Suddenly New Guild Leader

OwenP

One of my characters was suddenly promoted to full guild leader without warning (not even sure when it happened) and I wasn't even an officer or any rank higher than the second lower rank...:eek:

Now I've assumed that the guild is somehow leaderless for this to happen and since I was not heavily involved in the guild to start with I have no idea who the former guild leader was. It took me 2 days to realise I could check on when a member had last logged in and I see most of the 85 or so members haven't played in over a month, some over 3 months.

I've not seen any players logged in when I've gone to check on the guild status of late though I did notice a couple of people logged in a day or so ago. I posted the guild note to ask for members to contact me. The guild bank has one tab and mostly low level greens with very little credits saved, so I guess someone must have already cleared house before my sudden rise to the top.

TL;DR:

My question is: has anyone got any advise or suggestions? I'm a casual player and find the whole guild thing quite daunting. What to do next? :confused:

One of my characters was suddenly promoted to full guild leader without warning (not even sure when it happened) and I wasn't even an officer or any rank higher than the second lower rank...:eek:

Now I've assumed that the guild is somehow leaderless for this to happen and since I was not heavily involved in the guild to start with I have no idea who the former guild leader was. It took me 2 days to realise I could check on when a member had last logged in and I see most of the 85 or so members haven't played in over a month, some over 3 months.

I've not seen any players logged in when I've gone to check on the guild status of late though I did notice a couple of people logged in a day or so ago. I posted the guild note to ask for members to contact me. The guild bank has one tab and mostly low level greens with very little credits saved, so I guess someone must have already cleared house before my sudden rise to the top.

TL;DR:

My question is: has anyone got any advise or suggestions? I'm a casual player and find the whole guild thing quite daunting. What to do next? :confused:

How many members? How many concurrent members? If you don't want to run the guild you don't have to, just leave.

Best bet is to talk to your members

Explain whats up, tell them a short term goal/vision

Talk to existing Officers and Guild vets

Be Open,

However with no one logging in, a dead guild is a dead guild/

You can either be pro actiive and make the guild your vision.

Dont do it if you dont want it, guild leaders like that ruin the guild experience

Edited by Darka

Most likely your guild leader and other guildies above didn't log in for over 8 weeks, when the new update hit you were the senior guild member online so you got a promotion.

Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated

11/15/2012

General

•The names of guilds that are inactive (any guild that has had no members log in for 8 weeks) will now be released for use by new guilds. If a guild member logs back in once a name is released, that guild member can reclaim the guild's name if it has not been taken. If the name has been taken, the guild will be granted a free rename.

•If no member of a guild logs in for 8 weeks, the next guild member to log in will be promoted to Guild Leader.

Whether or not it was intentional I don't know, but that's probaby how it went down.

That's my plan for anyone that hasn't logged in for the past month or more. Just got promoted myself. Time to do some Thanksgiving cleaning before the family comes over. :rak_03::rak_03:

Whoa Whoa Whoa :) Slow down there guys.

Similar thing happened to me. I was recruited into a guild that was basically a mirror for the alts of the main players on the Pub side. The guy who recruited me got promoted to GL and we got to talking about being co-founders and building it back up in our image.

Here the thing to know:

IT IS A LOT OF FREAKING WORK

No one wants to join a super small guild (unless you are real life friends) as schedules rarely match up, lots of players hardly log on even if they tell you they will, you'll likely find yourself to be the only one who logs on until you can manage to find 1 -2 core officers who are willing to put in their time both in keeping members from leaving and spending their in-game time helping others do their boring class missions and under level quests.

If the guild has any hope of being viable in the end game you need to get yourself a vent (start with 10 man) which allows over-the-internet voice communication.... players expect a guild bank that not only has a member requirement but also costs 600k for the first cargo area and a million for the next. And of course money doesn’t magically spawn in your guild bank so the leadership is responsible for filling it.

While a webpage isn’t mandatory, they can serve important functions such as a easy place to keep important guild activities plotted on a calendar as to help optimize players getting together.

You also will be expected to know a decent amount about the game, FPs, classes, etc. as players will look to you for that info.... it can turn more into a job than a guild.

We were able to take our 2-man guild and turn it into 25 or 26 active members complete with tanks, healers, rdps, mdps and a wide range of crew skills. We put our guild bank up, Vent up, and website up.... it took almost 4 months to get where we are today and a LOT of time commitment.

So basically, if running a guild isn’t something you want to do (IF you just think its cool you have a guild and that you're a guild leader) let me give you some advice that will save you a lot of time:

Drop out, find another guild where players take care of all that kind of "unfun" stuff and you just worry about enjoying the game. Think hard on it, and know what you're getting into.

Thanks Sumuser, great advice.

While I'd love to put my time into running a guild and getting new players interested in playing with groups, I don't think I can afford to rebuild this one from where it is (time & money). I think I'll drop out and wish the next random GL luck.

Cheers. :ph_thank_you:

I didn't read all the posts so apologies if this has been mentioned.

Found this in the patch notes for 1.5 which might explain why you find yourself in this position:

General

The names of guilds that are inactive (any guild that has had no members log in for 8 weeks) will now be released for use by new guilds. If a guild member logs back in once a name is released, that guild member can reclaim the guild's name if it has not been taken. If the name has been taken, the guild will be granted a free rename.

If no member of a guild logs in for 8 weeks, the next guild member to log in will be promoted to Guild Leader.