KDY Construction Kit's abysmal drop rate

Transairion

So anyone who's played KDY a lot since it came out should've noticed the KDY Construction Kit issue... or rather the fact it's so RNG based it's just plain obnoxious.

I've ran the FP several dozen times, and seen the KDY Kit drop maybe 5 times total. Of those 5 times, 4 of them were from Rare Elite spawns.... and only one of them was from the final boss. And given how often a Rare Elite spawns at all (~10% or the time or less), yet it's still higher than the final boss's drop rate... it's just getting silly.

I really don't understand the decision to give KDY easy Reputation, but then gate new Reputation rewards behind extreme RNG: both to have a Rare Elite actually spawn, then to actually win the roll OR have the final boss actually drop one to begin with. At this rate doing all the achievements is faster than actually getting the KDY kits needed...

Of course someone will bring up the "just buy it on the GTN" excuse, but I think it rather unlikely that was intentional and will likely be made BoP/BoL with the next maintenance next week. At the moment the horrible drop rate on KDY kits just seems to be a ploy to make people actually play the FP, even if they've 100%ed the achievements and got Legend Reputation simply because of how many KDY kits are actually needed and how rare a drop they are...

Edited by Transairion

Maybe you missed all the posts "praising" the BoP rep currency with the Gree and Rakghoul events. I've ran *maybe* 10 times over 5+ chars, and I have 3. I'm not sure that counts as 'low'. But if we're talking about server-wide RNG, neither my runs nor the several dozen you have in the 3-4 days since it's release is likely to paint a realistic picture of the drop rate. Edited by eartharioch

Considering the two things you want the kits for are behind Champ/Legend rep, you've got plenty of time to grind the kits.

And they're able to be traded and sold via the GTN and the price is already dropping to 100k per kit.

Except you can't grind the kits because they're not a 100% or even 50% drop, they're low. Real low. You can grind the FP over and over and still end up with the same number of kits simply because the Load Lifter is all that spawns.

If the final boss had a 100% (or even 50%) chance to drop a KDY kit then it'd be a feasible grind, since at least you get to roll on it each time, or some of the time. Not once every 10 or more FP's.

I don't think Reputation items should have anything to do with GTN pricing either but that's just me...

drop rate is horrible but if they drop rate was any higher they would be worthless.

Again why on earth should a Reputation item have anything to do with the GTN market? None of the other Reputations have this, DNA Canisters drop guaranteed from at least two Daily Quests but they're not worthless, now are they?

Maybe you missed all the posts "praising" the BoL rep currency with the Gree and Rakghoul events. I've ran *maybe* 10 times over 5+ chars, and I have 3. I'm not sure that counts as 'low'. But if we're talking about server-wide RNG, neither my 20 runs nor the several dozen you have in the 3-4 days since it's release is likely to paint a realistic picture of the drop rate.

Well the BoL currency you speak of was BoP, hence could not be traded even across Legacy so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here (BoL =/= GTN tradeable).

And I've run it enough to know that the final boss almost never drops the KDY kit (it dropped it my first time so I thought it was 100%), and the rare spawns appear more often than the boss drops it.... and the vast, vast majority of the time, they don't spawn.

The only reason the Kits are even on the GTN now is because there's only 3 Reputation items that need them and if you're not interested in those they're worthless to you (why they're Needing on them as a result is another question, unless they're soloing).

Edited by Transairion

Well the BoL currency you speak of was BoP, hence could not be traded even across Legacy so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here (BoL =/= GTN tradeable).

And I've run it enough to know that the final boss almost never drops the KDY kit (it dropped it my first time so I thought it was 100%), and the rare spawns appear more often than the boss drops it.... and the vast, vast majority of the time, they don't spawn.

The only reason the Kits are even on the GTN now is because there's only 3 Reputation items that need them and if you're not interested in those they're worthless to you (why they're Needing on them as a result is another question, unless they're soloing).

1) I meant BoP, it was a typo (I fixed it in my original reply, thanks for catching it) -- people complained asking to get it made BoL, if not tradeable, and BW said that (due to technical limitations), it had to be BoP or fully tradeable.

2) You obviously haven't run it enough, or you wouldn't still be running it. There are plenty of threads about how RNG and probability work (mainly in the crafting session), but they can all be basically summed up as: The plural of anecdote is not data. All you can tell us is that you have ran it a few times and didn't get as many Kits as you wanted. I've told you that I've ran it much less and seen it drop more (I definitely didn't win every drop).

3) I can't imagine any scenario in which I would criticize anybody for ever rolling need on the Kits.

As far as GTN Kit pricing goes, I think there's a saying about a customer being born every minute.

1) I meant BoP, it was a typo (I fixed it in my original reply, thanks for catching it) -- people complained asking to get it made BoL, if not tradeable, and BW said that (due to technical limitations), it had to be BoP or fully tradeable.

May I point out Bounty Week currency IS BoL and the Gree/Rakghoul are literally the only event currencies that are not BoL and are BoP instead.

2) You obviously haven't run it enough, or you wouldn't still be running it. There are plenty of threads about how RNG and probability work (mainly in the crafting session), but they can all be basically summed up as: The plural of anecdote is not data. All you can tell us is that you have ran it a few times and didn't get as many Kits as you wanted. I've told you that I've ran it much less and seen it drop more (I definitely didn't win every drop).

I've run it enough to be able to see basic patterns (like if it was 100%, it would've dropped all the time. If it was 50%, I would've seen it around half the time). I've hardly seen it at all, and multiple people also running it have commented they never see it either (to the point people wouldn't believe me that the final boss even has a chance to drop it, since in many runs they'd never seen a KDY kit at all).

If it was a decent drop rate it'd be obviously so, you can only run it so many times and miss out before "You're just unlucky" doesn't apply anymore. The drop rate is awfully low.

3) I can't imagine any scenario in which I would criticize anybody for ever rolling need on the Kits.

As far as GTN Kit pricing goes, I think there's a saying about a customer being born every minute.

Well rolling Need on a Kit just to sell it on the GTN instead of using it yourself... don't really think that should be encouraged, should it?

Every time I solo it I get a drop.

From where? The final boss, Rare Elites? Both?

Edited by Transairion

It doesn't really help when you're in the group that skips as many elites/champs as possible because "long fight, no reward".

The elite defenders are like the only thing that drops any rewards (reputation/kits) in the flashpoint, so what kind of insane logic is that?

The elite defenders are like the only thing that drops any rewards (reputation/kits) in the flashpoint, so what kind of insane logic is that?

This is why I just enter with my healing comp and kill Elites till I get a drop (if you're farming for kits just exit and reset as soon as you get a drop). I'm not repeating this on more chars though cause I only want that speeder on my main.

And they're able to be traded and sold via the GTN and the price is already dropping to 100k per kit.

I wish that was the case on my server (JC). Cheapest kit, at least as of a few minutes ago, was 199k. Lots listed north of 500k. I have no idea if they're actually selling at those prices, of course.

I wish that was the case on my server (JC). Cheapest kit, at least as of a few minutes ago, was 199k. Lots listed north of 500k. I have no idea if they're actually selling at those prices, of course.

It's less than a week since it opened.

It'll take, at the very LEAST, 4 more weeks to hit Champion/Legendary.

By that time, the GTN will be glutted with the things and everyone will have had a good chance to get as many as they need/want.

If you hit Legendary and you still don't have the kits you need and they're not stupidly cheap on the GTN, then people can come here and complain legitimately.

Until then, people are complaining about not having enough kits RIGHT NOW that they can't use for another month.

Which is silly.

By that time, the GTN will be glutted with the things and everyone will have had a good chance to get as many as they need/want.

If you hit Legendary and you still don't have the kits you need and they're not stupidly cheap on the GTN, then people can come here and complain legitimately.

Until then, people are complaining about not having enough kits RIGHT NOW that they can't use for another month.

Which is silly.

Oh, I completely agree with everything you stated 100%, and I'm in no rush to pile up these kits myself (though I would probably buy a few if the price somehow bottomed out). I was just responding to the comment about prices dropping to 100k-ish. I'm not seeing that...yet. You're right, of course. Prices will inevitably drop and people will have more than enough of these things. Patience is a virtue.

Which is silly.

^^ Patience. The time will come when you probably cannot give them away.

Note: There were a half of dozen of them late on patch day on The Harbinger for 75K credits... and a scale of pricing upward from there.

Note: There were a half of dozen of them late on patch day on The Harbinger for 75K credits... and a scale of pricing upward from there.

The only thing I want to know is if people are actually buying them at any price...I hardly doubt this would be the first time somebody put something on the GTN for a stupid price thinking, "What's the worst case? Somebody actually gives me that much money?"

The only thing I want to know is if people are actually buying them at any price...I hardly doubt this would be the first time somebody put something on the GTN for a stupid price thinking, "What's the worst case? Somebody actually gives me that much money?"

Yeah, don't know for sure.

I saw them listed for multiples at 75K and then other multiples all they way up to 1M. Mind you .. this was day one... and It took longer then one day for people to gather a collective mindset that the drop rates suck. On the other hand, there are limited uses for these, and not even until you pretty much cap out your rep.

The nice thing is... the GTN buyers will decide what the proper price is and that is the price they will settle in around for the majority of listings. Harbinger buyers for the most part, in my observation, tend to pretty savvy on going rates for items in the GTN and won't pay absurd prices in most cases unless they are simply totally impatient or have too many credits to care.

Edited by Andryah

Which is silly.

Frankly that just isn't true. The horrible drop rate results in running it multiple times a day, many times a day in fact having no reward since it's 100% RNG based as to whether it drops at all.

And on top of that, you then have to compete with 3 other people for it IF it drops at all so there's another RNG system on top of that. It isn't one KDY kit for everyone, it's one KDY kit for whoever wins the roll.

At this rate I'll have completed every achievement KDY has (ie running the FP 50+ times) before I even get 5 KDY kits because their drop rate is horrid. Then what, just keep running the FP over and over and over and over hoping each time there'll be a KDY kit when 90% of tries there won't be?

Sorry but every other grind at least you get steady rewards or can see how you're going and it's not banked on winning the RNG lottery. We didn't have to kill Martinique Dessler 12 times to get a Dessler Explorer, pretty much the same thing applies here...

Frankly that just isn't true. The horrible drop rate results in running it multiple times a day, many times a day in fact having no reward since it's 100% RNG based as to whether it drops at all.

And on top of that, you then have to compete with 3 other people for it IF it drops at all so there's another RNG system on top of that. It isn't one KDY kit for everyone, it's one KDY kit for whoever wins the roll.

At this rate I'll have completed every achievement KDY has (ie running the FP 50+ times) before I even get 5 KDY kits because their drop rate is horrid. Then what, just keep running the FP over and over and over and over hoping each time there'll be a KDY kit when 90% of tries there won't be?

Sorry but every other grind at least you get steady rewards or can see how you're going and it's not banked on winning the RNG lottery. We didn't have to kill Martinique Dessler 12 times to get a Dessler Explorer, pretty much the same thing applies here...

Some items are just harder to come by. Same way that the Red Sphere isn't easy to get, same way that the Barnacles for the Rak event aren't guaranteed to you just for killing the Eyeless, same way that you have to roll against everyone else for Titan 6 and the other rare speeders in certain Operations.

At least with this one if it comes down to it you can run dailies on a few toons and buy up all the kits you need to once you have the rep.

Some items are just harder to come by. Same way that the Red Sphere isn't easy to get, same way that the Barnacles for the Rak event aren't guaranteed to you just for killing the Eyeless, same way that you have to roll against everyone else for Titan 6 and the other rare speeders in certain Operations.

At least with this one if it comes down to it you can run dailies on a few toons and buy up all the kits you need to once you have the rep.

So I'm confused but what part of Reputation at all equates to rare mount drops from HM/Nightmare level Op bosses or outright Operations? Most rare drops are one off special/unique rewards, not Reputation Currency that gives you the ability to buy a reward if you get more...

Barnacles I'd be willing to agree, except unlike KDY kits you only require 3 Barnacles total to get every Reputation reward. Yes, three for everything. KDY you need 17 kits, and the only non-KDY kit Reputation item even offered is rehashed older armor... so actual new content, KDY kits.

Their drop rate is too low and I can't see any justification for it being this way especially since they're a requirement for all the actually new rewards, and not a single other Reputation follows this pattern. The current KDY kit setup is like if the only way to get Rakghoul DNA Canisters was that there was a 10% drop rate for one (1!) Cansiter every time you did the Heroic. If it doesn't drop, too bad, if you lose the roll when it finally does, too bad, you go home empty handed.

As far as I'm aware KDY kits WERE 100% drop from the final boss of KDY on the Pts, so why on Earth was it changed to this mess?

I would have more faith in the GTN if half the time someone's answer to their overpriced item not selling wasn't raising the price even further.

Don't really think Reputation rewards should be based around the GTN's economy either, there's like 15 other Reputation lines why make KDY like that when none of the others are?

Edited by Transairion

So I'm confused but what part of Reputation at all equates to rare mount drops from HM/Nightmare level Op bosses or outright Operations? Most rare drops are one off special/unique rewards, not Reputation Currency that gives you the ability to buy a reward if you get more...

Barnacles I'd be willing to agree, except unlike KDY kits you only require 3 Barnacles total to get every Reputation reward. Yes, three for everything. KDY you need 17 kits, and the only non-KDY kit Reputation item even offered is rehashed older armor... so actual new content, KDY kits.

Their drop rate is too low and I can't see any justification for it being this way especially since they're a requirement for all the actually new rewards, and not a single other Reputation follows this pattern. The current KDY kit setup is like if the only way to get Rakghoul DNA Canisters was that there was a 10% drop rate for one (1!) Cansiter every time you did the Heroic. If it doesn't drop, too bad, if you lose the roll when it finally does, too bad, you go home empty handed.

As far as I'm aware KDY kits WERE 100% drop from the final boss of KDY on the Pts, so why on Earth was it changed to this mess?

I would have more faith in the GTN if half the time someone's answer to their overpriced item not selling wasn't raising the price even further.

Don't really think Reputation rewards should be based around the GTN's economy either, there's like 15 other Reputation lines why make KDY like that when none of the others are?

Three words for you: Cartel Market Certificates. Some Rep items are just not as readily had as others. The Kits are random drops, so they may take time to get or you may have to purchase them. You'll survive. You get the Taun Taun for free on Oricon, some things in game you just have to work for a different way.

A little more pew pew and you'll be good.

Funny, I already have 18.

Part of the issue is people in 78s can curb stomp this solo and gather kits freely, whereas the rest of the peasants in the game need to team up and roll for drops.

Haves gonna have. have nots gonna have not.

So a pvp player, or a non top end raider basically is treated as a peasant and cant have nice things, or fight over the scraps with all the other peasants.