$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

PoliteAssasin

I don't see anything on there worth getting worked up about at all tbh. The stuff that matters to me like being able to equip purple gear and all that are going to be included in my monthly sub, which I intent to keep going at least for a while. If it's so horrible for you to have to pay for cartel credits to get the ability to do stuff like that.... you should probably just keep paying your sub.

Preferred players also get to us their artifacts now and also get to keep their cargo space and inventory slots.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

Lol?!

Are you a staff member on EA or Bioware? It's their business. They set the prices. Don't like them? Don't buy anything.

I don't know if BioWare/EA is doing this but personally those that are still Subscribed to the Game should get a 30-50% Discount for the Cartel Market on all Item's and those that are playing the Game with the F2P Option will have to pay the Full Price.

This is essentially what BW/EA are doing. Except, instead of giving subscribers 30% or 50% off , subscribers get a stipend of 500 CC each month.

A stipend is a more brilliant solution, being that it encourages you to use the Cartel Market. This will inevitably increase your familiarization with using the Cartel Market, thus increasing the likelyhood that you will buy CC. Giving a discount would not have the same effect.

If you're suggesting having the stipend and the discount, that makes very little business sense.

After seeing the prices of some of the pay to play games on the iPad and the "extras" in free to plays, I'm not surprised at all. It's 5-10 dollars for 1 decoration in Smurf Village that I play with my son. When I cruise through other people's villages, some have clearly spent $100s just to decorate. :eek:

If youre not that type of person ( which i am not) then you wont be able to understand people who dislike paying a sub but will happily dollar themselves in a months time to well over the cost of a sub. Team fortress 2 isnt an mmo ..true but i paid 20 bux for the game 5 yrs ago and only recently paid them anything extra because they added mann vs machine mode.

The prices of whatever in the cartel market or whatever wont stop those type of people from dumping their money in it. Back to team fortress 2 who for yrs have had locked crates with items in them (items you cant craft or get as a drop in game) which cost you like .99 cents to buy a key and open. People cant wait to trade you for a crate so they can pay .99 cents for each key to open each box. its nuts to me. I got a buttload of items in that game just from yrs of play.

Theres no reasoning behind it..imo..but theres no shortage of people willing to microtransaction $30 bux a month instead of paying $15. just some fyi TF2 generated $600,000 in one month for the japan tsunami relief effort just by selling a bundle of headgear. They made that much on one bundle of items..which do nothing for your character except make his head look cool.

I don't see anything on there worth getting worked up about at all tbh. The stuff that matters to me like being able to equip purple gear and all that are going to be included in my monthly sub, which I intent to keep going at least for a while. If it's so horrible for you to have to pay for cartel credits to get the ability to do stuff like that.... you should probably just keep paying your sub.

On that note I never really understood needing to raise a level cap. Especially in this game which has the legacy deal. You work to get your purple sets, stick even better mods in em, augment em, then hey we're adding 5 more char. lvls? Why? Some are still lvling legacy. Why not add to legacy? Why not add more content period and worry about a lvl cap increase far off in the future? Meh just my 2 cents.

So I agree this will keep swtor at no.2 in the mmo market for now , but it will be no. 1 in the freemium market fairly quickly i should imagine.

Although it's a bit of a derail, I agree. I have loads of friends from launch that quit the game in Jan.-Feb. because they didn't want to pay a sub. All plan to return when F2P launches. SWTOR is going to esplode.

People are highly critical of this game for good reason. However, it's just too good a game for people not to play for free.

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

where are people finding the items that are availible on the cartel market, and its exact pricing?

People are highly critical of this game for good reason.

We are seeing now this isn't the case. Many of the people that are coming back now are admitting in game and on these forums they were way too harsh on this game when it launched. Only when you spend time playing that other MMO that is supposed to be your messiah do you realize what SWTOR does right and it's appeal. GW2? Tera? TSW? They are all going through the depopulation stage now as people come back here.

We've turned a corner and with some content updates already on their way, we'll be good to go long term now.

where are people finding the items that are availible on the cartel market, and its exact pricing?

Here's what was on offer on the PTS version of the cartel market.

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/#1

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-legacy-perks-w-cartel-coins/

I'm probably going to get the GTN and the rocket boost first as it will be a huge saving on the in-game credits :D.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

We are seeing now this isn't the case. Many of the people that are coming back now are admitting in game and on these forums they were way too harsh on this game when it launched. Only when you spend time playing that other MMO that is supposed to be your messiah do you realize what SWTOR does right and it's appeal. GW2? Tera? TSW? They are all going through the depopulation stage now as people come back here.

We've turned a corner and with some content updates already on their way, we'll be good to go long term now.

What you are describing is not that people didn't have good reason for leaving this game, but rather that other games are just as bad or worse and SWTOR looks better in comparison.

Peeps that left early on were completely justified in their choice. Level 50 peeps in Champ gear going against level 30s in WZs, RNG gear bags, the Ilum disaster, Valor going up in smoke due to one horrible patch, broken WZ queues...just a few of the things which come to mind that almost made me unsub and that's just PvP stuff.

I agree with you about the long term though. I think we are in good shape. Smaller, incremental updates are better than waiting months for big buggy ones. This game is way too good for people not to play it for free. You would have to be a moron not to. Servers are going to esplode. Not to mention that BW has restaffed and seems to be back on the right track.

So the future does look bright. Doesn't mean though that the past wasn't pretty dark. BW made some serious mistakes. Props to them for owning those mistakes and coming correct.

if i remember right the sets were supposed to be legacy bound, someone please verify that, i remember reading somthing about it, but can't find the thread anymore... so if it's legacy bound is is for ALL characters.

Even if that were true (which it is not), that's not quite the same thing. In STO and CO those sets can be worn by all characters at the same time. You don't have to mail it back and forth every time you want to switch characters.

No, the prices should still be lowered.

:cool:

Even if that were true (which it is not), that's not quite the same thing. In STO and CO those sets can be worn by all characters at the same time. You don't have to mail it back and forth every time you want to switch characters.

So CO and STO have global unlocks for costumes. Big deal.

The Secret World doesn't have global unlocks for costume sets or weapons, nor do they allow you to mail them back and forth between characters. On top of that you can't pick and choose which costume pieces you want to wear from a set. You either wear the whole set or none at all.

They also sell individual character titles for as much as $20 bucks each per character.

In GW2 players can trade in ingame currency for credit in their cash shop and never spend a single dime.

STO sells lockboxes that require buying a key as well to open them.

What other companies choose to do with their cash shop items has no bearing on this game. For every example one person can come up with that's better than this cash shop someone else can find other examples that are a lot worse than what we are going to have here.

So CO and STO have global unlocks for costumes. Big deal.

The Secret World doesn't have global unlocks for costume sets or weapons...

Um, yes it does. The first two packs they offered were sets that unlocked for all characters on the account. I know because I have them.

They also sell individual character titles for as much as $20 bucks each per character.

So, because one game gouges, they all should feel free to do the same? That's stupid. If large retail stores ran like that they would all be out of business and Ma and Pop shops would rule the world.

In GW2 players can trade in ingame currency for credit in their cash shop and never spend a single dime.

That's an interesting way to do it. Too bad that game sucks. And btw, STO has a similar system where you can earn dilithium and trade it with other players for credits in their cash shop.

STO sells lockboxes that require buying a key as well to open them.

And that's one of the primary reasons why I no longer play that game. I am against TOR putting exclusive items in "gamble boxes" too.

What other companies choose to do with their cash shop items has no bearing on this game. For every example one person can come up with that's better than this cash shop someone else can find other examples that are a lot worse than what we are going to have here.

What other games do can show a marketing team how to price their items fairly based on feedback from their customers. Duh. Where do you think they got the basis for most of these prices in the first place? From other games with similar cash shops. The thing is they got their prices from the wrong games considering they are applying them to a game that encourages altaholism.

Edited by Blackavaar

I agree.

I see much more appreciation of the game from returning players then discontent. Both on the forum and in game.

Probably not a good time to mention CoH is shutting down huh?

Why? The closure announcement was made two months ago, and their servers shut down on the 30th. If anyone still has accounts there and doesn't know it's closing nows a good time to tell them so they can play it one last time before the lights go out for good.

Waiting until Dec 1st would be a bad time to mention CoH is shutting down.

Hope swtor doesn't shut down, but if they add p2w they may as well. But I have faith they know better. Despite the "Doomsaying" subs are stableish and now f2p will possibly add more.

I hate to see any game shut down. So I'm wishing SWTOR the best of luck.

Appearance affects gameplay a lot.

Vanity items do not affect gameplay. Please don't argue that. You can still do all the same mechanics whether you're looks like a solider riding in a tank or a clown riding on a tricycle. If the stats are the same, the gameplay is the same.

Prices are just fine. If anything they are TOO LOW.

I can't believe someone is actually complaining about this.

On second thought, I am sure if they gave everything away for free people would still complain. :rolleyes:

This Thread is rated "E". :cool:

Edited by Urael

Vanity items do not affect gameplay. Please don't argue that. You can still do all the same mechanics whether you're looks like a solider riding in a tank or a clown riding on a tricycle. If the stats are the same, the gameplay is the same.

So true. But, what we will really see is a bunch of G.I.R.L.S. running around in slave girl outfits. :p

Ummmm people pay $100 for armor in Diablo that isn't BiS.

Anyone remember the $60 monocle for EVE Online, a vanity item that only the owner could see (because the character cannot look at other characters)?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/07/monocles/

I don't play EVE online, but CCP looks to me like a bunch of thieves sucking money out of idiots (184 to be precise at the time of the article, but probably more today). in the article, there is even a leaked internal email treating the players as idiots who don't know better.

At least Bioware is not doing that... yet.

Um, yes it does. The first two packs they offered were sets that unlocked for all characters on the account. I know because I have them.

Most people won't spend $200 bucks just for a global costume set. You are referring to the one that comes with the Lifetime sub right? The otherwas a faction jacket right? but that also came with other stuff in a pack.

So, because one game gouges, they all should feel free to do the same? That's stupid. If large retail stores ran like that they would all be out of business and Ma and Pop shops would rule the world.

No, but you will find something in every single games cash shop that someone thinks is way too expensive and a rip off. There will always be people complaining. In CoH it was the extra enhancement trays that were too expensive. The whiners there conveniently ignored the fact that the trays were global unlocks and getting them all allowed a player to strip a build of all it's enhancements with just two respecs instead of spending $100 bucks to buy enough respecs to strip a build 10 enhancements at a time without the extra trays.

That's an interesting way to do it. Too bad that game sucks. And btw, STO has a similar system where you can earn dilithium and trade it with other players for credits in their cash shop.

Yes and PWE turned STO into a grindfest by doing it. They also added other things that milk players for money. Like having to buy a space suit from the cash shop if you want to complete a certain mission, and adding gear that requires both grinding and cash shop purchases.

And that's one of the primary reasons why I no longer play that game. I am against TOR putting exclusive items in "gamble boxes" too.

Yeah I don't like the gamble boxes either but theres no stopping them from being added. Only by not buying them will have any impact. Unfortunately for each of those against the gamble boxes there are 10 people willing to spend far too much money on them.

What other games do can show a marketing team how to price their items fairly based on feedback from their customers. Duh. Where do you think they got the basis for most of these prices in the first place? From other games with similar cash shops. The thing is they got their prices from the wrong games considering they are applying them to a game that encourages altaholism.

I agree with you on this too but for some reason all too often the people that set the prices on cash shop items are amazingly obtuse to what should be blatantly obvious.

So true. But, what we will really see is a bunch of G.I.R.L.S. running around in slave girl outfits. :p

Girls in slave outfits and guys in pajamas (if they could). That never changes. There's always a subset who like to run around in their skimpies while they are fighting dargons or killing people.

Prices are just fine. If anything they are TOO LOW.

I can't believe someone is actually complaining about this.

On second thought, I am sure if they gave everything away for free people would still complain. :rolleyes:

This Thread is rated "E". :cool:

Oh yes. In CoH at one point they offered a free item every friday, and we had one clown angry because the items being given away weren't expensive enough so he made this comparison.

It's not about being "picky"; it's about being decent and fair and wise

It's like giving a starving person moldy rotten food with maggots and tapeworms in it to where they are "dead if they eat it, dead if they don't".

I wouldn't give a starving man something as harmful as starving

Gosh I'm gonna miss the nutjobs in that game. They had me laughing for hours. :p