Lucas-Jar Jar, genius?

Nyo-Than

Finally someone who gets it. Jar-Jar was a character for the kids in the audience, just like C3PO, R2D2 and Ewokes were in the original trilogy.

As adults all those characters are sort of stupid but as kids we loved them. The only reason so many people love Ewokes but hate on Jar-Jar is because most SW fans were kids when they saw the OT and adults when they saw the prequels. If they'd been kids when they'd seen the prequels or if Jar-Jar had been in the OT he'd be getting just as much love today as those other characters get.

31 here, poop is still funny to me!

well poop as comedy is timeless... I'm sure in 1 million years, when the very last human being is lying on his death bed, knowing when he dies so does our species and legacy of existence... he will fart... and then giggle about it

Edited by Liquidacid

This. Look to films like The Incredibles and Up for examples of films aimed at kids that adults can also enjoy.

Give me a break, they also have more meaningful heart felt relationships than almost any Star Wars character, and they are nothing but animated pixels.

Sad thought.

if you know the how i met your mother episode, jar jar is like the ewok meter where you can determine their age based on which side of the fence opinion falls.

I watched that episode last night and was thinking of bringing it up in my post. I think it does a really good job summing up how people react to different elements of SW depending on whether they first watch it as a kid or an adult.

I never had a problem with Jar Jar... I mean in a galaxy with over 20 million sapient species odds are that at least one of them will be retardedly stupid and annoying.... hell if you gather a group of just 20 individuals odds are at least one will be mindbogglingly annoying so I'm surprised there aren't a lot more of them in SW

The universe holds many things, even everything and anything people can imagine and beyond that :).

As an original Star Wars kid I detested all that was Jar Jar, but I brought my 9 year old to see Ep 1 3D this weekend and he laughed every time Jar Jar did something and said he really enjoyed the movie and couldn't wait for Ep 2 3D to come out. Lucas = Genius

Yeah but you didn't like IV, V, and VI because every time Darth Vader showed up he slipped on a banana peel. Of course Lucas = Genius if the point was to broaden the demographic at the expense of respecting the story millions already loved as it was.

As an original Star Wars kid I detested all that was Jar Jar, but I brought my 9 year old to see Ep 1 3D this weekend and he laughed every time Jar Jar did something and said he really enjoyed the movie and couldn't wait for Ep 2 3D to come out. Lucas = Genius

My 7 year old and 5 year old went nuts over Jar Jar. Said he was their favorite character in Phantom Menace. And I had to admit, that after time and age, the movie isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Agree with the OP, Lucas was right in the first place. But then those billions in the bank probably told him that better than any of us could. ;)

Literally, every kid I know loved Jar Jar. Sometimes I actually feel a little guilty that my generation railed against him so badly, because it caused Lucas to all but remove him from episodes 2 and 3, thereby removing a character the kids really loved.

Sometimes I wish we (the older fans that grew up on the OT) would have just kept our mouths shut and let Lucas make the prequels without the constant barrage of hate. I wonder what those movies would have been like.

And yes, I'm chastising myself here. I was just as guilty about griping as anyone, but at the end of the day, the prequels - while certainly not perfect - were fun movies that contributed to the Star Wars universe in some cool ways.

I was 12 when Ep 1 came out and I've hated Jar Jar for every second that I've had to endure his stupid gungan face.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." - Qui Gon

I feel like Lucas was trying to create another Chewbacca sidekick. But one of the great things about Chewie was that he was clever, and funny and had emotions without having to talk. We just knew what he meant.

Edited by TheCoug

I get the part that when we were smaller c3po and r2d2 were cool for us but... I hated the stupid ewoks with a passion just like I did with Jar Jar :p

Yes I said it! Ewoks are as worse as Jar Jar! guess every timeline needed annoying kiddie things :D

I too liked Jar Jar. There was nothing wrong with his character. I saw Ep 1 a dozen or so times at the theater and I can remember everyone laughing and cheering in all the right moments. I've told everyone time and time again that people liked Jar Jar when the movie came out. What turned people against Jar Jar had nothing to do with the movie but the fact that people seemed to like him so much that they went around imitating him and everyone got sick of that. Mesa gonna die. That's why people don't like Jar Jar.

The movie was made for a younger audience just like the original three. Yes all films had adult subjects but come on, wooies, jawas and ewoks. These were for the kiddies.

I get the part that when we were smaller c3po and r2d2 were cool for us but... I hated the stupid ewoks with a passion just like I did with Jar Jar :p

Yes I said it! Ewoks are as worse as Jar Jar! guess every timeline needed annoying kiddie things :D

I gotta be honest. I love Ewoks. Once again, I feel like Jar Jar is so much more annoying because he speaks Basic.