Nightmare Pilgrim: A Test of Patience?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have a very simple question that I'd love for a dev or member of the community team to answer:

Why did you elect to place the map object used to spawn the Nightmare Pilgrim on a 2-hour respawn timer instead of having it reappear instantly once the body vanishes?

Players already receive a 5-day debuff upon defeating the Nightmare Pilgrim that more-or-less prevents them from engaging in combat with it again for the duration. It's also (to my knowledge) the only source of campaign boots. Denova doesn't have a silly "one group at a time" restriction. Neither does any other operation or flashpoint. The additional 2-hour respawn timer in an open world area simply leads to player disappointment, guild-vs-guild/cross-faction griefing, and a hostile playerbase.

And before anyone suggests it...no, player-created schedules are NOT a viable solution. Not everyone is aware of these mythical documents, not everyone is able to re-arrange their schedules to suit the desires of other players, and some people just don't care.

Edited by Andvaranaut
Edited for clarity

I very much agree with this post. Another question I have if those don't get answered is: why is this not instanced? I know he is supposed to be a WB but the current system is extremely frustrating and lacks insight and consideration for the players. I honestly can't see any positives to the way NMP is currently set up!

Sounds to me like when they first created him he only had the 2 hour cooldown. Later the 5 day debuff was added but they just never thought to remove the 2 hour cooldown from the stone. Really doesnt make sense to have both. Even if it is a WB.

I think he was originally supposed to be the 5th Denova Boss but they couldn't get him in thematically so decided to make him a world boss, and then yeah made the 2 hour lockout the original problem then realized someone could just farm him every day so added the 5 day lockout.

I agree the respawn timer should be just flat out done away with.

I very much agree with this post. Another question I have if those don't get answered is: why is this not instanced? I know he is supposed to be a WB but the current system is extremely frustrating and lacks insight and consideration for the players. I honestly can't see any positives to the way NMP is currently set up!

Its a throwback to the old school MMO raiding - back when nothing was instanced. personally i think it's great. I love watching Imp guilds fail and then having them have to watch us one shot it. The sense of competition is placed directly in the game as opposed to message boards and progression websites. It's a breath of fresh air for some and an annoyance to others. I am one of the former. it just doesn't work well with the entitled MMO playerbase of today.

Edited by Typeslice

Its a throwback to the old school MMO raiding - back when nothing was instanced. personally i think it's great. I love watching Imp guilds fail and then having them have to watch us one shot it. The sense of competition is placed directly in the game as opposed to message boards and progression websites. It's a breath of fresh air for some and an annoyance to others. I am one of the former. it just doesn't work well with the entitled MMO playerbase of today.

yeh :D back in ffxi you had 24 / 48 hr respawns with 6+hr spawning windows... Don't complain about 2hr ones :p

It's a world boss, with too good reason to kill it.

As world bosses come, they have long respawn timer, because they aren't only about ability to kill it, but also about doing it before others, and being out of luck if someone just killed it. Additional reason for PvP servers, where it might be better to fight for an hour over who will kill it instead of letting others do it and waiting for it to respawn,

Only thing that could be done about this, is not making world boss only place to get something usefull(non-vanity). After new Ops comes out people will stop doing Pilgrim for gear, and most of the time it'll be avaible to kill.

yeh :D back in ffxi you had 24 / 48 hr respawns with 6+hr spawning windows... Don't complain about 2hr ones :p

Lottery spawns ; ;

I am appreciative of the fact it's only a 2 hour timed spawn. Heck, even though Shikigami weapon was a 21 hour timed spawn, he was a bit of a PITA, because he's invisible. Less of a pain if you had widescan and easy when you've got his time of death too (how I managed to catch him), but still, I think we're lucky on SW:TOR in this respect. Heck, at least we don't have to do weapon trials either.

Saying that, there's no real reason to do it for Nightmare Pilgrim. The point of it in FFXI was to make certain items a lot rarer, though it was one of the frustrations with the game, but still, getting that Yinyang Robe was something to boast about afterwards and there's many other items out there like that, some a lot more ridiculous.

As far as I understood it, the timed spawns here were to stop groups of people spamming the world bosses and having the lockout stops that, so no need for the 2 hour gap, at least IMO, it just means another group could potentially just be sitting around doing bugger all until they can spawn.

Lottery spawns ; ;

I am appreciative of the fact it's only a 2 hour timed spawn. Heck, even though Shikigami weapon was a 21 hour timed spawn, he was a bit of a PITA, because he's invisible. Less of a pain if you had widescan and easy when you've got his time of death too (how I managed to catch him), but still, I think we're lucky on SW:TOR in this respect. Heck, at least we don't have to do weapon trials either.

Saying that, there's no real reason to do it for Nightmare Pilgrim. The point of it in FFXI was to make certain items a lot rarer, though it was one of the frustrations with the game, but still, getting that Yinyang Robe was something to boast about afterwards and there's many other items out there like that, some a lot more ridiculous.

As far as I understood it, the timed spawns here were to stop groups of people spamming the world bosses and having the lockout stops that, so no need for the 2 hour gap, at least IMO, it just means another group could potentially just be sitting around doing bugger all until they can spawn.

Oh God the horrors of Dragon's Aery.

FFXI was great for making you schedule your playtime around spawns instead of just doing stuff when you wanted.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have a very simple question that I'd love for a dev or member of the community team to answer:

Why did you elect to place the map object used to spawn the Nightmare Pilgrim on a 2-hour respawn timer instead of having it reappear instantly once the body vanishes?

Players already receive a 5-day debuff upon defeating the Nightmare Pilgrim that more-or-less prevents them from engaging in combat with it again for the duration. It's also (to my knowledge) the only source of campaign boots. Denova doesn't have a silly "one group at a time" restriction. Neither does any other operation or flashpoint. The additional 2-hour respawn timer in an open world area simply leads to player disappointment, guild-vs-guild/cross-faction griefing, and a hostile playerbase.

And before anyone suggests it...no, player-created schedules are NOT a viable solution. Not everyone is aware of these mythical documents, not everyone is able to re-arrange their schedules to suit the desires of other players, and some people just don't care.

Some would say the guild vs guild/cross faction greifing and high stakes that team will use up their stims for nothing is what makes NMP the most exciting and dynamic PVE content in swtor

• Dev Post
I asked Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer Jesse Sky about the respawn timer on the Nightmare Pilgrim. He said that now that server populations are more dense on our destination servers, it makes sense to reduce the respawn timer. In a future update, it will be lowered to 30 minutes, and we'll continue monitoring feedback about it!

I asked Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer Jesse Sky about the respawn timer on the Nightmare Pilgrim. He said that now that server populations are more dense on our destination servers, it makes sense to reduce the respawn timer. In a future update, it will be lowered to 30 minutes, and we'll continue monitoring feedback about it!

Sweet :) Thankyou very much for this. Better late than never I guess.

Fantastic news, this will definitely help on our server. There is a thread that was created on the Harbinger forums entitled Nightmare Pilgrim Etiquette so other guilds could attempt to 'schedule' Pilgrim raids around one another. This new/future timer sure beats trying to force a second or third instance of Voss by flooding the planet with players.

As another player said, can we get this for at least Gargath and Primal? And possibly the other WB's down to an hour.

Lol, tell me the name of your guild so I can be sure to never join it. I'd understand your sentiments about watching other people fail if it was pvp against you, and you won, but your actually taking enjoyment from watching another game player fail at something. You mention a sense of competition: Why? They had a go and didn't do it, better luck next time. You had a go and succeeded, great.