Mako, Torian, and too much affection for the former.

Rhinzual

So, like I stated in that Torian the Terminator thread, I'm not even at Taris or even Dromund Kas' second visit a la Act 2 on my Powertech and am sitting on 9060 affection with Mako, not knowing that having more affection with her than Torian (who I don't even have yet) could lock me out of the romance. Now, she grew on me as a character and all and I do not see myself liking Torian in the slightest and since we simply can't kill unwanted companions off for good, I must ask, am I screwed?

If not, then do I just level my Underworld Trading alt up enough to then stuff Torian's face with Rank 6 Companion Gifts, or do I just reroll my whole character? Of course, after reading how Mercs with Concussive Missile have it way easier than Powertechs against those two guards, the idea to reroll in already in my mind.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, like I stated in that Torian the Terminator thread, I'm not even at Taris or even Dromund Kas' second visit a la Act 2 on my Powertech and am sitting on 9060 affection with Mako, not knowing that having more affection with her than Torian (who I don't even have yet) could lock me out of the romance. Now, she grew on me as a character and all and I do not see myself liking Torian in the slightest and since we simply can't kill unwanted companions off for good, I must ask, am I screwed?

If not, then do I just level my Underworld Trading alt up enough to then stuff Torian's face with Rank 6 Companion Gifts, or do I just reroll my whole character? Of course, after reading how Mercs with Concussive Missile have it way easier than Powertechs against those two guards, the idea to reroll in already in my mind.

I have good news for you. You don't need to reroll your character to romance Mako; you're on the right track.

The circumstance you were told about doesn't happen based on having certain levels of affection with one companion or another. It only happens if you are not yet in a romance and even then, you have the ultimate choice over encouraging the situation or saying "no, mine!"

Hope that takes a load off your mind. :)

Not sure I understand, but is your bounty hunter a male of female? You can only romance Torian with a female and Mako with a male. There is no way to romance both or have one conflict with the other as far as I know.

this. you need to elaborate.

Also, Torian and Mako's tryst will eventually implode. They don't stay together.

Are you talking Mako + Torian romance arc?

Edited by Sasheria

Not sure if it's what the OP is getting at, but what I'm curious about is:

What conditions lead to Mako and Torian's romance arc? Does it happen regardless of the BH's gender? Is it based, as I've seen described, on Mako's and Torian's relative affection levels? And does it have any impact on your character's ability to romance one or the other of them? (This last, I think, is what OP is concerned about.)

Playing a fem BH, I'm planning to romance Torian, but Mako's affection will certainly be higher than his when I first get him as a companion. Should I be concerned? Should I sit Mako down for a talk, gift-spam Torian, let them have their chance, or what? (Wait, do I really want to be a rebound? :p )

Edited by Jenovan

What conditions lead to Mako and Torian's romance arc? Does it happen regardless of the BH's gender? Is it based, as I've seen described, on Mako's and Torian's relative affection levels? And does it have any impact on your character's ability to romance one or the other of them? (This last, I think, is what OP is concerned about.)

Playing a fem BH, I'm planning to romance Torian, but Mako's affection will certainly be higher than his when I first get him as a companion. Should I be concerned? Should I sit Mako down for a talk, gift-spam Torian, let them have their chance, or what? (Wait, do I really want to be a rebound? :p )

I only got BH to the end of chapter 2 in beta, so this may have changed, but when talking w/ Mako (after aquiring torian) she'll kind of "test the waters" to see if your BH is interested in Torian or not. I think at that point you can tell her to back off, or give her the green light to pursue a relationship w/ him.

The problem is I've been told that if you're male and want Mako, you need higher affection with Torian to stop it from happening, and if you're female, higher with mako than Torian.

However, I'm into Act 2 and already got all the conversations done with her because I was sitting just under 9k affection with her prior to Act 2 and since I blew through all of them in one ship visit, I don't know if I locked myself out or not. However, as I stated, I don't have Torian yet, so whether that is a factor or not, I don't know.

TL;DR- Is it Act 2 or Act 3 where one of them will play homewrecker is what I'm asking? If it's Act 2, I'm probably hosed, but if it's Act 3, then I can just opt out of using Mako in conversations entirely until much later.

One final tidbit, is it just me, or does no other class have to deal with homewrecking companions?

I have Less than 200 torian affection and 10000 mako. I went through the entire mako romance arc and she never expressed any interest in torian. I don't see how torian affection has anything to do with the mako romance.

Agreed. I had 9000+ affection with her before I ever got Torian and I was able to complete the romance option no problem. I have 10,000 with her now and I just married her without any issues with Torian. I think the Mako+Torian tryst only happens if you decide to avoid romancing Mako and allow Torian's affection to advance past hers. Otherwise, romancing Mako should be no problem.

My experience at least. Could be wrong.

I totally get it now. I am sorry that I can't answer your question, as Mako and I are just friends but there has also been no noticible romance btwn Mako and Torian.

I am glad others are smarter, or at least more intuitive than me. :)

Hopefully you have some good answers and good luck!

Agreed. I had 9000+ affection with her before I ever got Torian and I was able to complete the romance option no problem. I have 10,000 with her now and I just married her without any issues with Torian. I think the Mako+Torian tryst only happens if you decide to avoid romancing Mako and allow Torian's affection to advance past hers. Otherwise, romancing Mako should be no problem.

My experience at least. Could be wrong.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's just with what I've read on other boards and lack of documentation on the sites like swtor-spy, I can't always tell what's what.

I'm playing as a female, and didn't want the whole Mako gaining intrest in Torian thing to work out (one of my best friends at the time cheated with my boyfriend, don't ever want that to happen again). Here's what I did:

When I found out I was getting Torian, I googled what presents he liked. I bought roughly 20k's worth before I got him, and about 30k afterward. It got him about 20 points higher than hers was. I then used Mako for the fights, and Torian for cutscenes, just for the extra bonus. After Act II, w got married within 5 minuets.

I'm curious why they would break up, though!

I hear it fails regardless of if you influence it or not (never had to, married him). He tells you that his type are Mando girls. Maybe that's it? You become the Mando, not Mako?

Edited by Kikilicious

I'm playing as a female, and didn't want the whole Mako gaining intrest in Torian thing to work out (one of my best friends at the time cheated with my boyfriend, don't ever want that to happen again). Here's what I did:

When I found out I was getting Torian, I googled what presents he liked. I bought roughly 20k's worth before I got him, and about 30k afterward. It got him about 20 points higher than hers was. I then used Mako for the fights, and Torian for cutscenes, just for the extra bonus. After Act II, w got married within 5 minuets.

I hear it fails regardless of if you influence it or not (never had to, married him). He tells you that his type are Mando girls. Maybe that's it? You become the Mando, not Mako?

So once Act III rolls around, I should be in the clear?

This happens? When? I have completed my class story, have Mako at 10,000 affection and Torian at around 5000 and the last time their relationship was even mentioned was when

Torian was kidnapped and I reunited Mako with her boyfriend.

Edited by Progath

My BH is female, too, and I really wanted Mako+Torian to get together and even started encouraging her, but upon learning that if you followed that route their relationship would eventually fail anyway, I decided to take Torian for myself. Never since then did Mako even mention or hint at her own feelings, I had already expected her being jealous after all. Really weird.

Hmm, a variety of experiences here! An attempt to summarize: what triggers the Torian/Mako relationship, and what ends it?

Male BH:

Theory: If Torian's affection is higher than Mako's, they may end up together.

Note that this is counter to what the OP was worried about -- but the post he was getting info from was from a female BH's perspective, and I would expect the situation to be reversed for a male.

This kinda makes sense, because system-wise, it seems that you're not interested in pursuing Mako.

Other factors:

- It would seem odd to me if you already have initiated a romance with Mako for her to suddenly get interested in Torian, or for Torian to be tactless enough to try to cut in. Perhaps it only happens if you haven't activated the actual romance with Mako?

Female BH:

Theory: If Mako's affection is higher than Torian's, they may end up together.

Again, to the system, it might seem that you are not interested in Torian.

Other factors:

- Apparently Mako will "test the waters" with the fem BH to get an all-clear, which seems fair. Would be interested in knowing if Torian does the same for a male BH.

- Mako doesn't seem to express jealousy? (Maybe from a character standpoint, she realizes the fem BH and Torian suit each other better. Just a thought!)

Mako and Torian:

They may break up after a while.

What might lead to this? It sounds like it doesn't always occur. Is there a trigger for it (affection levels, conversations, etc)?

Other factors:

- Torian may tell a (female?) BH that he likes Mando women, and Mako is no Mando. Maybe they're just incompatible in the long run.

- Given that, what does Torian make of a non-Mando fem BH in a romance, I wonder?

(Ah, flashbacks to deciphering companion behavior in Dragon Age...)

I recently got Torian and then got the cutscene where Mako says she likes him and asks my opinion, I told her "Don't date people you work with, it's a bad idea." and she said, "Yeah you're right. I should know better.. I mean I do know better." and that was the end of that cutscene. I'm only level 36, so I don't know what will happen from here.

So hopefully, Torian will be mine all mine!! Muahahaha!

LOL - Talk about buying yourself some LUV! :D

My female Merc is 41 and leveling almost exclusively with Mako. Will let her and Torian sort it out themselves - Mako's affection is much higher than his, of course. It'll be interesting to see how their relationship develops, and how it survives (or not) the test of time...

I have Less than 200 torian affection and 10000 mako. I went through the entire mako romance arc and she never expressed any interest in torian. I don't see how torian affection has anything to do with the mako romance.

I did this also and had no issues either.

I recently got Torian and then got the cutscene where Mako says she likes him and asks my opinion, I told her "Don't date people you work with, it's a bad idea." and she said, "Yeah you're right. I should know better.. I mean I do know better." and that was the end of that cutscene. I'm only level 36, so I don't know what will happen from here.

So hopefully, Torian will be mine all mine!! Muahahaha!

HAHA

"Don't date people you work with...but I'll be damned if I'm gonna take that advice!"