So, my boss just pulled me aside...

Thuull

...and said asked "What the hell are you guys talking about in the break room?". I said "Yeah, we're just talking about pvp in the warzones, no biggy". He gave me the whole "What the hell is that?" look.

Apparently some chick from accounting (who share the floor with us) overheard us, and went to my boss with it. She evidently said something to the effect of "I'm really kind of worried...I don't know what they were talking about, but it sounded REALLY BAD..."

And it got me to thinking...see, a buddy and I at work queue up regularly together for WZs, and then chat about it the next day at work, usually in the break room while getting coffee. People we don't usually work with come and go from there all the time...I can only imagine what must go on in their heads. They've got to be thinking "Is that even English?"

Think about some of the mundane things you'd say to someone else who knows the game...

1. "Yeah, guard rocks. Like last night when that Op jumped you at left turret, I swapped guard to you and taunted the hell out of him and we just roflstomped him while laughing about it."

2. "Dude, did you know that an AE that nicks the tank will completely disregard his taunt on you?"

3. "And then this chick runs up spamming lightning. I force waved her off the platform, dropped her with a spinning kick then circle strafed her, interrupting her when needed...just burned her down. Was great!"

Overhearing *any* of those conversations, people would think you are completely insane.

Yep.

I was walking into work one day way back when, and a guy who I'd seen but never talked to was standing outside talking to someone on the phone.

I overheard a few things like "Novice Brawler" and "TK", and made the connection that he was obviously an SWG player.

I kind of discretely hung around til he was done, then asked him what server he was on. Turned out it wasn't mine.

In the end, that guy ended up being our CFO, and became a good friend of mine. He re-rolled on my server for SWG, went with me to WoW, and we've had a great friendship that's lasted even though we don't work in the same city anymore, much less for the same company.

I still ask him questions about finance stuff, and he comes to me for an engineering take on ideas like perpetual motion machines, battery operated cars, etc. (Kind of fancies himself as a closet inventor. :) )

Next time mutter something about assassinating Obama, and make sure she overhears.

On that note, I was in ilum last night and the message came across my screen:

"Imperial Agent George'w'bush was seen in Central Assault" Or whatever the full ilum message is.

I am a jedi shadow (but close enough to assassin) and killed him.

So basically what you said happened, cept w/ Gee Dubya.

Sounds like a lovely lady that I would avoid like the plague. "People are talking about stuff I don't understand (probably not a new sensation for her), I must go tell the boss!"

I hate people...

On the other hand, if all she heard was various remarks about killing people and r.aping people I'm not surprised she'd be concerned.

On that note, I was in ilum last night and the message came across my screen:

"Imperial Agent George'w'bush was seen in Central Assault" Or whatever the full ilum message is.

I am a jedi shadow (but close enough to assassin) and killed him.

So basically what you said happened, cept w/ Gee Dubya.

You SEAL Team Six'd him!

Yeah I imagine that it was more than she just didn't understand what you guys were talking about. Throw words like Rap, Kill, Burn into a sentence where someone doesn't understand the context and yeah I can see where she is coming from. Especially in this day and age where the media has people so hyped up that everyone is going to pull them into a bathroom stall and start a chain on them :) lol

...and said asked "What the hell are you guys talking about in the break room?". I said "Yeah, we're just talking about pvp in the warzones, no biggy". He gave me the whole "What the hell is that?" look.

Apparently some chick from accounting (who share the floor with us) overheard us, and went to my boss with it. She evidently said something to the effect of "I'm really kind of worried...I don't know what they were talking about, but it sounded REALLY BAD..."

And it got me to thinking...see, a buddy and I at work queue up regularly together for WZs, and then chat about it the next day at work, usually in the break room while getting coffee. People we don't usually work with come and go from there all the time...I can only imagine what must go on in their heads. They've got to be thinking "Is that even English?"

Think about some of the mundane things you'd say to someone else who knows the game...

1. "Yeah, guard rocks. Like last night when that Op jumped you at left turret, I swapped guard to you and taunted the hell out of him and we just roflstomped him while laughing about it."

2. "Dude, did you know that an AE that nicks the tank will completely disregard his taunt on you?"

3. "And then this chick runs up spamming lightning. I force waved her off the platform, dropped her with a spinning kick then circle strafed her, interrupting her when needed...just burned her down. Was great!"

Overhearing *any* of those conversations, people would think you are completely insane.

What makes me laugh is that you say roflstomp out loud.

People get weird about things. I once did a piece of content on our intranet, it totally related to the business, it was completely innocuous, except for one thing, it involved something that the Nazi's did in the 1940's, with get this, planting trees (not evil trees, just normal trees). It just wasn't discovered for 60 years and only then by a complete fluke. The story was about the discovery, the trees and how fluky the whole discovery was (I don't remember where I found the story but it's the type of thing that would run on the front page of yahoo).

If you can't guess what happened next, I'll tell you. I wound up in the president's office, with a SVP, because not one, but two (they probably got together and got each other worked up about it), of our employee's complained about it.

Seriously, what did she think you guys were doing? Planning terrorist acts in the company lunchroom because you were too stupid to do that in off-hours?

Edited by rainingcrazy

People get weird about things. I once did a piece of content on our intranet, it totally related to the business, it was completely innocuous, except for one thing, it involved something that the Nazi's did in the 1940's, with get this, planting trees (not evil trees, just normal trees). It just wasn't discovered for 60 years and only then by a complete fluke. The story was about the discovery, the trees and how fluky the whole discovery was (I don't remember where I found the story but it's the type of thing that would run on the front page of yahoo).

If you can't guess what happened next, I'll tell you. I wound up in the president's office, with a SVP, because not one, but two (they probably got together and got each other worked up about it), of our employee's complained about it.

Seriously, what did she think you guys were doing? Planning terrorist acts in the company lunchroom because you were too stupid to do that in off-hours?

I have no idea...but if this gives you a clue, the woman in question one time made a HUGE fuss about a few of her co-workers moving their desks around. She insisted that the new desk locations messed up her Fung Shui <sp?> and that they had to move them back.

She's a busy-body.

The important thing was the part that got me thinking about just what we must sound like when we chat game. Seriously, most of the words we use when talking about gaming have ZERO meaning outside of the gaming world, to the point where most people have never heard the terms, or anything like them.

I have no idea...but if this gives you a clue, the woman in question one time made a HUGE fuss about a few of her co-workers moving their desks around. She insisted that the new desk locations messed up her Fung Shui <sp?> and that they had to move them back.

She's a busy-body.

The important thing was the part that got me thinking about just what we must sound like when we chat game. Seriously, most of the words we use when talking about gaming have ZERO meaning outside of the gaming world, to the point where most people have never heard the terms, or anything like them.

It is vitally important that you come into work early every day and rearrange her whole area. Then be sure to leave before anyone else gets in so that you can come back later.