Are purple mods available from vendors/quests, or just cybertech?

Rokkuboshi

I've seen a lot of people complaining about how useless cybertech is, so I've been thinking about switching it to biochem. But before I do that, I need to know if I can really get better mods from vendors or quests. I've been looking at the different commendation vendors, and I haven't seen any of them that sell purple mods. So have I not been looking hard enough, or is cybertech actually fine?

What I did with Artificing is create and reverse engineer a green schematic, which gave me a blue schematic for the same thing..... then I made and reverse engineered several of those and I learned the purple schematic.

Not sure if thats how its normally done or not

I recently got a purple Schematic with cybertech by reverse engineering one of the blue creations. +11 endurence at level 9 is not to be dismissed lightly. Granted, I am not that skilled in it, I think my skill is 55 maybe, so Cybertech is fine for me, saves me money on mods

the Green =[RE]=> Blue =[RE]=> Purple thing is applicable to every crafting crew skill. There may even be several different blues obtainable for a single green base item. That means a green can yeld several blues, which in turn will yeld a more powerful purple each.

So far (level 35 Sentinel) I've seen only twice purple mods in quests rewards. So I guess the best thing to do is either to be cybertech (or to have a friend who is), or to buy them on the GTN.

If you manage a critical on any of the green or blue items made it gives you extra stats and a aug slot. I reveresed engineered one of these and got a seperate purple one with the extra aug slot and added stats. Very lucky if you can do this though, not had it since.

Level 22/23 Purple Mods should drop in Operations according to Bioware, as well as normal purple Armour, so that both people using Oranges and Set Gear have useful drops.

You can get Purple Mods from Purple Armour/Weapons (though you'll never get Armoring/Hilt/Barrel this way).

You can theoretically get Purple Mods from Purple Lockboxes (never seen this myself)..

You can theoretically get lower level Purple Mods from Boss Drops (never seen this myself).

You can get Purple Mod from Cybertech.

... They are the only ways to get Purple Mods.

Quest Rewards are always Blue/Green/Orange.

Are you asking about all mods in a generic sense or the actual Mod modification?

Cybertech is the only crew skill which makes the armoring and mod slot modifications. As others have stated, RE your green into blues, then RE the blues into purples.

In a generic sense it's possible, although rare, to get purple modifications from quests and as world drops. I've seen three purple modification rewards from quests and probably twice that in world drops. It's been my experience to have them all be either armoring or enhancement modification and not Mod slot modifications. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen them.

Purple modifications are world drops and will drop off challenging content such as world bosses and Operations (raid) bosses.

Is cybertech useful? I believe so. It's the first crew skill I picked up on my main specifically because of the mods. You won't always have the commendations to buy mods when you need/want them.

Edited by Osodvus