2 "Stand Alone" character Star Wars films announced!

Cashprizes

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Disney_CEO_Confirms_Standalone_SW_Films_150115.asp

So me and a lot of other people were thinking that Kasdan was writing Episode VIII and Kinberg was writing IX, as they were announced as writers along side Arndt who is writing episode VII. THis is great news imo, more Star Wars movies, and the fact that Kinberg is not writing an actual "episode" of the main series. That guy has the worst resume ever, he has never written a good screenplay, just crap.

SO yeah, what movies do you think theyre gonna do?

1. Yoda movie, just cause its a major rumor atm. Could be awesome, could be meh.

2. "Seven Jedi", a spin on Seven Samurai. Buncha jedi team up to protect hapless villagers against marauders. The other majorly rumored one was. Sounds fantastic.

3. Boba Fett movie, was rumored very early on but havent heard much of it recently. Could be great.

4. Jabba the Hutt movie, this one popped up on my radar this week. I could see Jabba starring, but I just really want a movie that focuses on the underbelly of the SW universe, and doesnt deal too much with Jedi or imps or rebels.

5. Any wish list movies? I think a Rogue Squadron movie, or just somthing focusing on a squad of fighter pilots, would be epic. Maybe introduce the new fighters and a few characters in the new trilogy, and spin off from there. Or maybe mix that concept with an espionage angle.

Edit: oh new info huh, nice.

Edit 2: oh, wait we do have a thread about this already... either way, if they make a yoda standalone movie I will be pissed. Of all the characters he is the one who *needs a story of his own the least.

Edited by StarSquirrel

I doubt it will be about any character or story that has already been written, but rather something entirely new that fits the action in the new movies, rather than the existing extended universe.

Of the things listed a re-appearance of Boba Fet seems most unlikely. As far as the movies were concerned, Boba Fet fell into the Sarlacc and that's it. That he survived it and cut himself free out of the belly of the dragon is an EU thing, but I don't think that they really have to succumb to recycling already defeated villains to make up a good story - doing so is actually a pretty cheap trick of the trade.

The most likely thing is that a newly introduced character that only appears briefly in Star Wars 7. Like in the matrix video games that take place between Matrix 2 and 3, Ghost and Niobe were the protaginists.

As to what I wish for - that is hard to say. Not another adventure movie maybe. Something that toys with the concept of the Force and its implication, but maybe is rather a detective movie. Or a drama of a falling knight. Maybe something that is not so heavy with action.

Or it may be the story of a war ship or so (recently seen "Das Boot" and "The Caine Mutiny" again - I like those). Action, but darker and limited to a very confined space....

However, it should have a smaller scope, not this gigantic, galactic spanning plot, but, compared to the actual Star Movies present a "small picture".

Edited by Rabenschwinge

J.J. Abrams is directing the new Star Wars movie. From what I've read the new movie will not come from books. Also, they plan on make 2-3 Star Wars movie per year or every two years. They are going to make a Boba Fett movie. But that movie will be stand alone like wolverine origins was. Part of the X-men story but separate.

J.J. Abrams is directing the new Star Wars movie. From what I've read the new movie will not come from books. Also, they plan on make 2-3 Star Wars movie per year or every two years. They are going to make a Boba Fett movie. But that movie will be stand alone like wolverine origins was. Part of the X-men story but separate.

they have not said anything abotu a Boba Fett movie

I'd want a Force Unleashed movie, or maybe the four old republic novels be turned into movies.

yeah i would like the to but the only problem is that there written in game balance so it could ruin the books

then again there are really only a couple of fights this will affect

Edited by turnoverla-page

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Disney_CEO_Confirms_Standalone_SW_Films_150115.asp

So me and a lot of other people were thinking that Kasdan was writing Episode VIII and Kinberg was writing IX, as they were announced as writers along side Arndt who is writing episode VII. THis is great news imo, more Star Wars movies, and the fact that Kinberg is not writing an actual "episode" of the main series. That guy has the worst resume ever, he has never written a good screenplay, just crap.

SO yeah, what movies do you think theyre gonna do?

1. Yoda movie, just cause its a major rumor atm. Could be awesome, could be meh.

2. "Seven Jedi", a spin on Seven Samurai. Buncha jedi team up to protect hapless villagers against marauders. The other majorly rumored one was. Sounds fantastic.

3. Boba Fett movie, was rumored very early on but havent heard much of it recently. Could be great.

4. Jabba the Hutt movie, this one popped up on my radar this week. I could see Jabba starring, but I just really want a movie that focuses on the underbelly of the SW universe, and doesnt deal too much with Jedi or imps or rebels.

5. Any wish list movies? I think a Rogue Squadron movie, or just somthing focusing on a squad of fighter pilots, would be epic. Maybe introduce the new fighters and a few characters in the new trilogy, and spin off from there. Or maybe mix that concept with an espionage angle.

Very interesting. I'd have to agree with Wolf here though, it seems a bit weird, I'd even go as far to say wrong. I mean, Star Wars is a very iconic saga. You've got 'Episodes', those iconic Roman numerals, the scrolling text, the whole set up. And having 'spin-offs' seems a bit wrong. It breaks away from the whole linear episode, star warsy format if you get what I mean. However if they're good you can't really complain.

1. I would love to see a Yoda movie, of all the characters in the Star Wars universe, this guy has the most hazy backstory. It's also just an awesome idea to take a wise master and explore his time as a learner. Yoda as a padawan, gotta love it ^_^

2. No - mainly because that would be a rip off movie, completely unoriginal and just silly. Probably also copyright infringement as well... and lets face it, just sounds like an excuse for some 'twirly twirly'. It also reeks of 'spoof'.

3. Nah, I think Boba's backstory has been explored well enough both in the EU, the prequels and TCW - making a movie about him would be a little overkill and would infringe on current material. But seeing as he's a popular character I can see a film being made on him - and if the stories good it might actually be a good film, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

4. Jabba doesn't really do much though does he? Just sits and eats and slobbers on people... :D But I'd love to see a film on the underworld. A live action series called Star Wars: Underworld is in the works though, so I doubt it. Unless they use it in a similar way they did TCW - as a premiere of sorts.

5. I was never really a fan of that kinda stuff, but I agree it would make an awesome movie. I'm hesitant on things like Thrawn, simply because they suit the 'saga' format, rather than spin offs. Yet I think these 'spin offs' will focus on whatever the content of the films are, like they said they 'fill the gaps'. It will probably be something like Marvel.

Oh and

Star Wars Holiday Special 2: Jar-Jar Binks Saves Life-Day

This. Do it. :p

Revan.

Why was this not suggested yet?

He has plenty of story behind him to make (in my own opinion) a VERY successful movie.

Because his entire story has been covered by KOTOR 1, 2, SWTOR and the wealth of EU material out there such as Tales of Jedi and Star Wars The Old Republic: Revan. A film would therefore just be a remake of existing material.

We also have to remember that Revan is not an iconic or even known character outside of the gaming world, he has no connections to the prequels or the original trilogy and will have no connections to the sequels. There is simply no place for him.

And personally I think 'The Old Republic' should remain in the gaming sphere and the EU, that is where it belongs. That is where it works. Also I think I've had my fill of Revan.

Young Han Solo and Boba Fett, you can make a new thread now

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/

In addition to bringing back two fan-favorite characters as the leads of their own films, the Han Solo and Boba Fett projects would also allow Darth Vader, in full-on black death-metal gear, to return as a villain, since placing the spin-offs within the original trilogy would mean he is still alive and hissing. That timeline would also open the door for a return from visit with everyone’s favorite degenerate slug-like gangster, Jabba the Hutt.
If this is true, I would welcome such 'spin offs' for the above reason. The next saga isn't going to feature iconic villains like Jabba and Vader - so the spin offs could be a chance to reintroduce these characters. And I'd love to see Darth Vader return to the cinema!

Well, if they are to do spin-off movies I certainly wouldn't mind something in the spirit of the Agent of the Empire comics, that is, spy thriller or 'James Bond meats Star Wars'.

Seems likely they'd plan to do a spinoff with some minor character from the new trilogy or possibly just go with an older already established character. Would be easier I supposed.

I'd like to see a movie on what happens to the clones after the Clone War, in between the trilogies, and what happens to them during the Galactic Civil War. I feel there has been enough content (Republic Commando, TCW, Battlefront games, and books) to make the clones into individual and memorable characters. But bring plagued by rapid aging, I'd also want the clone story to represent the story of all clones.