The Mysterious Ancient Tome

Is there a hole in the roof above the pipe with its cover missing ?

Not that I can see - looking at the map, the pipe seems to line up with this window on the outside

http://i.imgur.com/29v4BWM.jpg

I also tried using the 'junk loot' Kezzit is selling at c3600 a pop next to the open panel:

• Hypertech Probe Device
  • Hypertech Protocol Device
  • Hypertech Walker Device
  • Irradiated Assault Device
  • Powered Astromech Device
  • Irradiated Power Device

http://i.imgur.com/4pa7Irc.jpg

But no joy :(

Also noticed this weird 'ledge' in hazmat yellow and black on the roof of the GTM - I think this is in all buildings this shape, but again - I can't remember. Looks really out of place...

http://i.imgur.com/4kn7KDI.jpg

Tried kiting the wamp rat to the three vendors to get the buff - only managed to get him close enough to one :( Got him the Desert Paitence buff. Somebody with Force Pull / Harpoon might have more luck getting all three. Also, I couldn't get it to follow me into the GTM :( Again, someone more talented than me might have more luck..

Tried summoning the new Astromech droid pet next to the open panel - but that was a strike out too...

Tried sanding on / click all around the open panel whilst I had all three buffs. Nothing.

One weird thing - I did get a seeker droid ping on top of the open panel. But after a few attempts I lost the signal. Probably just a false positive from the seeker droid area where you can find the speeder parts etc.

I'd really love for somebody to get the wamp rat all three buffs and kite it to this panel... I really think Rubiks might be onto something here...

Edited by peedeeboy

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I get home in a couple of days, I'll try checking some other buildings that use the some model as the GTM in the Outlaws Den, to see if they are also missing a ventilation panel and have the "weird ledge" as I call it - If they do, they're probably just glitches in the model.

Rubiks' observation is highly suspicious, and the best lead in AGES, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much...

I can only confirm to you that this item is "working as intended" at this time

"Working as intended at this time" could mean "doing nothing yet". The Ancient Tome, as has been suggested before could be part of an upcoming event (Rakghouls? :rak_02: )...

ancient tome isnt anything anyone will talk about for 6 to 9 months

I would advise keeping your eyes out for any news on this item

These (along with the fact that the dataminers haven't found anything new relating to the Tome) would support the theory that its not possible to utilise the Tome yet :confused:

I really hope this does turn out to be a puzzle and not just something for an event that hasn't happened yet...

Edited by peedeeboy

When I get home in a couple of days, I'll try checking some other buildings that use the some model as the GTM in the Outlaws Den, to see if they are also missing a ventilation panel and have the "weird ledge" as I call it - If they do, they're probably just glitches in the model.

Rubiks' observation is highly suspicious, and the best lead in AGES, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much...

"Working as intended at this time" could mean "doing nothing yet". The Ancient Tome, as has been suggested before could be part of an upcoming event (Rakghouls? :rak_02: )...

These (along with the fact that the dataminers haven't found anything new relating to the Tome) would support the theory that its not possible to utilise the Tome yet :confused:

I really hope this does turn out to be a puzzle and not just something for an event that hasn't happened yet...

Is there anything on the roof that lines up with the window and panel?

Is there anything on the roof that lines up with the window and panel?

Rewatching the original YoutTube video revealing the Ancient Tome

I can see nothing unusual on the roof. Also, there are several of those yellow windows on the opposite side of the building. I haven't been up there recently to see if anything has changed in a recent patch. We should defo try that.

I don't think that the window lines up perfectly with the vent shaft - the shaft is probably more like in line with the outside vent to the bottom left of the window in my screenshot - but it's hard to tell for sure. Tried checking them with clicking and the macrobinoculars - but no luck.

Again, if we find another building on Tatooine that uses the same model - and has that one window in the same place, we can probably discount it.

My original theory on the tome was that the big crack on the room is the way out, rather than way in, to the tome. After reading the dataminer rumour about being transported to the Tome from a room of 'white light', I thought of the episode of the Simpson where Homer eats the insanity pepper, trips out and wakes up in a golf bunker. I wondered if the Wamp Rat Fever (according to the description cause death, but doesn't ever actually kill the player) and desert exertion might produce a similar effect in the player, but instead after tripping out in a room of white light (near death experience?) they wake up in the tower at the top, next to the tome.

But this new evidence of the missing panel has made me totally rethink - it does sound logical, and far less cryptic, to just send something up the vend shaft (wamp rat or pet) to retrieve the tome...

That CS quote about "keeping your eyes out for news" does make me think that a clue or the last piece of the puzzle might be coming in future patch notes? :rak_02:

Or it's just part of an event :mad:

Edited by peedeeboy

We (by we I mean those of us on JC who have been exploring this mystery since Yarrec and Acteonus's original discovery.) noticed the missing panel long ago and ruled it out as nothing of note. We've tried a lot with the womp rat, since apparently the Sandclaw boss that gives the 4th buff has the same pathing as the womp rat according to swtor_miner on reddit.

We (by we I mean those of us on JC who have been exploring this mystery since Yarrec and Acteonus's original discovery.) noticed the missing panel long ago and ruled it out as nothing of note. We've tried a lot with the womp rat, since apparently the Sandclaw boss that gives the 4th buff has the same pathing as the womp rat according to swtor_miner on reddit.

Thanks for the heads up :) Can I respectfully ask, how did you get the womp rat all three buffs? I can only kite him close enough to the Jawa vendor, he won't come close enough to the other two.

Does it require two people, one to kite the womp rat and one to kite the vendor to meet in the middle or can it be done solo? Thanks! :)

Edited by peedeeboy

getting these 3 buffs on the womp-rat can be done alone. it just takes a lot of patience as the rat moves quite slowly trough outlaws den. you dont have to aggro the rat at all, it moves further as long as some player is in about 65meter range of the rat. when aggroing the rat and trying to kite it, it will reset after some distance. but when it comes near one of the 3 pvp vendors on it's natural path, just aggro and kill the vendor and the rat will get the buff.

tricky thing is, as the rat is moving in circles or more in a triangle from vendor to vendor (who have fairly long respawn timers), and it takes the rat about 40 minutes or more to complete a round, u just have one attempt per vendor before the rat will move further and by the next time it will come by, the buffs from the other vendors will be expired. so if you manage to kill all 3 vendors when the rat is in range (buff range is about 65meters too i believe) whithin one round, you will have all 3 buffs on the rat.

honestly i have never been patient enough to get the 3 buffs on the rat but i'm sure it would work. i wonder if the course of the rat would change if all the buffs applied.

Edited by johnbgood

Oh, just another wird thought of mine : Womprat getting all buffs -> becoming Sandclaw ? It's unlogical, I know it.

The crack in the roof could also mean that the tome went into the building by causing this crack - must've been a really "hard" tome, then. ;)

I imagined a cutscene : You touch the tome, and thenm some flying critter arrives through the crack in the roof ... grabs the tome and flies away with it ... :D;) This wouldn't be seen from the outside, since this would be a cutscene, but the crack would give the logical "entrancey" for that critter to arrive within the building ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Oh, just another wird thought of mine : Womprat getting all buffs -> becoming Sandclaw ? It's unlogical, I know it.

I was thinking: Well-Fed Womp Rat = Plump, Juicy Womp Rat = Bait for SandClaw :rak_02:

According to the Codex entry for Duneclaws, they are "omnivorous" (tasty womp rat!) and "duneclaw is able to navigate in dim light through echolocation and can easily pick up sound waves made by other creatures".

Echolocation immediately made me think of the seeker droid - could Duneclaws be fooled the way dolphins are fooled by military sonar (allegedly)? So I spammed the seeker droid everywhere. Nothing. I also went on a dewback killing spree, so they made some noise. Nothing.

The codex also says: " For this reason, duneclaws can often be found hunting prey near Tatooine’s cliffside caves and other dark enclosed spaces" , so I tried kiting the womp rat into every corner and dead end near the cliffs of the Outlaw's Den. Nothing.

The only perhaps slightly useful thing I have found out so far, is that the medical centres in Mos Ila and Largona use a near identical model to the GTM in the Outlaw's Den. Only the medical centres aren't missing a ventilation panel, and don't have the "weird ledge" in them either.

http://imgur.com/DrUgJct

EDIT: Thinking more about 'echolocation', I thought of the Burba Seismic Excavator. I tried spamming it all over the Outlaw's Den - including in the open vent inside the GTM (it fits in there nicely!) as a sonar ping through an air vent would make a crazy echo. But nothing.... didn't have the buffs at the time though, as somebody else had already killed the vendors.

Slightly interesting point - dropping the Seismic Excavator next to Kezzit make it explode (as Kezzit has a HK part in his possession), and Kezzit react with it - but doesn't do him any damage, nor aggro him.

Out of interest, and probably completely unrelated, did anyone ever figure out if it is possible to get the 'upgraded' versions of the Seismic Excavator? http://www.torhead.com/search/burba - long shot hope that if echos are related somehow, a more powerful ping might be the answer... maybe aggroing Kezzit for the elusive fourth buff...

I guess they were probably going to be for Cybertech crafters, but never implemented?

But otherwise, I've tried very little and now I'm all out of ideas :(

Edited by peedeeboy

I'm in the den regularly, and have visited the rooftop on several occasions, noticing it as well. I'll be sure to look out for some more discerning stuff hopefully that can help solve this mystery. (especially if it's to do with the galactic stronghold/guild stuff).

Out of interest, and probably completely unrelated, did anyone ever figure out if it is possible to get the 'upgraded' versions of the Seismic Excavator? http://www.torhead.com/search/burba - long shot hope that if echos are related somehow, a more powerful ping might be the answer... maybe aggroing Kezzit for the elusive fourth buff...

I guess they were probably going to be for Cybertech crafters, but never implemented?

...wait, you can break those down? I need to send one to my Cybertech, pronto.

Hmm...is it actually possible to get the Burba Prototype Burst Scanner? Based on its description, if any Burba stuff could wake up the Duneclaw, it would be that one...maybe by reverse engineering a Burba Seismic Excavator/Scanner Rev. C? If they (rev B, rev C, and the burst scanner) AREN'T obtainable yet, maybe we should bug BioWare until they are. :p Edited by DarthVitrial

:sy_empire:I've been investigating this mystery of surrounding the Ancient Tome for a while now, and I want to share my theories. I really do like the theory of "Blood for the Blood God" and there are legacy achievements for killing players in the Den. The "Guild Flagship Buff" however, I gotta shoot this one down due to it being implemented in the Stronghold update, while the tome was there since I believe 1.0. Now, my personal theories. I believe that the Well Fed Womp Rat getting the Three Buffs is 90% chance on purpose, or 10% insanely coincidental glitch. The seeker droid kept pointing me straight into walls all around the Den, but this may be pushing it considering like I said, the tome was implemented during 1.0. Although I find the Mysterious Door To...Whatever waits on the other side of a door found by dataminers quite interesting, it seems like none of the walls are accesible except Force push/pull. The Sarlacc Pit has captured my attention for the reason of it being that it just seems...out of place...even on Tatooine. I just feel like it belongs to this even with it being out of the Den. This is all I have compiled in a nutshell, and one more thing. Devs, we all know you've seen this thread. we aren't even asking for hints we just want to know if our search is worth our time. PLEASE ANSWER.:sy_empire:

We got an answer :

This is from the Cantina Tour report :

ancient tome isnt anything anyone will talk about for 6 to 9 months.

Source : http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6942072&postcount=31

(Still feel a little offended by the double negations..)

Anyways, this was back in November, I hope they have sth. to offer with the upcoming GU 2.8 .

I am going mad if they just remove the Tome or add another vendor up there, but I will go through everything I've tried so far again when 2.8 hits. If anybody got any ideas that haven't been tried by now, please share your thoughts.

And BW, pls tell us at some point if there is sth. out in the Outlaws Den or not.

:ph_thank_you:

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's weird that BW is unable to catch the ball people threw at them in this and other threads. :rolleyes:

Almost as weird as the fact, that this tome was around since at least 1.5 years and nobody, absolutely NOBODY at Bioware felt obliged to tell the players, that they are wasting their time with something, that either was a leftover, or never had a meaning in the first place. People begged for months, that someone from Bioware could clear up the confusion, instead, some people at BW felt it was important, to be as mysterious as possible about it, to keep players digging for a secret, that never really existed.

Nice to see, that finally someone at Bioware had some guts to spit it out. Too bad that it was 1.5 years too late and that a cantina event was needed to get this information. Would have been much easier if one dev would have made one post to clarify the situation, but i guess that would have been too easy.

Edited by DarthBurton

• 6 months later...
What is your basis for saying 3.0 added a use for it?

Overheard from some people that on the 3.0 PTS, there is a Yavin 4 world boss you could summon involving the Tome. But I also heard it was removed to be added in at a later date. Don't know if the Tome is still there as of 3.0.

Edited by Eqor