TOR can go anywhere now that it is non-canon

siegeshot

Well so like the title says. TOR is non-canon with Battle of Yavin-era now. So we can do whatever we want. Some suggestions?

I'd love to see the entire TOR written as if Yavin never happens. :) Have it be canon in and of itself and start in a new direction.

We'll take Dash Rendar and Starkiller back too. :)

Edited by siegeshot

wow. Chill out. This whole "Legends" stuff is just their way to justify rushing the movie. They dont have time to check on the lore. And the current script after they booted the last one and the writer who was balls deep in the research, Michael Arndt, is probably not even finished yet. Remember Arndt was writing the script even before Disney bought Star Wars. JJ who just came out of Star Trek had no idea what Arndt was talking about thus they had "creative differences". So now they are rushing everything and are trying to prepare the target market for the tons of lore mistakes we will be seeing in the movie. Dont be surprised if you see a teleporter.

This is why there is this "Legends" thing now. Its just an excuse to justify the coming lore mistakes we will probably see in the movies. Dont let the new owners confuse you. Legends is as legit as Diet Soda. Canon is what has happened in the Star Wars Universe, and no billions of dollars will ever change that, unless you the fan take their word for it.

Basically we can all expect a movie that will not be canon. Which is fine, people do fan films all the the time. And this will be one big glorified fan film.

wow. Chill out. This whole "Legends" stuff is just their way to justify rushing the movie. They dont have time to check on the lore. And the current script after they booted the last one and the writer who was balls deep in the research, Michael Arndt, is probably not even finished yet. Remember Arndt was writing the script even before Disney bought Star Wars. JJ who just came out of Star Trek had no idea what Arndt was talking about thus they had "creative differences". So now they are rushing everything and are trying to prepare the target market for the tons of lore mistakes we will be seeing in the movie. Dont be surprised if you see a teleporter.

This is why there is this "Legends" thing now. Its just an excuse to justify the coming lore mistakes we will probably see in the movies. Dont let the new owners confuse you. Legends is as legit as Diet Soda. Canon is what has happened in the Star Wars Universe, and no billions of dollars will ever change that, unless you the fan take their word for it.

Basically we can all expect a movie that will not be canon. Which is fine, people do fan films all the the time. And this will be one big glorified fan film.

Actually Legends ain't canon anymore because it's dead now: no more new books, movies, games, etc will be created on Legends (unless you count fanfics). TOR will be the last content of its kind. New ones will be created for the real one.

Edited by Sadishist

Legends is as legit as Diet Soda. Canon is what has happened in the Star Wars Universe, and no billions of dollars will ever change that, unless you the fan take their word for it.

I'm going to vent a personal feeling here and leave it at that.

I. Don't. Want. Diet Soda.

And I especially don't like being told that what I've been 'drinking' since I was a child isn't the genuine article. I gave them my money, I enjoyed their stories, I went through every twist and turn, watched the new 'brands' and 'flavors' come out, liked some of them, and shook my head at others.

If I'm shilling out money to buy what was packaged as Dr. Pepper, consistently, constantly, for years on years, enjoying the flavor and allowing others to enjoy their own, I don't want to be told that what I was drinking all those years, consistently, constantly, wasn't Dr. Pepper after all. The 'real' Dr. Pepper will taste a little like Diet Dr. Pepper now, though. Maybe. Trust us.

This is either a terrible analogy, or I'm taking this way too emotionally right now. I'm betting the latter, but there's still probably a grain of truth in there.

Edited by QuinMantha

Actually Legends ain't canon anymore because it's dead now: no more new books, movies, games, etc will be created on Legends (unless you count fanfics). TOR will be the last content of its kind. New ones will be created for the real one.

You will find not much is going to be rewritten. Why? Because this whole legends thing is a lazy justification for the lore mistakes in the coming rushed movie, that still doesnt have a cast (though its happening) nor is the script finished. Even the executives at Lucas Films are saying they don't know what is what and confused about SWTOR, etc. The only part of the EU they're officially scrapping for now is the part that takes place during the new movies. Do you see now? There is nothing in preparation to take the place of the EU. Legends is a corporate gimmick with no weight.

Basically what ever interferes with JJ's rushed vision, is not going to be canon. It boils down to that.

So when you say nothing will be written for it, that is not true. Star Wars stories will always go on, with new writers with some of the same writers, etc. And nothing is going to change, not even Korriban. What is in danger is the timeline of the movies. Why? Because JJ fired the script writer and barely had enough time to study up after Star Trek and Robert Iger could care less as long as it does well on the first week of release.

On another note, everything else coming out now, is marketing for the new movies, from the new novels, the children books, to the rushed mobile games. It's all rushed material because it's marketing. And it's limited marketing, because Robert refused to give Kathleen that year extension after they fired Michael, who was writing the script even before Disney bought Star Wars. The next marketing will be material during the era of the movies. Star Wars will be rebooted as prequels probably by 2020. So in a way, you may be correct in that no more stories will be written for the EU. But that will change the second Iger wakes up and realizes there is a market for that, as the fans moan and groan more.

It's gonna be an interesting ride.

Edited by HiddenPalm

^This. The expanded universe is one of the things that really enamored me to Star Wars when I was a kid. I thought it was fascinating that it had it's own history and lore, that the films were only a small thread in a great fascinating tapestry spanning tens of thousands of years. In some way, the Expanded Universe was by fans, for fans, and it added to the mystique of the star wars stories as a living, breathing modern mythology. Disney deciding to "Death-Star" the expanded universe has somewhat stripped it of that magic, it is now just another intellectual property, another notch in Disney's belt. On a lighter note, I realize the stories themselves are not going anywhere and they will always be there for us to enjoy. Just my two cents.

I'm going to vent a personal feeling here and leave it at that.

I. Don't. Want. Diet Soda.

And I especially don't like being told that what I've been 'drinking' since I was a child isn't the genuine article. I gave them my money, I enjoyed their stories, I went through every twist and turn, watched the new 'brands' and 'flavors' come out, liked some of them, and shook my head at others.

If I'm shilling out money to buy what was packaged as Dr. Pepper, consistently, constantly, for years on years, enjoying the flavor and allowing others to enjoy their own, I don't want to be told that what I was drinking all those years, consistently, constantly, wasn't Dr. Pepper after all. The 'real' Dr. Pepper will taste a little like Diet Dr. Pepper now, though. Maybe. Trust us.

This is either a terrible analogy, or I'm taking this way too emotionally right now. I'm betting the latter, but there's still probably a grain of truth in there.

ok look at it this way on these forums there's the whole 1vs2 argument.

so let say there's a vader vs starkiller argument going on now some will say that Vader is the most powerful after all he is the chosen one, but others will point out that starkiller is far more powerful as he beat Vader.

now those who support the Starkiller theory may or may not be wrong they have valid points but in the end they choose to believe that he is more powerful.

So i plan to basically stick the middle finger to disney and it Sw clone and say "yeah u think that happened but your completely wrong idiots".

It's funny because Disney's mentality mirrors the of a Male Lion in Africa (No reference to Lion King). When a male lion wrestles control of a pride away from the current male (Lucas), the new male kills off every cub that the previous male ever fathered destroying his legacy (Lucas's Legacy). If the new male (Disney) doesn't kill of the other lion's legacy, the females ( Star Wars Fans) will not accept the new male as a leader and will continue to safeguard the existing legacy.

So I just have one thing to say to Disney:

"Bring on your f'ed up new canon, you try to win me over and this what you will get!"

Edited by Neltronluur

It's funny because Disney's mentality mirrors the of a Male Lion in Africa (No reference to Lion King). When a male lion wrestles control of a pride away from the current male (Lucas), the new male kills off every cub that the previous male ever fathered destroying his legacy (Lucas's Legacy). If the new male (Disney) doesn't kill of the other lion's legacy, the females ( Star Wars Fans) will not accept the new male as a leader and will continue to safeguard the existing legacy.

So I just have one thing to say to Disney:

"Bring on your f'ed up new canon, you try to win me over and this what you will get!"

first off, Disney didn't kill off anything. all non-lucas canon is now called legend instead of c-canon and all the other letter canon ratings. all of which were NEVER actually canon that lucas had to adhere to. so the EU material is in the same place now as it always has been... stories that the movies don't need to follow or acknowledge.

second, the legacy of lucas was the movies and TCW, both are canon and havnt been killed off.

third, Disney didn't replace lucas, the story group is what replaced lucas. and just like lucas, the story group is not bound to treat EU stories as canon and can totally ignore it all if they choose to, just like lucas did.

Say what you want but it is a slap in the face to the fans. Yes, Lucas never agreed to make the EU canon, so at any time he could ultimately decide the fate of SW. But face it, if authors like Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole hadn't busted their asses and brought some legitimacy to the IP again, we'd all be on WoW right now instead of that galaxy far, far away. For Disney to come out and say that all the stories, lore, and hard work which kept SW such an interesting IP is basically BS feels a bit cheap. On top of it, the fact that its because they're being lazy and not researching up on what's already been thought out just shows how much they give a crap about the universe. And they killed Thrawn off like he never existed. Can't forgive that ****.....

Say what you want but it is a slap in the face to the fans. Yes, Lucas never agreed to make the EU canon, so at any time he could ultimately decide the fate of SW. But face it, if authors like Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole hadn't busted their asses and brought some legitimacy to the IP again, we'd all be on WoW right now instead of that galaxy far, far away. For Disney to come out and say that all the stories, lore, and hard work which kept SW such an interesting IP is basically BS feels a bit cheap. On top of it, the fact that its because they're being lazy and not researching up on what's already been thought out just shows how much they give a crap about the universe. And they killed Thrawn off like he never existed. Can't forgive that ****.....

pretty sure zahn and the other EU authors got paid and continue to get paid and will continue to get paid since their books will still be in print and sold.

you are just looking for something to be outraged about. you can say what you want and pretend like someone slapped you in the face, but it wont change the FACT that "legends" isn't any less important than c-canon was because the ONLY canon that matter was what lucas created. no new movie or TV show was ever going to treat the EU like it true canon, regardless if it was lucas creating the content or if it is the story group creating it.

Okay since some of you honestly don't seem to get it...let me post here what I posted in a similar thread

Look, the EU wasn't exactly ever true canon to begin with. Lucas stated idk how many times that it wasn't done in the direction he would have taken it. It was just there as a placeholder since at the time EP VII wasn't even going to happen. But now that it is, the decision to deem 35+ years of books and games in the EU non-canon was done to give the guys at Lucasfilm, JJ Abrams, Disney, and Lawrence Kasden a little more room with the creative freedom. I mean think about it, they had two choices and either one was going to piss fans off. Do they keep the characters from the books that honestly not every Star Wars fan has had access to, and confuse the hell out of people who don't know who said characters are, on top of piss off fans of say Mara Jade by screwing her up entirely?

But what of the second route? Where they say "Nope it all goes and this is how it really goes?" Yes it pissed off fans of the books as well as the games, but from a creative freedom standpoint, as well as a means to draw new fans into the SW fandom, it was honestly..the better choice. Either way, someone was going to get alienated in the fandom, and it's best to alienate the fans of the books in this case. Besides that, in the tweet from Jennifer Heddle, she herself said not to take anything she says regarding the videogames seriously, especially concerning TOR since it's a huge gray area. The new Story Group in charge of canon could very well still say this game is canon, which in turn would..honestly make KOTOR canon again, or they can say no it's not and you know what, it wouldn't hurt anything? Why, because if you truly enjoy the game, it shouldn't matter if it is canon or not.

In today's livestream they confirmed that they have freedom in writing the plot, so the story group does not constraint them. :rak_01:

My opinion: It doesn't matter whether the game is canon or not. It is good to known that they are not restricted by anything. It's still fun to play and I'm looking forward to the new story arcs.

Edited by PavSalco