Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

What I don't understand is why they keep posting in threads with subject matter they don't like. I tend to not open a thread on things I'm not interested in, and if I do, I rarely post in that thread. Yet some of these guys can't keep away from the sgr threads. It's like an obsession, but as you pointed out, without them posting so much, the threads would disappear quicker.

I don't get that either. If I really disagree with the nature of a thread, I respectfully stay out of it. I don't wish to bump some of those threads. Plus, I might be on the extremely opposite side of their view. I have enough of a sense of etiquette to just walk away from those threads without posting.

I keep telling them, "Thanks for keeping this visible!" That's exactly what they are doing. They are helping us.

See, things had been pretty quiet up until a month ago. I figure it made it that much easier for BW:A to not deal with and shove it aside. Then we got active. Man, I didn't want it to come to this levels of drama.

Part of me is glad that it did. The whole Sith storm that has arisen out of this is directly why BW:A needs to address this.

If the answer is no, then myself and others will move on. Some will continue playing ToR, like me; while others will probably be done with the game for good.

If the answer is yes, then this thread will continue. The active anger would all but cease though there would be some left over rumbling. Like with any player base over the mishandling of the information about their content. I know SGRs are just one example.

From what I can see, it would go back to how it was most of the time when I started posting back in early March.

We used to talk about some really cool ideas for a reset; favorite companions and why we would want a SGR with them. We used to talk about how the dialogue might be different and figuring out Erickson's comment about what "companions made sense" for this. However, we can't do any of that again until we get acknowledged.

These are great folk, but not saints. I'm sure that some won't get the companion they want. I'm sure some would be puzzled and/or saddened by how they handle it. You know...how it is with every single other bit of content.

So no, threads about SGRAs will probably not stop, but the focus of them is going to be much more positive. So if one doesn't like it, they can just leave the thread alone.

Oh and the last couple of threads started in General? These were supporters that I had never seen or had only seen once in the thread. It isn't the same few people over and over again starting these threads.

We do need to bump the Did I hear this right? thread. It's our other spot outside of our special corner and we do need to take advantage of it.

Try not to feed the trolls if you can. Make one thing clear, above anything/everything else.

We just want an update. We don't even care what the bloody answer is, we just want a response. Try to ignore everything else that they try to throw out at us. Just keep repeating that we need this addressed now. Not necessarily implemented right now, but addressed for damn certain.

Wow! Okay, to the Powers That Be:

Ignoring this is making it worse by the day. Players are getting fed up with no answer as well as talking about why there is no answer. Just address the player base. Hoping it'll go away hasn't worked and now people are worked up.

By the way guys, please don't bring up RL statistics about sexuality. That made me flinch when I was reading that in yesterday's General forum. I know why it's tempting due to the "only the minority is gay," moronic excuse that is going around. Just ignore them and don't even feed them on that one. That's pretty obvious troll bait and they are only trying to make the rest of us look bad by trying to get a rise out of us.

As per Doup's request, I'm not going to start sending the letter out until Jan 1. Doup has to live with me and while he's a huge supporter, he doesn't like seeing me stressed about this too much. He took New Year's off just to spend time with me. :o

Edited by natashina

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is why they keep posting in threads with subject matter they don't like. I tend to not open a thread on things I'm not interested in, and if I do, I rarely post in that thread. Yet some of these guys can't keep away from the sgr threads. It's like an obsession, but as you pointed out, without them posting so much, the threads would disappear quicker.

It's because people keep feeding the trolls, thus giving them more space and airtime. Just stop replying to them and they'll go away. Really, it's quite tedious to go through pages and pages of troll posts to get to the ones that really contribute something of interest to the conversation.

Stop.feeding.the.trolls.

On another note, now that the new year is about to happen, I hope the cause will get more traction now.

Bioware really can't keep silent forever.

Edited by Lent_San

So you don't think things like game crashing after the end of BT or Foundry is important to fix, its been posted for a while about it, still no fix? I do because the times I do those FP it happens, it happens to my guildies as well, cant say I am not happy when it happens to our GM however. This has been an issue since 1.2 yet no fix, but hey its not important right, got ya.

How many times do people have to say that this does not take precedence over bug fixes till it will sink into your skull? Obviously since the bug hasn't been fixed and other content has come out that either A: its a tough problem B: its not high on their list or priorities anyway C: still being looked into.

The world is not black and white, bugs fixed or unfixed. MMO's are a journey, not a destination.

Also, how is simply getting and answer to the question of whether SGR's are in the game or not taking away dev time from fixing things? That's all we want, a simple answer to a simple question. Its all the detractors that come in and try to cloud the issue. You've said you don't want this in the game. Fine, thank you, move along now. You have nothing more to add.

^.^

So your contention, SithKoriander, is that story is irrelevant in SWTOR and should be abandoned?

My contention was, you say it's a Story driven MMO. The only difference I've seen in this story driven MMO and MMOs with a stroyline, is that the storyline is based on the class instead of everyone, and int he end, for a story driven MMO, everyone in the same class ends up in the same spot.

I love MMOs having a storyline. It adds to the game. But TOR's storyline isn't driven by the player anymore than anyother MMO, because all classes end up in the same place.

All SI's become part of the Dark Counsel. This doesn't change based on anything. Truthfully, with how the SI storyline starts out, I wouldn't have my SI support the Sith Empire. They hate aliens, the Empire had made her a slave, why would she support these people?

Why would she be a mindless killer (like many others play their Sith), and not try to bring balance to the force herself? It's a story driven MMO, so why wouldn't my SI do what she thought best (other than we know how canon plays out).

It's one of the reasons I thought the new SW MMO should be after RotJ. In the end, we know how the storyline ends (up to the movies/show...as the books can always be overwritten), so after RotJ actually gives you more freedom with your character. Not to mention you'd think the fanbase would like such things as owning an X-Wing, Imperial Fighter, ect ect :p

Basically, the hype over storydriven mmo, is just that, hype. It's not anymore story driven than TERA, CoH, DCUO, ect ect...everyone gets to the same place, with different cutscenes based on class. :p So saying "it's a story driven mmo and that's why they need to add it SGR" is a stretch (and I'm not even against it).

That said. Let's say they add in a companion you can have a SGR with (and I think it will happen, I just don't think it's this big omg important issue as some in this thread make it out to be)...are you telling me, this SGR will be a one size fits all?

Are you just going to have your character go with the SGR because it's a SGR? If that's the case, it's not really story driven. Is your character willing to go with a goodie two shoes? With a psychotic killer? Face it, if it's just one companion character that allows for SGR and all your characters have to have a SGR (which some people have said in this thread) then it's not about story, because all of a sudden all your characters either have to have the same taste in companions or you really aren't thinking "this is what my character would do" and thusly not caring about the story of your character in this story driven mmo.

How many times do people have to say that this does not take precedence over bug fixes till it will sink into your skull? Obviously since the bug hasn't been fixed and other content has come out that either A: its a tough problem B: its not high on their list or priorities anyway C: still being looked into.

The world is not black and white, bugs fixed or unfixed. MMO's are a journey, not a destination.

Also, how is simply getting and answer to the question of whether SGR's are in the game or not taking away dev time from fixing things? That's all we want, a simple answer to a simple question. Its all the detractors that come in and try to cloud the issue. You've said you don't want this in the game. Fine, thank you, move along now. You have nothing more to add.

^.^

If you had seen what I replied to it was the fact that the person I was responding too said the group that thinks there are more important things to fix must be part of the gay is icky crowd thus my part of the post. I was pointing out no most are not, some are and this is an example of one issue that needs to be fixed that is important and has nothing to do with not wanting SGR's but hey keep reading into it what you want. You people don't read do you, I said I wish Bw would give you a flipping answer but yet again that part is overlooked too, why am I not surprised.

So you don't think things like game crashing after the end of BT or Foundry is important to fix, its been posted for a while about it, still no fix? I do because the times I do those FP it happens, it happens to my guildies as well, cant say I am not happy when it happens to our GM however. This has been an issue since 1.2 yet no fix, but hey its not important right, got ya.

Hey look, a straw man!

Who's saying that this particular bug is less important than SGRA content?

I've never experienced the bug myself and can't really talk about it tbh.

I don't quite believe there's a choice between working on SGRA and fixing this bug either, considering they probably have a separate team for bug fixes. If this bug hasn't been fixed, it's likely due to other bugs being prioritized over it and not SGRA content.

Edited by stuffystuffs

The only time I've seen them say that all romances should be removed and/or they suck is for SGRA threads. I do a lot of lurking.

So they claim to be against any and all romance content, but they post in support for future OGR content.

Right.

Way to take a stand there. Woo hoo. :rolleyes:

Mindboggling, isn't it? :rolleyes:

^.^

Like DR said, BW is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think adding SGR will have TOR gain as many players as they lose, and likely why it's on the low priority list.

I'd like more comments from the devs, but I understand why they havent. So they come out and make a comment about SGR, that will have people saying other things like "You gave answers to this, why not give answers to this bug, this content, this and this and this."

Hey look, a straw man!

Who's saying that this particular bug is less important than SGRA content?

I've never experienced the bug myself and can't really talk about it tbh.

I don't quite believe there's a choice between working on SGRA and fixing this bug either, considering they probably have a separate team for bug fixes. If this bug hasn't been fixed, it's likely due to other bugs being prioritized over it and not SGRA content.

I havent experienced it either, but I know quite a few people who have. If it was just BT I'd say that's why it's likely low on the priority list. But I know a few who say it's all FPs.

Since it doesn't seem to happen to everyone, could be why it's a difficult bug to figure out.

Given the sheer overwhelming number of posts and views for this thread alone, I'm surprised that they haven't moved same sex relations up on the priority list. Give players what they want and you give them two reasons to stick around. First, it is new content. Second, they feel like you are listening to them, thus improving the company image with the player base.

They don't really need to look at this thread. They analyze their games and usage of content, as any profit oriented company would do. They have said before that the numbers of SGR content usage are higher than some people would imagine. That's just random info though.

Just for the sake of making things even, SGR are in order. Maybe the timeframe is simply not clear yet. Might be one reason why they haven't mentioned anything with regards to Makeb.

Edited by Lent_San

It's because people keep feeding the trolls, thus giving them more space and airtime. Just stop replying to them and they'll go away. Really, it's quite tedious to go through pages and pages of troll posts to get to the ones that really contribute something of interest to the conversation.

Stop.feeding.the.trolls.

Yeah, I'd advise just adding them to your "Ignore" list and move on.

I've started doing that and it's much better :)

I

On another note, now that the new year is about to happen, I hope the cause will get more traction now.

Bioware really can't keep silent forever.

I do still think we'll get something with the expansion and hopefully it will hit the PTS soon after the new year (so we can get confirmation on what has been added). I imagine the Makeb stuff will require lengthier testing than patches so I expect it will hit the PTS well before it's release date.

I do still think we'll get something with the expansion and hopefully it will hit the PTS soon after the new year (so we can get confirmation on what has been added). I imagine the Makeb stuff will require lengthier testing than patches so I expect it will hit the PTS well before it's release date.

Yep, I think so too.

Curious, curiouser. :D

BW can make good or make it worse with this one, and I hope for ther first. :p

Sorry. With general chat, guild chat, teaming, and the game being out for like a year now, I doesnt always occur to me it just isn't well known.

There's actually quite a lot of folks in this thread who have never been able to advance far enough into the game to really experience much of anything yet. Most of my characters are frozen around the level 12-15 range because I'm waiting on them to finish adding in all the base line content so I can play the game.

Huh and I had just said to that poster yesterday:

Many of the posters here aren't leveling at all because they don't want story spoilers.

Now I hope some posters will see how true that statement is.

Edit: Also a lot of them shut off Gen chat to avoid spoilers as well as some of the more creative trolls.

Edited by natashina

Huh and I had just said to that poster yesterday:

Now I hope some posters will see how true that statement is.

Edit: Also a lot of them shut off Gen chat to avoid spoilers as well as some of the more creative trolls.

And I apologized for it. Though I don't recall anyone saying they stopped that early. I can't imagine stopping all character progression that early, not playing at all, and still subscribing, I admit, that part baffles me (I'm also under the assumption one has to have a paid subcription to post on these forums).

As another thought, for those who aren't leveling due to wanting SGR, there's quite a few classes that you could level up without having an effect on your character.

Jedi Knight and Sith Inquisitor both start with a companion you can't court. Run with them, don't run with any of the ones you want to court, so their affection doesn't raise to high, as you don't even get the options untill your affection with them raises high enough.

And then there's the opposite sex you can use, because you have no intention of courting them either. You don't have to stop your gameplay because of this.

And if SGR turns out to be an entirely different companion, one they make specifically for SGR, you could be 50 and then run with them. And who knows, the SGR romance storyline could be a companion you meet on the new planet, and have to be level 50 for anyways.

There's actually quite a lot of folks in this thread who have never been able to advance far enough into the game to really experience much of anything yet. Most of my characters are frozen around the level 12-15 range because I'm waiting on them to finish adding in all the base line content so I can play the game.

I have half a dozen characters that are levels 10-11 and haven't even left fleet to start on DK/Coruscant yet. My SI is the only one that's gone beyond that point.

Or wait until you get Shale. Actually depending on difficulty level you can often just DPS your way through a lot of the game.

Sorry for the delayed response, but isn't Shale only available with the DLC? I wanted to make sure. I have it.

Oh and I finally found the right class/race combo for the SGR! Dalish elf rogue. They mesh really well.

So this is what I'm fighting for other than equality. Yep, completely worth it.

Between that and the quality I think is in ToR with the existing romance, I know that SGRs for this game will be completely worth it.

First of all, I've missed that option. I was so pleasantly delighted in KOTOR when I found out Juhani was a romance option (albeit, one that scared LucasArts so much that they gutted her dialogue). Sky and Silk Fox were also wonderful surprises.

Same gender here? I would suppose it depends greatly on what story you have. Right now, I have a female Consular. All your companions, save Nadia, are gents. And you don't get Nadia until you're in the middle of Act 3. Furthermore, I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet playing female because the dear girl's so sweet and naive that I'd feel like I'm taking advantage if I played a romance with her - not to mention the questionable aspect of dating your student. The only time when dating the Padawan didn't come off as creepy was F!Exile/Atton (and Atton was creepy for many more reasons).

As for same-sex romances on a male Consular? There's something about Iresso. I'm not sure I'd slash him with a male Consular. I'd actually mod Zenith or Tharan. Now, Tharan is because the guy is crazy enough to try anything twice for the sake of science, and it could lead to some comedic gold out of Holiday. Sure, she gets jealous if her Tharan is getting emotionally involved with another woman, but if it's a guy, she might just request to watch. The issue with Tharan is that he's pretty darned camp, which could play into some unfortunate implications.

That leads to Zenith. He's certainly driven, focused, would definitely more along the manly or "straight acting" gay. The romance arc with him would either be an LS Male Consular getting him to loosen up and be a bit less of a jerk - "Once this is over, I will join you on Balmorra, and we'll remake it as a paragon for other worlds to follow" or a DS Male Consular essentially saying "Once we're through, we ditch the goofballs and take the fight to the Imperials - you and me, starting with Balmorra."

All things considered, who in your party would make a good same-gender romance, and how could it play out differently from the heterosexual one?

Sorry for the delayed response, but isn't Shale only available with the DLC? I wanted to make sure. I have it.

Oh and I finally found the right class/race combo for the SGR! Dalish elf rogue. They mesh really well.

So this is what I'm fighting for other than equality. Yep, completely worth it.

Between that and the quality I think is in ToR with the existing romance, I know that SGRs for this game will be completely worth it.

Yeah, Shale's DLC - if you bought the Ultimate Edition, you're laughing.

Yeah, Shale's DLC - if you bought the Ultimate Edition, you're laughing.

Three words: Return to Ostagar.

Four more words: King Calian's Armor Set.

Yeah, I'm laughing. :p

Briefly on topic: I'd like to see if Jaesa and my SW could try to start our own female group of Light Sith hunters. Something that conveys feminism gone too far. I haven't thought about it in awhile to be honest, but that was one idea I've kicked around before.

Briefly on topic: I'd like to see if Jaesa and my SW could try to start our own female group of Light Sith hunters. Something that conveys feminism gone too far. I haven't thought about it in awhile to be honest, but that was one idea I've kicked around before.

Interesting - my various Grey characters all got double-jaded and sold out to various sides for decent Relics. I'm a bad RPer that way, I know. Managed to save a few slots, pending actual word on Grey gear and/or "full companion dialogue options" - still not sure which is proving to be more of a fool's hope, but I'm stubbornly patient..."this year".

Didn't read through whole thread so in case this migth have been mentioned before, sorry.

The trick is, same gender romance is sort of already in the game. You can marry same gender characters in your legacy tree, worked for my female sorc and female sniper.