Time for a PvP Fix

fungihoujo

I am giving it until Makeb lands and the 5 extra levels and see if they shock the hell out of me and actually fix this cluster **** of game balance. If not then I will see about some other game. Warzones are populated almost exclusively with smashfreaks and maruaders ttk is so low that you mine as well stay in spawn and talk **** to the other team.

I can't see any class balance being done with Makeb, period. I see 2 new abilities per class likely- but, I'd put a million credits bet on the sorc abilities being garbage compared to whatever they give marauders. Who knows what absurd thing mara will get next- death lasers that one shot people from 30 yards, or an instant aoe that deals 8k auto crit dam-- wait a second...

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My latest gripe with the class is how the overload root works.

Currently the root on overload is fine for a hyrbid sorc player, but as one of the few lightning sorc players in pvp I feel I must shed light on the lack of foresight regarding this move.

Currently global cooldowns are 1.5 seconds and the root on overload gives you 2 seconds before the target's root breaks from damage. Since every single sorcerer spec requires affliction to be on the target to maximize damage, generally this root will break around the 2-2.7 second area. Additionally overload only knocks enemies back 5 meters. Often enough an enemy is close enough to electrocute/electrodart/force chock so this cooldown is often nullified of its purpose. That point aside the knock-back root is designed to allow the sorcerer to get off a few casts.

This is also where the knockback fails. Given that the global cooldown is 1.5 seconds, this means you only have 1.5 seconds at best (depending on latency) to get a cast off before the root can start breaking from your own dot. Sadly the only move quick enough to do that is lightning strike, which is perhaps the worst casted move in the game. If you try to cast crushing darkness or thundering blast you will often be interrupted by force charge before you can even get the cast off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres my buff idea

Overload knocks back opponents 10 meters baseline for the sorcerer class.

Lightning tree

-Overload knocks back an additional 5 meters if the target is affected by affliction. In addition the root will not break from your own dot damage until the 3 second. All other damage still applies to breaking the root after 2 seconds.

Madness

Overload also slows the affected enemies 35% for 4 seconds additionally Dots are 5% more likely to crit on the slowed targets

They can't take anything out that makes us feared because no one fears sorcs/sages at this point in the game. We are the weakest link. I agree with a lot of post here and one of them is if there is no fix for our class by the update I will be leaving as well I'm not even buying it until we see some changes. 8 months of smash is long enough and it's not just smash it's our class as a whole we have been weak and underpowered for over 8 months now a lot of the best players of this class have left the game because of the nerfs and more are going to follow.

I hate to put this on Bio Ware but they really have just let this go far to long. You made a class Sith Warrio/Jedi Knight have the ability to hit 8k+ 5 person Aoe that is an auto crit on force leap and obiterate and nerfed Sorc/Sages to the point where they are the weakest at dps weakest in healing and easiest to kill in Warzones.

Yoda and Palpatine we are not.

I can't see any class balance being done with Makeb, period. I see 2 new abilities per class likely- but, I'd put a million credits bet on the sorc abilities being garbage compared to whatever they give marauders. Who knows what absurd thing mara will get next- death lasers that one shot people from 30 yards, or an instant aoe that deals 8k auto crit dam-- wait a second...

Haha...

I'm more afraid they'll give more roots to the two other mara trees, which will wreck all four classes I've leveled to 50 (carnage mara, dps sorc, assault van, op heals). That would present a far bigger problem for three of those than giving maras another big damager, while making the carnage spec obsolete.

Heres my buff idea

Overload knocks back opponents 10 meters baseline for the sorcerer class.

Lightning tree

-Overload knocks back an additional 5 meters if the target is affected by affliction. In addition the root will not break from your own dot damage until the 3 second. All other damage still applies to breaking the root after 2 seconds.

Madness

Overload also slows the affected enemies 35% for 4 seconds additionally Dots are 5% more likely to crit on the slowed targets

Like these ideas.

Someone else in another thread had the idea that creeping terror would do the same damage it does now over 9 seconds, which I really, really like.

What kind of utility would make sense for Sorcs?

Speed Increase?

Healing Received Increase

DMG increase to group

DMG increase on target

Purge when bubble breaks

dmg reduction when bubble breaks

There's a lot they could do.

Edited by Anishor

What kind of utility would make sense for Sorcs?

Speed Increase?

Healing Received Increase

DMG increase to group

DMG increase on target

Purge when bubble breaks

dmg reduction when bubble breaks

There's a lot they could do.

All not bad ideas. Also

Interupt immunity while static barrier is up

Root immunity for 4 seconds after static barrier is cast

Unnatural preservation always crits for dps specs

I'm going to stick with- the last 2 rows of talents need a big work over for all three trees- corruption's force regen needs to be fixed big time, and all specs need better CC handling/mobility if we're expected to survive without any defensives and with such poor damage mitigation.

BW needs to understand people are already pissed about this class- very few people are happy about the state of it in threads like this- and in the feedback thread 9 out of 10 people say they feel this class is a free kill in pvp.

If they nerf the stun bubble and don't do anything for us in return- what few people remaining are gone. Nobody likes being nerfed- but when you're playing one of the weakest classes in the game, getting a huge nerf is pretty much the last straw for a large number of people.

And you already know sorcs will leave in large numbers if you screw them over BW- they did so in 1.2. Screw us again and that's not just screwing us- that's telling us you have zero intention of ever trying to do something for this class to make it balanced again.

I've already made 2-3 long posts here.I would like to add a small one.

After 2 months of my return in the game started seeing things more clearly now.As much as Bioware buffs us....it won't mean anything if there won't be balances in other classes aswell.

I don't want to talk about warriors or snipers because in my opinion they are dps classes,they have to hit hard as they can't do anything else than dpsing,and in mmos there will always be imbalances between such classes.This has happened in the past in many games and devs won't avoid having more in the future.

BUT what bothers me more in swtor is the dmg some tanking classes can put out.It has happened in the past with juggs and assasins and it's happening again with powertecs/vanguards despite their sooooo much qqed nerf.

If the devs like having an AC that not only can defend objectives on its own even against 2 players but being able to kill aswell then gg devs.This is what breaks pvp.Keep it as it is and watch subs dropping more.I don't think that you expect to keep more ppl just from lvling or from your poor pve.

Edited by Darkallex

After 2 months of my return in the game started seeing things more clearly now.As much as Bioware buffs us....it won't mean anything if there won't be balances in other classes aswell.

I don't want to talk about warriors or snipers because in my opinion they are dps classes,they have to hit hard as they can't do anything else than dpsing,and in mmos there will always be imbalances between such classes.This has happened in the past in many games and devs won't avoid having more in the future.

BUT what bothers me more in swtor is the dmg some tanking classes can put out.It has happened in the past with juggs and assasins and it's happening again with powertecs/vanguards despite their sooooo much qqed nerf.

If the devs like having an AC that not only can defend objectives on its own even against 2 players but being able to kill aswell then gg devs.This is what breaks pvp.Keep it as it is and watch subs dropping more.I don't think that you expect to keep more ppl just from lvling or from your poor pve.

Thing is- PT pyro are much, much squishier than marauders and even snipers are- which in itself is absurd. Fine- give snipers/mara the best burst in the game, but we can't say 'because that's all they do' when they also have the best defensive ability in the game too. Sure, they can't taunt- but they tank far better than tank specs in dps- so that can't be used an excuse for making those classes worse.

I think if sorcs, ops and mercs had a few buffs- you wouldn't notice juggs/sins/PT imbalances because they are actually middle of the road and feel like they're where they should be (bit too much damage, but frankly other than the 3 garbage classes, everyone has insane TTK in this game, that's another problem)- snipers are also there because they, sure, have some good defensive, CC and burst damage- but they also have easily exploited weaknesses- such as being easiest to LoS and most reliant on sitting still.

Marauders just don't have a weakness- insane damage, great debuffs, great group utility buff, best roots in the game, great CC otherwise, mobility enhancing abilities, and several defensives which are some of the best in the game. It is way too much- and as a result, almost everyone is playing them. Even the marauders themselves in their numerous 'how to beat a marauder' guides always end up saying you need to have it be 2v1 in your favour to beat a marauder reliably.

Everyone else relies very heavily on other classes- mara need to rely on tank taunts and healer heals to stay alive- not on insane mobility, top end CC and rediculous defensives- until that happens they'll remain the god class in this game no matter what you do to the other classes.

PT tanks don't do much damage in comparison to Sin tanks in the 50 bracket. They probably do more than full jugg tanks, but not jugg hybrids either. And, considering they're heavily reliant on shielding attacks and have crap DCs...and most pvp specs use unshieldable skills, Van/PT tanks are likely the squishiest of any tank spec (in pvp at least).

I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but specced tank, all I've found my Vanguard good for is guarding nodes and pulling ball carriers into the fire. And Sins do both of those things--and do the first thing way better. It's not that it's a terrible class to play. But it's certainly the weakest of its type.

I mean, I did do about average damage for a DPS while specced TANK in the lowbies, but that didn't seem to scale very well once gear was a factor.

I think if sorcs, ops and mercs had a few buffs- you wouldn't notice juggs/sins/PT imbalances because they are actually middle of the road and feel like they're where they should be (bit too much damage, but frankly other than the 3 garbage classes, everyone has insane TTK in this game, that's another problem)- snipers are also there because they, sure, have some good defensive, CC and burst damage- but they also have easily exploited weaknesses- such as being easiest to LoS and most reliant on sitting still.

There's wisdom in this.

Right now, after the Pyro nerfs and the addition of the sorc self-heal instant (don't laugh), all three sorc DPS specs can win a duel with a pyro (yes, even 31 point lightning) as long as force speed, stunbreak and one of electrocute or overload are all up. Didn't used to be the case. Used to be only madness could win and only if they were perfect and the Pyro got unlucky with crits and procs.

And Snipers have a rather obvious achilles heal that can be exploited.

One thing about DPS operatives though. Problem with them isn't that concealment's a bad spec....it's that it's freaking difficult to use well...but anyone who's good enough to do so is a damned nightmare to see in a warzone. The skill-cap on the class needs to be reduced more than the class needs a buff. And energy management doesn't make sense in any spec but heals, far as I'm concerned.

And a final note about marauders. Carnage, and only carnage, is somewhat balanced. They're a death sentence to sorcs (maybe not the bubblestunner), but, unless they're being hit with aoe, they don't take damage well even -with- the cooldowns. True glass cannon. And that resolve change blasted them bad. Whitebar never comes anymore.

Still, I don't see why it wouldn't be fair to remove, for instance, obfuscate from their toolbox. I'd say camo instead, but they kinda need that in raids.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

There's wisdom in this.

Right now, after the Pyro nerfs and the addition of the sorc self-heal instant (don't laugh), all three sorc DPS specs can win a duel with a pyro (yes, even 31 point lightning) as long as force speed, stunbreak and one of electrocute or overload are all up. Didn't used to be the case. Used to be only madness could win and only if they were perfect and the Pyro got unlucky with crits and procs.

Lol no. My Powertech, pyro spec hit 50 not long ago, and even in recruit gear, WH main/offhand and some high end PvE gear (like 800 expertise) I was melting sages with ease. The only ones surviving were full WH and only then by the skin of their teeth. If anything the range on PT was nerfed but the change in unlinking the cooldown of Incendiary Missile and Thermal Detonator, means they are actually even "burstier" now.

Personally I would prefer our defensive options be improved rather than take away the abilities of others. The insane burst in this game would be fine assuming everyone had marauder quality cooldowns.

Never going to happen, and marauders are just off the charts defensively in PvP environment. Nor does it seem they have any intention of changing the way things function in wzs, like undying rage giving 50% damage reduction (for instance) or making it so a marauder can't be healed whilst in this mode

There's too much here to comment on, but I noticed a lot of people repeating "the bubble is getting nerfed. BW already said so." So I figured that could use some clarification.

We're currently undergoing a lot of class rebalance for a future major patch, so it's an understatement to say that things aren't locked down yet. However, the problem with Backlash (Lightning's incapacitate on Static Barrier) is mostly that it can be applied to any target, making an entire team of allies stun-bubbled. Since this is such great utility for the Lightning Sorcerer, we don't want to change the effect of Backlash, but we are considering making the Backlash effect only apply to the original caster - so you only get a Backlash when you put your Static Barrier on yourself.

That's just the current idea. We don't have any plans on making Static Barrier or Backlash worse than it currently is for the Sorcerer that uses it.

We're aware that even this change lowers the amount of group support Lightning offers, so that's something we have to figure out before we can pull the trigger on Backlash.

I wish I could tell you guys more, but there isn't enough locked down yet. Rest assured, it's not as simple as "too good - nerf. Next."

For people who said they could not see the EA/BW response.

Lol no. My Powertech, pyro spec hit 50 not long ago, and even in recruit gear, WH main/offhand and some high end PvE gear (like 800 expertise) I was melting sages with ease. The only ones surviving were full WH and only then by the skin of their teeth. If anything the range on PT was nerfed but the change in unlinking the cooldown of Incendiary Missile and Thermal Detonator, means they are actually even "burstier" now.

Then those sages didn't understand how to use distance. DPS Sage v Pyro, 1 v 1 is now a matchup the former should never lose no matter what spec they are.

There's wisdom in this.

And Snipers have a rather obvious achilles heal that can be exploited.

One thing about DPS operatives though. Problem with them isn't that concealment's a bad spec....it's that it's freaking difficult to use well...but anyone who's good enough to do so is a damned nightmare to see in a warzone. The skill-cap on the class needs to be reduced more than the class needs a buff. And energy management doesn't make sense in any spec but heals, far as I'm concerned.

And a final note about marauders. Carnage, and only carnage, is somewhat balanced. They're a death sentence to sorcs (maybe not the bubblestunner), but, unless they're being hit with aoe, they don't take damage well even -with- the cooldowns. True glass cannon. And that resolve change blasted them bad. Whitebar never comes anymore.

Still, I don't see why it wouldn't be fair to remove, for instance, obfuscate from their toolbox. I'd say camo instead, but they kinda need that in raids.

Make camo simply a 100% threat drop that has no use in pvp- most other dps classes have a similar threat drop that has zero use in pvp- put camo stealth instead as a high tree talent in annihilation.

One of the biggest problems is that marauders get all the utility at baseline that almost everyone else has to spec into to get only part of it.

Whereas sorcs are the opposite.

Everyone else who has a mez- instant, and also aoe. Us? Cast time, single target- has to spec to be instant.

Zero baseline CC immunity of any kind- only things that can be specced into are some interrupt immunity in lightning (which is a terrible tree for pvp so thus is never used anyway), and root immunity for 2 seconds on force speed in corruption... and either you lose out on a decent amount of healing to get interrupt immunity- or you lose out on a lot of damage to get root break. Not to mention- other than mercs, you can't interrupt anyone else for 99% of their abilities anyway, so we also have the weakness of being insanely prone to being locked out of casting.

Mobility- other classes can move while using almost all their abilities, have speed bonuses that are in good trees, have gap closers on shorter CDs than force speed, that are harder/impossible to counter whereas force speed can be countered often by 2 or more abilities per class. Meaning- you cannot get away, and if you do it is effortless to catch back up for your pursuer.

Thing is- we've been playing at such a handicap for so long, that if we were ever balanced up to the state of PTs, sins, juggs and snipers we'd look rediculous... and if marauders were ever balanced down to the state of those classes they'd all be in for a rude awakening when suddenly 90% of them suck.

Some ppl are just staring at the tree and miss the whole wood as we say in my country.

I wasn't talking here about tank classes pulling out that dmg in tank specs BUT what I was trying to mention is that those classes have dps trees which,when chosen,can pull out more dmg than pure dps classes and still keep some of the basic reductions/avoidances/utilities of their main class.So something has to change on that...either being more vulnerable or do less dps.

Edited by Darkallex

Some ppl are just staring at the tree and miss the whole wood as we say in my country.

I wasn't talking here about tank classes pulling out that dmg in tank specs BUT what I was trying to mention is that those classes have dps trees which,when chosen,can pull out more dmg than pure dps classes and still keep some of the basic reductions/avoidances/utilities of their main class.So something has to change on that...either being more vulnerable or do less dps.

That's true to a degree- but snipers/marauders aren't any worse off for defensive ability or damage than any tank class in dps gear.

That said- for juggernauts, CC immunity after a leap needs to be put high enough into the tree that a smash jugg can't get it by simply sacrificing force crush- that's a big issue right now, that not only can they deal 8k aoe crit smashes regularly- but since they're immune to all CC while they do it there's literally zero way to defend yourself/counter it.

Having it attainable with 12 points makes it so- yes, you must sacrifice crush... but for CC immunity/20% bonus mitigation for a third of the time- including the most important times/when people instinctively want/need to CC you after a leap- well worth it.

Other than that though... PTs for example are extremely fragile in pyrotech spec- much more so than marauders.

Not to say a lot of these classes couldn't afford to lose a bit of damage anyway.

I think- as sorcs are the class that takes by far the most damage since they have no mitigation- they should get the benefit of avoiding mitigation in turn. Sorcs have no armour penetration, yet almost all our abilities are mitigated by armour- in other games, mages/warlocks get the lightest armour but in turn their attacks deal damage which isn't mitigated.

Ours not only is mitigated- but due to a lack of penetration and heavy reliance on energy damage, we're actually one of the most mitigated classes in the game.

How does that make any sense at all?

What do we have that avoids mitigation? Affliction does, but that's very small damage. Creep terror does- but again, small damage, in a full spec that often isn't used... and it's main purpose isn't the dot, but the root. Thundering Blast does- but it's at the top of lightning, which isn't used as a pure tree, period, in pvp.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with death field- so our mitigation is a 3k, 5k on crit 3 target aoe on a 15 second CD- that's our only armour penetration.

Truth is- crushing should be internal. All lightning abilities should be elemental. That alone wouldn't do much if anything to our damage in operations, while making us able to be far more viable against tanks and marauders in pvp- if we have to deal with having almost no armour, we should benefit by being able to penetrate other's armour in turn.

Or- in lightning have Subversion also grant 20% armour penetration/stack.

Crushing should definitely be internal damage at the least... we're the one class that has to deal with dots that don't penetrate did you know that?

Sniper dots build- lethality, all internal, and even cull does extra internal damage.

Marauder dots build- annihilation, all internal.

PT pyrotech- all elemental, and even rail shot which isn't gets near full armour penetration... and then flame thrower, flame burst, etc....

I can't really speak for ops/mercs- but I think you get the picture.

Sorc madness- two very weak damage dots (one of which isn't in most specs) with internal, and an aoe internal. No other way to avoid being mitigated, period.

Very disappointing.

Make camo simply a 100% threat drop that has no use in pvp- most other dps classes have a similar threat drop that has zero use in pvp- put camo stealth instead as a high tree talent in annihilation.

Well, camo also works (in raids) as a "you're standing in the wrong place and need to get out quickly but predation isn't available just now" button, so turning it into a pure threat drop is still boning them a bit in pve. I really think eliminating obfuscate's the ticket to putting carnage right where it needs to be vs everything else.

One of the biggest problems is that marauders get all the utility at baseline that almost everyone else has to spec into to get only part of it.

Whereas sorcs are the opposite.

No argument there. The DPS pvp hybrid would be an actual pvp tree in a warrior class, rather than something that sorcs sacrifice damage to frankenstein together.

And unstoppable needs to be put in the freaking top of the tank tree for juggs, not low in the vengeance tree. That's been on jugg tank wishlists for...forever.

Mobility- other classes can move while using almost all their abilities, have speed bonuses that are in good trees, have gap closers on shorter CDs than force speed, that are harder/impossible to counter whereas force speed can be countered often by 2 or more abilities per class. Meaning- you cannot get away, and if you do it is effortless to catch back up for your pursuer.

Eh. There are enough gap creators (at least for DPS) at our disposal, that we can stagger them per their own gap closer and get away unless the enemy has roots and lots of mobility (carnage) or control immunity (juggs, tankassins). Annimara's, in particular, will foolishly use their gap closer as a rage builder against someone kiting them, which can be used against them.

Thing is- we've been playing at such a handicap for so long, that if we were ever balanced up to the state of PTs, sins, juggs and snipers we'd look rediculous... and if marauders were ever balanced down to the state of those classes they'd all be in for a rude awakening when suddenly 90% of them suck.

Yeah, you're probably right. If someone continues to dps with a sorc in the 50 bracket, they're probably way more skilled than the average guy in the field or, dunno, crazy or something.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

i still like hybrid build most but my thoughts are

Full Lightning : pretty well balance, thundering blast should do slightly more dmg and its activation time reduced, also the high tier talent which improves crit dmg for lightning strike and thundering blast should also apply to shock. Like snipers our knockback should be baseline 2s root. Backlash redesigned to give 3s of cc immunity to the player as the bubble breaks OR a bubble breaking on damage makes your next sprint activate without triggering a cooldown. this tree needs to create distance to get casts off. i generally feel force charge should not interrupt as well

Madness : relying on noble sacrifice is ridiculous, Madness needs better force management, the dots should tick harder and faster, and deathmark should have 20 stacks and affect force lightning. Crushing darkness should be instant or activation time drastically reduced. a 2second activation basically says dont plan on casting this spell outside of wrath. Also possibly make deathfield/shock and lightning strike do 5% more dmg per dot on the target. Deathfield should restore 75 force per target hit ( or something along these lines to help)

Sorcs in generally NEED a RANGED force free attack...

we already get hit harder than any other class and casting noble sacrifice in a fight is basically a death sentence if your a dps sorc

Edited by wwkingms

Yeah, you're probably right. If someone continues to dps with a sorc in the 50 bracket, they're probably way more skilled than the average guy in the field or, dunno, crazy or something.

Well we're still beating our heads against a brick wall trying to get some devs to buff our class.... so maybe we're all crazy.

But yeah, it would be nice to think lolrauders will be nerfed to a sensible place in the PvP arena and we get the needed buffs to damage and a decent defensive cooldown.... one can hope..

One other thing I noticed that we could really use something better on.

Mara/juggs get armouring for vindicator gear that gives '+10% damage for 5 seconds after force charge'- that is at the least, a 10% damage buff that can be kept up one third of the time, if not more.

Not only that- it's one that can and is used to boost the damage of the smash even further.

Now look at our bonuses, and stop me when you hear me say a bonus that is as good as 10% bonus damage for 5 seconds every 15 seconds or shorter.

Stalkers-

2- increase range of force slow and jolt by 5m (pretty useless)

4- Increase recklessness charge by 1 and reduce CD by 15 seconds (not bad)

Force-Mystic

2- Reduce static barrier lock out by 3 seconds (good, mostly because of the stun bubble- still nowhere near as good as a 10% damage boost)

4- Consumption restores 3% of max health over 6seconds (useless- you're taking up to 15% of your max health in damage to use it- with no way to mitigate it- this is like a gentle breeze)

Force-Master

2- Reduce CD of crushing by 1.5 seconds, damage heals you for 0.5% max health. (So CD is 13.5 rather than 15 seconds... not even close to the marauder's bonus- you end up with a hot that restores 3% of your health... for me that's 600 health every 15 seconds- sorry, not worth mentioning)

4- +5m to jolt/shock range (again, this is useless- you may occassionally be able to interrupt a healer who'd otherwise be two steps out of range- big deal)

All 3 sets have one bonus which I'd consider utterly useless- and the other one in all cases is just 'all right'.

Now- yes, the 2 set bonus for mara in this case is useless- and it's decent for juggs- but the 4 set bonus... 10% damage increase up a third of the time? That's like popping an adrenal every time you leap, it's absurd.

We need much better set bonuses... for example

Force-Master

2- Force lightning can be used while moving

4- Reduce Crushing Darkness CD by 3 seconds, while active increase all damage a sorc does on that target by 10%

Force-Mystic

2- Reduce static barrier lock out by 5 seconds, while a static barrier is on you, you cannot be interrupted

4- Resurgence increases your healing on that target by 10%

Might seem a bit strong- but compared to 10% bonus damage on all attacks against everyone... yeah- once again, another case of BW playing favourites to their precious warriors.