Dark side/light side points cap

ninoss

As original thread was moved I'm reposting it with slight changes to avoid spoilers.

There is a dark side/light side points cap.

In order to achieve dark/light side rank you need to have a cap of these points and no points of different alignment. Thus aquiring any points of opposite alignment will cause you to be unable to ever reach dark/light side rank V.

Also it also causes your moral choices from once you are capped to have no impact on your character alignment (you can only get further away from it but only to point of total neutrality).

Frankly I believe this to be a tremendous mistake. While I almost absoluteley love this game and am defending it on almost every occasion (I'm very pleased by both the game and customer support so far) I see that as a huge, enormously big flaw.

First of all it makes light side/dark side choices more about being forced to stick to predefined path, without any customization into your toon morals. At least not if you want to access highest tier alignment gier. So basically if you have ever aquired any points of ooposite alignment your toon is gimped.

Second is being unable to shift alignment once capped. A Jedi can never fall, a Sith can never get redemption.

I can understand reason for a cap. But IMO you should be able to move towards full dark/light side. It could be done just by deducting newly aquired points from your opposite alignment and then adding them to chosen one. Maybe at slower rate. Just not at percantage system as this would make reaching max impossible.

I believe there are many players who have, in some degree, mixed alignment. They won't be EVER able to use highest tier relics.

Also, one mistake on alignment option will cause them to be forever unable to use highest tier relics.

It's irreversible choice which does affect endgame play.

Share your oppinions. Maybe BW will ackowledge the problem and make some changes.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ridiculous. I totally agree with the poster.

Why do I have to be a bloodthirsty black heart barbarian or a perfect goody two shoes to fully develop my character?

Very poor design choice and unpractical.

Apparently george lucas only sees the world through black and white lenses. People are not 100% good or 100% evil in reality. Nobody is. Why should we be penalized if we arent.

This basically means I am unable to RP with my character and fully develop him/her. I will have to reroll all my toons and choose stupid one sided options.

Why? Why should we be forced into being completely evil or completely good? It makes no sense. People aren't like that. Nobody is.

This kills any sense of role playing in this game. Not a cool thing for bio-ware to do.

This basically means I am unable to RP with my character and fully develop him/her. I will have to reroll all my toons and choose stupid one sided options.

Why? Why should we be forced into being completely evil or completely good? It makes no sense. People aren't like that. Nobody is.

This kills any sense of role playing in this game. Not a cool thing for bio-ware to do.

Yeah, exactly my point.

I don't want to be forced to never choose different alignment options in order to not gimp my character. Am I supposed to roll different characters for endgame and fluff stuff? Is my chcracter supposed to be either a saint or a mindless butcher?

Why implement moral choices if it only serves gear restriction? Maybe just change it so we choose on start of a game whether we are gonna play dark or light and choose our dialog answers acordingly? :/

My only complaint is that 10000 or whatever is so not enough, nearly capped darkside points at level 41. After picking every single darkside option along the way, kinda leaves me wondering what there is to do at end game.

Yeah, removing cap would work as well.

My two main concerns are:

- I really want to see my choices still do have impact on my character. That I either become a "better" or more evil person.

- not being unable to use highest tier gear (and speeder) due to "wrong" alignment choices

Im already dark side capped at level 40.

Edited by ninoss

They're supposed to be working on Neutral Alignment things..just don't expect them to be as awsome as choosing either side. The whole EPIC part of star wars has always revolved around Dark or Light. Good or Evil...even many of the "neutral" characters like Han Solo ended up going Light Side. There's very little room atleast by Star Wars Pure design for neutral. You can flit around with your choice to play how you want..you just have to do diplomacy or a bit of extra work in order build up your dark / light points IF you want the gear.

The thing is you can't reach max if you got ANY points of opposite alignment. NEVER. You can only move further away from your chosen alignment.

I wonder if it's just a bug or actually intended.

Edited by ninoss

This is absolutely ridiculous and I really hope this is a bug. So those missions where every single option forces you to take points for the other side actually make your character weaker. I had a class mission that made me take light side points no matter what I did so I couldn't just skip it now I guess I will forever be Dark IV no matter what I do.

I had a class mission that made me take light side points no matter what I did so I couldn't just skip it now I guess I will forever be Dark IV no matter what I do.

Hmm that should never happen. Surely there was another way around it....I call BS.

Edited by BladeStrike

There is a dark side/light side points cap.

In order to achieve dark/light side rank you need to have a cap of these points and no points of different alignment. Thus aquiring any points of opposite alignment will cause you to be unable to ever reach dark/light side rank V.

This is false. I hit Dark Side 5 yesterday on my Bounty Hunter (Diplomacy!). As you approach -10,000, any LS points you have are reduced to 0. You can also then go back if you want. I am now somewhere around -8,500.

Crisis averted!

This is absolutely ridiculous and I really hope this is a bug. So those missions where every single option forces you to take points for the other side actually make your character weaker. I had a class mission that made me take light side points no matter what I did so I couldn't just skip it now I guess I will forever be Dark IV no matter what I do.

Once your total amount of points reach 10000 dark side drains light side and vise versa.

There's not much light/dark restricted gear. Very very few pieces of gear require it and they're entirely cosmetic. No end game gear requires light/dark. The best gear doesn't require any alignment cost. Also if you get light side points and you're going mostly for dark side and vise versa you can still hit 5 in your chosen alignment.

thats BS, i made into the last 2 beta weekends and thought: "know what ima go trooper", later i did a smuggler and now that im actually playing the game for real i started with a vanguard...didnt like it and rerolled a gunslinger, so i pretty much know everything there is about the starter area.

keeping that in mind i just made my way trough the story by pressing space, i made 1 tiny lil mistake and now i got 100 light side points....

if i dont get to change this im srsly ditching this game, rerolling a sixth time the same starter area and the next 20 lvls that come along with it would be no fun at all.

this is completely false, i just hit dark V 10 mins ago. I also had like 50 light side points as well, when you reach the end of dark it just deducts off whatever light side points you have.

on a related topic, i think the titles are bugged. When i hit dark V i unlocked the loathsome title, which the codex shows as a dark IV title.

Ok, I've absolutely no idea what to believe. On this forum alone since the stress-test weekend I've heard that alignment points...

...track separately, I.e. if I have 1k points in dark and 1k in light, then I will qualify for dark 1 and light 1.

..are based on the running total, so if I have 1k dark points, and 50 light I won't qualify for anything. and thus need 1050 dark points to hit dark 1 assuming no more light points are earned.

...are caped, so if I make a mistake I'll never be able to hit dark 5/light 5.

...eat into each other once one hits 10k.

...???

I've absolutely no idea what to believe at this point. People are saying one thing, and others immediately disagree/say something else. Is there some dev comment on this out there? Some facts put down on a 3rd-party website that should be reputable? (if any such exist right now) or is the game just so young and the system not well documented enough that no one really knows?

Ok, I've absolutely no idea what to believe. On this forum alone since the stress-test weekend I've heard that alignment points...

...track separately, I.e. if I have 1k points in dark and 1k in light, then I will qualify for dark 1 and light 1.

..are based on the running total, so if I have 1k dark points, and 50 light I won't qualify for anything. and thus need 1050 dark points to hit dark 1 assuming no more light points are earned.

...are caped, so if I make a mistake I'll never be able to hit dark 5/light 5.

...eat into each other once one hits 10k.

...???

I've absolutely no idea what to believe at this point. People are saying one thing, and others immediately disagree/say something else. Is there some dev comment on this out there? Some facts put down on a 3rd-party website that should be reputable? (if any such exist right now) or is the game just so young and the system not well documented enough that no one really knows?

the points subtract from each other, say you have 100 light side points, then get 100 dark side points, you will be at 0 alignment. you cannot rank up both sides, not yet anyway. bioware has said they plan on adding "grey alignment" gear for people who like to pick whatever they feel is best at that moment.

You can reach rank V even if you make opposite choices few times. I had a few (flirting) dark points, and my guardian is rank V light currently.

Sure you wont get any more light points at 10000 but if you take a step back to 9950 and then make a good choice, you are back at 10k.

I fully support the OP's position. This is a poor decision from a design point (if it exists) and should be repaired.

My trooper will be flawed as a result of this unless I stop (at level 26+) and re-roll it, according to what some are saying here.

However, others are saying that it does work, and once you reach your maximum cap on one side, it starts to remove those points from the opposite side, allowing you to move all the way TO the cap. If that's true, then there really isn't an issue after all.

Let's hope on the latter option!

Edited by Kubernetic

Please read the whole thread.. people are saying they HAVE GONE to Dark V (as I have) with lighside points. If you have 10k darkside and 200 ligh side, you will be at 9800, then you get 10200 with 200 you will have 10k and dark V.

Once you get another 100 dark points, you will be at 10k with 100 lighside etc.

I have this DONE ON THE LIVE SERVERS so please stop "theorising" and emoing about something you have no idea about :p

Edited by Starsz