Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Are you serious? What kind of service is this? How can you possibly be sure that guilds will not be broken up if you have to DISBAND the guild?

Guys, the honeymoon is over. This amateur stuff is not how to keep your player base. If it takes you some time to figure this out then FIGURE IT OUT before you start transfers. If you muck with guilds you are done. Plain and simple.

Because they have stated that, if your server is an origin server, you will be sent to one destination server. You will not be split up across multiple servers, so, in fact, your guildmates will not be spread out across more than 1 server. Besides, your guildmaster, or anyone else who knows that this is coming, would all have to put heads together anyways, in order to ensure that everyone is on board with the move and knows what's taking place, and where you're supposed to be going. Once you all arrive at the new server, reform the guild, contact CS to restore any extra guild bank tabs you've purchased, and put all the items back in the GB again. Problem solved. Don't try and make it look harder than it really will be.

Edited by Noviru
editing quoted content

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with this is we have a lot of players that are taking a break or will be back shortly after 1.3 launches. WIthout a MOTD saying "Hey We've transfered to "X Server, hit up This player for a /ginvite when you arrive" they might just think they were kicked from the guild for inactivity. :/

I had the same thoughts initially as well. But, then again that's what a good independent guild page is for. That's what I'll be using to alert my guildies. :)

Joveth, I think some people are concerned around the timeframe that a linked origin server and destination server will have to ensure that all members of a guild can transfer using the free process. Maybe if you could clarify that piece, it would help matters. For example, with a guild of 300, if say ServerA -> ServerB transfers were only open for 2 weeks, then it is possible that some members of the guild may miss out on the window due to schedules, etc. However, if the process between ServerA -> ServerB is available for months, then I think the concern is relatively unfounded.

Hey smithre, thank you for your post. I actually did address this in an earlier post:

"Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice."

Hey smithre, thank you for your post. I actually did address this in an earlier post:

"Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice."

I know it prob got shuffled maybe you did see it but I had a question about legacy. If I have say lvl 15 legacy on my origin server and move 1 character to another server will both servers have lvl 15 legacy for all chars?

Read everythign they said if the destination gets full the destination will be changed. If you don't get transfered at the EXACT same time as your guild mates you will NOT be on the server with them. Read the above post it pretty much says it.

You can get F'd over by this move.

Here I'll show this to you in their own words. Ready Line Number 2 "disband" its very telling.

You're over analyzing it. It's Simple. There will be stragglers left behind BUT there will be more opportunities to collect more guildies now e.g. other stragglers that quit the game and came back etc.

Plus they will post in enough time ahead a warning when they will shut down this process. It's going to take some time though!

I know it prob got shuffled maybe you did see it but I had a question about legacy. If I have say lvl 15 legacy on my origin server and move 1 character to another server will both servers have lvl 15 legacy for all chars?

Yes, you will have legacy 15 on both servers. :)

it blows my mind how many people cant read, or dont take the time to. all the whining about guild transfers....good lord people read. transfering from server A to server B. server B will be the only transfer destination for server A. so any of your guild members who havent logged on in 2 months, finaly decide to resub, guess what, the only option they have will be to transfer to b. But beside all of that, if they are not currently subing, and havent in a few months, are you really gonna miss them if they resub 3 months from now and the free tranfers happen to be closed? this is the stupidest whining ive heard in a long time (and i used to read wow forums). read the post people. good lord.

In a previous Community Q&A we talked about character transfers, and announced that they were coming in early summer. Character transfers are a complex process, but we're almost ready to go. Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players by ensuring population balance across the service.

Read More

If we already have a character on a server, perhaps even of a predetermined level, would it be possible for us to be able to transfer all of our character to that server? If not at first, then perhaps later on in a later round of transfers?

I ask because I have a lvl 50 BH Merc, and a lvl 50 SI Sorc that I would like to get moved to the same server. According to your predefined rules this won't be possible because they exist on servers with different rules.

I can understand that it would be a bad thing to be forced to transfer to a server with rules that you don't like, but if I already have a character on that server then I don't see that as a problem.

My problem with this is we have a lot of players that are taking a break or will be back shortly after 1.3 launches. WIthout a MOTD saying "Hey We've transfered to "X Server, hit up This player for a /ginvite when you arrive" they might just think they were kicked from the guild for inactivity. :/

Do you have their cell numbers, emails, or a guild website? Just hit them up that way. My guild leader in WoW (whom I've never met in person) text'd me saying that they were all transferring. It was important for us to keep in contact, just in case someone did a no show no call for a mandatory raid night!

Whew, did our guild leaders get pissed cause we missed a chance to kill lich king sooner than later. lol Nah, it was pretty laid back, but I would ALWAYS text them if I were stuck in traffic or going to be late for raid that night! It was rather annoying when we would have to wait hours just for one person though =\

ANYWAYS.......ahem....

A question regarding server transfers...

When, if ever, will we have a possibility to transfer cross-continent? Currently my main legacy & characters are on a west-coast US server, and my actual location is in Europe... Making my prime-time at early morning server time, and having 1-15 people in fleet isn't a MMO. While it's my fault for not choosing an EU server in the first place, it wasn't that bad when servers were at average/heavy most of the time.

You are mistaken. What if people have their own characters on a different types of servers? What exactly is the benefit of this restriction, anyway? It does nothing but annoy the people it affects. A thing I think we can at least agree that BW can't afford at the current situation.

Since any given origin server only has one destination server the way they've got this set up, keeping the same server type is the only practical solution in most cases.

A lot of what I'm seeing here is that people want generic server transfers to fix some problem they have, whereas the specific server transfers that the devs are setting up here are to fix one specific issue, that of a low number of servers with viable populations. Yes, I'd like to see everyone happy, but this is the solution we have at this time. After they're done with this, they'll probably have time to set up more flexible transfers, but right now we have a tool to deal with a narrowly defined problem.

I am going to have to assume that this was covered somewhere in the 117 pages of threadnaught, but Why not give guilds the choice to "transfer all members" along with guild bank and everything. If our guild for instance decided they wanted to move as a unit, why not make it so?

Im under the impression that a majority of servers are in the same boat, around 40-50 players in fleet at peak times during the week and 100+ on weekends, some have more the majority have less and are already dead.....not that this justifies actual players on a server but it is a benchmark.

As a player who participated in guild launch, and early access im wondering if the Original servers as of 12/12/2011 will be the server transfer to servers, My server was one of these, is still very active so im hoping i guess that the Devs will use these as the retaining servers, and filter out any created after 12/12/2011.

Personally i did everything that Bioware asked with Guild Launch and Early access so i could retain my name and guild prior to launch. I wont be very happy if it becomes a Transfer from server and would like a little clarification to the Devs plans....???

Thoughts...

I am going to have to assume that this was covered somewhere in the 117 pages of threadnaught, but Why not give guilds the choice to "transfer all members" along with guild bank and everything. If our guild for instance decided they wanted to move as a unit, why not make it so?

So have 100+ people log in and have to change their names w/o any consent on their part?

Even if it was possible.. they would need some kind of permission from the customer to do this kind of action.

Edited by Nakazia

My question is entirely different - I have 8 chars - 4 imps and 4 reps between them they cover all the classes and the crewskills I need for my legacy - they are basically a package deal. Will I be able to move all 8 of them at the same time or is this just for one char?

Oh wow, I just read the rep response a few pages back...

2. Yes, you will have to:

• Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

Really. Seriously. Not joking? ... Ok, seriously, not joking? How many times can I say seriously?

That's not a server transfer. That's a "haul your own darn guild to another server, we're not doing squat".

As another posted stated: why do you hate us, and why do you want us all to quit TOR permanently?

Mark my words, this is the turning point of TOR going F2P.

2. Yes, you will have to:

• Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

I assume that we will still leave a record of our guild bank and how many tabs were unlocked even with the deletion of said bank when the guild is disbanded?

My question is entirely different - I have 8 chars - 4 imps and 4 reps between them they cover all the classes and the crewskills I need for my legacy - they are basically a package deal. Will I be able to move all 8 of them at the same time or is this just for one char?

U can move all 8 characters from your origin server, one at a time, to your new destination server. Provided you have enough slots available on the destination server of course. :)

So have 100+ people log in and have to change their names w/o any consent on their part?

Even if it was possible.. they would need some kind of permission from the customer to do this kind of action.

No, actually, they don't. This is simply a known fact of server transfers and/or merges, from any MMO. If your name is already taken on the server you're trying to move to, then you have to rename. The consent is you initializing the transfer to another server.

Yay for transfers, but the way guilds are handled is pretty bad tbh. Our guild has the problem that most have unsubbed or aren't logging in much/at all at the moment, so our only hope is the Basilisk Droid will be a "destination server". The logistics of prompting everyone to move to another server within a timely fashion given our current activity rate is nigh impossible.

The solution to this would seem to be to make a new character on the old server and make it the Guild leader, then move the other characters and move the guild bank, the Guild would then stay on the old server and the message can be used to point people to the new server if they log back in.

From what they are saying once a transfer is announced the destination server won't be changed so people who log in later will still be able to transfer to the server the rest of the guild moved to.

If you can't guarantee that our guild gets to go to the same server with ALL their chars (or as many as they could individually want), i'm calling this a MASSIVELY Mangled Online rpg. Fix that or roll over and die already!

They have guaranteed the everyone in the Guild gets to move to the same server.

1. "We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible." - FAIL

No, a WIN. The purpose of the initial transfers is to consolidate the active players on fewer servers to give us better populated servers. Allowing people to move anywhere would not do this. And note that this is the initial service, in the future they will almost certainly allow people to move to be with friends and it might be a payed transfer.

2. "We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer." - FAIL

No, another WIN. Why do you think its a good idea to force people to do something when you can offer them the choice.

3. "Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee." - FAIL

No, another WIN. The problem facing the game is low populations, offering people the chance to move to what will be a higher population server solves the most pressing problem. In the future they can offer more choice but doing that now does not address the main issue for the game at the moment.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Just an idea why the whole 'seniority name' thing doesn't work.

Ok, so they decide to go by the suggestion that if you transfer and someone has your name, it gets decided by who has more playtime. That happens to be you. You get the name you want. Woo! Let's forget about the player who's lost their character name for now. They hadn't played as long as you, it's the way the cookie crumbles. The important thing is YOU GOT TO KEEP YOUR NAME!

A few days later, BW look at the figures, and your new server hasn't filled up as much as they'd like it to have. Transfers from your old server have slowed to less than a trickle, so BW open up another origin server to that destination. Someone on that new origin server has the same name as you....and has more playtime. They transfer. You log in one day to a message saying your name has been lost to a character with more seniority than you, you must change your name...

Is that ok? Is it all part of life's rich tapestry?

Heck no! You are going to hit the roof! It's not fair, it's not right...

But of course it was perfectly fair and right when it wasn't you.

Same applies if you have it so only chars that are unsubbed lose their names. How exactly is it fair that someone is able to grab the name first, simply because BW decided their server should be an Origin server before someone elses? That's just luck. The other player may have put as much time and effort in as the other, and is just as worthy of that name, but never has a chance at keeping it.

Yes, it's an absolute horror that there are people out there who played for the first month only then quit the game, and have characters sitting their preventing people who want to play and keep on playing from using the name they love. I'm a player to whom character names are important, and I am gutted when I can't use a name I love, either on new char creation or due to transfer...but it's a simple fact of MMO life. I know it's annoying, sometimes heartbreaking, but if a whole personality is built simply upon a name...well, it shouldn't be.

Sometimes stuff happens in life we don't want to...in fact, quite a lot. And in many cases there is nothing we can do about it. If that's the case, we just deal with it.