server set-up

nostdurell

for the u.s., i noticed looking at the server status page that you either play on eastern, or pacific time. on pacific time, i noticed that pve servers are substantially higher on the pacific time than on the eastern time. also, can palyers rotate their characters among the servers, depending on traffic volume? if not, why? i think that option makes sense. then you can get more player volume in. i also noticed that there is no mountain time. why is that? should we be palying on servers based on location based on the mississippi river? if so, that would explain the high traffic volume on the west coast vs the east coast. there's a big difference betweeen the east and west coasts in relation to the mississippi by several hundred miles. i think if there were mountain time servers, the traffic would be more even flowed broad based in the continental us. if i'm east of the mississippi, should my server be eastern, and if i'm west, it should be western? what is the best server to go on in relation to where you live?

Pick a server based on one (or both) of two things:

- Your latency. This may or may not be an issue. Sometimes there actually are server clusters on each coast - if this is the case, east coast servers are probably on the east coast, which means west coast players may experience more lag. If they're all in one cluster, however, and just assigned different time zones for player convenience, this isn't an issue.

- What time zone do you most prefer to play in. I live in Arizona, for example - if I want to be in a raiding guild that raids on certain days, at certain times, I'll want to choose a server where the raid times start most conveniently for me. East coast servers tend to peak their prime time too early for me.

Players are never going to be allowed to "rotate" around servers based on population. That completely defeats the purpose of HAVING servers in the first place. Otherwise they might as well just assign you to the emptiest one every time you log in, and you can kiss your friends list, guild, and consistency goodbye.