Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a systems engineer by trade, i often encounter people who are impacted by a technical outage. I'd say that often, the following questions are usually asked.

1. What exactly is the problem?

2. When can i expect it to be fixed?

3. What are you doing to fix it?

4. How did this happen?

5. What do i do now?

All of these questions are irrelevant when asked by the end user. Let me explain:

1. What are you hoping to gain from this? Are you going to diagnose the problem better than the engineers who are implementing it? Are you going to some how figure out what they can't? This information is pointless in the hands of the powerless.

2. This is a valid question for planning, but is setting the stage to be disappointed. Problems don't come in neatly packaged containers with cooldowns and minute-by-minute updates. If i decline to tell you a timeline, then you'll be upset. If i guess at a timeline and that time passes, you'll be upset. Committing to a timeline means that i now have to hold myself and any other technicians accountable for a timeline i may not have been prepared to meet. None of these situations are conducive to fixing problems.

3. Often, this is just like #1. Why is this a concern for the end user? Your curiosity is misplaced in the midst of a problem.

4. Root cause analysis is something that we do as engineers all the time. This doesn't involve the end user unless the problem originated from the end user. Nevermind that answering this question is pure speculation, 9 times out of 10, an end user wouldn't understand it even if the answer was correct. What purpose does it serve to explain a technical root cause to a person who will never again care about it once they know? So that they can further critique the process from the outside without understanding it?

5. The answer to this is similarly irrelevant. Asking it denotes two sub-problems. First, anything that an engineer tells you to do will be unacceptable, if it's not the thing that you want to do. And second, it isn't the engineer's job to tell you what to do with your life when you can't have what you want. Go outside, read a book, work on something else, etc. You knew this answer before it was asked.

I'm posting this here because i have seen these questions in varying flavors come from swtor players. Yes, you have the right to feel a type of way if you are a subscriber and you aren't playing the game when you should be. Yes, you have the right to post on here with your opinions. But when you back the developers into a corner with your incessant questions that delve into areas you have no business delving into, you're only gumming up the process.

Let them work, it'll be up soon. Relax.

Just my two credits.

:D

i have to say something here. alot of the people in this thread have decided to try to crucify eric and NONE of this is his fault. hes not a coder, hes just a CSR. this means that he is the face (or in this case typed words) of the developers. this IS the fault of the developers that did not properly test their code. however, everyone makes mistakes and noone should be getting angry over a game. now i do agree that everyone should be compensated somehow, and if they cant extend the double xp event, then just send everyone enough command/xp boosts to cover the same amount of downtime (ie if downtime ends up being 24 hours, then send all level 70s 8 superior command boosts, as they last 3 hours each iirc). the less than 70s do the same thing but with xp boosts. just my 2 credits, that way everyone feels like they did lose any double xp time.

• Dev Post

Alright folks, I have some updates for you.

Initial testing of the fix is looking very promising. The strange issues that you saw (such as missing components on the interface) are not present and everything appears to be working as it should once again. This is not a guarantee as we haven't checked everything, but it is a great start.

With that in mind, we have begun the process of taking the fixed patch and moving it to the live servers. This process will take around 2 hours. Then, we need to verify that everything remained stable and is still working as intended.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as I have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

Basic sociology. The mob mentality will not be denied. Then, when the mob can't get to the intended target, they find a new one. Sort of like invading Castle Frankenstein. If you can't breach the walls to burn the monster and doctor, you instead burn the farm-house and fields.

Which is exactly why I don't trust a true democracy. The herd/mob mentality makes people do very strange, dangerous and/or foolish things.

As for feeling like a foreigner, yup, same way in my little town. If you weren't born here you are "one of those people". ;)

It is mob mentality and I am not a fan of it. I prefer thinking things through, considering the facts and going from there before hefting my pitchfork and foaming.

I'm called "auslander" (foreigner) which tickles me since it sounds so close to outlander.

Alright, fair consensus seems to stop doing codes. I hear you on them being shareable like the Cantina code is optimal, but it isn't how they work currently. With that in mind I am going to hold off on it. Again, I apologize if people felt slighted, I only meant it is as a fun downtime killer! I will be more sensitive to that in the future.

Again, we are actively moving towards a possible fix now. We then need to test it to ensure it corrected the issues of this morning. I will pass on updates as I have them.

-eric

Standard practice in many games when there are long problems in the game - the developers give players compensation. And that's okay! But I don't see any messages in the developer tracker about the upcoming apology and compensation for players. Games are created primarily for players, not for bullying on the forum over the players and handouts as a bone for the dog in the form of 15 codes to pass the time.

and Eric while your at it how about you add training dummies for strongholds, dummies that we can place where ever we like, that would be neat considering we all spend so much time in them, it is a pain to keep going to your ship to parse, when you could just go to the next room and have no load screen.

Initial testing of the fix is looking very promising. The strange issues that you saw (such as missing components on the interface) are not present and everything appears to be working as it should once again. This is not a guarantee as we haven't checked everything, but it is a great start.

With that in mind, we have begun the process of taking the fixed patch and moving it to the live servers. This process will take around 2 hours. Then, we need to verify that everything remained stable and is still working as intended.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as I have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

Okay, synchronize your watches ... :p

alright folks, i have some updates for you.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as i have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

Ouch! Guess I'll check back in 5:30 PM (Pacific Time)

Edited by Banthabreeder

-eric

Well, at least I can properly allocate my time now instead of hitting 'Refresh' on the server page in the hopes of playing today.

Thanks.

-eric

if you are in Europe the patch will go live in the middle of the night on friday :D:D:D:D

why does almost every one want the 450cc i just want the taun fawn XD

i'm trying since 2012 to get that little thing :eek: still no luck

when the codes came up i was so happy until none worked ones again to slow :( maybe more luck next time:rolleyes: