Best of Star Wars Acting

Beniboybling

Thought I'd do something different from the usual top whoevers, so here it is:

Who are the top three actors in the Star Wars franchise? And who are the top three voice actors? Acting is obviously exclusive to the movies and voice acting can be from the films, games, TV series etc. Yoda. C-3P0 and Vader count as voice actors.

So, who are your top three? - and give a favourite quote or clip if you like as well.

Edited by Beniboybling

Top Actors:

• Ian McDermid (RotJ) "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."
  • Mark Hamill (ESB) "Oh, come on! How can you know my father? You don't even know who I am. Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here! We're wasting our time!"
  • Harrison Ford (ESB) "Horizontal boosters. Alluvial dampers? Ow! That's not it, bring me the Hydrospanner. I don't know how we're going to get out of this one."

Top Voice Actors:

• James Earl Jones (ESB) "No. I am your father."
  • James Arnold Taylor (TCW Obi Wan) "Begging your pardon, Duchess, I distinctly remember carrying you to safety."
  • Anthony Daniels "Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1!"
Edited by TheBBP

meh let me break a bit the trend here and alow me to say

Sara Kestelman a.k.a Kreia.

~ ;)

Agreed. My list goes something like this:

Actors

Ian McDiarmid - for his excellent performance of Darth Sidious, he pulls of the Machiavellian, megalomanical villain perfectly - and even manages to add some humour into it.

being one of my favourite moments.

Harrison Ford - as Han Solo, a character that has grown on me ever since becoming a Star Wars fan, really he executes every line and every seen perfectly and really does pull of the roguish smuggler really well. One of my favourite quotes being: 'Laugh it up, fuzzball!'

Alec Guinness - while I don't enjoy his scenes say, as much as Samuel L. Jacksons, I do recognise his excellent acting skills. And really, Star Wars wouldn't be the same without him.

Voice Actors

Sara Kestelman - as Kreia, the only voice actor I'm aware of who can be listened to for 10 whole minutes with complete attention. Seriously she does such a good job and is one of the reasons Kreia is my favourite character.

being one of her best moments.

Sam Witwer - primarily for his performance as Darth Maul which is nothing short of amazing. Seriously if you haven't experienced this I highly encourage you to do so. When watching his scenes half my mind is concentrating on the action, and half on his brilliant acting. His performance as Galen Marek is also very good.

Nika Futterman - another Clone Wars actor, or rather actress, Asajj Ventress. Really just great, her voice is both sexy and scary, which fits Ventress' character perfectly. (You can imagine my reaction when she appeared in SWTOR!)

Top Actors:

• Ian McDermid (RotJ) "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."
  • Mark Hamill (ESB) "Oh, come on! How can you know my father? You don't even know who I am. Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here! We're wasting our time!"
  • Harrison Ford (ESB) "Horizontal boosters. Alluvial dampers? Ow! That's not it, bring me the Hydrospanner. I don't know how we're going to get out of this one."

Top Voice Actors:

• James Earl Jones (ESB) "No. I am your father."
  • James Arnold Taylor (TCW Obi Wan) "Begging your pardon, Duchess, I distinctly remember carrying you to safety."
  • Anthony Daniels "Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1!"

Anthony Daniels is a Voice guy since he was actually in the gold suit?

I know you said top 3 but others aren't sticking to the rules so in no order...

1. Ian McDiarmid (this guy sold me on Palpatine and Lord Sidious and he's got great depth)

2. Alec Guiness (another awesome actor. I've seen him in Bridge on the Quay which he did great in)

3. Liam Neeson (seriously? I will find you and I will kill you!!!)

4. Ewan McGregor (In some ways, he did a better job on Obi-Wan than Alec but that's because he was alive longer)

Voice Actors

1. Kevin Michael Richardson (He does the voice of Jolee Bindo and narrates the Hope trailer. The Hope trailer completely sold me on this game and I love his characters on American Dad and Family Guy)

2. James Arnold Taylor (He does Obi-Wan and plenty of other voices in this game and other TV shows including family guy)

3. Jennifer Hale (Bastilla Shan and her descendant Satele. I found that to be awesome beyond words and shes the female Shephard in ME)

4. James Earl Jones (he should be first in this list cause he brought Vader to life with his acting)

Anthony Daniels is a Voice guy since he was actually in the gold suit?

I see your point, but will counter with the fact that he voices the role in TCW. I just think that the 3P0 character overall is really well done.

Voice Actors

1. Kevin Michael Richardson (He does the voice of Jolee Bindo and narrates the Hope trailer. The Hope trailer completely sold me on this game and I love his characters on American Dad and Family Guy)

He also had a brief appearance in TCW series (rescored) - great voice actor. In fact quality voice acting in Star Wars is pretty abundant.

I should have included C-3PO there, but yes, he is a voice actor since he doesn't actually do a great deal of acting, just kinda waddles about.

I am not convinced to let Daniels go with this explanation because he's in the suit waddling. :D

However... I think I can accept him because of this:

I see your point, but will counter with the fact that he voices the role in TCW. I just think that the 3P0 character overall is really well done.

I know you said top 3 but others aren't sticking to the rules so in no order...

1. Ian McDiarmid (this guy sold me on Palpatine and Lord Sidious and he's got great depth)

2. Alec Guiness (another awesome actor. I've seen him in Bridge on the Quay which he did great in)

3. Liam Neeson (seriously? I will find you and I will kill you!!!)

4. Ewan McGregor (In some ways, he did a better job on Obi-Wan than Alec but that's because he was alive longer)

Voice Actors

2. James Arnold Taylor (He does Obi-Wan and plenty of other voices in this game and other TV shows including family guy)

3. Jennifer Hale (Bastilla Shan and her descendant Satele. I found that to be awesome beyond words and shes the female Shephard in ME)

4. James Earl Jones (he should be first in this list cause he brought Vader to life with his acting)

JEJ for sure. If you watch the takes where Prowse did the voice before the JEJ dubs, Star Wars would have been seen as a comedy because the BA guy dressed in black and supposed to instill fear sounded like a dweeb. I think those things are on the internet where you can see without James Earl Jones, it wouldn't have been as good.

I should have included C-3PO there, but yes, he is a voice actor since he doesn't actually do a great deal of acting, just kinda waddles about.

Absolutely wrong. He brings a character, who can show no physical emotion, to life, through both his voice acting, and the use of small gestures.

To say he was just flailing about shows the lack of understanding you have for the appreciation you show to this character.

Edited by BlueArab

I weep at the sight of his name only being singled out once.

Oh and how in the name of hell is Peter Cushing not in these lists?

The thread is about the best of Star Wars acting. Christopher Lee is without a doubt a great actor. However, (and this is just my opinion) in the Star Wars Saga, he literally sounded like he didn't even know where he was. Blame it on the blue/green screen sets or what not, but IMHO he was not good in Star Wars.

The thread is about the best of Star Wars acting. Christopher Lee is without a doubt a great actor. However, (and this is just my opinion) in the Star Wars Saga, he literally sounded like he didn't even know where he was. Blame it on the blue/green screen sets or what not, but IMHO he was not good in Star Wars.

I thought Sir Christopher Lee did just fine. He did much better than most actors in the Prequels.

On a side note, I don't care too much for TCW's Count Dooku. I don't get the same vibe from him as Sir Christopher Lee. Not that anyone could actually replicate Sir Christopher Lee, but TCW Dooku doesn't feel like Dooku to me.

I thought Sir Christopher Lee did just fine. He did much better than most actors in the Prequels.

On a side note, I don't care too much for TCW's Count Dooku. I don't get the same vibe from him as Sir Christopher Lee. Not that anyone could actually replicate Sir Christopher Lee, but TCW Dooku doesn't feel like Dooku to me.

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves with the series is that Obi-Wan feels spot on but Dooku is way off. Nowhere near the quality of Sir Lee, even given his limited screen time and role.

Voice Actors

1. Jennifer Hale - I can't help it. She's my favorite voice actress. She is why I play a femShep in every Mass Effect game. She's really good as Bastila and Satele Shan, as well as the female trooper in SWTOR. Also, bonus fact: she voices Senator Riyo Chuchi, Aayla Secura, and Lolo Purs (the Rodian woman from "Senate Murders") in The Clone Wars.

2. James Earl Jones - Darth frickin' Vader. Nothing else needs to be said.

3. Dee Bradley Baker - He voices every clone in The Clone Wars. EVERY clone. They all have the same voice, and yet he somehow manages to differentiate them really well.

This was kind of tough, because the VA's of The Clone Wars are all pretty awesome. Personally, I can't imagine Anakin as anybody but Matt Lanter any more, and Tom Kane somehow manages to pull off voicing both Yoda and Admiral Yularen.

As for actors:

1. Liam Neeson - For no other reason than because he's Liam Neeson.

2. Ian McDiarmid - He was great as the Emperor in the original trilogy, and he pulled off Palpatine really well in the prequels. He was pretty awful during the Yoda fight in Episode III (to the point where the whole fight felt comical), but even the other good actors were pretty bad in that movie, so it's excusable since he actually did a really good job up until that point. I'd actually thought someone else was playing Palpatine at first, since they did such a good job of making him seem younger than his original trilogy counterpart.

3. Alec Guinness - He really had that "wise old man" vibe while playing Obi-Wan.