Female Romance Options

Vasdenjas

There is no pleasing you ladies.

It is highly unlikely that any companion bioware could possibly give you you would find appealing. For the simple fact that by definition of them being companions they are subordinate to you.

I like Corso :) He's sweet in an innocent/big hearted/just learning how the world works way. I think his character is sincere though, and I like that. I am not sure about the eventual Bounty Hunter one--I know nothing about him other than what he looks like.

I just don't like Mako... then again, she's not a romance option at all for me. If she were a he, I still wouldn't like her/him though (assuming the character was just as annoying).

Edited by Jilla

Yeah! Another in the "I can't stand Mako camp." I would love to make a poll to find out how many men vs women can't stand her whining--but I don't want to come across as someone trying to find out everyone's sex. But I would be interesting to see.

Male, and I find her needy and insecure, which are not personality traits I value in a romantic partner, but since I've been going LS with my character, I figure he's really just a softy under his gruff exterior and probably has some sort of vaguely paternal feelings. This doesn't stop him flirting with Darth Lachris, though. :)

(It's a bit inconsistent that I gain affection when I say "What's in it for me?" or "If it pays well, I'll do it", which implies she's greedy and likes money, but then I LOSE affection when I have to do the job I'm getting paid to do, which often means killing someone who is begging for mercy.)

Patching/fixing/changing storylines and plot options is going to be a lot harder than simply adding a new zone or quest chain, though. It would be great if, someday, they added more branches to each class story, maybe let everyone choose one of two possible companions at level one, but that would mean re-leveling a character to see your new choices, something most people won't do. (I suppose they could do a kind of "story mode", where you cycle through each quest you've already done and pick new conversation options, or create "scaled" quests that challenge you at any level, or something.)

Anyone know if you get a marriage option for Malavai Quinn with the female sw just like the male sw gets with jaesa? Seems it would make the story line more dramatic and gut wrenching since he does betray you in the end. I have noticed that quite a few can marry their companions. would be a shame to waste this guy.........:D

You can indeed marry him. And you two talk about kids! Makes it more gut punching.

Is there no love for Andronikos Revel? At first I was a bit disappointed, and thought he was kinda ugly, but he's grown on me. At least now I stop picturing Ohgren when he talks :D

Also, the later companion you get, Talos (the empire dude that likes history) I thought was really great. His enthusiasm for ancient history is very cute. If only he was a bit younger looking. But I think he's not romanceable :/

I have a question maybe we can get a Bioware rep out here to enlighten us (MAYBE). So say that everyone's dreams get answered and Bioware releases a whole new slew of optional companions that are romance-able. What do you do with the companion you are already in a relation with, will cheating/affair/break ups be a option? If such a case were to happen how would that effect their story from that point on? I mean will a cheated or broke up companion really wanna stay on board your ship? So many options so many paths. Well that's my two /tosses two cents :eek:

I think companions choices for romances in SWTOR are actually very, very Very bad... And actually are maybe even worse for male characters? (definitely atleast on republic side!)

I think that most people wants to have his/her romance-able companion running and fighting with you (and joinig conversations..) all the time. I surely do. But in most cases you are forced to use 1-2 other 'usefull' companion. So your favorite companion will stay at ship 99% of time.. Except when you smmon him/her to give some presents and then speak with them on ship each 700+ affection? What a pointless waste. That companion coments on quests are way better than whole romance 'line' anyway. (and you can get that affection points more 'naturally')

As a Jedi Sage (heal/dps) I need tank which i have only 2 Male tank options.

Jedi Shadow (tank/dps) can use a healer - only 1 male option available.

My only 1 female comapanion is melle dps in light armor - useless for any important fight.

I hate that lizard 'thing' i must carry with me. Leaving him behind to die and just resumon him. Did bioware really thing we will 'care' about this horrible companions?

As a Jedi Knight, (at both advaced classes) you want a healer - only male option available.

Smuggler - (dps/heal) Wants a tank - Only male tank available.

Trooped is the only republic option for a male character to have Usefull companion being your romance option (a 'by the book' soldier medic... ) Not a great option, but waay bettter than disgusting lizard thing which I'm forced to travel with :/

Except trooper it seems to me republic side should be played with female players only?

Poor me, i'm a male but don't like playing for Evil Empire, it's just not my taste. So no interesting companion or romance at all for me.

On Empire side, only BH has Mako as great sidekick. Mako looks great, if only was not on empire side... :/

SW - starts with Vette, great. But later will switch to Male healer!

SI - Same as Consular, no female option.

IA - Well, I actually don't know this class at all, seems to have female healer, so if you can Tank it's the second Empire best character/companion combo?

Why there is not a single female companion tank? :p

PS: Yea, I know. My english is horrible, if anyone wants to pick on it, go ahead. I don't care :D

Actually the first companion that the agent gets is a female Tank, atleast from my perspective. Well, more like off tankish, but she's no ways a "female healer". Mako was more a healer type with some damage dealing to boot too. I admit I love having Mako by my character side. I guess I have a thing with cute looking girls as sidekicks.

Which makes me want create a SW to see how Vette works. I noticed that there's alot of hate towards her, atleast in the Beta forums there were. Not sure why tho, Mako and Vette personality are closely similar to me. One difference is probably the fact Vette speaks her mind too much, thus the slave collar option.

I won't spoil it but he's not so innocent.

Ah... story of my life. Guys always dupe me/I am always a sucker for that sweet gentlemanly stuff. Thanks for the no spoilers (of course this makes it harder for me to play my bounty hunter now since I want to know what you are talking about but want to find out though gameplay).

Female player of a Female Jedi Knight here, one who has a nice little handful of darkside points because she thinks that orthodox Jedi Order views forbidding personal attachments of any nature are pure crap. I've been having an amusing time romancing Doc.

He comes on, as previous players have mentioned, like a bit of a sleaze; I had the mental image, on meeting him, of my character and Kira looking at each other and silently mouthing "Wow, reeeeeeeally? :/ " But it's fun to use dialog options to puncture the smooth-talking-scoundrel schtick, get him off-balance, and watch what happens when you make him sweat a little. It helps that, under the lothario act, he's a genuinely good person.

Romance options are a lot more complicated to implement than I think most civilians realize, so I'm both enjoying the options I do have and hopeful for/excited about what will be available in the future. Speaking of, I expected to base my class choice on whose Female Romance Option was voiced by Raphael Sbarge, so make a note of that one for future expansions, developers.

Edited by Meira_Arirai

I have to agree thousand times over. Female gamers got the crap end of the stick when it comes to the romance options, they are few and far between and I say that because it's only popped up twice so far (with males) and I'm a lvl 39 BH.

No, I do not want to make it with Mako. She's cute and all but.. I don't roll that way.

Come on Bioware, you can't believe that theres no girls on the internets/games. REALLY. Or maybe people just think there aren't enough of us girls playing to actually cater to things we might enjoy the game. Well, keep thinking that way, you'll be right soon enough.

Good Hunting.

There is no pleasing you ladies.

It is highly unlikely that any companion bioware could possibly give you you would find appealing. For the simple fact that by definition of them being companions they are subordinate to you.

For the record, I would be incredibly pleased with a SWTOR version of Garrus. O.M.G. I love Garrus so hard.

Come on Bioware, you can't believe that theres no girls on the internets/games. REALLY. Or maybe people just think there aren't enough of us girls playing to actually cater to things we might enjoy the game. Well, keep thinking that way, you'll be right soon enough.

theesa.com/facts

Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

Forty-two percent of all players are women and women over 18 years of age are one of the industry's fastest growing demographics.

Today, adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

:)

See also:

swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1095370#post1095370

http://nms.sagepub.com/content/11/5/815.abstract

"In television, it was always a landmark moment when some minority or disenfranchised group appeared on the screen for the first time," he said. "That kind of visibility is really the first step toward leading to public consciousness and equal treatment. These cultural markers matter."

The disparity could be due to a lack of diversity in game developers [..]Without suitable characters to relate to, under-represented groups may be less likely to work in the games industry.

Emma Westecott, a games research fellow at the Newport School of Art, Media and Design, agrees. "The lack of opportunity for identification through role models leads to self-censorship," [vicious circle] she said. "Many young girls simply don't see gaming as being a feasible career choice."

Although female players represent 38% of all gamers, only around 11% of developers are women. Women in Games is an organisation intended to address the games industry's gender imbalance. Westecott, who sits on the group's steering committee, thinks that game publishers may be to be blame.

Dmitri Williams (University of Southern California), Nicole Martins (Indiana University), Mia Consalvo (Ohio University) & James D. Ivory (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University))

(That said, I heard of Bioware's Twilightgate and for the love of god please do not see this as endorsing going down THAT path)

Playing Mass Effect stuff (I totally ignored all the dragons and elves games) I found Jacob's fawning and clinginess annnoyinng and the way conversation just shut down after that reeked of "either screw or you OBVIOUSLY have any kind of conversations as equals" and, loved Jack's character (which was really sad in the game when there's no same sex romances presumably out of cowardice from Fox) and just wanted to hug poor Tali -- having seen the scene on Youtube of Jack crying and helping her with her issues awwhhhh I really don't understand people who hated on her because I knew that she would have learnt not to trust people and not show weakness for a reason, it was kinda shocking to read some of the really nasty comments on forums, the lack of empathy some people have ugh I remember seeing a "kill the *****" hate site..... but she was one of the most intricate and actually INTERESTING characters, I hope they bring her back in ME3... I used to post on the bioware forums but that woo guy put me off, I got banned for some stupid thing I can't even remember and just got fed up years ago

Edited by SelinaK

Wow, all this commentary and no love for Catboy Aric Jorgan?!

When I rerolled a trooper after getting bored with my first main (Jedi Sentinel) I was a bit apprehensive about Jorgan. Everyone told me, "hey, you don't HAVE to do the romance", but it's one of my favorite parts about Bioware RPGs--there was no way I was going to skip it. Also, I'm a chick, and this kinda stuff makes me all giddy and crap. So anyway.

I started playing my trooper and was still a little put off by the whole 'catboy' thing (in fact it's now my pet name for him, along with 'Kitty'), but after what he goes through on Ord Mantell, and after talking to him, I did a total 180. He's such a total hardass, and super serious, so when you start flirting with him it's incredibly endearing. His voice is hot, which doesn't hurt.

At one point during the trooper storyline, one of the antagonists talks to Jorgan, asking him what his name was--"Gorman? Jorban?" and I immediately chose the response that corrected the guy talking. My character pointed at Jorgan, standing there with his arms crossed, looking pissed as usual, and snarled, "His name is Sergeant Jorgan--Havoc Squad." When he asks you to help him do his personal companion quest, my heart went out to the guy. I even started to see him as handsome, much to the delight of my guild (they all call me a furry now).

I've always cursed Bioware for making characters that I completely adore, like Carth (I loved Carth) and Alistair, and now I've added Jorgan to that list. He is awesome. I spoiled the romance for myself by watching the videos online and totally squee'd like a teenager over some of it.

And I can't wait to start my IA's romance with Vector. I guess I like the weird ones. =p

Edited by Nhala

Wow, all this commentary and no love for Catboy Aric Jorgan?!

When I rerolled a trooper after getting bored with my first main (Jedi Sentinel) I was a bit apprehensive about Jorgan. Everyone told me, "hey, you don't HAVE to do the romance", but it's one of my favorite parts about Bioware RPGs--there was no way I was going to skip it. Also, I'm a chick, and this kinda stuff makes me all giddy and crap. So anyway.

I started playing my trooper and was still a little put off by the whole 'catboy' thing (in fact it's now my pet name for him, along with 'Kitty'), but after what he goes through on Ord Mantell, and after talking to him, I did a total 180. He's such a total hardass, and super serious, so when you start flirting with him it's incredibly endearing. His voice is hot, which doesn't hurt.

At one point during the trooper storyline, one of the antagonists talks to Jorgan, asking him what his name was--"Gorman? Jorban?" and I immediately chose the response that corrected the guy talking. My character pointed at Jorgan, standing there with his arms crossed, looking pissed as usual, and snarled, "His name is Sergeant Jorgan--Havoc Squad." When he asks you to help him do his personal companion quest, my heart went out to the guy. I even started to see him as handsome, much to the delight of my guild (they all call me a furry now).

I've always cursed Bioware for making characters that I completely adore, like Carth (omg, absolutely adored him) and Alistair, and now I've added Jorgan to that list. He is awesome. I spoiled the romance for myself by watching the videos online and totally squee'd like a teenager over some of it.

And I can't wait to start my IA's romance with Vector. I guess I like the weird ones. =p

I've seen videos of Jorgan. I rather like him, but will have to reserve final judgment for when I actually play a Trooper. :p

stuff

Interesting stuff, but they've lumped all games together. I wonder what the demographics change to when only discussing online games, and specifically games that call themselves MMOs, whether or not the game is a real MMO?

I'd also be curious to learn what percentage of players of online games are not heterosexually oriented. You know, the group of players that BioWare doesn't want as customers.

I've seen videos of Jorgan. I rather like him, but will have to reserve final judgment for when I actually play a Trooper. :p

I love him. In fact, when I was watching the videos of him with this random female trooper, I was almost annoyed because I didn't want to share him :3