@RikuvonDrake: please tell me the names of your characters so I can put them on ignore now.

There is a big difference between Darkside V RP and being an ***. Unfortunately, you're just an *** (who also disrespects RPers! double whammy!).

As someone who plays tanks almost exclusively, and runs a lot of FPs using Groupfinder, I must say that there are some folks in this thread who I just never want to group with, ever. DPS who wants to feel important? I am just ...

KDY and other tactical flashpoints will ruin casual teamplay in this game. It has already started.

That's the point.

In tactical fps I don't have to respect it as there is no need for a tank

It doesn't mean

- you're allowed to pull every mob in the room

- running around in empty orange gear and act as a tank ("B... Bu... But there's bolster!")

KDY has already gone bad. Two bad runs today for me. First one had two SIs from one of the worst PvE guilds on my server. First they wasted time by killing the champion even though bonus quest was already lost (seriously it's only 3k XP) and then when I mentioned that they replied with "there's no thing as time, there's only the rage". In next scenario (Holding Cells) they pulled both rooms at the same time (cloak/bubble + force speed = highway to trolling).

Edited by Halinalle

It doesn't mean

- you're allowed to pull every mob in the room

- running around in empty orange gear and act as a tank ("B... Bu... But there's bolster!")

KDY has already gone bad. Two bad runs today for me. First one had two SIs from one of the worst PvE guilds on my server. First they wasted time by killing the champion even though bonus quest was already lost (seriously it's only 3k XP) and then when I mentioned that they replied with "there's no thing as time, there's only the rage". In next scenario (Holding Cells) they pulled both rooms at the same time (cloak/bubble + force speed = highway to trolling).

well... to be fair, champs drop rep items and potentially kits. so even if you wasted a bonus - it might still be worth it to kill one.

That's the point.

In tactical fps I don't have to respect it as there is no need for a tank

Thats a non issue. Current content already didn't require the holy trinity. Don't be blinded by what groupfinder tells you whats needed.

HM 55 are perfectly doable with 3 dps and 1 healer. Heck ..... lv55 HMs can be solo'ed by any class if you really want.

Its even better in lowbe flashpoints. There the need for a (off)healer or tank is gone too. I'm not talking about tactical flashpoints but for example a lowbe Taral V. My guildies went in with a group barely above the required level and were able to complete the full flashpoint including bonusboss with 3 dps and 1 tank. DPS were a sentinel, shadow and gunslinger so they couldn't offheal.

In short:

If there is a tank present you respect him/her/it providing he is trying to do his job (key is trying, not performing it without errors).

Life is hard as a Darkside V Roleplayer, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Cut the BS, votekicking has nothing to do with roleplaying at all. If you can't deal with a tank who's too careful (which is a dream compared to the real problems you can face in groupfinder), perhaps because he's new to the job and doesn't have the confidence to do it right, why pug at all? Since you "mostly play with guild mates", I'm sure you can do it with three.

PS: they are right, you're an ***.

in traditional FPS i get annoyed when DPS pulls before the tanks but in KDY, I don't really care even when I'm in "tank" role, it's almost impossible to hold all the mobs in KDY as a lowbie tank anyway. Edited by ShaanuJaanu

well... to be fair, champs drop rep items and potentially kits. so even if you wasted a bonus - it might still be worth it to kill one.

- Already Legend so that would be only few credits for me.

- KDY kits... There's no way Greed roll wins vs 3x Need.

Edited by Halinalle

in traditional FPS i get annoyed when DPS pulls before the tanks but in KDY, I don't really care even when I'm in "tank" role, it's almost impossible to hold all the mobs in KDY as a lowbie tank anyway.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Tactical flashpoints are designed to be run by any combination of roles. As a tank in a tactical flashpoint, I generally don't care. It's their heal pool, not mine. As a healer, it gives me something to do and as a dps, well same point of view as a tank.

Hardmode flashpoints are a different story. If you initiate combat prior to me as a tank, I'll either say something about it or let you die and then take control of the situation. ;)

Tactical flashpoints: Pulling before the tank is fully acceptable and should be encouraged.

HM flashpoints: You pull it - you tank it, baby!

I had a tank in KDY rage at me and call me a "stupid dps" since I kept using Force Speed and Rocket Boost to charge in waaaaaay before he made up his mind about finally using Storm. Slow tanking drives me bonkers in HM flashpoints and having a tank in a tactical fp that insists he has to engage First was just... WTFFFFFFFF :eek:

So with the new tactical fp's it is possible to get into a group with 4 dps, 4 heals, 4 tanks, or any combination of that.

So why when you get a tank, 2 dps, and a healer do we ignore the trinity in tactical Fp's, moreover why do people ignore that their is a tank and jump on ahead and pull before the tank? Is it because we all know they (tactical fp) are easy?

I guess as a tank i get annoyed when people pull before me, as a healer i get annoyed when people pull before the tank cause NO MATTER how "OP" that particular person is pulling before the tank requires ME AS HEALER to work harder, and i REALLY hate as a DPS when the healer pulls before everyone.

Now, is this because people are IMPATIENT or do they really see the encounter as NON-THREATENING?

I'm inclined to assume most of you who are guilty of this are just impatient and use the reason "it is easy" as an excuse for your lack of patience. That is all. /endrant.

I don't have a signature, but i play on The Shadowlands.

If you are a healer stop healing the person pulling before the tank. That will change their tune REAL quick.

Tactical flashpoints: Pulling before the tank is fully acceptable and should be encouraged.

HM flashpoints: You pull it - you tank it, baby!

Pretty much this for me. In fact I prefer if someone else pulls ahead of me in a tactical FP. For HMFP, if I encounter a DPS like that, I either let him die or simply quit the FP if the DPS refuse to listen.

I once met a very nervous tank in HMFP. We kept telling him he's doing good for a 1st time tanking, but then he made ONE screwup and he instantly left the group before we could, y'know, maybe ease his feelings.

It's also fine with me if it's an overgeared DPS pulling ahead. My style is this: I will just become a backup DPS and never taunt mobs off to see if the healer can keep him up for the rest of the run. It's quite fun.

If you are a healer stop healing the person pulling before the tank. That will change their tune REAL quick.

When I get my newest IA to FPs I plan to do this. Not just for amusement (not saying it's not important factor).

Do you think it might work on tanks too? When they slap guard on you. :rak_04:

Why not just right click it? It used to remove it.

Edited by Halinalle

When I get my newest IA to FPs I plan to do this. Not just for amusement (not saying it's not important factor).

Since I started on this account I have found it is the MOST effective way of getting DPS to stay in line. Now obviously in tactical flashpoints this is not a good strategy when it is 3 DPS and a healer but if we have a tank in the group I expect EVERYONE else to let them tank. I don't care if we are all super geared. Despite your gearing when DPS pull it just makes extra work for me as the healer.

When i'm tanking and a DPS pulls before me on purpose, I leave them to it and see how messed up they get!

If you pull it, you tank it!

You're a really nice person. <3

I just run through the mob they've aggroed and engage the next one. The healer runs after me and the trigger happy derp gets pwned really fast. The other one gets killed too if they're dumb enough not to follow me and the healer. Gotta love sentinels. :D

Edited by slafko