The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Index is up to date and YAY, 4 new authors added!! For those new to the thread (and even those that aren't), please, please, please let me know if there are any mistakes. If there is, just send me a message and I'll fix it as soon as I can. The links for the different sections of the Index can be found in my signature.

Comments/Replies: sorry, they're quickies.....kids off school today and with the extreme cold, they're stuck inside with me and already getting bored! :eek:

@Yoshi: LOL, that day on the beach took a wild turn......nicely done!

@Mirdthestrill: welcome to the thread! I absolutely loved that format and I feel for both girls. My best friend in elementary school moved away at the start of Junior High and sadly, we eventually grew apart. You did a wonderful job getting their feelings across as well as the attitude of teenage girls. Cute, dangerous boys are the downfall of many teenage girls......

@septemberphoenix: another one to welcome to the thread! That was such an emotional AU for the JC and crew and I agree with Bright, loved how you tied things in with the Jedi Code.

@alaurin, the crew’s predicament…too funny! I also really liked Balkar’s observation of Mallay’s hair. I know she considers it a point of pride in an otherwise weak self-image. It’s no surprise to find that other people notice it, too.

I had to give that poor girl something to be proud of and I figured Balkar would definitely notice. As for the predicament with drugged Bella, Jorgan, and Dorne, it's not over yet.....:eek:

@Caernos: Welcome back and WooHoo, I've been waiting to see what happens with Lord Morokei and Delia. I can't imagine what a culture shock that must be for her! I like William and how he's not afraid to tell his Lord what needs to be heard. I'm glad Delia has him looking out for her! Then I had to read that next part a couple of times, recalling their earlier shenanigans, I couldn't stop laughing!

@LaxKnight: another new author.....welcome!! I like Bill's way to deal with people. His questioning of the smaller man as a merc was priceless! I just had to laugh at him trying to get Gloria Tevens to relax and act like a civ.

@icecreampants: welcome back to you as well! I like your Agent's banter with Temple and what a tense ending.....now I'm going to be on pins and needles wondering who was shot!!!

@TrystanLaryssa: Welcome to the thread!! I really love how you alternated between the two characters and you gave a very nice insight to them, especially Caylenn's uncertainty about the Jedi, the Code, and their future with the Republic. Nicely done!

@frauzet: Ok, I was giggling by the end of that story and thisHe turned and she tossed an injector in his direction.

He caught it. “What’s this?”

“I call it ‘Anti-the-Worst-You-Do-not-Want-to-Catch’. Might be better if you took it, Casanova.” She raised an eyebrow before she turned smirking to her datapad.

was priceless!!

@alaurin: That was fun! One of these days I really will start a female trooper, and then I will blame you. Jorgan and soft fur, I won't comment further... ;)

geez, I get blamed for everything....DSM making up song lyrics, making people like Jorgan (yes.....the plan is working) *queue diabolical laughter* I'm glad you liked it and there will be more on the soft fur in the Morning After part!

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone, but if I did......I totally blame the fact that I am freezing my friggin butt off and the kids are driving me bonkers wanting to go outside and play in the snow but can't because it's not safe with our temperatures!! Oh, yeah and I just got the email that school's been cancelled tomorrow as well because with the wind chill, it's going to feel like it's in the range of -30°F to -45°F! No wonder my muse took off......she's probably on a warm beach somewhere......

Whoa, look at all the new folks! Welcome, Mirdthestrill, septembersphinx, LaxKnight and TrystanLaryssa. And it’s good to have Caernos and icecreampants back, too. And now, comments for one and all. :D

@DSM, Oh how I’ve missed Fenn’rys. Gotta love the unlikely alliances forged from crazy Czerka zombies trying to kill you. ;)

@Yoshi, Blowing off steam after winning the big battle. If there were any reason to celebrate, that would be it.

@alaurin, Ooh, that is a recipe for disaster!

Aric was sad…..the shiny thing was no longer alive with color. He kept watching it, hoping its sparkling life would come back, but it didn’t. Then when Mallay ducked down to get something out of her bag, it caught a light from overhead and for a brief second, the hint of a sparkle came from it. Aric realized what he needed to do to save it and as soon as she stood back up, he quickly plucked it from her hair.

This whole paragraph had me laughing so hard, just imaging Jorgan all enthralled with the shiny objects. :D

@Mirdthestrill, Love the format with the back and forth messages. I think the others memtioned it already, but the little details like the noncapitalized sentences worked well in making it feel like two different people. And I think the letters also worked nicely in showing Ketturah’s gradual change as time goes on.

@septembersphinx,

In the end, she sends them all away. All, that is, but Qyzen. It is Qyzen who restrains the man she loves. It is Qyzen who witnesses their last kiss. It is Qyzen who stays silent as she grants Felix Iresso the only release there is left to give him.

This is heartbreaking, and so good. I really enjoyed it!

@Caernos, Glad you continued Delia’s story. I’d imagine that kind of change would be jarring to her, and you really get a sense of how lonely and shellshocked she is by it all. And in the second, talk about bad luck! That wouldn’t be an easy one to get out of.

@LaxKnight, Good First Impressions story! I liked what this is setting up, especially with the big, dangerous job and that mysterious employer. Looking forward to seeing how the group works together.

@icecreampants, Nice banter between Delgrin and Temple. And I really want to know how things went wrong!

@TrystanLaryssa, I like the format you used for this. Very smooth flow. And very cool to approach the endeavor from different sides.

@Marissalf- Apologies to the stories I skipped on the way back, but I have just recently developed a keen interest in Quinn's story... I like how you've captured his character in the situation he's in. I could hear his voice delivering the lines quite clearly... nicely done. What absolutely made me have to comment, though, is uncanny similarity... My IA is also in concept Quinn's daughter! Though I initially have focused on my Sorcerer and Sage, there will doubtless be many upcoming Quinn references. But yes, I find that a completely believable choice and it was interesting to see how Quinn reacted to the decision, because that was something I'd been debating myself.

Thanks! I liked the idea of exploring what Quinn might be like as a father, especially of teenage girls, and seeing how that could change him just a bit. There must be something about him that drives his girls to Imperial Intelligence! I’ll look forward to seeing your IA.

@frauzet. Adding Kaliyo to Thorn’s story makes sense. With her position, of course you’d run into her at some point. I’d have liked to see that in-game as well. As it is, it’s almost like you’re dealing with two different Nem’ros!

He would have liked to take a shower to wash away the blood, and a drink to wash away the foul taste the last job had left behind, but that would have to wait until after his meeting with Nem’ro.

I like what this sentence suggests, that it would take more than a shower to wash away what he’d done for the Hutt.

I meant to pick up Mel's story or maybe dig into Kinka's younger years a bit more this time around, but Rissia got stuck in my head and refused to leave until I wrote something. So, here we go. For index purposes, I would put this one right before Family for Rissia.

NotLP: Worst Day Ever

Title: Empty

Spoilers: Alludes to the big SW thing in Act III just briefly.

About 500~ words

Someone actually came to Rissia’s office in the citadel the afternoon that it happened. The glow of daylight had just slipped away, obscured by thick jungle that choked the horizon and a persistent layer of cloud cover that refused to ever take a day off. Outside in the lobby, a courier panted and wheezed as he waited for clearance to enter the dark, sterile labyrinth of offices that housed the members of the Dark Council.

Rissia had ignored the holocall before. Saw it was from Quinn’s office and decided she didn’t have time for him at that moment. Call declined and promptly forgotten. It was nothing that couldn’t wait until they were home. Minutes later the caller came in person, red-faced and wiping his brow. Trying not to choke on the fear that swirled around him thick as a Quesh sludge pool. He babbled the information and fled the Sith’s presence, gasping for air that had somehow been sucked out of the room.

Inside Rissia stood motionless and unblinking at the window. After a moment she remembered to breathe. Remembered to unclench her fist. She toyed with the small gold band on her left hand. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.

Malavai Quinn was dead.

It happened suddenly, the courier had told her. After the early afternoon briefing, the general collapsed, turned white and that was the end. No goodbyes. No last wishes. No final melodramatic speeches wherein he contemplated his misbegotten dreams and smoking droid-shaped failures. Somehow he’d be most disappointed in that, Rissia decided.

Empty. That’s the only word she could think of to describe what she felt at the news. No joy, no relief, no sadness. Just a hollow nothingness that was somehow heavy. She kept tasting different emotions through the Force — alternating bitter and sweet, but mostly bitter — before realizing that both came from within.

She set about writing to her girls. Vekkz would come in from Hoth in a week. Maybe stay a day or two after the memorial. Void only knew where Kinka was or if she would come. Sometimes it hardly seemed worth it to try. Maker knew she’d let her finger hover over the holorecorder only to wearily walk away on more than one occasion. But this time she pushed the button and sent the message before shutting out the lights and sinking back into the high-backed desk chair.

It wasn’t supposed to feel like this. How many times had she imagined plunging a saber into his chest? It must have been dozens over the years. Causing her husband’s demise had been a recurring dream. To watch him take one last gasping breath as the light died out of his eyes would offer exquisite satisfaction. During her darkest times, Rissia took comfort in knowing she could take his life from him whenever she wanted. Somehow she’d never gotten around to it. But now it was too late.

She rubbed the little golden band, unbearably heavy on her finger. Too late for anything.

Malavai Quinn was dead.

Marissalf: There's still such a numbness there, as though part of it is just news. The latest riot or conquest, happening very far away. Should Rissia call with the news or not bother? Even in the end, I don't think it's set in with finality.

Prompt: Synchronicity

Two stories here, no spoilers in either one.

Character: Jurial (Jedi Sage)

Title: Unpleasant Realizations

Chronologically, this story fits before Epiphany.

"... Her eyes are red embers, holding secrets in their depths. Hair dark as deepest space surrounds her face, the galactic cascade a narrow white lock falling from her temple. Her warm skin reflects the orange and red flickering of the dying fire. Constellations of freckles decorate her face, her shoulders, her back. Sprinkled by her creator-deity. I will count them this night. Tomorrow she will be gone like mist under a bright sun, but tonight's pleasure is all that matters now. The dance of life universal. A better memory than the day's death...

I blush as Avamarivash recounts having s*x with this woman. A freckled Mirialan woman with a circle tattooed on her hip and a line of triangles down the back of one leg. He believes he will never see her again. He does not even mention her name. I wonder if he knows it. I am no longer shocked. The archive described Avamarivash as a lover of many women. Perhaps I am more aware this time because his partner is my same species. With his language, always exquisite, I cannot help but picture her. And think very un-Jedi thoughts about her.

His chronicle is unlike any other I have read. No other Jedi embodied the philosophy of the Living Force the way Avamarivash did. He truly lived in the moment. All his focus on the now, letting the Force move him, move through him, directing his thoughts and actions, everything he did.

I should not judge. The centuries are far removed. Modern Jedi frown on physical relationships. Modern Jedi likewise frown on attachment. Attachment to possessions, to life, to another being. We frown on love. It is clear from Avamarivash's record he did not love this woman. It is also clear--though, of course, I have no opposing views to contradict his--that he was an accomplished and considerate lover. And that he was content with no permanent companion.

Passion, yet serenity.

A dark thought occurs to me. That Avamarivash’s exercise of his passions, in the complete absence of love, would not violate the modern order’s ban on attachment. Might, in fact, be more acceptable than the love within a family, between soul mates. One is far more easily set aside than the other. I do not like this idea. It feels wrong, but it will not leave me alone. There is a flaw and I do not yet understand it. I am...inexperienced.

Unprepared.

Character: Jealousy (Sith Assassin)

Title: Lessons

Occurs after Objects with Souls.

"There now. What do you feel?" Kel'eth Ur asked.

Jealousy looked down at the corpses. The energetic rush of combat fading, seeping away. The void absorbed it. Drank it. Like the fouled soil drank the strange blood of these creatures. They were nothing. Not vile enemies. Just creatures. Living, breathing, going about their lives until she ended them.

"Nothing," she said, and it was true. There was nothing left but emptiness.

"Not so glorious, is it?" Kel'eth Ur asked.

"It is nothing," Jealousy said. She deactivated her saberstaff. Khem was farther ahead in the passage. The creatures' chittering echoed and it was difficult to say where it came from. "What happens when there is nothing left to kill?" she asked.

"That is a very interesting question," Revan's mask said.

I've been working on a story revolving one of the current prompts but I couldn't ignore all of the comments. I would like to thank you all for all of your feedback and I'm glad you all enjoy the story. You'll see more of Bill O'Malley and the gang but I'm working on a something I've been waiting to write for a long time. Now that I'm here though I'll offer some comments on what I read so far.

@icecreampants I loved how the BH and the IA story crossed there. I definitely felt the 'Oh ****!' moment after the shot. Just can't wait to see how he got out of that one.

@TrystanLaryssa It was a good read and I think you pull the prompt off very well. They were about to do the same thing, preparing in similar ways, even thought about similar subjects but you still showed they were different people with different views and ideals. Very well executed.

@frauzet I like how Kayilo was mixed into Thorns' story and how Mako automatically jumped to 'that' conclusion when he mentioned it. Made me laugh.

@Striges Thanks for giving me some sort of format to follow. I don't plan on using the SWTOR storyline or characters often but I will keep the spoiler alerts in mind for the future.

@sthrift As you might have figured, I too am a Jarhead. Nice to know I'm not the only one!

@marissalf I definitely had to it read twice when I say this:

Malavai Quinn was dead.

If that was the spoiler I'm going to be pissed! (Please don't spoil it!) I use Quinn all the time with my Sith Jug not only because I need a healer but he's favorite companion out of the SW group (so far anyway. Only lvl 38). Reading that hit me hard and I instantly felt sad. Not the same way Rissia felt, but still sad.

Now time to get back to writing that story. I will keep my eye out for anymore that pop out.

I'm glad people enjoyed what I did with the companions and the code, and didn't seem to feel that it was too forced. I'm working on something for the current prompt, but in the meantime thought I should at least comment on the stories/comments since now and when I posted before there get to be even more!

Comments:

@Caernos my curiosity about Lord and Lady Morokei was piqued by this story, so I went back and found the earlier one. I enjoyed both, and I hope to see more, particularly showing some of Delia's motivations. "The Easy Job" made me chuckle.

@LaxKnight that's a similar parallel to what's happening, so I'm glad it was conveyed and the gist was clear enough, even without knowing the details. I enjoyed "Get Together." The personalities and your writing style did a good job of drawing me in and keeping me reading without skimming, a bad habit I have with text on a screen for whatever reason. I particularly enjoyed the interactions between Gloria and Bill.

@icecreampants The title makes me hopeful that this is the first in a series. Like the others, I enjoyed the banter between the Agent and Raina. I found it interesting that your agent uses her surname when addressing her. Poor Mako and poor Torian.

@TrystanLarysse I enjoyed the parallellism in your inquisitor and knight, their similar, if slightly different passions which they share with their companions, and conflicting emotions about who they, and who the other side, are.

@frauzet I liked the way you tweaked the class quest to be indivdualised while still recognisable. The changes all fit the characters involved, and are perfectly reasonable.

@Marissalf That was really lovely in how it reflects the way news like that can come, and how almost absurd the lack of narrative appropriateness to real death can feel. And then I went and read "Family" and "Family Part 2" and loved them both. And then I read some of the earlier Rissia stories and the difference between her then and her in this one is painful.

@Striges thank you! I'm glad you think I portrayed Tharan accurately. I enjoyed the clashes between his skepticism and Ilse's faith in the force while playing through the class. Your two stories made me go back and read through some of the previous Jurial and Jealousy stories, and I'm really enjoying the progression you're sketching out with them. I look forward to reading more!

Comments and Reply:

@marissalf: WOW.....that one hit me in the feels. That was a good description of how one might feel after someone they've hated for so long dies suddenly. Her cold, empty, indifference was nicely portrayed as well as the brief insight to her relationship with her daughters. Also, big thank you for the order note for the Index.....you have no idea how helpful that is!!

@alaurin, Ooh, that is a recipe for disaster!

Aric was sad…..the shiny thing was no longer alive with color. He kept watching it, hoping its sparkling life would come back, but it didn’t. Then when Mallay ducked down to get something out of her bag, it caught a light from overhead and for a brief second, the hint of a sparkle came from it. Aric realized what he needed to do to save it and as soon as she stood back up, he quickly plucked it from her hair.

This whole paragraph had me laughing so hard, just imaging Jorgan all enthralled with the shiny objects. :D
I was outlining the story and my cat came running out of my daughter's bedroom, head held high with one of her princess necklaces in his mouth.....he was so proud of himself and thus Jorgan's obsessive interest in shiny objects was born. :p

@Striges: I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I absolutely love how detailed your descriptions are......I can't even come close to achieving anything near that good in my stories and envy you that wonderful talent! Reading through Juriel's piece really made me think about the Jedi Code current in SWTOR and it's views on relationships......it is a little off-putting when you think about it......sex would be acceptable as long as love isn't involved because emotion is bad. Then so much impact in such a small piece for Jealousy......the rush of battle followed by vast emptiness.....I agree with Kel'eth Ur.....not so glorious at all. Also, thank you for the chronological note, it really helps me a lot when updating the Index!

Now, in case you are wondering what happened with the drugged Bella, Aric, and Elara, the wait is over. You're about to find out.......some of it. There will be one more part coming. For now......enjoy some Morning After shenanigains!

Title: What the Hell Did We Do Last Night?!

Prompt: The Morning After

Character: Belladonya-Smuggler, Mallayse-Trooper

Setting: XS Freighter, just after Its All Good....

Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Nar Shaddaa as well as a spoiler for a Republic Nar Shaddaa mission

**warning: some minor innuendo.....probably not worth a warning, but eh.....

Aric awoke to a head that felt like a bantha herd was stampeding inside. He didn’t know what was going on and he didn’t care…..all he knew was that he did not want to move. That changed when he felt something, no someone, stirring beside him. Oh, kark……I slept with someone last night! Without thinking about the consequences, he quickly sat up, opening his eyes and instantly regretted it. The bantha herd was joined by a squad of construction workers wielding jackhammers and as the room spun, he worried for a moment that he was going to vomit on his bed partner. After closing his eyes, lying back down, and taking a couple of deep breaths, the nausea passed and he finally risked a glance at the young woman next to him.

A pair of bloodshot, sleep deprived blue eyes stared back at him, “If you let go of my hair, I’ll go get something to help you feel better…….hopefully.”

Aric looked down at his hands, shocked to see Mallay’s thick auburn tresses wound around them, “I have no idea……”

“I’m sure you don’t,” she replied, the hint of a smile coming over her tired face.

“Uh…..did we?” he swallowed hard, unable to finish the question. It wasn’t that he didn’t want her…..he did, quite badly in fact, but he wanted to remember the experience and hopefully repeat it.

She flashed him an amused, yet reassuring grin, “No…….you just wanted my hair.”

“Thank the stars,” he sighed as he unraveled her lovely locks from his hands, relieved until he felt her tense beside him, “Dammit, I didn’t mean it like that……you’re gorgeous and any male in his right mind would want to spend the night making love to you….I just wanted it to be when I……oh sh*t…..” he trailed off, horrified at what he just blurted out and feeling like the galaxy’s biggest a*s as she raised a questioning brow at him. He did notice a blush color her cheeks a little and hoped that was a good sign, one that meant he hadn’t completely screwed up.

“Relax, Aric,” she yawned, getting up and stretching as she stood next to the couch they’d slept on, having been pulled out into a bed, “It’s alright. I’m going to go get something to make you feel a little better.”

The banthas and jackhammers suddenly stopped as he watched her stretch, then put her riot of waist length hair up into a haphazard ponytail, completely oblivious to the fact that those cute little sleep shorts were slipping down, giving him a nice view of her lacy underwear. Those definitely aren’t regulation, he mused, unable to stop the appreciative grin from crossing his face when those shorts slipped a little further as she walked over to the counter, showing him just how daring her choice of underwear really was, that’s just not fair……she was sleeping next to me wearing those?!

“You there?” Mallay snickered, startling him out of his thoughts as she handed him a glass of water. He took it, sitting up and she sat down next to him. Then she took a quick blood sample, smiled at the results, and injected him with two different stims, “Drink up, you need lots of water…..and don’t worry if you can’t remember things from last night,” she smirked as she got up and headed towards the door, med-case in hand, “Risha got lots of footage. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go check in on the other two victims.”

“Fantastic,” he growled, then decided to wipe that smirk off her face, “Hey, Mallay……are those Bella’s shorts you’re wearing?”

“Yeah, why?”

“They’re a little too big for you,” he answered, flashing her a wicked smile, “and I have to admit, I really love your taste in underwear.” He chuckled at the blush that slowly spread across her cheeks as she pulled her shorts up and tied the drawstring.

Without comment, she retreated out of the rec room, conflicting thoughts and feelings racing through her exhausted mind…..relief that he and the others were okay, giddiness that he thought she was gorgeous, hope that he really meant it, worry that he didn’t because she was starting to really like him, envy that she wasn't blessed with the curvy figure her sister had, sad that it didn’t matter because she was convinced she was somehow broken as far as intimate relationships were concerned, and a something else she wasn’t quite sure of. With a sigh, she opened the door to her sister’s quarters and the sight that greeted her was enough to dissolve her conflicting emotions, causing a huge grin that spread across her face.

Bella and Elara were fast asleep in Bella's bed, each with an arm around one of the large stuffed animals between them. Corso was sleeping in a reclining chair he’d pulled in there from the rec room, his large frame at an awkward angle that Mallay was certain would result in a few sore spots. She made a mental note to grab him a mild painkiller later then walked over to wake him. She was just about to nudge him when he opened his eyes.

“Mornin’” he muttered, yawning.

“Good morning,” Mallay smiled, “I see our female patients made it through the night.”

“and I see you got your hair back,” Corso returned her smile, “How’s he feeling?”

“Confused,” Mallay smirked, “and judging from his careful movements and facial expressions, I’d say he’s sporting one hell of a hangover.”

“Did you give him that stuff I got from Balkar last night?”

“I did and gave him a huge glass of water,” Mallay nodded, “So how’d your shift go?”

“They were pretty quiet actually,” Corso answered, “I only had to get up a couple of times…..once when they couldn’t decide whose Lynx was whose and a little later when Elara started crying that Bella took her blanket.”

“Sounds like you had it easier than Risha,” Mallay grinned.

“Yeah, but you had it the worst…..I don’t know how you slept!”

“I didn’t really,” Mallay sighed, stifling a yawn, “Every time I made the slightest move, Aric panicked and tightened his grip on my hair, begging me not to take it away. I just hope whatever Balkar has planned for us today isn’t too difficult…..I’m not sure how long I’m going to be able to function without sleep.”

“I hear you,” Corso yawned, “This chair isn’t the greatest thing to sleep in and…….”

Corso was interrupted by a loud gasp followed with a shout of “Oh my stars!” coming from Bella. He and Mallay glanced over at the bed, both laughing at the expression on Bella’s face as she sat up in bed and stared at Elara, who was just beginning to wake from the commotion.

“Do either of you care to stop laughing long enough to explain why I’m in bed with Elara?!” Bella croaked, looking a little green as she continued, “or why I feel like I’m hung over and about to throw up?”

“Sir?” Elara sat up, her face paling with the sudden movement and the realization that she was in bed with Bella.

“Corso, why don’t you go check on Aric while I dose them and explain….oh, and here,” Mallay suggested tossing him a stim she dug out of her medkit before walking over to her sister with it, “Take this, it’s a mild painkiller and judging from the way you were sleeping in that chair, you’re going to need it. We’ll join you in a bit and we can watch Risha’s footage.”

“Sure…..have fun,” Corso chuckled as he left Bella’s quarters. He took the stim, throwing the used injector in the trash as he walked into the rec room. He bit back a grin at the sight of the large Cathar sitting on the couch, still looking slightly unwell.

“Hey there, Corso,” Aric grunted, spotting the younger man in the doorway.

“How you feeling, man?” Corso grinned.

“About the same way you’d feel if you woke up in bed with Bella with no recollection of how you got there or what you did,” Aric snorted, “Care to enlighten me on how I ended up in that situation with Mallay?”

“You remember what went down at that spice lab?”

“I think so,” Aric closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose, “That last one…..we missed an inactive droid in the corner. Elara and I’d taken our helms off so we could see better to set the charges. I was in the middle of setting the last one when that droid activated, started shooting and hit one of the canisters, which exploded and sprayed all over us.”

“Mallay and I heard the commotion and went in,” Corso continued, “We saw the droid and took it out. Mallay found some towels and we cleaned you off.”

“That’s right,” Aric nodded, “You found a washing station, we showered off, Mallay grabbed a sample of the stuff and we left for Balkar’s……then Bella and Elara started acting a little off. They were going on about a club or something like that……I can’t really recall anything after that. The next thing I knew, I’m waking up on this couch with Mallay and I had her hair wrapped around my hands.”

“Yeah, you apparently had a thing for hair last night……and shiny, glittery objects.”

“That explains why this was in my pocket,” Aric held up the elaborate hairstick he’d found after Mallay left, “I’m pretty sure this is Mallay’s.”

“Yeah, you rescued it from her hair while the two of you were inside Balkar’s,” Corso snickered, recalling the gleeful look on his friend’s face when he came out holding his treasure.

“Great,” Aric muttered, “I made an a*s of myself in front of him and Mallay.”

“Hey, look on the bright side, hotstuff,” Risha drawled as she came in, “You slept with her and he didn’t.”

“She’s got a point,” Corso nodded, ducking from the pillow Aric whipped at him.

“Well?” Bella demanded after Corso left while Mallay took a blood sample from her arm then injected her with a stim.

“What’s the last thing you remember?” Mallay replied, moving over to Elara.

Bella tried to shut out the pounding in her head and focus her shaky thoughts, “We were taking out the spice labs…..”

“Some canisters blew up,” Elara continued, sitting back against the headboard as Mallay took her blood sample and gave her a stim.

“That’s right,” Bella recalled as she watched Mallay pour two glasses of water, “There was a droid that we missed, it activated while Aric was setting the charges.”

“and the three of us got sprayed,” Elara nodded as Mallay handed her a glass of water.

“You and Corso came in and took out the droid……I couldn’t see because my face was covered in that crap,” Bella paused, taking a large drink from the glass Mallay handed her.

“We were careless, taking off our helms…..”

“No you weren’t,” Mallay assured her, “Our helmets are good in combat, but crappy to see out of for anything else……I would’ve taken mine off as well.”

“I remember Corso helping us at the water station while you tested the stuff to see what it was,” Bella went on, sounding a little better.

“That’s right,” Mallay nodded, “but my scanner didn’t find a match so I took a sample in case any got absorbed in your systems.”

“Then we left and it’s fuzzy after that,” Elara finished, “I’m assuming that whatever was in those canisters did get in our systems.”

“It sure did,” Mallay grinned.

“Glad you think it’s so funny, sis,” Bella snorted, “You weren’t the one who woke up in bed with another woman and while I have no issues with same gender relationships, it's not something I'm into and therefore quite shocking!”

“and why do we have these stuffed animals in here?”

“Corso bought the stuffed animals…..you’ll see why later and it is funny sister dearest,” Mallay insisted, a wicked smirk once again on her face, “because it’s usually you making fun of me for something stupid that happened……kinda nice to have it the other way around. As for waking up in bed in your current predicament……hey, at least you slept!”

“You do look a little tired, Mallay,” Bella conceded, “I take it you got stuck with Aric.”

“You might say that,” Mallay snorted, rubbing her sore head, “He literally had me by the hair all night!”

“He was pulling your hair?” Bella asked, brow quirked in confusion as she exchanged a look with a shrugging Elara.

“He was after we took the two of you away from him,” Risha answered from the door, “So, how are the little princesses doing this morning?”

“Oh, I think they’ll recover……physically at least,” Mallay giggled, “The mental recovery might take a little longer.”

“It will after we show them the HoloVid I took!” Risha laughed as she headed for the rec room.

“Alright ladies,” Mallay told Bella and Elara as she headed for the door, “I never got a shower last night, so I’m taking a turn. Drink up and as soon as you feel up to it, get dressed and you can see just how much fun we all had last night.”

After her sister left, Bella turned to Elara, “What in the hell do you suppose we did last night?”

“I don’t know,” Elara sighed, “and I’m not entirely certain I want to find out…….”

Edited by alaurin

@LaxKnight: send it to bright_ephemera

OK, alaurin already answered the question. I might as well add a few comments and replies.

To all who commented on Mako's ‘Anti-the-Worst-You-Do-not-Want-to-Catch’, it was actually a result of me being to lazy to do some research about any problems that might occur if you take broad-spectrum antibiotic and antimycotic together. So instead of naming anything of that kind, I decided somebody in the Thorns-verse had invented something that worked against all at once...

@marissalf: You're doing a good job of describing this empty feeling at the loss of somebody. The realization, that whatever it was, that you wanted to say or do, now it is to late.

@Striges: 'Constellations of freckles' *sigh* reminds me of something that I heard once: "A face without freckles is like a night sky without stars."

I like the objects better with every story you tell anout them. They would have witnessed a lot. Listening to them and learning from them certainly would be very interesting. And getting to the interesting question wouldn't take as long as it would take without their help.

@alaurin: I was smiling through this story because of the hair. My son used to do that when he was younger. He'd always grab my hair during falling asleep and it was really difficult to disentangle it once he was asleep, without waking him up again.

And you added some nice other little details like the shorts that are a little to big. Of course she would wear those of her sister...

Edited by frauzet

@Alaurin- I did go back and read your original after all the comments with the shiny objects references... and reading part two just now made me very happy I did! This was awesome. Poor Aric... he's such a serious person, and to be reduced to... baser instincts... has to be frustrating. Not to mention Elara! I loved that you picked these two ordinarily straightlaced companions to show the other side of! A fun read, both of them!

Also, as my time is somewhat sporadic and I've been lurking here for a while, I was wondering what the accepted posting schedule was... I was tempted to put up a second piece, but I wasn't sure if that would be too much in one week, as there are plenty of others here too. Is there an unwritten rule about this somewhere? Is it weird if I put up two or so stories in a week and then maybe not get back to it for a while, or should I try and keep on schedule?

@TrystanLaryssa: I don't think there's any unwritten rule and I think you'll find several people that are sporadic due to time constraints. I know I've plagued the forums with my spew as many as four times in a week.....in fact there will be at least one more part to conclude the Nar Shaddaa Spice Incident and I even wrote something for the weekly prompt. So, by all means, if you have another piece, go for it!!! :D

Also, glad you're liking the Nar Shaddaa Spice Incident......I probably should feel bad for what I've done to those poor companions, but Aric was such a turd back on Ord.

@frauzet: LOL, my daughter was the hair tugger, my son (much to my hubby's amusement) was the one who appreciated busty ladies and copped several feels as a tot. Ah, yes, Mallay just had to wear those shorts and that particular pair of panties in that situation.....

Edited by alaurin

@TrystanLaryssa: from what I've seen so far, there are quite a few of us, who do this sporadic. If you feel like posting another story, I'll be glad to read it, and I guess so will be the others.

The weekly prompts often trigger some ideas, but feel free to use any prompt you like. Or none at all, if you can't find one that fits your story.

Alright, I suppose I can post this one. This would be me working backwards through the most recent prompts, and it was my Agent that grabbed it. This is set just before Balmorra, or right after the briefing for same, to be technical.

Prompt: Marketing

Title: Cover-Up

Character: Malova (Imperial Operative) and Kaliyo

This had absolutely nothing to do with her supposed self-image issues, and even less to do with Kaliyo's lewd comments about skimpy dancer wear and full face masks. That woman was just trying to get a rise out of her again, and Malova had fallen for it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with a properly-groomed appearance. One didn't need to adorn oneself with multiple pucture wounds and random bits of glittering shrapnel in order to make a personal statement. Malova preferred making a personal understatement, preferred being subtle, classy, and if at all possible, critically underestimated.

She smiled to herself at this last thought, a quiet smile that more glittered in her dark blue eyes than actually crossed her face. Crossing the station toward the throng of people and vendors, her eyes wandered over to a rather ostentatious booth lit up in shifting shades of cyan. In an arc across the top, bright lettering spelled out the name "Aesthetech" in Basic. A holoprojector was central to the arrangement, sporting huge images of huge faces that gradually became unrecognizable through various subtle (and not as subtle) changes in appearance. Garish was the first word that came to mind.

Her eyes widening a little, Malova lifted a brow, and her lip curled in a half-sneer. "Oh no. I'm sorry, but I am not going anywhere near that obnoxious display of decadence!"

"Oh, please, Agent Stuffy... we haven't even been off Hutta that long. Compared to most of the places there, this one's classy! And I mean compared to the good ones!" She gave Malova a look that made her genuinely question exactly what Kaliyo meant by "good ones" before deciding that asking would only amount to stepping in another one of the Rattataki's baited traps.

"I was assigned to Hutta for work, not talked into 'checking it out' sometime. There is a notable difference!"

"Hey... this is for work! You can't just go prancing around Balmorra in that Imperial uniform of yours! The people you're supposed to be talking to would fill you full of holes before you got two overedcuated words out at them. You gotta play rebel." She grinned, leaning in close, her voice dropping to a husky whisper. "And for the right price, I can show you everything you need to know..."

Malova just stared at her. "I appreciate the offer, but..." The horror on her face must have been far too apparent, because Kaliyo wrinkled her nose and laughed coldly. Damn her.

"Well, then that place is your best shot." She grinned. "Probably your only shot."

Rolling her eyes, Malova walked over to the crowded booth, and decided to at least inquire. She could always say no.

An enthusiastic woman greeted her, one hand on her shoulder, the other playing curiously through her apparently too-short black hair. Glowing comments were made about the lovely color of her eyes, her elegant posture, they could tell exactly what she was looking for and they had just the thing!

Hurriedly they stood her in front of a body scanner and fitted her with a pair of VR frames. For the next few horrifying moments, Malova saw her face contorted many different ways, slathered in various types of makeup and tattoos. She saw her hair shortened, lengthened, removed entirely in favor of spikes, and changed any number of colors both natural and not. She even saw subtle changes made to her skin or features that would give her the appearance of a completely different person. She would have to remember this place if her life was ever truly on the line and she had to change her face, she thought morbidly.

Always between variations, the face that was hers would flash back as the generator reset. Over and over again, she saw possibilities that would make her look more vibrant, more unique, more able to stand out in a crowd. Always, though, it came back to comfortable, familiar, ordinary Malova. Eventually it dawned on her that what she wanted wasn't this insanity at all. Whatever Kaliyo may think of her plain, forgettable appearance, it was actually ideal for her purposes, her career... hers was a plain, forgettable face! All she needed, really was a few... hm... yes...

Abruptly, Malova excused herself, shrugging out of the headpiece viewer and stepping down from the scanner. She pushed swiftly but not rudely through the crowd and vanished between a few of the hawkers.

After about half an hour, Kaliyo was getting restless. Malova knew her tells enough to be able to pick up on it, but she waited a few moments more, partly because Kaliyo deserved it, but also letting her mind slip into her new persona, growing accustomed to the feel of the attire she wore. Then, face shifting subtly to adopt an air of confidence and self-assurance, she opened those sharp blue eyes and strode toward Kaliyo.

She almost broke character and laughed when it dawned on her Kaliyo did not immediately recognize her. She wasn't dressed like an Imperial Intelligence agent, but this was also not the rough, armored Blade either. As she strode forward, her long coat flowing silently behind her, she swung her hips just a little, and the tight pants she sported made it obvious she most definitely had hips. She had left her hair just a bit ruffled after removing her top, and hadn't replaced said top with much aside from the coat. What was possibly most striking though was the smile she wore. If her usual demeanor was cool and official, this expression went beyond warm right on to just a little dangerous. The rifle on her back and the long knife at her waist helped to underline this.

Undaunted, she strode up to Kaliyo, lifting her chin a little, aware how this affected the line of her fair skin against he dark coat, from her jaw down her bared throat and over the curve of her breast. Appreciatively, the dark and dangerous woman arched a brow, looking her up and down. "Not bad, Agent. What got into you?"

Dropping her usual soft, formal Imperial accent, Malova grinned. "I'll call it... a professional secret."

Kaliyo smirked, narrowing her dark eyes, and leaned in closer. "I don't know if 'secret' is the word I'd use... you're not exactly hiding much." She jabbed her sharp nail into Malova's bare side, which did cause her to jump just slightly. A swift blush stole across her cheeks.

Recovering, she grabbed Kaliyo none too gently by one of her spiked earrings, leaning close to that ear. "Misdirection. Maybe I'll have to teach you sometime... for the right price."

As she strode past Kaliyo and toward the station doorway, the Rattataki turned to follow, rubbing her ear. "Mmm... pity, Agent... you always make promises you don't plan to keep."

And a clarification, probably unnecessary:

Although the thought had occurred, and was briefly amusing, I am not actually shipping Kaliyo / IA here. It's really more of a way for them to poke at each other, keep each other on guard. Mostly inspired by the way I /facepalmed when Malova met her... Kaliyo came on rather strong, and the response she had to it reminded me of the way Quinn would react to my SW pushing his buttons! Their continued friendship has kind of become defined by this.

Edited by TrystanLaryssa

As promised, here is my next story. This isn't a part two of the amazing adventures of Bill and company but it will come (maybe next?!?). But as always, first the comments.

Comments:

@Striges Sorry if I seemed I missed your stories. I just posted my comments when I noticed yours popped up. I had a 'Oh...shucks' moment there. Anywho, your first story talks about a very interesting topic. Love and sex are two different things and we see that all the time in media. Then it brings up the age old struggle between how far can passion and attachment go, something Jedi always seem to struggle with. We'll see how what conclusion she comes to.

As for the second story, I'm not familiar with the story of Jealousy but when I read the first thing that came to mind was the rage bar for my Sith Jug draining after finishing combat in the game. And yes, what do you do after you kill everything IS a very interesting question.

@alaurin We are graced with the next part after the 'spice incident'. The reactions of the inflicted were hilarious! Especially when Bella and Elara woke up in the same bed trying to figure out if anything happened. I just can't wait to see their reactions to the video!

@TrystanLaryssa The interaction between Malova and Kaliyo is great. I can feel how daunted Malova was when going through the different options and changing her appearance and her unwillingness to change. It also shows it doesn't take much to change into a different person. Is it the trenchcoat you get from the CC that Malova is using? I use that same one for the Scoundrel I play.

Now onto the story. I hope you enjoy it!

Prompt: Sacrifice, Bad Memories

Title: War Stories

Character: Joturn “Jo” Turnan (Mandalorian Bounty Hunter)

Word Count: 2250 +

The rain continued to pour. It fell upon the crops, watering them, allowing them to grow and flourish. A young girl stood in the doorway of the small cabin bordering the woods. Her fiery red hair was bound into braids that fell onto her shoulders. Her lithe form was clad in a simple white tank top and black cargo pants. On her hip she carried a blaster pistol. Any good Mandalorian would always be armed, even on their home planet Mandalore. Her light hazel eyes looked out into the rain, searching for someone.

He came through the fields as the stalks parted before him. He was an older man, pushing a bit over fifty which was ancient by Mandalorian standards, but his farm had kept him strong as he toiled over the soil to produce his crop. Today was not the day for that though. He spent enough of his time working in the mud. He didn’t need to today. Though the top of his hair was still a dark chocolate brown, his temples were streaked and speckled with silver like a mine. He too was also wearing a tank top but his bottoms and belt were that of what he wore with his armor, minus the plates. Though there were many interesting scars that laced his body, his most distinguishing feature was his cybernetic left arm. It was made of beskar, Mandalorian Iron, practically unbreakable and resistant to lightsabers. The old man looked toward the ground held his normal arm to his chest as he tried to shield himself from the cold and rain.

The girl disappeared for moment only to return running out into the torrent with a large jacket. She draped it over the taller man and he made room for her to nestle into his side to shield both of them. “Thanks Joyce,” the old man said.

“No problem, buir. Seemed a little cold there,” Joyce replied.

Buir. Father. This man was not her biological father. However he was her savior long ago on Nar Shaddaa she saw her parents brutally murdered and was shot by the man when she tried to defend herself and take revenge. She wouldn’t be here right now if this man hadn’t stepped in and taken her under his care and wing. He taught her so much that she accepted his offer to officially adopt her. Now it was hard remembering her old father. All she needed was buir.

Once they reached the overhang that covered the porch the old man let the girl run inside as he shook his jacket free of any excess drops before entering himself. While the outside looked simple the inside looked like a fortress, with some home touches of course. The ground was sunken and the walls were made of several inches of durasteel in between the duracrete interior and wooden exterior. They entered the living area where a fireplace, two tables, and some chairs lay. The old man walked toward the slit they had for a window as he watched the storm continue. “Says it will be like this all day,” his voice as rough as sandpaper said, “Looks like we ain’t working today.”

He turned to his daughter. “Were you want’en to do something today?”

Joyce was sitting in a chair as she pondered what she had planned today. “Nothing comes to mind,” was her answer.

The old Mandalorian took a seat at one of the tables. “Really? Nothing at all? No training or anything?” he asked.

“Nope.”

Not quite believing her but realizing he won’t get an answer anytime soon, he pulled out his multitool and began tinkering on his arm. Joyce simply watched him with inquisitive eyes. Ever since she met him whenever he had nothing else to do he was always fiddling with his arm. She found it amazing how everything came together and worked. How everything was somehow connected. The way he made the multitool dance across it as he snipped this and spliced that. All of the various gizmos and gadgets that somehow all managed to fit into something as small as a human arm.

He was passionate in how much care he put into it. He built everything from the materials and gadgets to even forging the Mandalorian Iron he used for the frame and plating. He even invented a system where his arm was be naturally powered by his body and how the battery he used for the ‘extra features’ can be charged by his body. She could spend hours watching him as his eyebrows were furrowed in concentration and his mouth was scrunched into a slight smile. Watching how he winced when he needed to test a touch sensor. How his eyes danced to the area that most needed his care.

Joyce would stare but he would never say anything, telling her to stop or do something else. He was never too absorbed in his work that he would ignore his surroundings. He would answer her questions and listen to how her day and offer her advice though he rarely looked up from his work. For now though she simply opted to watch as observing him doing so was somehow relaxing, she didn’t know why. As she watched, her face contorted as she came to a realization.

Buir?” she said.

“Yeah?” was the reply.

“What happened to your arm?”

All movement stopped. The old man looked down at the table his mechanical hand clenched in and out of a fist. She knew it was a sensitive question. Only twice has Joyce asked it and both times he deflected the question. She could tell that it pained him to think about it but she had to know. “I’m 16. I’m a woman now. You going to have to tell me eventually,” she argued.

There was a heavy sigh as a moment of silence followed it. Finally the old man looked up, first at his arm then to his daughter. Pain was evident on his face, a remembered pain. He leaned back in his chair, putting his hands behind his head, as he let out a sigh. His eyes stared out in the distance as he was trying to figure out where to start, how to put his feelings and memories into words. He then leaned forward, elbows on his knees, clasping his hands together, hanging his head behind them. “Okay,” he whispered to himself then he looked up to meet the hazel eyes of his daughter.

“It was a long time ago. I was a lot younger. A different person then. They were different times and…I don’t want you to think any less of me when I tell you. I've done some terrible things but I'm not the man I once was,” he warned.

It was then that Joyce realized how important and painful it was for the old Mandalorian. What could have he done that was so horrible to tell about? What was he ashamed of? “You will always be my buir,” she said.

He smiled, encouraged to go on. “Do you remember the Resol’nare?” he asked

“Yes. The Six Actions. What all Mandalorians live by,” Joyce answered.

“Very good. When I was a younger man I wanted to go out and see the galaxy. In order to do so I needed credits. All I knew how to do was kill and fix things so that’s what I did, become a bounty hunter, merc, gun for hire,” his face darkened a bit as he said, “And I liked it. I was good at it too, killing people. Instead of a means to get by it became more of a sport, a hunt for glory. So when Mandalore the Lesser called upon us to fight against the Republic, I was more than eager to do so.”

He took a moment to himself and gathered his emotions before he continued. “I killed lots of people. Not just soldiers but civilians. Women and children too. Whatever it took to see pick a fight and find a challenge. I even killed three Jedi,” he said, “I didn't care about the collateral damage or who got in the way. But even then I cared my brothers, my vode. Even through all of my bloodthrist and glory hounding I made sure my men got through alive. I was promoted to sergeant then. We fought for many years. Planets and systems fell before our might. Even when the Republic broke the blockade we continued to push.”

He leaned back in his wooden chair, hands in his lap, as he got to the meat of the story. His eyes seemed to be watching a holovid only he can see as he got up in nostalgia. “We were on Jabiim. The Sith wanted the planet for its ore. I thought fighting on that mud ball was a waste of time. There were no Republic Forces when they came. They only cared when we took the planet over. The fleet was small compared to what they usually sent. They didn’t send a Jedi! The resistance on Jabiim put up a better fight than they did! They only managed to get a foothold on the planet because they had numbers on their side! At that time I led seven other vod and we were under the command of…Lord Tysus,” he said the name with venom, “Rained a lot like it is now, only every…single…day. Every square foot of that planet was covered in mud that when you stepped in it your foot sank to the ankle. The VIPs, like Lord Tysus, had a nice little HQ set up while we laid siege on the Republic base in the mud.

Joyce saw the anger grow in his eyes as her father told the next piece. “We fought under Lord Tysus for a while now and we were used to his ‘methods’. His ‘strategy’ was throwing as many men at a problem until it was solved. It was only by our quick thinking and skills that we managed to be in one piece. That day he ordered us to charge the Republic base head on. That was suicide, no other word for it. Now we always followed his orders, even if we got a little creative with them, but I wasn’t about to let that hut’uun was my vode like that!

“So I led the team to infiltrate the base. By the time Lord Tysus showed his pompous purple robed shebs to the frontline, we opened the gate of the base and the rest of the Imps rushed inside. We took the base, we kicked the Republic off that mud hole, and we won! But Lord Tysus didn’t see it that way. After we cleared out the base, he had us line up in front of him. He called me forward and asked why I didn’t lead my vode in a frontal assault. I told him that I wasn’t willing to sacrifice their lives when I knew there was a better way to complete the objective. To win.”

As he spoke his right hand slowly rose to where flesh met metal. When he finished the last sentence he turned to Joyce. His mud brown eyes conveyed anger, pain, and loss. They seemed to be on the verge of tears. It scared her. His voice was so full of emotion that when it came out it was strained.

“He looked at me with blood red eyes and said I sacrificed their lives the moment I disobeyed his orders,” he said then burst into rage, “Before any of us could react he pulled out his lightsaber and cut my arm off. Then he lifted me in the air as and made me watch as he killed all of my vode with lightning. They couldn’t fight back. There was no warning. It just…happened. I watched as the men and women I fought with were fried right before my eyes. Then when the last brother fell he whispered in my ear ‘And that is the price of pride and disobedience.’ Then he tossed me aside like an old doll into the mud. I laid there as I watched the rain fall upon my severed arm.”

As his tale ended so did his energy and resolve. The old Mandalorian bowed his head as he remembered the searing pain in his shoulder and in his heart. Joyce was too stunned to say anything. Her hand reached for her gaping mouth as she remained wide eyed at the horror she just heard. All that for disobeying an unreasonable command? All they did was follow buir's orders. They didn't all need to die. She heard that the Sith were cruel but never realized to what degree. She heard her father sniffle as she saw seven tears fell to the floor. Never has she seen him cry.

After a moment the old man finally regained his enough of his composure. He leaned forward with his elbows on his knees and looked into her eyes. He could see the terror and confusion in her eyes and she could see the pain in his. “Is there something else you want to know?” he asked.

Her mouth still refusing to function, she shook her head. The old soldier nodded his head in understanding. “Alright then,” he said as he sat back in his chair and turned to look out into the rain, “Hollar if you need something.”

Joyce watched him as he simply stared out into the rain in stoic silence. Seeing no other movement she got up from her chair and left for the kitchen. She knew him well enough that now he simply needed to be alone with his thoughts and emotions. Of course maybe a little food could ease them after this war story.

Author's Rant (contains spoilers of story above):

I've been waiting to write this for a long time. I've roleplayed this character a few times in forum RPs and I've been dying for someone to ask how he got his cybernetic arm but no has ever asked. Now I finally have some way to get his story told and off my chest. Such a relief to finally get it out there!

Edited by LaxKnight

Comments! Putting behind a cut for length, though there's no set rule for that...

Whew, I was going to be all helpful answering questions about how things are done (in an unregulated come-as-you-are fashion) around here, but it sounds like our regulars are on top of things! I'll mention explicitly that alaurin's marvelous index by author, character, and chronology is a great resource for looking up more of any given character's background. Authors A are here and the rest are linked in alaurin's signature.

@frauzet, wow, I can just hear Mako trying to keep a lid on things as Thorns apparently reels from shooting people to sleeping with security chiefs.

@marissalf, I don't know if it's healthy to find Rissia's position very relatable, but I do. The fact that she always knew she had power over Quinn's life must be disorienting to lose, and so suddenly.

@Striges, and this is where the modern Jedi call Avamarivash Dark Side, or at least his memoirs. More perceptive people than me have observed that the Jedi of the current era seem to have no doctrine against no-strings-attached sex. And yet it probably isn't encouraged.

I love Jealousy's entourage. It is a clever and wonderful way to work in these familiar if small-in-game NPCs.

@alaurin

“Hey, look on the bright side, hotstuff,” Risha drawled as she came in, “You slept with her and he didn’t.”

“She’s got a point,” Corso nodded, ducking from the pillow Aric whipped at him.

This made me grin. :D

@TrystanLaryssa

Malova preferred making a personal understatement, preferred being subtle, classy, and if at all possible, critically underestimated.
Nice little piece of characterization there. I really like how you described the AestheTech from an in-universe perspective.

LaxKnight, great, raw piece. You bring out both Joyce's relationship with her buir and the hard memories of the (tragically believable ) Sith.

@LaxKnight- That was an epic tale. I'm sorry you weren't able to tell it sooner. It very much echoes a lot of the anger I've felt dealing with the various Sith in-game... unreasonable demands, ridiculous arrogance, and causing so much hurt and pain like it's no big deal... you really echoed that well! Even a victory results in defeat because of the whims of somebody who's supposed to be on your side... it's insane.

Oh, and yes... I have Malova in the Unfettered Trenchcoat for Balmorra... and BOY does it look different after watching the little uniformed Agent run around the capital! But that's what you do... become somebody other than yourself, for the good of the Empire. She's outside her comfort zone, sure... but when is the IA not? ;)

Alaurin: My son went for necklaces and earrings mostly--but both my cats like to play with my hair.

The shock as the trio woke up in their various awkward situations was a lot of fun. At the same time, it’s so good to see how all your characters care for each other.

TristanLaryssa: As others have stated, SFC is pretty casual. We get a new prompt (and a featured former prompt) every Friday. Write as much or as little as you like, as often or as infrequent as you like. Post first day, last day, somewhere in the middle, or all three. If none of the current prompts inspire you, peruse the prompt archive for something else.

I liked the way you used the appearance changer, down to the shock of what the character creation screen would feel like to your character. I also liked the interaction between Malova and Kaliyo.

Frauzet: It’s not lazy, it’s a Mako-ism. It sure sounded like her.

LaxKnight: Wonderful story. Well thought out, great detail, and believable Sith cruelty. I liked Joyce’s observations about her buir’s replacement arm early in the piece, that Jo took such care of it, tied to the later revelation of why he needs it. I’m glad you had an opportunity to tell it here.

I’m glad people liked Jurial’s story. One of the hardest things to do for Jurial is to get into his mindset, where he understands the Force and what it wants based on faith and what he observes. Jurial doesn’t get to look up things on Wookiepedia. The thought that Tharan Cedrax is the best role model for how to deal with the opposite sex disturbs him greatly. To date, none of the Order’s answers on that front satisfy him.

As for Jealousy’s story: (JK and Revan spoilers)

Jealousy’s “interesting question” dovetails into the Emperor’s quest to destroy all life in the galaxy. Revan is aware of this; Kel’eth Ur wouldn’t be at the beginning. Both of them would be pushing for that question: if you get your power from pain and death, what happens when there’s no one left to hurt or kill? I like to think of them showing Jealousy a path she didn't know existed.

Oh, and yes... I have Malova in the Unfettered Trenchcoat for Balmorra... and BOY does it look different after watching the little uniformed Agent run around the capital! But that's what you do... become somebody other than yourself, for the good of the Empire. She's outside her comfort zone, sure... but when is the IA not? ;)

I couldn't help it. On one of my snipers, I had to put her and Kaliyo both in the Imperial uniform from the Cartel Market.

It's hilarious to watch all these people that she's lying to and misleading into thinking she's a bunch of different things, none of them Imperial, trust her while she's trotting around looking like a Captain in the Imperial Navy.

Especially (Balmorra Agent spoilers)...

Chemish talk about how much the Agent surprised her, and treating her like a buddy and a valued friend in the resistance, all while she's looking right at the medals on my sniper's Imperial uniform.

(Rant) Why didn't they add a standard Imperial cap to that uniform? I hate how it makes your hair go away, but it would have been so much better than putting Toothpicks in all of my characters' and crews' mouths. (Or Nihilus masks, which get immediately hidden and then mysteriously show up and cause much amusement in random on-ship class conversations.)

Yes. I got that outfit too. (Worth it... I have 3 characters who are using it... Quinn, Talos and Malova wear it!) But somehow it seemed... funny... on Balmorra.

That and once I got used to her looking all formal, it was fun to "make" her wear something else. ;)

And thank you all for the kind explanations about writing schedules, prompts and such. I've actually had the prompt list bookmarked for some time now, just haven't gotten around to posting. :)

It's hilarious to watch all these people that she's lying to and misleading into thinking she's a bunch of different things, none of them Imperial, trust her while she's trotting around looking like a Captain in the Imperial Navy.

I flubbed a convo on Taris because I couldn't believe the NPC couldn't tell my Agent was Imperial. She's wearing the uniform for heaven's sake!

Umm, oh yeah, they can't actually see her. *facepalm*

Comments:

@Septembersphinx: Ouch, that was heartbreaking to read. Good job. My consular has worried about that possibility herself.

@Caernos: Sounds like this couple is in for a troubled marriage. Looking forward to reading more.

@Laxknight: The name O'Malley always makes me think of Aristocats too, but Bill looks like he's going to be some fun to read about.

Prompt: Why are you still here?

Character: Kirya Bilali (gunslinger), Corso, Risha

Title: Get the Hell off my Ship

Spoilers for the end of smuggler Coruscant, not quite 1800 words. Most of Kirya's stuff is later in her story. This piece would occur after the AU story Hope and Kisses.

"Oh, Force, what is that smell? Forget the upgrades, I should have had Fabizian fumigate this place." Kirya stomped up the entry ramp into the perimeter passageway, a hand over her nose. "Everything reeks of his rotten aftershave. Obsession for womp rats."

Corso chuckled, "I think it’s Eau d'Spice."

Kirya shook her head, “He better not have spice in here. I will kill him if there’s spice--”

A bipedal droid met them, "Greetings, fair organic, I am C2--"

"Oh, no," Kirya said, interrupting the speech, "Off my ship! You belong to Skavak. I don't want a droid, I don't need a droid, get off my ship!"

The droid persisted, "I assure you, master--"

"DO NOT CALL ME THAT!" Kirya snapped, "Corso, find the power off switch on this thing and seal it in the secondary cargo bay. I don't want it touching anything else in here. Who knows what Skavak programmed it for."

"Begging your pardon, gentlebeing, but I am merely a factotum droid," the machine continued. It turned politely to keep Kirya in full view while she shoved her way past it. Corso felt around its burnished chassis, "My only purpose is to ser--" the droid's voice cut off and it shuddered to a halt.

"Thank you," Kirya said.

Corso straightened and beamed a smile at her, "Viidu had a couple LE- models. Built almost the same." He hefted the inert machine over his shoulder, “You know, these things sell pretty well on the used market.”

“I bet. Skavak probably bought it there,” Kirya griped, “Keep it shut down until I get it memory wiped. I’ll figure out what to do with it later.”

“Sure thing, Captain,” Corso said, “Where’s the secondary bay?” he asked.

Kirya pointed down the passageway, “Go left. Second door, just past the engine room. I want to check the rest of my ship.”

“Sure thing,” Corso replied, heading off in the indicated direction.

Kirya went the other way. A few paces beyond the passage opened to the ship’s common room. “Argh!” Kirya exclaimed, snatching up a handful of food bar wrappers from the dejarik table and kicking an alumina beverage cannister toward the incinerator slot, “Of course, stuff yourself with the expensive stores. And would it kill you to put the trash in the receptacle? Lazy bastard.” she tossed the garbage down the incinerator chute, “It’s all right, Fifty. I’m back. I’ll get you all fixed up again,” she murmured, patting the bulkhead.

She jogged across the space to the closed door to her cabin. Opening the door, she heaved a sigh of relief. The walls were still the same color. Her sheets were still on the bed, if rumpled and askew. Skavak’s clothes littered the floor. The place was a mess, but it wouldn’t be the first time she dumped someone else’s clothes down the trash. Though maybe she ought to donate the good stuff to the Coruscant Alien Refugee Relief society. She picked up a leatheris jacket with a long-sleeved shirt still inside it. Serve him right for an alien to get his souvenir Rotworm practice jersey.

She dropped it and sprinted the two steps to the built-in dresser. Yanked open a drawer. Empty. A second. Also empty. Kirya tugged open each one in turn. All of them empty. All her stuff, gone. "Skavak!" she yelled to the empty air, "you're a dead man!"

"Uh, Captain?" Corso's voice drifted up from parts aft, "you come back here please?"

Kirya glared at the mess and empty dresser. She almost didn't want to know what kind of surprises Skakak left for her in the Cargo bay. Grumbling, she made her way back to the rear compartments. With her luck recently, she probably had a hold full of Imperial-marked weapons. No, no, a squadron of--

Kirya rounded the corner to the bay and nearly ran into Corso. The droid lay in a heap at his feet. Across the bay, leaning nonchalant against the repair bench, was a human female. "Uh, Captain," Corso began, ''this is Risha," he said.

"Charmed," Kirya said, “now get the hell off my ship."

"Skavak and I were partners," Risha started.

"Oh, well, in that case, get the hell off my ship now," Kirya said, crossing her arms over her chest. "Door's that way. Corso, escort the nice human off my ship."

Corso's gaze swapped between the two women, paralyzed between good manners and orders. Risha took the initiative, "Business partners," she said.

"Sure you were," Kirya said, "bye now."

Risha mirrored Kirya's posture, "I have a proposal you might be interested in," she tried.

“Look, no offense, but the last time one of Skavak’s lady friends gave me something, it turned out to be the cheapest passage to Coruscant ever. I think the cargo was more comfortable. So I’m not interested in your proposal, I don’t want to know about you and Skavak, I want you off my ship.”

Risha’s lip twisted in a smirk, “Skavak thought my project had merit. I only recruited him because he had a ship that could be modified to my specifications--”

Kirya’s lekku twitched, “Why are you still here?”

“--and I’d prefer to work with someone more professional. Not to mention the ship’s rightful owner,” Risha persisted.

Kirya threw up her hands, “What part of get off my ship was unclear? You’ve got until I get to the comm and call port authority to report a stowaway to get the hell off--” Kirya’s eye fell on one of the odd collection of items in the bay, “That’s a head.” she said.

Risha followed her gaze, “Yes.”

“A human head,” Kirya continued.

“Yes,” Risha agreed.

“That’s a human head, in a jar.” Kirya said.

“Yes,” Risha repeated, amusement sparkling in her voice.

“It’s looking at me,” Kirya said, taking a few steps to the left, her eyes never leaving the severed appendage, “It’s still looking at me.”

“It does that,” Risha commented.

Kirya tore her gaze away from the macabre decoration, “Just what kind of sick operation did you and Skavak have going?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” Risha said, smiling and pushing off the workbench, “You’ve heard of Nok Drayen?”

“Oh, no, you’re a treasure hunter,” Kirya muttered, “I hate to burst your bubble, but the whole Nok Drayen treasure ship thing? It’s a story. It’s a good story, but it’s just a story. Nok Drayen was a criminal mastermind. Even if he died with a planetful of loot, there’s no way he stashed it on a mystery ship somewhere in the depths of space. He either spent it himself or his lieutenants divvied it up a long time ago," Kirya said. Her father followed underworld news the way regular people followed gossip or politics. She remembered when Drayen's death made the 'net.

"You're so sure?" Risha asked.

Dad scoffed at the waves of treasure hunters begging for funds. He thought the story was Drayen's last trick. "Yeah, I am."

Risha's grin widened, "What would you say if I told you I know where it is?"

"I'd say you're running the oldest scam in the book," Kirya replied, "What did you promise Skavak? 70-30 split if he picked up expenses?"

Risha declined to answer the question, "I know where it is. But Nok Drayen's treasure isn't easy to get to. Your ship is good, but she'll need improvement if you want to make it out and back."

Kirya scowled. Here comes the pitch. Risha almost had her going. "I see. And how much will these 'improvements' cost me?"

"Nothing," Risha answered.

Kirya blinked, “Nothing.” This sort of scam usually had the owner paying out the nose for augments that never arrive.

“I’ve already made arrangements. Fabizian was the first of many. Trades lined up on a dozen worlds to get the parts required. All I need is a ship to take me there. Take us there,” Risha said.

“Uh huh,” Kirya said, “you upgrade my ship. I presume you deduct the cost of the work from my share of the theoretical proceeds?”

“Actually,” Risha said, “I want only one item from the hoard. The rest is yours. You keep the upgrades as payment for my passage.”

If we find it,” Kirya objected.

“We’ll find it,” Risha assured her, “I know where it is.”

“Every Drayen fanatic says that,” Kirya objected, “no one’s found it. No one’s found it because it doesn’t exist. Look, nice try. Credit where credit’s due. You make a crazy good offer but the answer’s still no. Now get the hell off my ship.” She reached for the external hatch controls.

“I have a map,” Risha said.

“I can make a map too--”

Risha interrupted, “Not any map. Nok Drayen’s astrogation charts.”

“Show me.”

“I don’t have them on hand,” Risha said, “That’s our first stop. I know where they are. I have the codes to get into the vault. With Fabizian’s navicomp, we can calculate for drift and pinpoint the location. The rest is getting there and back. I need a ship for that. I can look for another, but I like your ship,” Risha brushed the bulkhead with her fingers, “She’s a good, solid ship. She can do this.”

Kirya paused over the hatch controls. “Where?” she asked at last.

“Taris.”

Kirya turned back, “No way. Taris is a six month quarantine. I’ll go broke.”

Risha tipped her head, “Anyone crazy enough to run blasters into Ord Mantell can dance circles around some backwater customs officials. You won’t be quarantined.”

Kirya mulled it over. There were any number of reasons she should kick the human off. She was Skavak’s partner. Or she was scamming Skavak, an even better reason to get rid of her. The Drayen fortune was a pipe dream. This whole deal promised to blow up leaving her in quarantined, in debt, with a broken ship and no way to fix it. And a hold full of weird, untradable junk. On the other hand...

“Taris, huh?” Kirya asked again.

“Taris,” Risha agreed.

“I’m going to regret this,” Kirya grumbled, “Okay. Taris. I want to see those charts.”

Risha stepped forward, “Deal,” she said.

“Oh, no,” Kirya objected, “No deal. Probation. Taris goes well and we’ll see. I get one whiff you’re scamming me and I’m leaving you there.”

“It’s on the level,” Risha said, “You’re going to be a rich woman.”

“All right then,” Kirya said. She glanced at the head in a jar again and shuddered, “put a tarp on that thing.”

Corso finally spoke up, “You sure about this, Captain?”

Kirya sighed, “Taris. Just Taris. After Taris we’ll talk,” she said.

Notes:

I can’t remember what it was that Fabizian upgraded on my smuggler’s ship. I also can't recall if Drayen was suposed to be dead or missing. And I’m too lazy to look for a video on youtube.

I like Risha, but I still have a hard time figuring out why Kirya didn't give her the boot before leaving Coruscant.