Why is the light saber so weak?

Being a huge Star Wars fan, I know the light saber is a powerful weapon & one slice could end a life. It cuts through steel doors & is very deadly. However in this game, it only does very minor damage to anyone you are fighting.

I understand that they did not want to make the game too easy by letting you kill with one hit of the light saber, but I do wish the light saber did more damage.

The light saber is an icon of Star Wars & it should be an awesome weapon, but instead its like fighting with a stick. You poke them enough with it you will eventually do some damage.

can you make sword in box light so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

-Battlebug

Never Forget.

OT: They are trying to balance the game, that's why. It's a different design philosophy. Other games, such as SWG and Battlefront, made lightsaber-wielders equivalent to Gods on the battlefield, capable of reflecting most damage and cutting through swaths of bad@ss normals like it's nothing. This game chose to make 8 classes per faction and balance them (no comments on how successful that balancing is) which is why it feels that lightsabers are "weaker" than they should be.

They can't change that because that's against the philosophy of the game, similar to how fantasy MMOs have dimension ripping wizards fighting normal humans who wield swords and shields on an even footing.

Being a huge Star Wars fan, I know the light saber is a powerful weapon & one slice could end a life. It cuts through steel doors & is very deadly. However in this game, it only does very minor damage to anyone you are fighting.

I understand that they did not want to make the game too easy by letting you kill with one hit of the light saber, but I do wish the light saber did more damage.

The light saber is an icon of Star Wars & it should be an awesome weapon, but instead its like fighting with a stick. You poke them enough with it you will eventually do some damage.

Should Lightsabers have the ability to kill in one shot realistically [so to speak =p] yes, but so should Blaster pistols, Sniper Rifles, Vibroswords, Shotguns, Assassult cannons, and every other weapon. It's kinda a mote point. They don't kill in one shot, because who the hell would want to play a game where they get killed in one shot? Realism has no place in gaming. You know a lot of people who can levitate things or cause lightning to shoot from their fingertips? =p

If lightsaber did significantly more damage than other weapon types in the game, no one would play classes that can't use lightsabers, besides, a blaster bolt to the face has an equal argument for kill/damage power potential.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I think about it like this: each strike you make is not actually a full-on hit. You hit armor, or grazed, or maybe just tired your opponent further, until you got them into position for the final, actual "cut-off-limbs" attack.

Never Forget.

OT: They are trying to balance the game, that's why. It's a different design philosophy. Other games, such as SWG and Battlefront, made lightsaber-wielders equivalent to Gods on the battlefield, capable of reflecting most damage and cutting through swaths of bad@ss normals like it's nothing. This game chose to make 8 classes per faction and balance them (no comments on how successful that balancing is) which is why it feels that lightsabers are "weaker" than they should be.

They can't change that because that's against the philosophy of the game, similar to how fantasy MMOs have dimension ripping wizards fighting normal humans who wield swords and shields on an even footing.

^^^^^^

Thanx, so i don't have to write, because i cant. But that's it in a Nutshell. In MMO's they do not usually go by real life Combat, because if they did, then people would destroy and pillage all of the Devs gardens and shrines.

So, each MMO has to have a Thoeocracy, or i should say a 'certain belief system' that doesn't make sense to people, but it keeps the masses from going ape.................. Well, usually.

Should Lightsabers have the ability to kill in one shot realistically [so to speak =p] yes, but so should Blaster pistols, Sniper Rifles, Vibroswords, Shotguns, Assassult cannons, and every other weapon. It's kinda a mote point. They don't kill in one shot, because who the hell would want to play a game where they get killed in one shot? Realism has no place in gaming. You know a lot of people who can levitate things or cause lightning to shoot from their fingertips? =p

If lightsaber did significantly more damage than other weapon types in the game, no one would play classes that can't use lightsabers, besides, a blaster bolt to the face has an equal argument for kill/damage power potential.

Sums it up nicely. :)

can you make sword in box light so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

-Battlebug

ALL YOUR PLASMA ARE BELONG TO US

Damn you, made me google it :D

Yes, light sabers are weak. The strong ones are the heavy sabers. :p

:D:D:D

On a side note, I don't like to play my Scrapper, I kinda felt ashamed fragging Siths with jabs and uppercups in WZs...

Edited by BenduKundalini

who the hell would want to play a game where they get killed in one shot

I would first like to get out of the way that I fully agree with your point, but the quoted bit stood out to me, being someone who played instagib gametypes in the

nearly every day for about 10 years. :p Edited by cyrusramsey

I'd love to see a game with flashy cinematic lightsaber combat and where just like in the films, a lightsaber-wielding force user can cut through hordes of muggles single-handed, without breaking a sweat. Think Luke versus Vader in ESB or Anakin versus Obi Wan as how battles with force users would play out, and Vader at the end of Rogue One or Luke Skywalker on Jabba's sail barge for battles against non-force using mooks.

That game would have to be a single-player RPG however, since no player wants to be a character that is the equivalent of one the 47 goons that get one-shotted by Luke on the sail barge. MMOs need to have balanaced player versus player combat, and all player classes need to be viable for Operations. That means in a Star Wars MMO that Jedi and Sith can't be a god-mode class that is much more powerful than other player characters in gameplay, even through that is the case within the official canon.

TL;DR version: Star Wars MMO's need some story and gameplay segregation when it comes to combat.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Counter Strike....

I assume/make believe that there are armor and other counters to the light sabre that mitigate its awesomeness.

Otherwise, it is all Eagles for Taxis to Mount Doom.

Edited by Elvathelion

Thinking back on it, this is really the best way to sum it up, on top of the post mentioning factors of armor and grazing and such (also important to note that there are shield generators in this time period, which helped handwave this issue back in KOTOR if I'm not mistaken). A lot of weapons should have a lot more kill potential than can be represented in this kind of game. Hell, snipers also have infinitely greater range than they do in game. Because this is an MMORPG, not a first or third person shooter.

Really, this is standard fair everywhere. Putting aside the notion of the light saber having some of the most famous cutting power in fiction in general, normal swords as a general rule also do the job just fine most of the time, but they typically don't fair any better than lightsabers in fantasy RPGs.

As an exercise, picture what would happen if this game's combat more closely mimicked reality in this way. Combat would devolve into who can get the first hit in, with it lasting in chaotic bursts. Healing would probably take a hit because accelerating the damage granted by lightsabers or other weapons makes it harder for them to keep up unless probably they get buffs.

Counter Strike....

My own two cents to add on.

Dark Souls...