A request to ace pilots

Grozni

This isn't a terrible FPS game. This is a space combat game. The difference is that GSF is fun but the learning curve is enormous, and thus only a limited number of skills carry over between the two.

FPSes also have significantly less wait time between death and return to action, from what I've seen -- also something I addressed. This kind of almost justifies awful TTK standards.

You forget the most important difference: in an FPS, you move along the ground,essentially in two dimensions. In any flight sim, you move in three dimensions. People need to stop making this derp-worthy comparison.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forget the most important difference: in an FPS, you move along the ground,essentially in two dimensions. In any flight sim, you move in three dimensions. People need to stop making this derp-worthy comparison.

Right. I learned three-dimensional warfare the hard way : Through Homeworld. You know, that classic RTS game. Still very much recomended to anyone !

I think there's a lot of merit in what the OP is saying, and some of the top pilots on TRE do various things to stop a match being a faceroll for new players in order to try to not discourage them from queuing again. Things I've seen people do in this circumstance include (but are not limited to) - refrain from using abilities and missiles: blasters and boost only, choose their weakest ship, choose the ship they are worst with (my favourite, as it's practice as well as giving a fighting chance), go dogfighting in bombers, avoid power ups (I've seen someone chastised for picking up a DO when against 2-shippers as well) through to actually, shock horror, letting them get kills.

Letting a weak team have a sat is very common as well.

This is a fairly big issue on TRE and many top players are well aware of it - most people have alts, and there are some great pilots that at least mainly fly imp, but nonetheless on average imps are weak compared to reps, and quite a lot of good pilots are happy to impose some restriction on themselves in the interests of better balance in the future. Win, but not faceroll this game right now so you can have a better chance at more close, tense, hard-fought matches later.

That all said, it's completely personal choice and attitude. I don't think anyone can tell anyone to do this. Encourage to, yes, but some people are always going to say no, for whatever reason, and there's nothing you can do to stop that, or talk them out of it. I think that's a shame, but it is what it is.

The other side of that coin is that some people will happily bash their head against walls of ace-premades to get better - new players whom defeat encourages more than victory. I think they're quite a bit more rare than the aces that are willing to restrain themselves, though, and the expectation that new players should wade through dozens of facerolls at the start of their GSFing career is not a realistic one - it will happen sometimes, but most won't do it.

I will say that as the experienced players, it falls to the aces to lead the community from the front. Encouraging new players is part of that. Anyone that can do it is within their rights to sit on top of thousands of games experience and farm new players, saying 'it's PVP', 'red is dead', 'why should I handicap myself?'. All that's true, but you could do much better for your GSF community than that.

Edited by MDVZ

Encouraging new players is part of that.

If we don't then players are going to be turned off very quickly by getting continually stomped on - and less players means that bioware are less inclined to invest time and resources into developing new maps, ships and other fun stuff.

Ideas such as stock nights are fantastic, as are those players who take time out to inform and encourage the less experienced players on their server.

You don't want to go too easy on them, but, you know, fly casual...

Edited by FBPL

As a relatively new player in GSF (a few weeks), I'm of a different mindset. I say to 'ace' pilots... BRING IT.

I find the best way to learn to get better at this type of warfare is to play with AND against the best. It forces you to adapt and practice various builds and tactics. Not to mention, you have to invest time into the dailies and weeklies to upgrade your ship anyway.

The only problem I have is with the 5% of the matches I've experienced that I suspect have exploits done in them. For example, in team deathmatch, there was an enemy fleet of all bombers and gunships, camping right on our spawn point, spamming mines and drones amidst the capital ships that should have maintained a no-fly zone against the enemy. And, the times I inexplicably spawned with exactly 1/2 shields and 1/2 hull health in coincidentally one-sided matches.

These could just be 'bugs', not 'hackers', as some in-game players have suggested, but those are the kinds of things that turn off potential new pilots from joining for the long term, which would also hurt SWTOR in the long run, too.

Other than that, GSF definitely has a learning curve to adapt to, but once it clicks, it really is a lot of fun. I went from ending matches with disappointing stats 4 weeks ago to yesterday getting my best match in a Pike at 11 kills, 17 assists, 2 deaths, over 44k damage! If anything else, it really is satisfying to see the opposing top ranked pilot with a few deaths, knowing at least one was by my hand, even if it is minimal consolation to a team defeat.

Oh, by the way... Having Guss as co-pilot certainly lightens up the mood even in impending defeat...

(Initiate evasive maneuver) - "Hold on to your lunch!"

Edited by AztecSoul

So awesome attitude man, glad you are having fun with it.

One note though, likely not a hack or a bug. You probably just spawned into a mess of mines / drones and got rocked a bit before you know what hit ya.

Death match games used to have the capital ship fight in the past, but that was turned off because the other team is the objective. I agree with them turning it off for that reason. Before this, a bunch of GS would sit on the capital ship and plink from the safety of the cap ship turrets. Made for boring, drawn out matches. I'm not saying that camping spawns doesn't suck or anything... because it does... but there are two other spawns to choose from when it happens.

But coo bud, see you in the skies.