Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Can people still post in the forums if they aren't subbed?

Well, yes & no. I have un-sub about a month ago, but my remained pre-paid subscription is not burnt out yet, so I can still post at the forum or play the game.

I believe once my time is drained out totally, I won't be able to troll here anymore. Don't worry, it won't be long last I checked. :p

P.S. But then I guess once SWTOR become F2P, anyone can troll here, open an account becoming free anway. Beware!!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that F2P brings more players to our server as we all know that Bioware will not merge our servers until after the first feed back meeting of F2P, they haven't given us our 12 character slots.

Will F2P brought tons of new player to SWTOR I do not know.

But I am 100% sure it will stop the un-sub number. As ppl do not need to un-sub anymore even they left the game forever. Like I bought GW2, played a week, then decide never to touch it again. My GW2 account is still "open" forever, as it is F2P, I do not need to cancel my account like the monthly one. For the player -- I had left. For the company annual report -- I never leave.

Smart trick to cover the crack on the wall right?

[[ P.S. I think SWTOR > GW2. Not a SWTOR hater myself, just disappointed. ]]

Edited by Superpasta

Get yourself a better ISP or replace a new boardband modem might help?

I don't live in Australia, I live in Hong Kong. My ping to Aus servers is around 160ms~180ms, my ping to US servers is around 150ms~170ms.

I can't believe you have 600ms~800ms from Aus to US, seriously?? You are talking like you live in third world with using a 28k modem.... I heard someone from Thailand still can manage with 350ms, twice as fast as yours. Hell 350ms is already very close to "unplayable". LOL, please don't fool me I don't think connection to US is that bad from Aus.

hmm....well...i live in thailand and my ping to US is around 350-400 while in APEC server it s 100-150.

but your claim of having 160-180 to US server.I find it hard to belive sir.

perhaps your ISP in Hongkong is really advance than my country.or some other reason.

anyway can you post your modem or ISP ? i really want to know what you use.

ISP: PCCW (50M boardband service plan)

Modem: the modem was given by PCCW, as I also have the boardband TV -- "NOW", their share the same modem. (btw, does the modem matter?)

My ping to US servers to WOW is always around 190ms-230ms (was around 280ms-350ms years ago).

To other MMOs like RIFT / Warhammer is around 250ms (but RIFT is a strange game with serious lag and FPS problem, I would had loved RIFT if they don't have this problem)

SWOTR is able to give me the best ping even somehow, always below 200ms to US or Aus servers, like I mentioned, I got a bit better ping to US even, kudos to them. BUT... too bad I want to have a game to play, not to wait at queue.

I do agree that we do not have the population of other servers in America and Europe, but I do not see the problem with population on Gav Daragon. I regularly see 20 or so lv50s on the rep fleet and know there are many more (at-least twice this number on other planets). So where is the problem of population the max number of players you can have in an ops group is 32 so with these numbers it would theoretically be easy to finish flashpoints/operations (I know most have not got the gear to complete hard mode but it is our job to help them get there). This does come from the view point of someone under lv50 but I do help the lv50s in my guild (chaos squad).

What you are suggesting is that if every player on the server decides to all play together they might be able to do 2 operations at the same time?

Really? Every single level 50 player on the server can only scrape together 2 operations (or 4 games of PvP in peak time) and you think that there really isn't a population problem?

The servers need to merge or free transfers need to be on offer.

Get yourself a better ISP or replace a new boardband modem might help?

I don't live in Australia, I live in Hong Kong. My ping to Aus servers is around 160ms~180ms, my ping to US servers is around 150ms~170ms.

I can't believe you have 600ms~800ms from Aus to US, seriously?? You are talking like you live in third world with using a 28k modem.... I heard someone from Thailand still can manage with 350ms, twice as fast as yours. Hell 350ms is already very close to "unplayable". LOL, please don't fool me I don't think connection to US is that bad from Aus.

Surprisingly he's not lying :p, when my parents left the UK and Germany in the mid 80s they were rolling out fiber optic then, we still haven't even got it yet. For some reason the E-infrastructure over here is really behind the times. my own internet speed is as follows: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2195817193.png

This gives me 280 ping ~ to the US servers, but roughly in early 2005 when i was playing WoW, 600 ping was very real, when the majority of Australians had lesser internet.

I currently pay $89AUD month for that internet as well, and that only puts me over 58% of Australians :p

Edit: OT, i agree, SERVER MERGE!

Edited by Beinhart
forgot to mention that i agree with the OP

/Signed

Myself and many others that can no longer post because their subs have ran out support this merger or free transfers.

The state of the apac servers are a turn off and are what is preventing most of my friends and many others from returning to the game. Waiting for f2p in the hopes of higher pop isn't an option anymore, no one is going to play on dead servers not even for FREE.

Davito <Midian> Master Dar'Nala

guys...as a fellow lv 50 from Gav Daragon.I strongly disagree with you.Pop on other planet is not even 10 or 5 (usually lower than 5) while the imp fleet never have more than 20 without peak time.PVP situlation is even worse i que from 18.00-23.00 only to play 2-3 game PVP. IT s too much i can t even save up WZ com anymore.(in case you dont know a pvp is sperate between 1-49 and 50 and since we have few 50 who actually play we even get less PVP.) and Flashpoint is dead.I rarely see anyone chat in general that they need someone for flashpont and even if i see one i still see him pose the same thing for almost an hour till he gives up.The game is unplayable for LV 50 right now for gav daragon we can t PVP we can t Flashpoint or Hm we don t have anything to play.WE need more POP by anymean necessary. AND NOW or SOON !!

but um...look at it again maybe i think you just try to wanna be an oppositon of somekind from the majority or something like that for trolling purpose..well...then NVM.

OK now I'm a supporter of the merger to improve population and appreciate the efforts of the few who have pushed hard for this subject to be a priority for game developers. But to say the game is unplayable at 50 on Gav Darragon is untrue.

Sure off peak its slim pickings out there but get to know people and start forming up stuff to do. Last week I got some ranked warzones going, a few pick up groups for a sm and hm op and thats not including my guild activities. My lockouts are often full by weeks end and getting stuff going isn't hard as the active player base know of each other. Its not all doom and gloom but it has a very dim future if populations remain low.

Waiting for f2p in the hopes of higher pop isn't an option anymore, no one is going to play on dead servers not even for FREE.

Davito <Midian> Master Dar'Nala

This...by the time f2p arrives the few that are left may well be gone. For myself, I won't even be going to another game... I'll just be going fullstop.

Surprisingly he's not lying :p, when my parents left the UK and Germany in the mid 80s they were rolling out fiber optic then, we still haven't even got it yet. For some reason the E-infrastructure over here is really behind the times. my own internet speed is as follows: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2195817193.png

This gives me 280 ping ~ to the US servers, but roughly in early 2005 when i was playing WoW, 600 ping was very real, when the majority of Australians had lesser internet.

I currently pay $89AUD month for that internet as well, and that only puts me over 58% of Australians :p

Whoa.... thanks for explanation. I feel for you guys, you have one of the highest quality of life country in the world, I would never believe Australia is having a lousy overseas internet connection until you confirmed...

Although I still want a free transfer, but then --

/signed for: 3 servers merge or x-servers queue between the 3 is still highly needed. If possible, also offer a choice for "optional" x-servers queue between, "queuing with the US servers" or "queuing within APAC only". Although ping would be bad with US, but you live with that for years and with most other MMOs anyway, an extra choice for APAC players who do not mind the ping so much would help to keep them playing/paying.

Edited by Superpasta

Putting my name to this. Rateds with a lively population was so much fun.. at the moment we are just treading water on a dead server. Give us a reason to keep playing.

Treading water indeed, well put.

I am trying to keep myself busy and interested but it is hard.

While I dont agree with everything that chippy said its obvious that we need help for these servers, Gav Daragon and Master D especially.

I believe that Bioware is waiting for F2P to come out and I understand why, simply put if they can get 1000 people in all of the Oceanic region to join or comeback to the game then the pop issue is solved and that number seems certainly plausible.

However, I am finding it very very hard to maintain interest in a game I love.

Tried GW2 and its not for me, same with TSW and frankly screw Panda's.

Solution?

Super server merge, NOW!

If super server technology had not come in then yeh sure wait for F2P as you would not want to overload your servers and have ques etc.

But now they have the Tech to cope with a hopefully large return of players onto a single Oceanic server come F2P then do it. (Though I do wonder at their contractual obligations to the server providers in Aust)

I am treading water and I do not wish to reroll (again).

So some communication from Bioware would be greatly appreciated on this issue and a merger to one Oceanic Super Server ASAP would be my ideal solution.

I love being on a PVP server but I understand its not for everyone, thats Fine I can just pvp perma flag and have my fun, population is more important.

Thanks in advance.

Some great arguments put forward for why something needs to be done.

Ward said it well, many of us are just treading water until we find out what is happening. We can only hope this decision is made in the short term before it becomes too late.

Keep the posts coming, and please keep giving examples of how it is difficult to find groups etc etc.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2196631007.png

I get bout the same speed but i pay $59/month, My ping in wow was always ~180 .. and even on the US server in SWTOR it was 190.... guess it just comes down to location.

I'm on Dalborra, population isn't dead but it has dwindled slightly I'm all for a merger get everyone onto a superserver and let the good times roll :jawa_tongue:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2196631007.png

I get bout the same speed but i pay $59/month, My ping in wow was always ~180 .. and even on the US server in SWTOR it was 190.... guess it just comes down to location.

I'm on Dalborra, population isn't dead but it has dwindled slightly I'm all for a merger get everyone onto a superserver and let the good times roll :jawa_tongue:

Perth rep :(

We had a 50 PVP game going at 10 AM. Dalborra had 3 50 PVP games going on at the same time.

Dalborra had a 50 PVP game going at 2 AM. Myself and 3 others were the only ones on the Republic fleet.

:(

(Gav Daragon -- and yes, I'm jealous.)

Edited by TrueNovaZero

+1 for server merges. It is very difficult to find a group for flashpoints nowdays, one month ago i could easily pug it. Yes the population has dropped significantly, and something must be done about it.

I hope it is not the end for the oceanic servers, because i enjoy playing with 30 ms ping instead of 180 ms )) Cya in-game

Edited by darthsasha

Additionally, we've seen your concerns about Oceanic server populations and we're going to be evaluating this in the next few days.

We're listening, and I know you've all been patient with us, and for that, I thank you. As soon as I get any update to this, I will let you know here.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the update, Joveth; knowing our concerns have been heard is very reassuring. I'm just putting in my 2c(AUS) worth; it's commendable that you want APAC players to have a choice of servers and play styles, but if the server becomes a ghost-town, then (sorry to state the bleeding obvious here) they don't have that choice.

I love, love, love the ping rate on the APAC servers. I really appreciate that you took the trouble, and I value the improved quality of having local servers over any particular play style. If merging the servers is the best way to get a healthy rate of pops for WZs and the like, it may well be a better option than letting the poor PvPers languish in an empty fleet; after all, even on Gav Daragon, I see frequent WZ pops. There's not a lot of open world PvP that isn't event based and pre-organised anyhow, so I suspect it can be made to work.