Distance Damage for Damage over Time (DoT) Characters

Why not instead of nerfing the DoT classes in the game why not consider a different option. Like starfighter the distance you are from your target depends on the potency of your blasters... why not consider the same effect for DoT classes in PVP and PVE.

For instance, if a person is within 30 meters of the target it does 100% of the intended damage as it currently does no changes. However, if a person is lets say 30-60 meters it does 80 % of the intended damage and then 61+ does 50% of the damage intended. A three tier would suffice.

My thought on this is it would challenge those who DoT and hide and allow only the DoT mechanic to do the work for them. So it allows for better evasion and possible mitigation of the damage and requires more participation for the person implementing the DoT.

MayTheForceBw/U

So essentially, nothing would change. Most ranged abilities are capped at 30 meters, for casting. As to hit and run tactics being an issue, that's how most of the DoT classes are designed to be played. Cloth classes, barring Assassin/Shadow tanks, aren't supposed to tank players/mobs, that's the actual tank's job, so they don't, or aren't supposed to just stand there and get hit. My Operatives don't do much hit and run, but since they're essentially melee anyway, that's no surprise, but my sniper doesn't just sit there waiting for mobs to close, that's not how the class is meant to be played.

Trying to code "well, you cast it within range, and then moved away to x distance" will be a lagfest bit of code, since it will have to check distance constantly. Multiplied by everyone playing the game at any given moment that's casting a DoT. We just saw how the servers handled something similar with the "portion of xp earned converted to CXP" thing last week.

• 2 weeks later...

So being further away would make you do less damage? Why would you want to add that?

Also, ranged classes are limited to 30(35) meters, and that is more than enough. Even if they get a damage penalty, why do you want them to have 60m range?

At first I thought your proposal is about the opposite - lower their damage if they are too close. This would not work either as that would just make them completely useless. In almost no encounter, PvE or PvP, ranged players stay at full 30 meters. In PvE it's even less viable as ranged players actually stay in melee most of the time. Or just close, in 10meter range. It is done because of stacking for aoe heals and for doing mechanics.

So being further away would make you do less damage? Why would you want to add that?

Also, ranged classes are limited to 30(35) meters, and that is more than enough. Even if they get a damage penalty, why do you want them to have 60m range?

At first I thought your proposal is about the opposite - lower their damage if they are too close. This would not work either as that would just make them completely useless. In almost no encounter, PvE or PvP, ranged players stay at full 30 meters. In PvE it's even less viable as ranged players actually stay in melee most of the time. Or just close, in 10meter range. It is done because of stacking for aoe heals and for doing mechanics.

I think OP is asking to extend the range of the DoT classes which now (at least for the melee DoT classes) is 30m. OP is asking to extend the range of those classes beyond 30m, but nerf the damage past 30m. If I'm understanding this right, this would make these classes ridiculously OP....

Seeing I prefer ranged, I vote YES for this proposal of ranged attacks being increased to 60m.

I appreciate how you feel about my vision here... but we fail to see the point

All kinetics in science strength reduces over distance. not increase or stay the same, so again unrealistic development making it a heavy handed game for the few not all as an MMO is designed for...

If you want to be cowardly and run with the ability to attack then you should be nerfed plain and simple as running and hiding is a mech and smart but being abused with players with over powered toons

Edited by Amunra-amunray
Confused the response

All kinetics in science strength reduces over distance.

That doesn't make sense, your toons shoot laz0rs and force powers not projectiles for the most part. Besides, the title suggets this is about DoT classes DoT's are basically poison why would the damage poison inflicts change with the distance of the character to it's target that's not how poison works.

That doesn't make sense, your toons shoot laz0rs and force powers not projectiles for the most part. Besides, the title suggets this is about DoT classes DoT's are basically poison why would the damage poison inflicts change with the distance of the character to it's target that's not how poison works.

Or fire. I noticed the other day that a lot of the specs I play tend to set their targets on fire. Fire don't get weaker just because you ran away from it. It tends to die on its own over time after consuming what it was burning.

All other discussion aside, I believe the OP just wants a nerf to DoT classes? I suppose what they could change is front-load the damage that DoTs do so that it's still not doing as much damage if the caster is no longer there to refresh said DoT. Perhaps have 50% of the total damage be done in the first 3 seconds, 30% on the next 3 seconds and 20% on the rest of the DoT timer.

Though that probably makes it closer to a Burst with a lingering DoT rather than an actual DoT spec and the devs would probably balance accordingly.

I appreciate how you feel about my vision here... but we fail to see the point

All kinetics in science strength reduces over distance. not increase or stay the same, so again unrealistic development making it a heavy handed game for the few not all as an MMO is designed for...

If you want to be cowardly and run with the ability to attack then you should be nerfed plain and simple as running and hiding is a mech and smart but being abused with players with over powered toons

So we conducted a little experiment, and had a volunteer put a lit match in their pocket and then move to x distances from where they put it in their pocket. The results would likely surprise you, the fire was just as hot at 30 and 60 meters as it was at the inception point. Next we shot the volunteer with flaming projectiles from assorted ranges, and the times we actually managed to hit said volunteer at those ranges, the fire was still just as hot. We couldn't find a volunteer to be bitten by a spider or poisonous snake, but here's my bet, the venom won't lose potency based on distance from the location where they would have been bitten.

So you got rolled in PvP by someone using a DoT eh?

Edited by robertthebard

It makes perfect sense if you study actual science in school. Do to resisitance, distance, friction etc speed and strength of that speed is reduced over the length of the distance test. For instance a Race car for years they have tried to get them faster and travel longer based on certain factors but we are still bound by the rulers of science...

It may not make sense entirely to all, but it does make sense...

So we conducted a little experiment, and had a volunteer put a lit match in their pocket and then move to x distances from where they put it in their pocket. The results would likely surprise you, the fire was just as hot at 30 and 60 meters as it was at the inception point. Next we shot the volunteer with flaming projectiles from assorted ranges, and the times we actually managed to hit said volunteer at those ranges, the fire was still just as hot. We couldn't find a volunteer to be bitten by a spider or poisonous snake, but here's my bet, the venom won't lose potency based on distance from the location where they would have been bitten.

So you got rolled in PvP by someone using a DoT eh?

I am trying to remain a subscriber and so are many others but will not come into a game that is only fun for DEVs and Subs that have been here longer than most...

It just makes economic sense to please all your subscribers not just the ones that write code or brown nose...

I am trying to remain a subscriber and so are many others but will not come into a game that is only fun for DEVs and Subs that have been here longer than most...

It just makes economic sense to please all your subscribers not just the ones that write code or brown nose...

I'm not entirely sure what level of reality you're operating on...but it must be a fun one.

So you sincerely believe that nerfing the classes people are actively playing in PvP will please them?

Delusion, learn it, love it, live it.

It makes perfect sense if you study actual science in school. Do to resisitance, distance, friction etc speed and strength of that speed is reduced over the length of the distance test. For instance a Race car for years they have tried to get them faster and travel longer based on certain factors but we are still bound by the rulers of science...

1, Race cars have increased speed over time, as science has developed, they got bigger, faster and could travel further.

2. the science in this game is based on waaaaay more advanced science than what we have, so subcribing our limitations on thier science is absurd. Just like a cave man could not envision what we can today, chances are we can't envision what they can in thier world.

3, it's a game, games make stuff up. games fit things.

4. I'm not entirely sure the devs or coders actually play this game, if they did, i'm sure most of the bugs or stuff that annoys the players would never have gotten on to a live server. And long time subs aren't brown noses, most long time subs stay because it's a star wars MMO, they enjoy, and it's all we have :)

1, Race cars have increased speed over time, as science has developed, they got bigger, faster and could travel further.

2. the science in this game is based on waaaaay more advanced science than what we have, so subcribing our limitations on thier science is absurd. Just like a cave man could not envision what we can today, chances are we can't envision what they can in thier world.

3, it's a game, games make stuff up. games fit things.

4. I'm not entirely sure the devs or coders actually play this game, if they did, i'm sure most of the bugs or stuff that annoys the players would never have gotten on to a live server. And long time subs aren't brown noses, most long time subs stay because it's a star wars MMO, they enjoy, and it's all we have :)

Just watch out for your caveman analogies!

You did great navigating within the rules of the forums I give you credit there!

My analogy directly linked the individual I responded to, and I was hit with a warning because they or someone was offended I referred to a specific person as the caveman in my analogy. :o

Good points though, I always find it funny when people begin to compare real science and reality to fictitious games built around so many unreal things and unreal sciences.

If we go down this rabbit hole we can literally pick the entire game apart.

There is an element of artistic freedom on the behalf of the developers and game creators who have decided just how much reality they want to insert into their very unreal game world.

Edited by Lhancelot

This is what happens when you almost understand something, but where almost doesn't count.;)

Your OP is a bit confusing, but your later posts kinda help clarify what I think you're trying to argue for. Originally, I assumed you wanted a damage nerf. Others did too, and this is why ppl have pointed out that the damage itself for a DoT wouldn't be nerfed by distance for a DoT (using 'science' and of course un-suspending the disbelief we all have when dealing with the SW universe in general where humans can become invisible and stuff). No matter the range, if someone was hit by a DoT of fire, poison, etc. in theory it could do the same damage if that strike was from 100cm or 100m. It may be true that the potency is decreased by distance (for example if part of the damage is the kinetic force of the initial hit itself)--I grant that--but it need not be true (see "almost" point above).

So what it appears you're arguing for is an "accuracy" nerf with a distance buff. That would make more sense with your 'science' since we'd certainly expect the accuracy of a strike to diminish with distance (again, I'm noting the absurdity of applying 'science' to the SW gaming universe at all). The same problems I raised earlier persist though. These DoT classes would be OP, especially melee classes. In PvP, they'd be able to hit and keep at distance to avoid any counters. This is why melee DoTs are capped at 30m, and many abilities at 10m.

Even with accuracy dropping to, say, 30% but at a much greater distance (e.g. 60m), a rather average PvPer like me would be extremely lethal and also probably unkillable. It's also worth pointing out that mathematically, nerfing accuracy with 100% damage vs. nerfing damage with 100% accuracy can be made to achieve the same result (again, reinforcing the "almost" point above), so giving any boost to range will be purely a net buff with no real downside at all....

• 2 weeks later...

Most things that advance great gameplay take time to iron out....

This is what happens when you almost understand something, but where almost doesn't count.;)

Your OP is a bit confusing, but your later posts kinda help clarify what I think you're trying to argue for. Originally, I assumed you wanted a damage nerf. Others did too, and this is why ppl have pointed out that the damage itself for a DoT wouldn't be nerfed by distance for a DoT (using 'science' and of course un-suspending the disbelief we all have when dealing with the SW universe in general where humans can become invisible and stuff). No matter the range, if someone was hit by a DoT of fire, poison, etc. in theory it could do the same damage if that strike was from 100cm or 100m. It may be true that the potency is decreased by distance (for example if part of the damage is the kinetic force of the initial hit itself)--I grant that--but it need not be true (see "almost" point above).

So what it appears you're arguing for is an "accuracy" nerf with a distance buff. That would make more sense with your 'science' since we'd certainly expect the accuracy of a strike to diminish with distance (again, I'm noting the absurdity of applying 'science' to the SW gaming universe at all). The same problems I raised earlier persist though. These DoT classes would be OP, especially melee classes. In PvP, they'd be able to hit and keep at distance to avoid any counters. This is why melee DoTs are capped at 30m, and many abilities at 10m.

Even with accuracy dropping to, say, 30% but at a much greater distance (e.g. 60m), a rather average PvPer like me would be extremely lethal and also probably unkillable. It's also worth pointing out that mathematically, nerfing accuracy with 100% damage vs. nerfing damage with 100% accuracy can be made to achieve the same result (again, reinforcing the "almost" point above), so giving any boost to range will be purely a net buff with no real downside at all....