Why I stopped playing SWTOR

Ashlockheart

When the class story's ended that was when the game started going down hill. Still til this day you can do a search on the forms and see the Massive cry for story, and Companion story's. I am a fan of the game, but what made me stop playing was when there was no more class story. When I first played and got that first light saber and the epic feel they give you, I was hooked!!! They did such a great job making you feel connected to the character you were playing as.

Those were the pillars that made the game. That is were the kid part of me misses the most. If they were to go back to there roots, and focus on that rich character design and Story then you would see me return in a heart beat.

The issue I saw with the game is they were trying to find a place for everyone from pvp, star ships ,to sandbox. If they didn't try to follow every kind of player then the game would have been bigger then ever. Will they ever go back? nothing is impossible, but at the end of the day I think they will follow the money, and not what made there game so amazing to me. Its sad to see what they do so well to be thrown away in favor of money, but that's just how gaming company's work.

I always said they gave the best part of the game away to F2P players.

The Story Content (8 Class Stories) is what made this game great.

Bringing it all down to a single thread did not. Revisit those story lines and add to them and I bet things would likely turn around a bit, but still other things are needed to make a recovery.

The best story in any MMO is YOURS! Not the one that ends, all stories end...but the story YOU make after you've completed what was written. No developer could ever keep up making individual stories...heck, some can't even produce 5 Ops bosses over the course of a full year...but I digress...so I've always believed that the best story possible was the one that "I" make...not the one that gets me there.

I'm sorry to see you go...I hope you return.

They cant just focus on story, sorry. There are others that enjoy other parts of this game, and to think they should just focus on what YOU like, is a little selfish if you as me.

kotfe and kotet is what drove the game further into the depths of losing players. PERIOD. So called story people would wait a couple months, sub for 1 month, get all the expansion stories for 10 bucks then leave.

I still want to know whether I can -

- keep that Sullustan from the Smuggler story alive

- keep all defected soldiers from the trooper sto0ry alive

- keep Jaxo alive (seems to be not supposed to be the case) ...

Unfornately this would mean that II'd have to play each of these class stories through if I want to find out into what several dialog branches go ...

Heavy Spoiler example for that ( Consular story ) :

Only last month I managed for the very first time - with 4 or 5 Consulars so far - to get Rajivari or how he is named to become one with the Force ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

When the class story's ended that was when the game started going down hill. Still til this day you can do a search on the forms and see the Massive cry for story, and Companion story's. I am a fan of the game, but what made me stop playing was when there was no more class story. When I first played and got that first light saber and the epic feel they give you, I was hooked!!! They did such a great job making you feel connected to the character you were playing as.

Those were the pillars that made the game. That is were the kid part of me misses the most. If they were to go back to there roots, and focus on that rich character design and Story then you would see me return in a heart beat.

The issue I saw with the game is they were trying to find a place for everyone from pvp, star ships ,to sandbox. If they didn't try to follow every kind of player then the game would have been bigger then ever. Will they ever go back? nothing is impossible, but at the end of the day I think they will follow the money, and not what made there game so amazing to me. Its sad to see what they do so well to be thrown away in favor of money, but that's just how gaming company's work.

They answered all the calls for story. However, they did it in their typical, misguided, ham-handed manner. It got us KotFE and KotET. :t_frown:

The best story in any MMO is YOURS! Not the one that ends, all stories end...but the story YOU make after you've completed what was written. No developer could ever keep up making individual stories...heck, some can't even produce 5 Ops bosses over the course of a full year...but I digress...so I've always believed that the best story possible was the one that "I" make...not the one that gets me there.

I'm sorry to see you go...I hope you return.

The problem is that the game offers no real sandbox to play in, which means you don't really have the tools to create your own story. It is reliant on developer crafted stories because its design doesn't really make space for users to make their own.

It took them what three years to do 8 stories. Don't think they could 8 more in 6 months

Well that's a great example of poor reasoning skills if I ever saw one.

Of course it took years to create this game but clearly they created more than the stories in those years. They had to build the whole game around it and after that is done it becomes easier to add more. Not saying it's easy or cheap but then nothing much really is.

However, how much time has passed since those 8 stories came out? Yeah, 6 years now. And what have they managed since release?

RotHC...was a planetary story with two sides to it (one for each faction). Clearly there wasn't much of anything in that story that makes it more than a sidestory. When it came out the xp gain was huge per quest because it needed to fill a gap of five new levels which it barely could. Remember the original story was for 50 levels.

SoR...now here we can say the main story really continues with a new chapter that goes in a certain direction. Of course by now we're working together and the story lines are almost the same. Also an advantage is that you had two planets that you could visit and dailies to do there etc. But it was one story line for 5 levels. The xp gain there was quite low when it came out because of the prequel to SoR with the FPs. Of course people who did the prequel before SoR came out got in trouble xp wise because of it.

KotFE/ET. Arguably they put more resources into building this story but alas it was a single story for the Jedi Knight that all other classes will just need a lot of liberty on the player's imagination to make that work.

All in all the 4 expansions that came out over the last 6 years covered 20 levels of a single story, while before that they build 8 stories for 50 levels. Arguably you need to do planety story quests but they were there as well and a lot more.

So to say that Bioware didn't have enough time since release would be nonesense. Too limited resources is another point though. That's where the real issues lie, together with a chain of poor decisions on what to do with those resources. Some of it was bad luck, some of it was poor judgement.

But the original core stories still form one of the best parts of this game if not the best. And it's a shame that they haven't continued in that vain. Even if it was reduced to 4 stories (tech vs jedi, rep vs imp) it would've been much better than what they ended up doing.

That's my view on it.

You can't have just story, an MMO without PvP is not a good MMO. An MMO needs pvp, adventures, big group activites for chances at rare gear. I want them to do a whole gear overhaul. I don't like all this orange gear mod stuff. It's too weird and people are at max level using the most retarded looking gear they can find, because they can just put high level mods in anything. I hated when MMOs started implimenting stuff like transmogging and stuff. it's lazy. you could also put MORE sets of gear in the game for people to wear at high levels instead of just letting people wear any gear they want and have ridiculous looking people running around ruining the entire star wars atmosphere.

I remember before the outfit tabs just how ridiculous people looked, when you didn't have a choice. Shoulder pads that gave the 80s a run for their money. Backpacks, lunch boxes, flaps, table legs and coat hooks on chest pieces, snickers bars on boots, shower caps for hats ... It was like a "who's who of the worst dressed" ...Surely not everyone in the "Star Wars universe" has to look like a walking living room.

The outfit designer was one of the best things they did. So is the moddable gear. I can put in the stats that I want, instead of someone else deciding.

Edited by Mutiny

..... you can't even see the actual gear most toons are wearing because of the custom outfits feature, but maybe I misunderstood your point.

I don't think he understands what he means.. and probably doesn't understand that a lot of players their mods into legacy gear and then use outfit designer to display their character how they want it to appear, I know I do.. That way if I want to play more than one sage I can send gear cross legacy etc.

When the class story's ended that was when the game started going down hill. ...........

That may be part of it, but imo the bigger problem is the game was prominently PvE players, and @ 5.0 we were pushed more to PvP, then, PvP queues in solo ranked & regs are not balanced.

The end result - PvE players that assume big DPS (AOE damage especially) is all the matters vs capping, staying at guard, or not breaking CC's, or players constantly losing, left wondering if the matches aren't rigged or exploited when regs/solo ranked queues are constantly imbalanced.

Doing regs dailies has become a daily chore, angry players blaming each other without realizing they had no heals or tanks, opponents rubbing cheap wins in your face with insults...

Doing dishes, or driving in rush hour is almost enjoyable by comparison.

Edited by Markark