Space Missions: Crap or Cool?

I thought they were cool when I got my ship - now I'm almost 30 and I've done the same 5 missions over and over and over and over......get it?

I do like it though, it's a cool thing for an MMO to have. I like upgrading my Ship, I wish they had leaderboards or something - it would add something to each server if you had leaderboards, it would break up the snooze from just doing them because you need the daily reward you know?

Also ship mods would be cool, add a few color options, wing, fin, body customization so that not every ship is the same.

I'm 50 on my main and find myself still doing dailies on my main *and* on alt too. Don't know really why, they are quite simple and all but for some reason I find them fun and suitable short.

They do need some fleshing out eventually since they don't really offer long term appeal I think. But for now I still seem to enjoy doing them. The short duration I think is the key, I can fit one or two missions between some rl related stuff.

I do like it though, it's a cool thing for an MMO to have. I like upgrading my Ship, I wish they had leaderboards or something - it would add something to each server if you had leaderboards, it would break up the snooze from just doing them because you need the daily reward you know?

You know what? That's great idea, scoreboard for each server and each mission or something like that would be really nice addition.

I was hoping for the same as SWG so I was already disappointed before I tried them.

I would have to say it's a good break from the ground. For those ground pounders out there that are getting burnt out, do the daily missions. Seriously... It's something totally different.

My only gripe is loot. There doesn't seem to be the chance of ANY random loot for completing the missions. The comms flux based on whether you complete the bonuses. I don't understand why they couldn't add a percentage for a chance of some type of loot to drop. It adds replayability. Hell....people run heroics for that small chance over and over and over. Tss tss Bioware....

I like them but I was hoping for something more like Rogue Squadron. Team based, free flying, objective based space combat. And not just in space either, strike missions on ground based objectives would be great to mix it up a little.

PVP dogfighting would also be awesome.

They have a Rebel Assault feel to them, so I tend to like space missions.

My sole reason to do them as well! I start hearing the "Asteroid Field" track in me head (despite the music being played) whenever I see asteroids around! Graphic is also cool.

I think the free combat (like X-wing) if implemented, would cause the game to somehow become a simulation which needs more mechanics than an MMORPG can usually afford. I am happy with the current form, however, I think if they could spare the resources, it would be super cool to have a full scale space battle simulation (like a new X-wing) inside this game. Would add tremendous depth to the gameplay experience.

Nevertheless, good job!

Edited by Alipasha

I would LOVE to enjoy the space combat missions, however, there is no option to INVERT the Y AXIS. I cant play without it inverted. Additionally, planes IRL are "inverted" forward is down, back is up.

I thought that was my problem only! Yeah, playing space stuff with a regular Y-axis (not inverted) is counter intuitively "counter intuitive"! I don't know why that option does not affect space combat.

For the moment I mostly enjoy the space combat, even with the bugs where if I destroy certain targets the game quits on me. I just wish the made the Proton torpedo usage a bit more clear.

I can however see the missions growing stale after a while. Hopefully BW updates them to keep them fresh. As others have mentioned, I would love pvp dogfights with space combat.

crap. As a 9 time Ace in SWG ( yes I did all Empire, Freelance and Rebel), I enjoyed the more free roam aspect, pick fights when I want etc, compared to this rail garbage. I LOVED space combat so much I was hardly on the ground.

I have treated Space Combat how it was meant to be when designed, a mini-game. A little break from the real thing.

If you do that you will find it is very enjoyable.

Is it a flight sim? No. Nor should it be.

I think of it like a little arcade game on my ship.

I was hoping for the same as SWG so I was already disappointed before I tried them.

I would have to say it's a good break from the ground. For those ground pounders out there that are getting burnt out, do the daily missions. Seriously... It's something totally different.

My only gripe is loot. There doesn't seem to be the chance of ANY random loot for completing the missions. The comms flux based on whether you complete the bonuses. I don't understand why they couldn't add a percentage for a chance of some type of loot to drop. It adds replayability. Hell....people run heroics for that small chance over and over and over. Tss tss Bioware....

I love that idea as well, I know there arent as MANY ship items but if you threw the chance of lockboxes and rare or unique ship items, I think you'd have a lot more folks doing them. I did my daily space stuff today and I was the only one in space on my server, sadness haha

I have treated Space Combat how it was meant to be when designed, a mini-game. A little break from the real thing.

If you do that you will find it is very enjoyable.

Is it a flight sim? No. Nor should it be.

I think of it like a little arcade game on my ship.

Exactly a good point. I play all the space mission in about an hour. If I need a break I play some of my favorite ones again.

Are there ANY story mission chains that have a space mission component, or are the space missions entirely independent? I haven't run into any yet as of level 41. Personally, I think some integration there would be pretty cool, but the folks who dislike the style of the space missions would certainly be up in arms about it.

There are plenty of 'take an assault shuttle to location X' flashpoints. Could extend the space mission code to have each member of the team man a turret on the way to the target. Or space missions where success at a certain number of objectives results in your getting to board an enemy vessel (transition to character mode) and failure results in the enemy boarding YOU.