Commendations: Mods or Gear?

Kerelic

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

While I'm leveling, what is the best path to take when looking to spend my commendations on stuff? Will I net better overall gear by upgrading legendaries I have by putting new mods in them, or would it be better to upgrade the gear itself when possible, even if that means replacing a legendary with a blue or something..

I'm assuming it depends on the gear and what mods are available, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something obvious I was missing or some rule of thumb that people tend to think is better.

Thanks!

Cool, thanks for the quick answer. So is there any way to upgrade min/max damage on a legendary? I noticed a power factor or something on hilt mods, would that do something along those lines?

Thanks!

The core mod: hilt for lightsabers, vibroblades, etc.; barrel for blasters; and armoring for armor, is what determines the weapon damage or armor rating for the piece.

I'm new myself, but one thing think about is that in SWTOR orange gear isn't "legendary". It's not by default better than a blue or green item you'd get at the same level. Orange just means it's custom and can be upgraded, which allows you to keep the same gear.

My two characers are both only levels 16-17, but I've been focusing on the mods with commendations since in general gear upgrades have dropped more often as loot and quest rewards. But if I do get gear that's better than my current custom gear, I'll keep the custom gear still until I get better mods.

I'm new myself, but one thing think about is that in SWTOR orange gear isn't "legendary". It's not by default better than a blue or green item you'd get at the same level. Orange just means it's custom and can be upgraded, which allows you to keep the same gear.

My two characers are both only levels 16-17, but I've been focusing on the mods with commendations since in general gear upgrades have dropped more often as loot and quest rewards. But if I do get gear that's better than my current custom gear, I'll keep the custom gear still until I get better mods.

By the way orange gear at the same level is better than a green it is considered a blue as you can get fully custom green gear too.

What I did on my 50 was get a set of OJ gear when I was able to. I then used nothing but planet commedations to upgrade them. What spaces were not upgraded by planet, I looked on the GTN. I didn't have to do that often though. Now that I'm 50, I worked on getting a full pvp set. For my alts, I funnel credits to them for crafting and I've made a full set of purple for them all. The highest one being 25 atm. I'm planning on stopping every 5 to 10 levels and making them (and their companions) a full set of purple again. Although, to be fair, I do love to craft ;) So, I don't see it as a waste of time because I'm having fun doing it. Also, the extra purples I can make usually sell within an hour of putting them up.

Well, it's not that hard to calculate.

Let's say you had an orange chest armor.

3 modification slots

Armoring 7 commendtions

Mod 2 commendations

Enhancement 2 commendations

7+2+2=11

vs.

Buying all new orange chest armor with equivalent mods already in it

12 commendations

11<12

that being said, it really comes down to if you like the looks of your old armor better than whatever new piece you would replace it with.

True. However, you can also get orange armor with Fleet Commendations and Warzone Commendations. If you don't have anything else to spend those on, and the gear is better, may as well spend those on orange pieces for the mods, which I've done at least once.

Well, it's not that hard to calculate.

Let's say you had an orange chest armor.

3 modification slots

Armoring 7 commendtions

Mod 2 commendations

Enhancement 2 commendations

7+2+2=11

vs.

Buying all new orange chest armor with equivalent mods already in it

12 commendations

11<12

that being said, it really comes down to if you like the looks of your old armor better than whatever new piece you would replace it with.

sometimes the gear might actually come with better mods that you can buy, so it can be worth it.

mods like resolve are usually a lower level than the standard ones, so an orange peice with resolve mods on can have high level mods