The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

Ylliarus

Please link us to where they have stated the new system is "working better."

It will be in the same phantom post / stream where Phalzcen challenged him to provide proof / link that BW plans to build off GC in 6.0.

Still waiting, Olag.

/snicker

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be in the same phantom post / stream where Phalzcen challenged him to provide proof / link that BW plans to build off GC in 6.0.

Still waiting, Olag.

/snicker

Dasty

I was actually betting he would call out my inability to link anything in my post just above it, though I was talking about information that was put out years ago and he's talking about something that was months ago, so there is that.

No, it was not intended to be fun, it was intended to prolong the grind and keep players subscribed longer. It was called "exciting" by the person who was trying his best to sell it to the playerbase. Galactic Command was essentially SWTOR's attempt to introduce elements that were felt to be highly successful in mobile games, like EA's Galaxy of Heroes. The removal of ops passes, limiting CXP and endgame gearing to subscribers, random daily CXP bonuses for various activities, and RNG gearing were all meant to incentivize players to subscribe and remain subscribed for longer than it took them to go through whatever new content was released. It was purely a business decision and it blew up in their faces, and that's why it was (slowly) changed to be more player-friendly.

Edit: They've even admitted to some of this, but I can't remember where atm, whether it was in the dev tracker posts or live streams or whatnot.

For me that system was fun. It allowed me to do what i liked the most and still slowly gain gear and other nice surprices! I want to stress though that as ONLY gearing system (like it was on start) it was stupid idea and it should never be only way to get gear. Having galactic command working on side of the ordinary style gearing system it guarantees everyone gets something out of what ever they do (and there keeping players busy doing different things) and for those who get their gear mainly from ops etc it gives bonus gear on the side.:)

For me that system was fun. It allowed me to do what i liked the most and still slowly gain gear and other nice surprices! I want to stress though that as ONLY gearing system (like it was on start) it was stupid idea and it should never be only way to get gear. Having galactic command working on side of the ordinary style gearing system it guarantees everyone gets something out of what ever they do (and there keeping players busy doing different things) and for those who get their gear mainly from ops etc it gives bonus gear on the side.:)

Yes, I should have been clearer about referring to how it began, not how it wound up.

After doing the Ossus grind for a couple weeks it's made me now hate it. I can't even bring myself to log in and play anymore as it's now become a chore or a job I don't enjoy doing and I'm not even getting paid here! It isn't fun to do the same boring loop on every character. This isn't a fun way of playing the game or getting better gear.

I don't like that I now have to juggle armour shells on multiple characters and if I don't then it will take an insane amount of time just to gear one character. I found myself needing to create a spreadsheet to keep track of which character has which shell piece for the other characters. I think gearing is becoming more and more complicated to the point I need to track characters with spreadsheets it's getting a little too much.

Tying gear to reputation is a huge mistake. You lock people into doing content that they may not like because there is no alternative way to gear. Wasn't the RNG loot crates and crazy expensive crafting materials enough of a barrier? Someone thought we needed to get rep points involved now too?

The bugs with new armorings being incompatible with old ones is a huge problem for me. It means I can't incrementally update my gear but I must purchase everything at once or it doesn't work. Mods and enhancements only working in static slots is a huge inconvenience too. I know Bioware said they'll fix them, but they haven't so far so it's still part of the game.

All I'd rather do is just PVP and enjoy myself there, but it means knowingly giving up viable ways of getting better gear. I'm okay with that. I'll optimize the gear I have so it's perfect at 252 bolster and won't pursue gearing upgrades further. I'm not going to bother with this dumpster fire of a game update because the effort just isn't worth the payoff.

Edited by Fellow-Canadian

The bugs with new armorings being incompatible with old ones is a huge problem for me. It means I can't incrementally update my gear but I must purchase everything at once or it doesn't work. Mods and enhancements only working in static slots is a huge inconvenience too. I know Bioware said they'll fix them, but they haven't so far so it's still part of the game.

Just to note:

Bioware did NOT say they would fix the issues with set bonuses not matching with older sets. They said only that it was not intended.

There has been absolutely no promise to fix any of this mess, and if you will notice, almost zero discussion of the problems even. They are being quiet as a crypt about the disaster of bugs that was 5.10.

The main reason I believe is because they cannot figure out how to fix it. The game's code contains so much spaghetti of overlapping bits combined with a skeleton developer team working on it that this will likely remain the case. Perhaps they will figure it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath and suggest that no one else do that either. There are lots of things Bioware didn't intend to happen or change, and more and more of those things will likely remain in the game, as fixing them tends to break 10 other unrelated things, causing all those interns on loan from Anthem too many headaches to bother.

Just to note:

Bioware did NOT say they would fix the issues with set bonuses not matching with older sets. They said only that it was not intended.

There has been absolutely no promise to fix any of this mess, and if you will notice, almost zero discussion of the problems even. They are being quiet as a crypt about the disaster of bugs that was 5.10.

Scheduled to be fixed in 5.10.1 in Feb.

You may want to go back and check the dev tracker because they have talked about it. Just guessing you missed some posts.

Just to note:

The main reason I believe is because they cannot figure out how to fix it. The game's code contains so much spaghetti of overlapping bits combined with a skeleton developer team working on it that this will likely remain the case. Perhaps they will figure it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath and suggest that no one else do that either. There are lots of things Bioware didn't intend to happen or change, and more and more of those things will likely remain in the game, as fixing them tends to break 10 other unrelated things, causing all those interns on loan from Anthem too many headaches to bother.

They alluded to correcting set bonus issue - but that it was not an easy fix (they actually said fixing the set bonus for 'new' gear would be easy, but fixing the existing bugged armor in-game is not).

They also said slot locked mods was intentional.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9681903#edit9681903

I believe the two are linked - the change they made to enable slot lock mods contributed to the set bonus issue.

I believe they made a choice during PTS to go forward with the slot locked mods and the bugged set bonus rather than forgoing the change to slot locked mods and leaving the gear as it had always been (with stacking bonus).

As such, they deserve a double helping of contempt.

Edited by DawnAskham

Maybe if the post could some how be linked to master mode content or something being tested on the PTS it would get some notice by the devs.

It doesn't seem they read the general forum any more. So needs to be posted in the PTS forums to be seen as credible feedback.

I have no idea what you all are talking about in the above posts.

They talking about how bad the gearing system is now, and how it should be changed to a more alt-friendly and enjoyable more customizable gearing system. Basically just go back to any prior gearing system.

Even Irving's "EXCITING" crate box system was better than this new Ossus one complete with locked in mods.

Thanks for that. There are obviously reasons to hate and like what 5.10 layed on top of Galactic Command. I tried to make a point, as have other, that there are some facts that can’t be denied, although maybe there’s some subjectivity in whether those facts are advantages or disadvantages. The truth is that there isn’t a lot of new information here compared to when the 5.10 masterwork data crystal system was proposed or when it was on test. The same objections then are there now. Many of the same features are shared with GC’s initial presentation. Love or hate it, it is our system for the foreseeable future.

I’d like to see UC disintegration rates go up across the board for all tiers of GC and for 252 pieces.

I’d like to see higher drop rates of 252 gear and MDCs in tier 4 crates.

I’d like to see that the MM GFTM raiders are actually rewarded with a faster pathway by reducing the insane resource material requirements.

I’d like to see some assurances from developers that Galactic Command in its current state isn’t being scrapped in 6.0

I have other wishes but those are the main ones.

They talking about how bad the gearing system is now, and how it should be changed to a more alt-friendly and enjoyable more customizable gearing system. Basically just go back to any prior gearing system.

Even Irving's "EXCITING" crate box system was better than this new Ossus one complete with locked in mods.

Complete and utter rubbish. By your own admission, you haven't touched the game for a couple months.

Stop talking about things you haven't played.

People like Phalzcen and I have credibility, because we have played both systems. You do not.

Some of us have the capability of distinguishing between 5.0 and 5.2 and 5.6.

Learn to nuance until your subscription runs out. I can explain the math but it's not on your side. :rak_02: To suggest the current system is worse than 5.0 is pure poppycock. Both abstractly and mathematically.

We get it. You hate the game and you want it to tank.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Complete and utter rubbish. By your own admission, you haven't touched the game for a couple months.

People like Phalzcen and I have credibility, because we have played both systems. You do not.

Learn to nuance until your subscription runs out. I can explain the math but it's not on your side. :rak_02: To suggest the current system is worse than 5.0 is pure poppycock. Both abstractly and mathematically.

Dasty

Your credibility and $4.99 will get you an extra value meal champ....

Take a look at my critique of the current system...based on ACTUALLY PLAYING IT.

If you're going to slam me, at least do us the courtesy of actually having read the thread.

Oh, I love being called champ. <<swoon>> :rak_01:

Dasty

P.S. And I'm upset by the $4.99! I spent $9.99 at the truckstop and got a boyfriend and a nice slice of pecan pie on the side with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...:cool:

<<takes long sip of martini>>

Edited by Jdast

Dasty

No need to become so emotional over our disagreement of the new gearing system Dassy. Surely we can have a civilized conversation on the matter.

I realize because my opinion is different than yours I have no credibility in your eyes, however why not read the hundreds of pages written by other players with accurate and critical comments regarding the 5.10 gearing system complete with locked in mods? I guess they probably lack credibility too, right?

As for me "hating the game" and wanting it "to tank" you are wrong.

Like I always point out to those who have a personal disliking of me due to our disagreements on the forums, don't read what I write then twist it into what you want it to say. I have never said I want the game to fail. Not once.

I have only been critical of their poor choices regarding changes they have made to the game because I actually have a lot of passion for the game.

If I wanted it to fail, I wouldn't have signed that petition Yll created, and I also would not have created tons of threads over the years expressing my thoughts on how to improve the game or commenting on the things I loved about the game.

It's convenient you don't notice those positive threads or words I have written though, you only notice the recent couple months of criticisms I have for the game.

When you learn how to read criticisms of this game and not take it personally as if they are criticisms aimed at you, maybe then we could communicate better, but it's clear you are not very objective when it comes to others writing words you disagree with. I understand, sometimes our emotions get the best of us. :o

Critiques of this game are a dime a dozen, and nobody truly knows where the criticism comes from (deep down) on each individual basis, so that removes and and all credibility from just about any criticism that calls for any type of change that can create an imbalance within the game.

No need to become so emotional over our disagreement of the new gearing system Dassy. Surely we can have a civilized conversation on the matter.

I realize because my opinion is different than yours I have no credibility in your eyes, however why not read the hundreds of pages written by other players with accurate and critical comments regarding the 5.10 gearing system complete with locked in mods? I guess they probably lack credibility too, right?

As for me "hating the game" and wanting it "to tank" you are wrong.

Like I always point out to those who have a personal disliking of me due to our disagreements on the forums, don't read what I write then twist it into what you want it to say. I have never said I want the game to fail. Not once.

I have only been critical of their poor choices regarding changes they have made to the game because I actually have a lot of passion for the game.

If I wanted it to fail, I wouldn't have signed that petition Yll created, and I also would not have created tons of threads over the years expressing my thoughts on how to improve the game or commenting on the things I loved about the game.

It's convenient you don't notice those positive threads or words I have written though, you only notice the recent couple months of criticisms I have for the game.

When you learn how to read criticisms of this game and not take it personally as if they are criticisms aimed at you, maybe then we could communicate better, but it's clear you are not very objective when it comes to others writing words you disagree with. I understand, sometimes our emotions get the best of us. :o

When you distinguish between 5.0 vs 5.2 vs. 5.6 vs. 5.10 I'll take you seriously. Until then, it's pure vitriol. In the meantime, let the people who are playing level the best criticisms (e.g. me).

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Critiques of this game are a dime a dozen, and nobody truly knows where the criticism comes from (deep down) on each individual basis, so that removes and and all credibility from just about any criticism that calls for any type of change that can create an imbalance within the game.

I know where my critiques come from. I think about the kinds of things I like to do in game, figure out if anything could be done to improve that experience, and then post my thoughts.

Or, I try to see if what a person is proposing is plausible. Hence, my critique in the other thread about the person who felt he melted because the other 4 players were in better gear.

In all cases I try to provide either mathematical or statistical observations, experiential observations, direct developer quotes/posts/broadcasts, or my best guess at a testable hypothesis. In other words, I try to back up my critique with as much evidence as I can find, and clarify what is my opinion or conjecture.

I like the current state of Galactic Command. I also like Ossus: the art, the design of the daily area (its very enjoyable from a workflow standpoint, albeit a bit time consuming ) and the new story. I like that there is new gear to strive for and achievable despite the fact that I will probably never be in a MM GFTM run.

I also think that there is room for improvement, for the four reasons I mentioned in page 2 of this thread. You are welcome to disprove any of those 4 points on a factual or evidentiary basis.

When you distinguish between 5.0 vs 5.2 vs. 5.6 vs. 5.10 I'll take you seriously. Until then, it's pure vitriol. In the meantime, let the people who are playing level the best criticisms (e.g. me).

Dasty

Fortunately none of us can self appoint ourselves as 'most qualified to criticize elements of the game.' Freedom of speech and stuff, you know.

Also you make it seem as if I haven't been on the game in years. I quit shortly before they dumped 5.10 into the game.

As for 5.10, I can see good and well how my playstyle doesn't mesh with it, I knew it before they even added this abomination of a patch when they first released the patch notes describing the gear system they planned to add. One doesn't need to step in dog poo to realize it stinks. Just face it. 5.10 is an utter failure.

You can keep attacking me with "you aren't credible" etc., it doesn't matter. I am not the only one with the opinion 5.10 has done nothing but cost the game more subs due to bugs, a gear grind that is futile, and making an already convoluted gearing system more ridiculously convoluted by locking mods into shells just to name a few things.

Why do I need to experience these things personally to recognize they are bad changes, changes I do not agree with or want any part of? I can voice my unhappiness with these changes as much as I want, and never step foot in the game again. :p

Take a look at my critique of the current system...based on ACTUALLY PLAYING IT.

If you're going to slam me, at least do us the courtesy of actually having read the thread.

Champ. Oh wait. CHAMP! :rak_01:

Dasty

P.S. And I'm upset by the $4.99! I spent $9.99 at the truckstop and got a boyfriend and a nice slice of pecan pie on the side with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...:cool:

<<takes long sip of martini>>

As someone who both hated the idea of the gear addition and gearing changes, I despise the new system, and have played it. In fact, it finally chased enough of my guildies off to ruin the last reason I was actively playing. I got a busier job, and now have better things to do than spend my little free time in the evenings grinding for gear I don't care about. The problem I have is that, with gear being ubiquitous across content types, there is a reason you would want the new gear for, say, pvp. Sure, it's not going to be the determining factor very often (if ever). But the mere fact they added a gear grind sapped my desire to participate.

Had they simply added a tier 5 vendor to fleet, all my protests would have ended. But that wasn't grindy enough for Kanneg/Musco/et al. Again, Mr. Musco, if you are reading this, I do not subscribe to your game for a grind. In fact, if the situation does not improve in the next however long I have left, I will not be purchasing more time. I have basically no guild left to speak of, and thus, little reason to remain subbed to a game I do not desire to play.

5.10 was the straw that broke the camel's back; was it a terribly huge deal in and of itself? No. Did the changes, combined with their inability to give me a decent response to the bugged world bosses I killed twice over to make sure it was a bug, finally chase me off? Yes. I hope you are happy one of your harshest critics is probably soon to be gone, Musco. I've been a loyal subscriber to this game for over half a decade, and played the KOTOR games since their inception, and you have finally pushed me off the cliff. Throw me a rope, and I'll gladly climb back up.

And before anyone starts up - I purchased 3 months time like the week before 5.10 dropped, and thus, have every bit as much right to post here as anyone.

Would you like to upsize your gearing with some matching set bonues. It’s only another $2,95. Or you can make it a happy meal with free extra bugs.

Don’t forget we are having a promotion next month called 5.10.1 with more special prizes. The top prizes are mod slot unlocks. But only for a limited time and only if we don’t run out (of time).

Fortunately none of us can self appoint ourselves as 'most qualified to criticize elements of the game.' Freedom of speech and stuff, you know.

Also you make it seem as if I haven't been on the game in years. I quit shortly before they dumped 5.10 into the game.

As for 5.10, I can see good and well how my playstyle doesn't mesh with it, I knew it before they even added this abomination of a patch when they first released the patch notes describing the gear system they planned to add. One doesn't need to step in dog poo to realize it stinks. Just face it. 5.10 is an utter failure.

You can keep attacking me with "you aren't credible" etc., it doesn't matter. I am not the only one with the opinion 5.10 has done nothing but cost the game more subs due to bugs, a gear grind that is futile, and making an already convoluted gearing system more ridiculously convoluted by locking mods into shells just to name a few things.

Why do I need to experience these things personally to recognize they are bad changes, changes I do not agree with or want any part of? I can voice my unhappiness with these changes as much as I want, and never step foot in the game again. :p

Fair enough, but I tend to take movie reviews more seriously when, well, you know, someone actually has seen the movie. I tend to take reviews on cars more seriously when people have, well, you know, actually test driven the car. But by all means, continue your broadside generic attacks on a game you no longer play. You have that privilege as a subscriber. Meanwhile, those of us who play the game will offer more specific, and helpful critiques.

In this case, we are starting to learn some things since 5.10 was introduced. Things we did not and could not know prior to release because we didn't (by definition) have the data. Fortunately, some of us have played it.

The good news is that the Ossus dailies actually don't take much time. On both Rep and Imp sides I have a certain loop I do where I can do 5 dailies in -- no lie -- 10 to 12 minutes. The only reason it takes 12 minutes as opposed to 10 is if the zone is very crowded (which usually prompts me to switch). One good thing BW did was make it so that new instances / zones will pop up pretty quickly

So, let's go say 30 minutes per character and that is an auto 252 piece. At the start you are more likely to get a useful piece given that you have 14 slots available. Obviously, that number will go down as time goes by because you're more likely to get redundant pieces.

Assuming you did Flesh and Bone to get the weapon, and you run 4 characters at 2 hours / week -- you now have 28 pieces of 252 gear plus a MH weapon. A fair number of those pieces will be disintegrated at 175 UCs a pop.

Point being: To say that the gearing is slower than the post 5.6 world I'm not certain is true. It is very, very clear though that it is still far better than the 5.0 to 5.6 world. This is particularly the case since Hive Queen SM will drop 252 gear as well. Currently, it is unclear whether VM Hive Queen will be tuned to 248 or 252. As Jerba has pointed out in awesome feedback on the PTS forum, knowing mechanics and rotation make far more of a difference than 4 tuning levels. Ergo, the 258 gear will be just gravy, though there should be a PvP acquisition method which to my knowledge does not yet exist since it requires a new type of crystal to upgrade.

That's the good. Now the bad. The current gearing system encourages you to do the Ossus Weekly (assuming its not bugged) and the Ossus Daily Weekly. That's it. I don't even bother doing the Heroic weeklies any more because CXP is gutted. I have received 2 252 items after Yoda knows how many crate openings.

Even if I want play alts, it makes more sense to run the Ossus Daily Weekly because even if I get a piece of junk, it is still the fastest way to accumulate UCs.

So, we should ask ourselves the following: Is it a good design system, assuming one is not interested in Conquest (and don't get me started on that) to incentivize people to play each character for 30 minutes / week in one zone and one zone only doing the same thing? Play 30 mins. and park is the new meta.

After I complete the story on a character, I want to play that character to make them more powerful. There is ZERO reason to do Flashpoints / Heroic Weeklies, etc. because CXP is now useful only for purposes of acquiring CMTs.

It's great that Ossus allows newly-minted 70s to leapfrog 300 GC levels and get good gear to do end game. By making GC next to useless, however, means you cannot meaningfully progress your character anywhere else or by any other activity, again, because UC acquisition rate is still fastest by running alts on Ossus Dailies. The UC acquisition rate is the key point here.

But to say that the gearing is worse than 5.0 (without distinguishing versions) and launch generic broadsides against BW blah, blah, ad nauseum isn't terribly useful. It's just venting.

<<too early for martini so takes sip of coffee with Bailey's :rak_02:>>

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Fair enough, but I tend to take movie reviews more seriously when, well, you know, someone actually has seen the movie. I tend to take reviews on cars more seriously when people have, well, you know, actually test driven the car. But by all means, continue your broadside generic attacks on a game you no longer play. You have that privilege as a subscriber. Meanwhile, those of us who play the game will offer more specific, and helpful critiques.

In this case, we are starting to learn some things since 5.10 was introduced. Things we did not and could not know prior to release because we didn't (by definition) have the data. Fortunately, some of us have played it.

The good news is that the Ossus dailies actually don't take much time. On both Rep and Imp sides I have a certain loop I do where I can do 5 dailies in -- no lie -- 10 to 12 minutes. The only reason it takes 12 minutes as opposed to 10 is if the zone is very crowded (which usually prompts me to switch). One good thing BW did was make it so that new instances / zones will pop up pretty quickly

So, let's go say 30 minutes per character and that is an auto 252 piece. At the start you are more likely to get a useful piece given that you have 14 slots available. Obviously, that number will go down as time goes by because you're more likely to get redundant pieces.

Assuming you did Flesh and Bone to get the weapon, and you run 4 characters at 2 hours / week -- you now have 28 pieces of 252 gear plus a MH weapon. A fair number of those pieces will be disintegrated at 175 UCs a pop.

Point being: To say that the gearing is slower than the post 5.6 world I'm not certain is true. It is very, very clear though that it is still far better than the 5.0 to 5.6 world. This is particularly the case since Hive Queen SM will drop 252 gear as well. Currently, it is unclear whether VM Hive Queen will be tuned to 248 or 252. As Jerba has pointed out in awesome feedback on the PTS forum, knowing mechanics and rotation make far more of a difference than 4 tuning levels. Ergo, the 258 gear will be just gravy, though there should be a PvP acquisition method which to my knowledge does not yet exist since it requires a new type of crystal to upgrade.

That's the good. Now the bad. The current gearing system encourages you to do the Ossus Weekly (assuming its not bugged) and the Ossus Daily Weekly. That's it. I don't even bother doing the Heroic weeklies any more because CXP is gutted. I have received 2 252 items after Yoda knows how many crate openings.

Even if I want play alts, it makes more sense to run the Ossus Daily Weekly because even if I get a piece of junk, it is still the fastest way to accumulate UCs.

So, we should ask ourselves the following: Is it a good design system, assuming one is not interested in Conquest (and don't get me started on that) to incentivize people to play each character for 30 minutes / week in one zone and one zone only doing the same thing? Play 30 mins. and park is the new meta.

After I complete the story on a character, I want to play that character to make them more powerful. There is ZERO reason to do Flashpoints / Heroic Weeklies, etc. because CXP is now useful only for purposes of acquiring CMTs.

It's great that Ossus allows newly-minted 70s to leapfrog 300 GC levels and get good gear to do end game. By making GC next to useless, however, means you cannot meaningfully progress your character anywhere else or by any other activity, again, because UC acquisition rate is still fastest by running alts on Ossus Dailies. The UC acquisition rate is the key point here.

But to say that the gearing is worse than 5.0 (without distinguishing versions) and launch generic broadsides against BW blah, blah, ad nauseum isn't terribly useful. It's just venting.

<<too early for martini so takes sip of coffee with Bailey's :rak_02:>>

Dasty

Personally, i think SWTOR is doing exactly what MMO'S are supposed to do. MAKE DECISIONS based on whats most important to you. Everyone has a limited amount of time to play (across the spectrum). Is the chance for new gear more important than conquest? Is running ops more important than FPs? Its not a bad thing, and teaches people to make decisions that have outcomes, benefits and consequences. I have ALWAYS looked at MMOs as a bizarro real world. There is an economy, there are decisions to be madeN there are goals, the list goes on and on. And EVERY player has a different answer to how they feel each of those aspects should be handled and how successful they are. There is no right answer, and there is no wrong answer. BW basically says (just like businesses in RL) - this is whats available - take it or leave it. And life goes on. And what people seem to forget is that BW/EA have full autonomy to do whatever they want with "your game." Most players probably don't even realize that "my toon" is not even mine. BW owns all of my toons. All of your toons. Every toon in game belongs to them.

Edited by olagatonjedi

Dasty

Frankly, I will admit... I'd take Dasty's review of stuff over anyone elses, because so far Dasty has been a font of wisdom and experience in my opinion. And I am saying this with the utmost sincerity, mind you.