Sniper is some how underpower class in swtor

kanun

Hello mates ; I reached lvl 50 2 weeks ago ;and I made my full battlemaster pvp set new too ( almost got one piece warhero piece too now ) . But when I enter to warzones I am living hard times against melee classes + sorcs realy. I am dying realy fast ;and there is realy less places to hide for support ,from behind. When thy see me thy attack me first always. I am at marksmanship tech tree which I love most at playing .

I cannot burst my damage as faster as other classes .So I was said as " underpower " ed class comparing to other gear ed classes in the game. There is already less difference between warhero and battlemaster stats too ; so What should I do at my sniper for a better survivability and damage burst.

Inaddition, I am trying to find an active pvp guild ;but thy don't get battlemaster gears.... Hard to make a premade group at my server ( tomb of freedon nadd ,sith side ). Everyone here like pve most !!!! I realy don't get them . So I enter with randoms and siths are realy useless at warzone pvp at my server.. losing every matches...

I'm grinding WH gear out now too and am about half way to full WH. While far from an expert I play the MM tree as well. Quite honestly it sounds like you just need some more WH gear. I find when I put up the red shield it is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. You get focused. It happens and you die fast.

Something I've done lately is using the orbital strike as an extra defense when I get a melee on top of me. Many times it will back them off for the duration of the strike where you can either re-position or lay into them. Situational dependent of course but when it is off cool down and you don't need it on a node seems to work pretty good.

I know there are other snipers here who can say for more about this than I but thought I'd at least respond.

Gear certainly does help dude I won't deny that but we are not underpowered. For example just take a look at this thread.

Other classes do not like us because we can dish out a lot of damage. Because of that we are focused and when you're a fresh lvl 50 dude (which you appear to be) the difference between 1-49 and lvl 50 pvp is huge. It takes time to adjust, you cannot play a sniper in lvl 50 as you would in lowbie warzones.

Gear certainly makes a difference. I personally play lethality spec which benefits greatly from mobility. Leg shot, debilitate and flashbang are your friend in PVP because in full WH your damage will be awesome. Edited by IdrianDave

Gear certainly makes a difference. I personally play lethality spec which benefits greatly from mobility. Leg shot, debilitate and flashbang are your friend in PVP because in full WH your damage will be awesome.

And with lethality you are in the worst possible place to use leg shot and flash bang. Besides lethality is very very dependent on your gear crit rating. If its too low, you will not get any energy back. This is the reason why i do not like any of those builds that focus exlusively on power, you basically say bye bye to lethality.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Gear makes a huge difference as a sniper. I finally got my war hero gear and fully augmented it and i have to say I am a beast. I play either engeineering or Lethality trees. I just cannot get into the marksman play style. It gets better once you grind out the gear.

In engineering i can frequently hit someone in heavy armor for 5k+4k+ with explosive probe/ambush. As lethality my crit rating is at 39.xx% (51.xx%) for poison effects, which allows Cull to hit like a truck.

Battlemaster gear has too low crit values, that is the problem, either u have to spend time to itemize, which is unlogical, or try to reach reach War Hero gear as quickly as possible...

When u reach War Hero, following will happen to a Marauder if u are a MM, u are in cover, so he can't jump and build rage, the u dump him a Diversion canister (u can entrench in the mean if u like ) for the next 10s he will have really difficulties to damage u (his only yellow damage is Force Scream)....now u dump him a Series of Shot 6K damage in 3s, Ambush 5K crit,, followthrough 5K crit, Takedown 5K crit, that is 21K damage inside of 7.5s if he is still alive pop evasion so he will miss another 3s then get out of cover quickly, re-cover, instant snipe then follow through for additional 7K damage, if he can survive 28K damage inside of 12s, then he must have a real good healer.....

Same recipe for Sin Tanks, only they are tanks, it take longer, then it is really usefull to pop shield probe + Orbital Strike on u.....

Edited by floriwie

Battlemaster gear has too low crit values, that is the problem, either u have to spend time to itemize, which is unlogical, or try to reach reach War Hero gear as quickly as possible...

When u reach War Hero, following will happen to a Marauder if u are a MM, u are in cover, so he can't jump and build rage, the u dump him a Diversion canister (u can entrench in the mean if u like ) for the next 10s he will have really difficulties to damage u (his only yellow damage is Force Scream)....now u dump him a Series of Shot 6K damage in 3s, Ambush 5K crit,, followthrough 5K crit, Takedown 5K crit, that is 21K damage inside of 7.5s if he is still alive pop evasion so he will miss another 3s then get out of cover quickly, re-cover, instant snipe then follow through for additional 7K damage, if he can survive 28K damage inside of 12s, then he must have a real good healer.....

Same recipe for Sin Tanks, only they are tanks, it take longer, then it is really usefull to pop shield probe + Orbital Strike on u.....

It's not that simple actually. You are implying that the marauder is someone without access to any of his own CDs. The fight with them is way more subtle. What you listed is pure raw damage that marauder himself can counter pretty well.

Here are a few things fighting any marauder you need to consider:

1. Cloak of pain: if you can find an opportunity not to hurt the marauder for 6 seconds so this thing will run out, take it. Either flash bang (which should be better used for other CDs), or better legshot (which if he is left untouched - 5 sec of him being unable to hurt you. If this is not a 1vs1 fight, forget about it. your team mates will refresh this thing.

2. Saberward: This is very very important to get rid of. You need him to waste it as much as possible, the less time he will have to damage you while its on, the better you will survive. You either need flashbang here, or if you want to waste your shots on damaging him with sabeward on, go for tech damage (at least you will do some damage rather than completely miss). Target acquired can also help, this will be mostly a 130% accuracy vs 50% defense, so you got a 20% miss chance, still better than 50%.

Knocking back: Use your ambush knockback first, followed by a legshot. Cover pulse should be the second knockback. By the time he gets back to you, use ambush again.

Ideally you want cover pulse saved for ravage. You wil always eat 2 hits from ravage, but its important to not allow the third one, which hits as much as the first two combined. 2 hits = 4000 damage, 3 hits = 8000 damage. Why knockback him? well because most often they will ravage you when they are low on rage and their rage building abilities like battering assault are on CD (ravage does not cost rage) , by putting them at distance, not only you interrupt their ravage, but you don't allow them to use their rage building abilities and thus any other stuff like force scream.

Obfuscate: keep an eye for this one. Your MM abilities will not hit anything if you get it on you. And they will aply it because its an ability of global CD. make sure you will notice that debuff icon!! Tech abilities: grenades, corrosive dart, shiv are you friends. You have no idea how many maras have been killed by my shiv simply because i had an access to a 2000 yellow damage ability.

If you are MM, get siege bunker!!!! In combination with ballistic dampers, it will make their super smash a tickling. 400-500 damage smash is nice, isnt't it? :)

That's about it. It's more difficult to fight 2 marauders at the same time as MM, it not that powerful in this situation. More or less you are supposed to die without help. This is more a case study for engineering, which can handle these situations. I was able to keep civil war nodes from 4 melees for 30 seconds with my engineering, alone.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I was made myself full power stat base on the armors- I am MM usually ;but If I want to change my spectrum to engineer tree, power is still good for aoe skills ( orbital and fire damage skills- electro probe skill ) right ? I

I was made myself full power stat base on the armors- I am MM usually ;but If I want to change my spectrum to engineer tree, power is still good for aoe skills ( orbital and fire damage skills- electro probe skill ) right ? I

Currently the full power build is best usef with engineering.

No crit for lethality = no energy from crit dots

No crit for MM = tank shields will activate more often and reduce your power stacked normal damage, its debatable of course as with MM you shouldnt be fighting tanks, but no crits only aggravates the issue. Assasins will also get a lot of goodies with your attacks get shielded.

Edited by NoTomorrow

It's not that simple actually. You are implying that the marauder is someone without access to any of his own CDs. The fight with them is way more subtle. What you listed is pure raw damage that marauder himself can counter pretty well.

Here are a few things fighting any marauder you need to consider:

1. Cloak of pain: if you can find an opportunity not to hurt the marauder for 6 seconds so this thing will run out, take it. Either flash bang (which should be better used for other CDs), or better legshot (which if he is left untouched - 5 sec of him being unable to hurt you. If this is not a 1vs1 fight, forget about it. your team mates will refresh this thing.

2. Saberward: This is very very important to get rid of. You need him to waste it as much as possible, the less time he will have to damage you while its on, the better you will survive. You either need flashbang here, or if you want to waste your shots on damaging him with sabeward on, go for tech damage (at least you will do some damage rather than completely miss). Target acquired can also help, this will be mostly a 130% accuracy vs 50% defense, so you got a 20% miss chance, still better than 50%.

Knocking back: Use your ambush knockback first, followed by a legshot. Cover pulse should be the second knockback. By the time he gets back to you, use ambush again.

Ideally you want cover pulse saved for ravage. You wil always eat 2 hits from ravage, but its important to not allow the third one, which hits as much as the first two combined. 2 hits = 4000 damage, 3 hits = 8000 damage. Why knockback him? well because most often they will ravage you when they are low on rage and their rage building abilities like battering assault are on CD (ravage does not cost rage) , by putting them at distance, not only you interrupt their ravage, but you don't allow them to use their rage building abilities and thus any other stuff like force scream.

Obfuscate: keep an eye for this one. Your MM abilities will not hit anything if you get it on you. And they will aply it because its an ability of global CD. make sure you will notice that debuff icon!! Tech abilities: grenades, corrosive dart, shiv are you friends. You have no idea how many maras have been killed by my shiv simply because i had an access to a 2000 yellow damage ability.

If you are MM, get siege bunker!!!! In combination with ballistic dampers, it will make their super smash a tickling. 400-500 damage smash is nice, isnt't it? :)

That's about it. It's more difficult to fight 2 marauders at the same time as MM, it not that powerful in this situation. More or less you are supposed to die without help. This is more a case study for engineering, which can handle these situations. I was able to keep civil war nodes from 4 melees for 30 seconds with my engineering, alone.

Against really good Marauders u a right, but for some reason, they eat the diversion but still try to pound me....

If both side is talented is off course it is a thing of who i managing its cool down better but the things I mentioned before plus an Orbital Strike casted on u is most of the time is the solution....

Ohh, one more tip, always try to keep 10 m range to the Marauder so he can jump on u, if he go backwards go towards him :)

I very well may be wrong but isnt engineering the tree most pvp snipers use b/c all the abilities that allow them to hold caps and such

The main thing about engineering is AoE and survivability. You'd wonder what makes engineering so resilient, it's the Tier 6 skill, deployed shields which basically transforms you into a heavy armor class when you take cover. The other thing is more powerful shield probe. I still have no idea how much damage that thing can abbsorv but it's huge with engineering. And since you have EMP Detonate, you can get a second one shield probe when the first one ends.

In combination with ballistic dampers and entrench, this allows for some pretty good burst damage mitigation.

The main thing about engineering is AoE and survivability. You'd wonder what makes engineering so resilient, it's the Tier 6 skill, deployed shields which basically transforms you into a heavy armor class when you take cover. The other thing is more powerful shield probe. I still have no idea how much damage that thing can abbsorv but it's huge with engineering. And since you have EMP Detonate, you can get a second one shield probe when the first one ends.

In combination with ballistic dampers and entrench, this allows for some pretty good burst damage mitigation.

As engineer when you are fully min maxed for power (PvP) your probes absorb close to 4k. Highest single heal i have ever had is 3.7k coming from shield probe. Naturally, since you can pop that baby twice in a fight, you become very tank like. In duels you can fight anybody except DoT specced classes who know how to kite and how a pillar close by ;)

I have played all 3 sniper specs and I like all of em, but when ever I go PvP, rated or just full premade for normals, i always spec engineering, since i so miss the survivability and extra stun. Somehow followthrough and 30% higher crits from marksman tree seems less important to me.