How Safe is SWTOR from Disney?

Blackavaar

I really can't see Disney even trying to do away with SWTOR, not when they can just bung a load of SWTOR and KOTOR characters into the next Kingdom Hearts game, this is more likely than them trying to cancel SWTOR, since EA is less likely to sue and just demand some Royalties for Revan and Satele Shan. Edited by AlexDougherty

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't see Disney even trying to do away with SWTOR, not when they can just bung a load of SWTOR and KOTOR characters into the next Kingdom Hearts game, this is more likely than them trying to cancel SWTOR, since EA is less likely to sue and just demand some Royalties for Revan and Satele Shan.

How could EA sue?

How could EA sue?

Because both Revan and Satele Shan are creations of a company they own. Technically Bioware would be the plaintiff but the legal department of EA would handle the entire case.

The fact that they are created for a licensed Intellectual Property of Disney does not automatically transfer the copyright of those new characters to Disney. LucasArts may have tried to write such a clause into the licensing agreement, but both Bioware and EAs lawyers would have had to be blithering idiots to accept such a condition. Because it would have meant they would have to pay Lucas and now Disney for the right to advertise their own game (since using the likeness of somebody else's copyrighted (never mind trademarked) characters means you have to pay them royalties).

(p.s. this subject was cause for a lawsuit between Marvel and NCSoft when the former wanted to claim royalties from the later for characters created in the likeness of well known Marvel characters. The case was eventually settled so that Marvel could not claim copyright of these tribute characters and NCSoft being required to show due dilligence in removing them from the game. Marvel had to sue because all of their characters are copyrighted (that is automatic on first publication of a unique work of art) and many of them are trademarked. The settlement was important because it established that a character generator that allowed the creation of trademarked characters did not automatically transport responsibility of those characters to the owner of the game. It also established that a company could not preemptively claim damages for future trademark violations. On the other hand, it did uphold the fact that the characters were in violation of Marvel's trademark and that allowing them to remain in the game would make make NCSoft responsible for the continued publication of that violation (same reason that youtube and all other image, data or movie sharing sites must instantly remove all infractions that they are made aware of).

Edited by MGriffith

• 1 year later...
Clone Wars: Canceled

Detours: On Hold

1313: On Hold

First Assault: On Hold

Apparently Disney has no problem breaching contracts and forking over some cash to make up for it.

Considering this "cleaning house" attitude going on how safe is SWTOR against the Disney broom?

Could this new push for the CM Packs be a last desperate effort to milk this cow for as much as they can before they are forced to pull the plug? Could the end be so near?

I must admit the storm clouds surrounding us look gloomy.

Any comment, CMs?

Correction: 1313 is currently On Hold but according to starwarsunderworld it may soon be canceled.

:cool:

1313 was actually the fault of GL - read the interviews

NOTHING is EVER safe from Disney. They are like locusts feeding on good ideas and pooping out fecies for the masses. And they make a boatload of money with it....

On the other hand, BioWare is owned by EA. I guess if push comes to shove, it will be a battle of two evil overlords. Who knows who will win.

NOTHING is EVER safe from Disney. They are like locusts feeding on good ideas and pooping out fecies for the masses. And they make a boatload of money with it....

On the other hand, BioWare is owned by EA. I guess if push comes to shove, it will be a battle of two evil overlords. Who knows who will win.

Yes! I HATE what they did with Avengers, Winter Soldier and... oh wait... nevermind. :rolleyes:

Clone Wars was also be broadcasted on competitor's network.

I think SWTOR is safe. And TBH, I think Mickey Mouse ears would have been preferable to the ugly crown that they added to the Cartel Market rep vendor.

You mean the Hallowed Gothic headpiece?? I have several of those :D

Disney can't do anything, it's EAs choice.

That's not completely true, EA/BW Signed a contract to use the SW name, Lore, and everything else attached to it. If Disney chose not to renew said contract when the time came EA would be forced to close TOR or face legal repercussions.

Edited by Anaesha

That's not completely true, EA/BW Signed a contract to use the SW name, Lore, and everything else attached to it. If Disney chose not to renew said contract when the time came EA would be forced to close TOR or face legal repercussions.

True, but as long as SWTOR is making money there is no reason to close it.

Disney can't do anything, it's EAs choice.

While not far from the mark, that isn't entirely true.

EA owns the game, but Disney owns the Star Wars name and licenses its use to EA/Bioware. Disney could cancel the license agreement at any time of its choosing. EA would likely be able to get an injunction that would allow them to continue using the IP for an interim period of time while EA and Disney work out a new deal, but if no deal is reached, then EA doesn't have many options left to pursue and will have little choice but to either rebrand the entire game and remove all references to Disney licensed products or shut the game down.

I seriously doubt this would happen though. It might have been possible during the Eisner era of Disney, but I don't think we have any reason to fear our new Mickey Mouse Overlords unless EA does something drastic that could have an impact upon the way fans view the Star Wars franchise in general. And since EA/Bioware still has to get approval from LucasFilm (I might have the wrong corporate entity named here, I can't remember too well) for all game content to ensure it meets the standards of the Star Wars IP, I seriously doubt Disney would do anything that would impact EA or SWTOR.

I'm not so sure Disney already shut down the Lucas Arts Game studio and publicly said that if it isn't in the SW Movies it isn't canon.

I put nothing past large companies like Disney or EA for that matter.

Edited by Anaesha