Very general endgame questions/plea for a guide

Folks,

Let me preface this by saying that I am sure these questions have been asked and perhaps answered, with varying degrees of specificity, in other places on this forum and the internet. I have a battery of related questions that I hope people answer or direct me to a source which can, like an existing guide or article. I've brought them together here for ease of consumption.

Here we go:

What are the pve and pvp loot tiers, in order from lowest to highest?

What is the dungeon progression as it relates to tiers of pve gear? For example, what places do I go to get the first tier of pve endgame loot. Where to after I have completed tier 1? Etc.

Possibly tied in with the first two questions, where does loot from Hard Mode versions of early FPs (eg: Black Talon) fit in with the tiers?

What is the actual endgame pve loot mechanic? I keep hearing something about loot bags mixed with commendations.

How does endgame pvp gear compare to endgame pve gear?

Where does Ilum fit into all of this?

I think this covers a lot of the questions most people have when the reach 50 with respect to gear and the end game. If no sticky/guide exists, I hope that we can create a community resource.

PVE Tiers:

1. Tionese

2. Columi

3. Rakata

Technically all of these are tier 1, as they all share the same set bonus, but the higher you go, the better the stats. Tionese comes from hard mode flashpoint bosses that aren't the last boss, and can be purchased with commendations and crystals that drop off bosses and dailies. Columi comes from the last boss of a hard mode flashpoint, and normal operations, and can be purchased with commendations that drop off bosses and dailies. Rakata comes from hard mode and nightmare mode operations.

PVP Tiers:

1. Centurion

2. Champion

3. Battlemaster

Again I feel that these are all just the same tier, as they all share the same set bonuses, but higher has better stats. Centurion can be purchased with commendations that are found in champion pvp bags. Champion tokens are obtained randomly from champion pvp bags, and can be purchased with champion commendations that drop from battlemaster pvp bags. Battlemaster gear is randomly obtained from tokens that drop from battlemaster bags, which come from dailies, and require valor rank 60 to open.

When you compare the pvp and pve versions of the same rank of gear, they are very similar. The pvp gear has expertise, and the pve gear has a bit more of the primary stat and endurance. The secondary stats always seem to be the same.

There are dailies on Ilum and Belsavis for daily commendations that can be used on epic level hilts, barrels, and armor mods, as well as very good implants and ear pieces.

There is also a pvp daily and weekly on Ilum for pvp bags.

For people who just hit level 50 I recommend finishing your class story missions, which will unlock the Ilum chain. Once that is unlocked I would do the dailies on Ilum and Belsavis to upgrade your hilts, barrels and armoring, and then begin to try out hard modes. PvPing is can also be a great way to gear up, if the tokens happen to drop from the bags for you.

Hope this helps.

Edited by metusodium

Very helpful.

PVE Tiers:

Technically all of these are tier 1, as they all share the same set bonus. Tionese comes from hard mode flashpoint bosses that aren't the last boss, and can be purchased with commendations and crystals that drop off bosses and dailies. Columi comes from the last boss of a hard mode flashpoint, and normal operations, and can be purchased with commendations that drop off bosses and dailies. Rakata comes from hard mode and nightmare mode operations.

Has the community built out a comprehensive list that associates particular pieces of gear with particular bosses? Eg:

Tionese legs drop from boss x in FP A.

Columni bracers drop from boss y in FP B.

From what you wrote, for the different gear, a piece (let's say Columni head gear for the sake of the example) can either a) drop or b) be purchased with commendations/crystals.

Is this an either/or proposition? In other words, is a piece either a drop OR purchaseable? Or are all pieces available as drops AND purchaseable items? Is this true of every armor grade?

Edited by discountbarber

I have seen no such list, but it does seem like one will be coming soon. For instance I can say that hard mode Malgus always drops a columi chest token.

Yes that is correct, however with how much the gear costs in commendations it seems like by time you are geared up you may only have to purchase one or two pieces with commendations. Also it is designed so that if you are gathering Columi gear, you will be gathering/spending commendations on Tionese gear. Simply put, commendations that you will be acquiring will be for one rank down from the gear that you are getting as drops.

All set pieces can be acquired with both commendations or token trade ins, except for maybe Rakata. Non-set pieces like ear or implant may not always have both options. I don't know which is which at the moment, but you can always go check out the gear on your fleet station and see what is what.

Edited by metusodium

Also it is designed so that if you are gathering Columi gear, you will be gathering/spending commendations on Tionese gear. Simply put, commendations that you will be acquiring will be for one rank down from the gear that you are getting as drops.

Thanks.

One more, potentially n00by question related to what I've quoted.

If both Tionese and Columni come from the same FPs (Hard Modes), how is it that you are acquiring commendations for the gear one rank down from what you are trying to loot? Should you approach the first Hard Modes you do trying to loot Columni and spending your tokens on Tionese?

Thanks.

One more, potentially n00by question related to what I've quoted.

If both Tionese and Columni come from the same FPs (Hard Modes), how is it that you are acquiring commendations for the gear one rank down from what you are trying to loot? Should you approach the first Hard Modes you do trying to loot Columni and spending your tokens on Tionese?

Only the last bosses in HM FPs drop Columi tokens. The rest drop Tionese tokens and commendations.