SWTOR player numbers

Rebamcfan

I`ve been trying to find how many people play SWTOR at the moment but with no luck so I decided to turn here for help. Is it millions or just one million players? Also, I`m interested in knowing what`s the population of servers, like for example the Progenitor where I play in. Thanks in advance everyone!

Only BW has those numbers and they don't share them. People love to claim their half baked theory about how to figure out active player is actuate. There are way to many variables. What difference does make? Trying to get some make believe number to support your jaded opinion of the game?

last announcement from BW was around 300.000 subscribers (a few years ago). expect it to be less now.

forgot that they had a sub peak at KOTFE realese but that is gone :)

I can believe that 300k number.

In August when season 1 of KotFE is done there will be a jump but until then then numbers are going to go down as summer breaks start.

last announcement from BW was around 300.000 subscribers (a few years ago). expect it to be less now.

forgot that they had a sub peak at KOTFE realese but that is gone :)

I'd guess around 150k right now. We're at the lowest point we've ever been imo.

Heh, just had a discussion about this yesterday in an off-topic thread -- regarding why I believe there are "hundreds of thousands" (i.e. more than 200,000) of players:

Sure thing -- so in Oct-Dec 2015, they said they hit their highest subscriber level in three years. Three years prior would have been late 2012, when the game was in its infamous post-launch decline. We know the subscriber number dropped below 1 million subs by July 2012, (about three-and-a-half years prior to their 'highest in three years' announcement) but after F2P launched the number "stabilized" at just under 500,000 by May 2013 (about two-and-a-half years prior to the 'three years' announcement).

Therefore, we know subscribers were already below a million by July 2012, we know that 500,000 was where the subscribers 'stabilized' at the end of that decline by May 2013, and they said that in Oct-Dec their subscriber numbers were back up to the highest they've been since sometime in between those two, but for the sake of discussion we'll put the subscriber count at the low end of that range, ~500,000 subscribers, five months ago (which isn't counting in all the additional players who are F2P or preferred).

We haven't had any announcements on player numbers since then (all we know is that "extra content" revenue is up for Jan-Mar), but if subscribers alone were around 500,000 then even completely ignoring F2P and Preferred players, it would have required a 60% drop-off to get below 200,000 (for the plural). I don't think that more than half of the players have left this game in the past five months alone (plus I don't think the number of F2P and Preferred is actually negligible - I'm just leaving them out because they're an unknown).

So, that on its own is my basis for why I find it most plausible that we have hundreds of thousands of players. Factoring in the F2P and preferred players would take a lot more guesswork, so I wouldn't want to rely on that.

...but if I did, my best guess about it would be something along these lines: in Aug 2014 the combined total had more than a million playing each month (time stamp 0:50 on the video). If the number of subscribers had stayed at 500,000 since the May 2013 announcement 15 months prior, then that would mean the ratio was about 1-to-1. If the number of subscribers had dropped during those 15 months, then hitting 1 million in Aug 2014 would have meant there were more non-subscribers than subscribers playing.

Now maybe non-subscribers have left in droves since then, but if there is still even a 1-to-1 ratio of subscribers to non-subscriber players, then that would mean there had been about 1,000,000 players in Oct-Dec, and the necessary drop-off would have to be closer to 80% of players leaving in the past five months in order to dip below 200,000.

If someone asked for my 'best guess' based on the numbers we've gotten in the past, I'd say a little north of 400,000 subs and 800,000 - 900,000 players.

Edited by DarthDymond

Heh, just had a discussion about this yesterday in an off-topic thread -- regarding why I believe there are "hundreds of thousands" (i.e. more than 200,000) of players:

If someone asked for my 'best guess' based on the numbers we've gotten in the past, I'd say a little north of 400,000 subs and 800,000 - 900,000 players.

this right here is some serious number games. LOL i mean just say that number you think cause what you put there is totally just words.

its probably more like 150k subs and that is very generous (total guess might i also say but a feel of how servers are currently) and 150k f2p that dont stay probably more than 1 to 3 weeks before they leave for something else.

this right here is some serious number games. LOL i mean just say that number you think cause what you put there is totally just words.

its probably more like 150k subs and that is very generous (total guess might i also say but a feel of how servers are currently) and 150k f2p that dont stay probably more than 1 to 3 weeks before they leave for something else.

I can't imagine it's that low. Maybe that low for subs who play a lot, but not those paying the fee.

Even if that were true, it still seems to be plenty to sustain the game and do things.

As long as they are putting out new content, you know things are just fine.

On a side note, I do recall EA or Bioware once stating in an interview that they would only need 500k subscribers to sustain the game. Granted this was before release or during the first year. So you'll have to excuse me if my memory is off.

I do know for a fact, this was before F2P and before the CM. Now if you consider how much of an income is generated from that at little expensive for them. We can at least say the game will be quite profitable.

So I don't think it matters how many players there are. Eitherway, it's hard to tell ingame as there are way more locations these days for everyone to be hiding. With Kofte being a reason to be sub, I do think we might still have those 500k subs, give or take. But there's a nice amount of F2P on top of that.

Now spread those out over 17 servers, with different time zones and different peak times. You're bound to run into times where it just feels empty compared to year(s) back.

Of course I could see things completely wrong, but that's my thought.

The only thing we know for sure is that the only truly populated server here in EU is TRE. All the others are dead or dying. TOFN refugees are flocking in these days with the extra week of cheap transfers alongside people from other servers, so if you want to play in either pvp or pve, TRE is the server to go for EU. Edited by JeKoCZ

The only thing we know for sure is that the only truly populated server here in EU is TRE. All the others are dead or dying. TOFN refugees are flocking in these days with the extra week of cheap transfers alongside people from other servers, so if you want to play in either pvp or pve, TRE is the server to go for EU.

I don't consider The Progenitor, my home server dying. It's not exactly bursting with people, but the economy is working, 150 people on either side in the fleet during prime time... not gorgeous, but ok. I wouldn't mind more players, but it's not down to a a level where it becomes a problem. If you're looking for a group for anything, you'll find it, at least during prime time. It's not anywhere near comparable the horror stories you hear from players on deserted North American servers at times.

T3-M4, a German server, is more populated than The Progenitor, even though the peek times are shorter (that is because it is only interesting for players who speak German, of which the vast majority comes from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands... and they all share the exact same time zone). It typically has more than 200 players on either side of the fleet during prime time.

I'm not going to partake in the number guessing game, but I'd say they're nowhere near the amount that they'd feel comfortable with. If they felt happy about their numbers they'd plaster them all over the place like WoW did when it was on its zenith.

150-200 people on the fleets

from 5 to 30 instances in enlighted ops

a couploe of wz going(more or less you pop with the same players one every two wz)

from 10 to 30 players on each planet

let's say slightly below 1000 players online prime time, for each popular server.

There will definitely be an increase after all chapters are available. The thing is that now the strategy is to grant all content to a "current subscriber" that means once all story is there people will sub for a month to play all chapters of story and then unsub again.

Many of my friends are preffered now and said they will just sub like that. Play story and leave again. There is no point of staying. Being preffered is fine if you have some subbed friends. You get ops passes and can que for wz so there is no need to be sub really. But some, very few ppl have to be.

• 1 year later...
This game has one BIG advantage over the others, its STAR WARS! Which means there will always be ppl willing to play the game even if its crap!

I think that is true. We do love SW, not necessarily the game or what bw has done to it but the SW aspect of it.

Therefore the game wont be going anywhere anytime soon!

Thats the problem we have been having. This game isn't going anywhere. Especially not in a direction that garners positive reactions. I know thats not what you meant but I think it rings true for both our versions.