Gear crafting is truly dead

FragRockKnuckles

It's a shame that this is your experience.

Personally, I'm thrilled that I've leveled and unlocked so many schematics for so many professions. Having 11 alts, it's helped cross-gear my own characters and their companions.

I also make money selling things from 10-45, as well as some of the higher end gear. In fact, anything I put on the gtn from 10-45 is gone within a day.

It's a lot of work to craft items in 10-45 especially with the current slump on sales, but yes it's not that bad. However, the kinda profits you used to make have been greatly reduce in part to cm and other non crafted gear. It's still better than doing dailies though unless you get rep from said dailies.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are in the game for the long haul, and are willing to invest some credits and time reverse-engineering, you can still make plenty of money crafting. I spent the first few months following release gathering mats and r- engineering, building a large selection of artifact quality items that have made me a fortune. I have three characters that I have leveled to 50, but I also have several that I made solely to craft. I have a character for all crafting professions and I can't think of one profession that I can't make plenty of credits with. Armomech and Synth were a disappointment for a few months, true, but now I make a killing selling augments and kits. Reverse-engineering is a temporary money sink, yes. If you don't intend on playing the game for an extended period, or if you are a casual player, it's probably not going to do you any good. But if you play often, those purple items pay off if you keep an eye on what is hot and what is not. This may not be the case on all servers but it certainly is on mine.

Yeah, I've definitely RE'd some junk. But I've also learned how to craft some items that I can't seem to craft fast enough to keep pace with sales.

Edited by thomaswaits

It has probably been said already but Legacy killed non-mod crafting. It also killed the GTN balance in the sense that a truely new player can't afford to buy the things we took for granted back in Dec 2011 and the following 4 or so months. Is it reasonable that the only implants available at lvl 21 are purples and that a pair costs +50K (this happens)? That's not what the market looked like 14 months ago.

If i totally ignored legacy and the cash shop as sources of income on a new character I'd be forced to play every side mission on every planet to keep myself somewhat geared (moddable). I would not be able to do it through GTN.

Thats what i have been trying to point out, but sadly, the players that set these prices don't want it to change, so they say i am whining.

They care more about their own profit over the games' survival.

In response to the last post: I leveled my first character without the GTN easily enough. The only purple items I had were a couple of random drops. I didn't get ANY implants until level 25. I didn't start acquiring artifact gear until level 50. I don't see the problem.

Also, non-modable gear took a nose dive once orange schematics came out ("The Orange Revolution,") long before the cash shop (however, I will agree that the cash shop did seem to aggravate it.) And if there are not affordable green/blue items for new players on the GTN, why don't they start putting them up themselves? That's how you make money. You look at where the market has a void and try to fill it. Man, I was excited to get some new blue mods with my planetary credits when I started playing. The items on the GTN were 90% crap back then on the server I was on. Should a new player really expect to have purple implants at level 21?

One way or the other, this is all hypothetical for me. There are still plenty of green/blue items for sale on Begeren Colony. No, there aren't green level 21 implants for 500 credits. But that is only because the schematics for them are blue. Maybe we should consider the possibility that new players are expecting more than they should be as part of the problem here.

Edited by thomaswaits

In response to the last post: I leveled my first character without the GTN easily enough. The only purple items I had were a couple of random drops. I didn't get ANY implants until level 25. I didn't start acquiring artifact gear until level 50. I don't see the problem.

I had the exact same experience for different reasons. I started seriously playing this game three months after launch and by then the server I was on was a ghost town. So I had no choice but to do every side quest on every planet to get gear and I crafted what I could using my crew skills, but I did not get all my slots filled until about level 30, not to mention the fact that my primary companion was missing implants until level 40.

Further, I have been playing MMOs for more than a decade and regardless of the game, new players have the same "problem" of not being able to purchase low level gear. But in my opinion, it is only a problem because too many players feel they are entitled to stuff they really have no claim to. Hell, the fact is in that decade+ MMO playing and the six or seven MMOs I have played, I think I have bought all of two pieces of gear off of another player through Auction House, GTM, or Bazaar.

Thats what i have been trying to point out, but sadly, the players that set these prices don't want it to change, so they say i am whining.

They care more about their own profit over the games' survival.

Here's the thing.

You rail against the greed, avarice and laziness of crafters, and yet you don't do crafting. Do you see? You're like the guy who can't paint but is critiquing art at the museum. "My dog could do a better job"

Either:

a) Your pronouncements against crafting are true, in which case you could revolutionize the crafting on your sever overnight by making and selling things yourself, or

b) The system itself is flawed (as opposed to the players), or

c) All of this pricey blue and purple gear you see on the GTN are not needed for characters to level, and so the fact they remain out of reach of broke players doesn't actually affect their experience to play the game.

Edited by Khevar

I should say b=c.

When something isn't needed, the simple existence of it is a design flaw.

Is crafting needed during leveling? No, it could be useful, but it's not needed and the work required for this is just too much. Heck... I remember my 14k HP tank Jugg back when I started my first HM FPs, full of blue/green loots and with perhaps some Centurion stuff... but it worked (ok, I died on the -dark- first BT boss mainly because I didn't know it, but we went through it).

Is crafting needed for end-game? No, and it's even becoming totally useless if 2.0 goes live as it was on the PTS.

Conclusion to this? Read the thread title.

I should say b=c.

Is crafting needed during leveling? No, it could be useful, but it's not needed and the work required for this is just too much. Heck... I remember my 14k HP tank Jugg back when I started my first HM FPs, full of blue/green loots and with perhaps some Centurion stuff... but it worked (ok, I died on the -dark- first BT boss mainly because I didn't know it, but we went through it).

Is crafting needed for end-game? No, and it's even becoming totally useless if 2.0 goes live as it was on the PTS.

Clearly, crafting should not be needed to sucessfully play the game. On the other hand, crafting should make the game play better and you stronger and provide looks and options (love my crafted Hotrigged speeder) that you cannot get from drops. Also crafting = credits and credits = buying good stuff on the gtn that improve your character.

I leveled my first character with no crafting skills and it was a bit of a slog. I just finished my last 50 with full crafting support and it was a fun breeze. I like to craft and build my toons, so work on crafting is well worth the effort. I also like having more credits than I couuld ever spend even if I played the game for another ten years.

As far as the title and your conclusion, I would say that I do not anticipate much change in crafting for pre 50 leveling. I have not been on the pts (although I read a bit of the feedback) and will wait and see what 50 to 55 and 55 cap crafting is like.

I should say b=c.

Is crafting needed during leveling? No. You can level your characters from 1-50 without ever touching crew skills.

Is it useful during leveling? Absolutely. If you work it right, you can craft gear for a given level and everything that drops is inferior to what you crafted for the next five to seven levels.

Is crafting needed for end-game? Absolutely. I will admit that not everything crafted at end-game levels is worth crafting, but that in no way means that crafting is useless at end-game. I will also admit, that top tier end-game crafting is a very narrow supply market due the limited methods of schematic acquisition.

That being said, I have made millions of credits by crafting level 49 blue quality armoring, mods, and augments. These entry level end-game items do not sell for a lot individually but they do sell consistently and persistently over time.

And I guarantee that when the level cap raises, whatever the level 54 stuff works out to be will sell just as well. Why? Because they are typically reasonably priced for what they offer - when an Advanced (purple) augment runs 50k+ and the blue augment runs for at most 15k (more commonly 10-11K) and you only forgo two points in each stat a given augment provides spending a LOT less for a little less is a great option. Min/maxers and hardcore raiders will disagree but that is a different argument.

The point is that crafting is not worthless and never will be worthless so long as their are players like me who craft for those not wholly interested in the top top top end, and there are buyers who are OK with equipment not necessarily being top top top end.

That being said, I have made millions of credits by crafting level 49 blue quality armoring, mods, and augments. These entry level end-game items do not sell for a lot individually but they do sell consistently and persistently over time.

And I guarantee that when the level cap raises, whatever the level 54 stuff works out to be will sell just as well. Why? Because they are typically reasonably priced for what they offer - when an Advanced (purple) augment runs 50k+ and the blue augment runs for at most 15k (more commonly 10-11K) and you only forgo two points in each stat a given augment provides spending a LOT less for a little less is a great option. Min/maxers and hardcore raiders will disagree but that is a different argument.

The point is that crafting is not worthless and never will be worthless so long as their are players like me who craft for those not wholly interested in the top top top end, and there are buyers who are OK with equipment not necessarily being top top top end.

I would add that level 49 blue mods, armoring, etc. is a good way to strengthen companions when you first hit cap. I don't believe that there will be free gear when you hit 55 and if that is so, there should be more demand for the level 54 crafted stuff then there is for the current level 49. I would expect that the level 51 to 54 stuff will be expensive at first since it will take time for the more casual crafters to catch up and hence the supply will be low.

One key is the fact that most player are not raiders and they will have a need for the higher level stuff. I am not sure how the new commendation caps will work out, they may also decrease availability of mods, etc. I expect the 51 to 54 market will be strong at first as a large number of people get back into leveling again to bring their 50s to 55 (depends on he drops and commendation returns).

Edited by asbalana

Here's the thing.

You rail against the greed, avarice and laziness of crafters, and yet you don't do crafting. Do you see? You're like the guy who can't paint but is critiquing art at the museum. "My dog could do a better job"

Either:

a) Your pronouncements against crafting are true, in which case you could revolutionize the crafting on your sever overnight by making and selling things yourself, or

b) The system itself is flawed (as opposed to the players), or

c) All of this pricey blue and purple gear you see on the GTN are not needed for characters to level, and so the fact they remain out of reach of broke players doesn't actually affect their experience to play the game.

Wow, the amount of times i say i do not like to craft.....and you didn't notice it?? the amount of posts i have done....ok.

Wow, the amount of times i say i do not like to craft.....and you didn't notice it?? the amount of posts i have done....ok.

My point is this:

You don't like to craft, but you complain about crafters. Actually, you don't just complain about crafters, you RAIL on crafters. At every opportunity. The way you talk they are the scum of the game. They are lazy, they are greedy, they are ruining the game.

How would you know? You don't do crafting.

Maybe if you did, you would find out your opinions are unfounded.

Maybe if you did, you would discover flaws in crafting and could make suggestions to improve it.

Maybe if you did you'd discover that you're actually right and would have some valid data to back up your arguments.

(I tried crafting and discovered ...)

But no. You don't like crafting. But you sure like calling crafters lazy and greedy. There is a word for this: Hypocrisy.

Edited by Khevar

My point is this:

You don't like to craft, but you complain about crafters. Actually, you don't just complain about crafters, you RAIL on crafters. At every opportunity. The way you talk they are the scum of the game. They are lazy, they are greedy, they are ruining the game.

How would you know? You don't do crafting.

Maybe if you did, you would find out your opinions are unfounded.

Maybe if you did, you would discover flaws in crafting and could make suggestions to improve it.

Maybe if you did you'd discover that you're actually right and would have some valid data to back up your arguments.

(I tried crafting and discovered ...)

But no. You don't like crafting. But you sure like calling crafters lazy and greedy. There is a word for this: Hypocrisy.

Work break.

LOL, I just looked at the new 25 and 28 mods, etc. and the new augments (recipies only by Slicing drops). LOL, commendation restrictions.

My prediction is that this crafter is going to make many many many credits before the part time or casual crafters catch up and can even begin to craft for themselves and then to put stuff on the gtn. Join the rush to make mk-9 kits - you will not be able to make them fast enough. Did you say mat sales? My scavengers, bios, and archs have the week off to rest because they are going to be overworked soon.

Greed is not good, but being paid for work takes the cake or cookie depending on your vice. So if some complain, it will be hard to hear them over the ching a ching noise of cretits hitting our pockets.

Edited by asbalana