PvP: Why are Imps better than Pubs?

Sentinel_Locke

Many republic players rerolled to the higher population empire side to get on better ranked teams

Pretty much this. It was the same in wow. Lots of new players and younger players play on the rep side. Most of the experienced players re roll as imps because they simply win PvP matches more consistently.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On shadowlands in regular WZs there are more imps that queue for pvp, but I can't tell you the number of times you end up in a goup with 4+ in recruit gear, and many times in tionese gear. It never fails that you're grouped against a couple of different republic premades. That is until they switch back to their imperial characters.

So, most games you get creamed. Until you get lucky with team composition, and geared with mostly WH.

It's less of a crapshoot on republic side until late night. Usually the same people are queuing, mostly healers, and lolsweepers. That's all you need to win.

It's less of a crapshoot on republic side until late night. Usually the same people are queuing, mostly healers, and lolsweepers. That's all you need to win.

The last few nights that I've played PvP, Rep side, we had no more than 2 classes that can heal in a single group, though usually only one was heal spec. I think at any given time we were limited to 0-1 healers. Obviously this can be a rather irritating problem for any group. I would use my healer in PvP more often, but the truth is that I suck at heals in PvP. I'm not that great at remaining unnoticed by the other team. I usually get creamed really quickly.

But as I said in a previous post, I find myself getting really bored with PvP on the Imp side. A lot of the time, battles are just too easy. Maybe I'm simply better off withdrawing from any future PvP participation. There are just too many variables that keep it unbalanced and, often times, completely un-enjoyable.

For PvE servers I'd say that it have to do with a lot of pubs rolling troopers, foremost commandos, and sages. Two classes that at the moment dont exactly shine in PvP. As an imp I'm never ending up with three mercs but it happens all the time with commandos on the pub side. Merc is not as archetypical as commando so it's only natural that there's this imbalance.

People on PvP servers are probably more aware of the current balance issues and are rolling, atm, more powerful classes, which balances the factions in terms of wins and losses.

bla bla bla, whine fest, on Shadowlands the Pubs have a pretty big advantage, nothing but Bubble Stun Healers, smash Monkey Warriors. The root of this, at least on my original server was that early on the Pubs suffered from a major population imbalance and even greater pvper imbalance, so a large percentage of Imp pvpers rerolled to the Pub side in order to get insta-queues (at the time Imp queues could be 15-30 mins and longer outside of primetime. I imagine similar things played out on all servers, BW screwed the game up on release, by not developing cross server queues and improper server distribution, along with being too slow to consolidate or allow server transfers

First off, I "was" an avid PvP player on the Republic side. I say was because I can no longer stomach the absolutely terrible players that PvP on there (at least on the Jedi Covenant server). Players there have resigned themselves to one simple fact: If you queue solo for PvP as a Republic player, you are going to lose. It breaks my heart to admit it. To tell you how bad it is over there, let me say that I picked up my weekly PvP quest on Tuesday. By the following Monday, I had won 3/9 matches. And this is playing roughly 3-4 hours of PvP every day for that week. (You should maybe note that all 3 of the matches I won were skirmishes against other pubs).

Now, if I play my Imperial character, I can get wins and on average about 35 kills while not even wearing any PvP gear. What is up with that? (They are the mirrored classes, a Sentinel and Marauder)

Now, what I want to ask is, why? What makes the Imperials SOOO much better than the Pubs? Is it the fact that a staggering number of PvP Imps are Sorcs (tons of heals and shields there)? Is it that they actually utilize stuns in succession to keep players down? Possibly all of the AoE's they drop on top of mission objectives to keep players from accessing them?

Feel free to toss your two cents in. Perhaps even make some of the Pubs wake up to how awful things are.

Take a step back and look at it objectively. You are playing with a group of people who would rather come to the forums and whine about how a premade ruined their pvp. Your people give up before the match even starts.

The thing is, premades are just the current tangible excuse. Take the good players out of a premade team, and they will still do well as solo queue. There have been some noteworthy players I have ended up pugging with who ended up being game changers. And that is every time I am teamed with them.

Long story short, premades are not ruining the warzones; your own people are. Because they would rather sit and make excuses for why they lose, than take a look at themselves and realize that they are the real issue. They have poor attitudes, poor skills, poor sportsmanship, and probably poor IQ too. They are the product of the Victim Mentality that is so rampant in society today.

My recommendation is to save room on your /ignore list for the worst of the bunch. Supposedly this ensures you will never get pugged with them.

First off, I "was" an avid PvP player on the Republic side. I say was because I can no longer stomach the absolutely terrible players that PvP on there (at least on the Jedi Covenant server). Players there have resigned themselves to one simple fact: If you queue solo for PvP as a Republic player, you are going to lose. It breaks my heart to admit it. To tell you how bad it is over there, let me say that I picked up my weekly PvP quest on Tuesday. By the following Monday, I had won 3/9 matches. And this is playing roughly 3-4 hours of PvP every day for that week. (You should maybe note that all 3 of the matches I won were skirmishes against other pubs).

Now, if I play my Imperial character, I can get wins and on average about 35 kills while not even wearing any PvP gear. What is up with that? (They are the mirrored classes, a Sentinel and Marauder)

Now, what I want to ask is, why? What makes the Imperials SOOO much better than the Pubs? Is it the fact that a staggering number of PvP Imps are Sorcs (tons of heals and shields there)? Is it that they actually utilize stuns in succession to keep players down? Possibly all of the AoE's they drop on top of mission objectives to keep players from accessing them?

Feel free to toss your two cents in. Perhaps even make some of the Pubs wake up to how awful things are.

Population. Imps on most servers outnumber the republic.

I'm not going to say anything unique here, just the same things that other people have observed.

1. The developers were afraid that too many people would want to be Luke Skywalkers and Han Solos, so they took extra care to make the Imperial side enticing. Cooler looking armor, ships, fleets, ability animations don't necessarily impact performance but they all reek of "I am so awesome" that many people find it hard to resist. (The Valiant is the first really good looking Jedi armor set and it only came out after a whole year.)

The developers successfully overshot the goal. They wanted enough people to roll Empire but they made that faction so appealing that many many more people chose Empire that they originally indended or anticipated. Thereby the game launched with a massive population bias towards the Empire that is still present on some servers.

2. It is stereotypical but probably true, many people who prefer PvE more often exhibit "good" behavior (morally good choices), whereas many people who prefer PvP (or only PvP) tend to select evil options, when presented with a choice. Also, these people tend to be PvP veterans from other MMOs, so they have plenty of experience and insight into how to play classes successfully. They also have a knack for picking the classes with the strongest potential. (Though truth be told the really hardcore PvP'ers I knew have all left to play GW2 and never returned.)

3. Put the two together and you have a faction that has an advantage in both player numbers and player experience. People on the opposite faction get tired of losing all the time, and reroll, which further compounds the faction imbalance issue.

I'm told our server (The Progenitor) is quite balanced population wise and it's probably true as both fleets tend to have between 150-250 people at peak hours. The reason why Imperials win more often is that they tend to have more PvP guilds, more healers and generally only powerful classes. Whereas I'm often teamed with 2 or 3 Commandos on the Rep side (my main is a Commando, so shame on me too....), on the Imp side all I'm seeing are Maras, Rage Juggs, Pyro PTs and Deception Assassins for DPS, so overall class variety is a lot smaller than on the Rep side.

When Pugging on the Rep side I usually have a 25%-75% win-loss ratio but most losses occur due to the lack of healers on our team. Win ration while pugging on the Imp side is usually around 50%-50% because they field so many premades that I have a big chance of having one on my team.

Regardless of which faction I'm playing, the opposition 9 out of 10 times is an Imp team. Which is rather annoying, when I'm playing the 15th Imp vs Imp match in a row on my Sniper, I usually switch over to the Republic, just because it feels better to actually fight the opposing faction, even if it means I'm more likely to lose.

The really funny thing is that my Sniper killed 32 thousand enemies and I'm betting that at least 30 thousand of those were Imperial kills. Alderaan Civil War should be renamed Imperial Civil War.

Red Eclipse has more republic pvp guilds, but empire can hold its own in many games. Also i am seeing less and less 14000 hp people on empire side. Still too many inquisitors though.

Personally i dont like at all republic animations. They are all terrible, troopes being particularly unbearable, i hate all their pulse animations. Also a sniper feels like a sniper, gunslinger had never been appealing to me.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Red Eclipse has more republic pvp guilds, but empire can hold its own in many games. Also i am seeing less and less 14000 hp people on empire side. Still too many inquisitors though.

Personally i dont like at all republic animations. They are all terrible, troopes being particularly unbearable, i hate all their pulse animations. Also a sniper feels like a sniper, gunslinger had never been appealing to me.

dirty kick ftw /thread

On Shadowlands republic always have 2 scoundrels healers and 3+ smashers/sweep.

Yeah, there are a couple guilds who seem to dominate PvP on the Pub side by rocking the FOTM. It seems there are also less random/non-premade pup groups during EST prime time. You end up running up against the same 3-4 pub premades over and over.

I can't post screenshots of my data right now, but I started tracking my Warzone progress on a couple of lowbie toons and have 235 matches in my sample. I have a level 32 Juggernaut (136 matches) and a level 27 Shadow (99 matches). The win/loss information for each is as follows:

Juggernaut (Win / Loss)

- Total: 97 / 39 - 71.32%

- Solo Queue: 70 / 31 - 69.31%

- Group Queue: 27 / 8 - 77.14%

Shadow (Win / Loss)

- Total: 78 / 21 - 78.79%

- Solo Queue: 25 / 10 - 71.43%

- Group Queue: 53 / 11 - 82.81%

My aggregate Win / Loss is 74.47%. All that being said, I understand there is a difference between lowbie and level 50 pvp and I haven't bothered tracking any of my 50 PvP because I want to use the same characters which I use for tracking at the moment. Thus, interpret as you see fit, but it's more about how you contribute to your team's overall performance than the faction balance, at least in my opinion.

It's attitude. Republic players are pacifist and more likely to camp out when loss becomes inevitable. Imperials are more willing to suicide charge when loss becomes inevitable.

That attitude colors the whole engagement. When I try to rally people to a new tactic or regroup if we're disorganized the words I hear most on the Republic is "Why Bother?" Imperial side its usually just "On my way".

Even getting slammed by a premade, on the Imp side its easy to get get an abused team to charge in with a final "What the hell!" attack. And usually rack up more medals in those last 2 minutes than we'd get defending our single turret feeling sorry for ourselves.

It's attitude. Republic players are pacifist and more likely to camp out when loss becomes inevitable. Imperials are more willing to suicide charge when loss becomes inevitable.

That attitude colors the whole engagement. When I try to rally people to a new tactic or regroup if we're disorganized the words I hear most on the Republic is "Why Bother?" Imperial side its usually just "On my way".

Even getting slammed by a premade, on the Imp side its easy to get get an abused team to charge in with a final "What the hell!" attack. And usually rack up more medals in those last 2 minutes than we'd get defending our single turret feeling sorry for ourselves.

Please, suicide charge is the dumbest thing you can do in PvP unless they are all turret camping with a minute left and you can storm/aoe attack. Even then it's still dumb.

Please, suicide charge is the dumbest thing you can do in PvP unless they are all turret camping with a minute left and you can storm/aoe attack. Even then it's still dumb.

True but if your team is already going to lose, like it's 200:50 on the civil war, then what's the fun in just camping, If you can rally 6-7 people in your team to do a suicide run on your opponents weak side, then it becomes a bit more fun, I don't know about you, but I pvp to have fun, and giving up just isn't fun imo, I find throwing myself into a death trap with the rest of my team much more fun. Also, often times in an obvious losing civil war and I see people camping, my MVP vote goes to the person that died the most because that usually means that they didn't give up, even though they knew that they were going to die.

^^Exactly.

I don't suicide at the end to win or for points, I do it because I don't want to hang out with a bunch of quitters patting each other on the back for quitting so early.

I don't care if I lose if the last 2 minutes of battle was a huge 6-7 vs 6-7 battle Royale. At least it was fun.

If you're going to give up just do that from the beginning, all 8 of you take one turret and sit there congratulating each other on the 4-5 defensive comms you'll get.

Bragging about how many medals you got for hiding from the fight doesn't make you a good player.