Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0

Werdan

You seem to know about the merc class so can you tell me what the pushback bonus means when you have the stabaliser skill that you gain in the skill tree.

Without the skill, it can take longer to cast certain abilities when being attacked. Each time you're attacked, your cast gets "pushed back". While not much of an issue in PvE, this is a must for PvP. You can get this skill to reduce pushback by 75% with 3 points, or 105% when you use Energy Shield and have the Power Shield skill (1 pt).

This will probably be the last time I post in this thread as I have pretty much retired my BH after almost 10 months (includes beta) of playing one. I've been informed by the mods that unless I update my guide, they will unsticky it. Not sure what there is to update as most of the information here is still pretty relevant even with the changes in 1.2.

In any case, thanks to all the players who kept this pseudo guide alive while I moved on to another class (Marauder, FYI). If the mods do decide to unsticky it, I'm sure it will still be kept near the front page due to other players keeping it fresh with questions and answers.

Peace

Trace-BH Mercenary (retired)

Anchorhead PvP server

Edited by Werdan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
Arsenal merc here, whats the best thing to use after you use up the three tracer missles+ heatseeker + railshot as heatseeker hits? Just unload tracer missle proc unload?

If this is a long-term PVE fight, then don't put Fusion Missile out of the fight. Fusion missile does a lot of damage in a relatively short period of time. If you need to use Thermal Sensor Over-rides to get it into your rotation, go ahead. Arsenal has very little issue with heat management with the random Rapid-Shots placed here or there to mitigate.

As you suggested, unload should be used at almost all times whenever Barrage procs, other than if it may incur the loss of your tracer stacks. You can use a tracer every other, or every other-other, attack to sustain the 5-stacks. Spamming tracers is bad heat management.

Don't fear using power-shot either to proc Barrage. Don't forget about Death From Above. As Arsenal, you're more than four buttons. You were given over 30 skills. Use them to effect.

Edited by Koyaanisqat

If this is a long-term PVE fight, then don't put Fusion Missile out of the fight. Fusion missile does a lot of damage in a relatively short period of time. If you need to use Thermal Sensor Over-rides to get it into your rotation, go ahead. Arsenal has very little issue with heat management with the random Rapid-Shots placed here or there to mitigate.

As you suggested, unload should be used at almost all times whenever Barrage procs, other than if it may incur the loss of your tracer stacks. You can use a tracer every other, or every other-other, attack to sustain the 5-stacks. Spamming tracers is bad heat management.

Don't fear using power-shot either to proc Barrage. Don't forget about Death From Above. As Arsenal, you're more than four buttons. You were given over 30 skills. Use them to effect.

How would you adjust this for 2.0? Is electronet in any place to be used in a opening rotation? Also, isn't tracer getting a buff that just makes one stack neccesary? im confused D:

How would you adjust this for 2.0? Is electronet in any place to be used in a opening rotation? Also, isn't tracer getting a buff that just makes one stack neccesary? im confused D:

It is, but you'll still need multiple casts to build up your Tracer Lock stacks for Rail Shot.

Electro Net is VERY cheap (8 heat) and should probably be added in every time it's off cooldown, particularly on targets that move(Kephess the Undying, Kel'Sara, I'm looking at you!). If it's a target that only moves periodically, try to save it for when the target is going to move, as it'll do more damage that way.

It is, but you'll still need multiple casts to build up your Tracer Lock stacks for Rail Shot.

Electro Net is VERY cheap (8 heat) and should probably be added in every time it's off cooldown, particularly on targets that move(Kephess the Undying, Kel'Sara, I'm looking at you!). If it's a target that only moves periodically, try to save it for when the target is going to move, as it'll do more damage that way.

Does the damage have a cap? Or does it straight up punish people who move too damn much?

Also, Suppose they use the CC breaker and are able to charge me, would the damage gain A TON of they charged a good distance, or would nothing change after the charge?

I didnt play at all on PTS, but here is my opinion based on....well....my opinion lol

Electro Net in ranked warzones might be used every time its up, to seal the deal so to speak. But obviously I really don't know yet.

But in unranked, I'm probably not going to use it the same way. Its use for me will be directly related to saving my own ***, more often than not. Here is an example:

Standard case of "Mara is all over you". This happens quite often and usually you don't have the upper hand. You will already have heat built up, attacks on cooldown, and partial loss of hit points. You are in no shape to go toe-to-toe with a Marauder when they arrive at your doorstep.

1) (Assuming their resolve isn't full)

2) Power Surge + Concussion Missile - (this trick never used to work because they don't need to save their stun breaker against us, and will usually break this)

3) Now if they break the 8s CC, you slap them with the Electro Net and are in solid shape

If you just slap on the Electro Net at the beginning, they can potentially Stun Break it and not be snared. At which point you can no longer CC them due to the Electro Net DoT.

I'm not saying its a foolproof tactic. But the addition of Electro Net actually enhances the use of our CC (which was pretty rare to use efficiently).

Edited by DarthBloodloss

But in unranked, I'm probably not going to use it the same way. Its use for me will be directly related to saving my own ***, more often than not.

If I am in unranked, I am saving ElectroNet for targetted sages and scoundrels to ensure they're not escaping my incoming burst volley.

If I am in unranked, I am saving ElectroNet for targetted sages and scoundrels to ensure they're not escaping my incoming burst volley.

Yea that's good too. Teammates will love it

But I feel that on my Merc, my main weakness is avoiding Maras+Jugs long enough to kill them. Yes, occasionally a target will slip away, LOS, etc. But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as not having KB or Stun (or Electro Net) when a Mara leaps at me.

My current strategy is to save Stun and KB, and only use them on melee toons (of course there are rare exceptions).

Does the damage have a cap? Or does it straight up punish people who move too damn much?

Also, Suppose they use the CC breaker and are able to charge me, would the damage gain A TON of they charged a good distance, or would nothing change after the charge?

The way it works, I believe, is that the more they move, the more stacks they get. Up to 5 stacks for non-players and 10 stacks for players. Each stack increases the damage the dot deals by 20%.

I never actually got around to testing the ability, unfortunately, so I can't say how it interacts with charge after a CC break.

Edited by JimmyTheCannon

1) (Assuming their resolve isn't full)

2) Power Surge + Concussion Missile - (this trick never used to work because they don't need to save their stun breaker against us, and will usually break this)

3) Now if they break the 8s CC, you slap them with the Electro Net and are in solid shape

Just so you know, this tactic will not work vs. a good Mara. Assuming the Mara just used Force Leap to get next to you, he can easily use his cc breaker to remove Concussion Missile. Once you Electro Net him, he uses Intimidating Roar. Then he can wait out the Electro Net effect since in the last 3 seconds, he can use Crippling Slash and Deadly Throw. He will take no damage from movement. Then he will leap right back to you with Obliterate. If the Merc uses his cc breaker on the Intimidating Roar, the Mara uses Force Choke to achieve the same effect although the Mara may need to move for 1 sec and add in a Force Scream.

Now, it will be the case that initially in 2.0, many melee will run around like chickens with their heads cut off after you apply Electro Net. And they will die. And complaints about Electro Net will flow. It may even be nerfed in 2.1. But once melee learn how to deal with it, Electro Net is ineffective at close range. Electro Net must be applied at beyond 15m range in order to be effective. And even then, all it does is absorb an enemy cc breaker. That's better than nothing of course. But Mercs remain a free kill for any good melee once the melee gets at point blank range.

Just so you know, this tactic will not work vs. a good Mara. Assuming the Mara just used Force Leap to get next to you, he can easily use his cc breaker to remove Concussion Missile. Once you Electro Net him, he uses Intimidating Roar. Then he can wait out the Electro Net effect since in the last 3 seconds, he can use Crippling Slash and Deadly Throw. He will take no damage from movement. Then he will leap right back to you with Obliterate. If the Merc uses his cc breaker on the Intimidating Roar, the Mara uses Force Choke to achieve the same effect although the Mara may need to move for 1 sec and add in a Force Scream.

Now, it will be the case that initially in 2.0, many melee will run around like chickens with their heads cut off after you apply Electro Net. And they will die. And complaints about Electro Net will flow. It may even be nerfed in 2.1. But once melee learn how to deal with it, Electro Net is ineffective at close range. Electro Net must be applied at beyond 15m range in order to be effective. And even then, all it does is absorb an enemy cc breaker. That's better than nothing of course. But Mercs remain a free kill for any good melee once the melee gets at point blank range.

I think the point is to net and use jet blast with afterburners to send them 15+m so you are out of range from force scream and roar.

I think the point is to net and use jet blast with afterburners to send them 15+m so you are out of range from force scream and roar.

That is a dubious tactic. It allows the Mara the ability to use his cc breaker to disable both Electro Net and the snare with a single use. At that point you still get one stun to use against the Mara - either Electro Dart or insta-cast Concussion Missile before he gets white barred. But you always had the ability to use one stun vs. the Mara. So what have you accomplished? Nothing. You wasted Electro Net. You wasted Jet Boost.

The use of insta-cast Concussion Missile is the way to go. You must take advantage of your two stuns/ccs. But you can't just use Electro Net right after Concussion Missile. It's more complicated than that. Ideally you are using Electro Net after the enemy melee is white barred. That's because Electro Net has stun-like properties vs. a melee yet still works when their resolve bar is full. Take advantage of that.

Edited by Macroeconomics

That is a dubious tactic. It allows the Mara the ability to use his cc breaker to disable both Electro Net and the snare with a single use. At that point you still get one stun to use against the Mara - either Electro Dart or insta-cast Concussion Missile before he gets white barred. But you always had the ability to use one stun vs. the Mara. So what have you accomplished? Nothing. You wasted Electro Net. You wasted Jet Boost.

The use of insta-cast Concussion Missile is the way to go. You must take advantage of your two stuns/ccs. But you can't just use Electro Net right after Concussion Missile. It's more complicated than that. Ideally you are using Electro Net after the enemy melee is white barred. That's because Electro Net has stun-like properties vs. a melee yet still works when their resolve bar is full. Take advantage of that.

I guess that's going to be all tactics and strategy, really. I myself am mastering fighting in the 4m<x<10m range, which really seems to confuse a lot of Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights.

Also, keep in mind Obliterate CAN be used while under the effects of Electro Net, without using a CC break first. They might still take damage, but it won't stop them from closing with you.

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Obliterate is only 10m? or 15m tops? I have a Mara alt and it feels like such a short range. I don't think its long enough to jump in after a KB

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Obliterate is only 10m? or 15m tops? I have a Mara alt and it feels like such a short range. I don't think its long enough to jump in after a KB

It is 10 m, yes. If you can knock them back beyond that they can't Obliterate to you. But that's another reason why ElectroNet is better used at range than at melee.

Hey guys I have a question for you all, I'm rolling a Bounty Hunter and I'm wondering for PVE dps and endgame which AC pumps out better numbers? Taking in consideration of the 2.0 patch. I'm guessing Merc? The missiles look pretty cool :) Thanks~

Sadly, Powertechs have much better DPS overall then mercs. in every field and they also rock as tanks. As for mercenaries...well they will get a huge balance in 2.0 and they will be viable especially in PVP but still they remain behind powertechs. I don't know about all the changes, but i don't think Powertechs will get that nerf nor will mercenaries get that buff to change this situation. But..i hope.

Others also say that in 2.0 every class becomes viable as PVE DPS so..you might be right :)

This is only my opinion, I may be wrong but it seems like Powertechs are way more effective than mercs now. Though I am a mercenary myself ^^

Edited by HaZmY

I'm on somewhere in my twenties right now, but I am feeling rather squishy..and I seem to die rather fast in pvp.. Should I focus on using more endurance mods..or continue as I am and just use primarily aim mods?

Reflex Armorings/Barrels, with Nimble Mods and possibly something like barrage, adept, assault or acute enhancements. They get wonky names in the 30s and it's hard to remember what's what.

The most important skill you learn as a mercenary can't be put on your bar or bound to a key; it's situational awareness.