What do merc think about the 2.0 changes for pvp

MarkXXIV

Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh

I definitely have a team that supports me, brainstorms with me, and tests with me, but I do all of the design, implementation, and balance for all of the classes by myself. It is a daunting task.

The following changes are going out in 2.0 and won't be making it onto PTS.

Bounty Hunter

Mercenary

-Electro Net: This ability now applies its effects instantly instead of waiting for a projectile to finish traveling.

Arsenal:

-Tracer Missile: The Heat Signature applied by Tracer Missile now lasts 45 seconds. In addition, the Heat Signature effect now reduces armor by 20% and no longer stacks. Furthermore, this ability now fires a faster-moving projectile.

-Heatseeker Missiles: This ability now deals 25% additional damage if the target is affected by your Heat Signature. In addition, this ability now fires a slightly slower-moving projectile, ensuring that the Heat Signature effect-checking will work properly if fired off immediately after a Tracer Missile.

-Light 'Em Up: No longer affects Heat Signatures applied by Tracer Missile.

Trooper

Commando

-Electro Net: This ability now applies its effects instantly instead of waiting for a projectile to finish traveling.

Gunnery:

-Grav Round: The Gravity Vortex applied by Grav Round now lasts 45 seconds. In addition, the Gravity Vortex effect now reduces armor by 20% and no longer stacks. Furthermore, this ability now fires a faster-moving projectile.

-Demolition Round: This ability now deals 25% additional damage if the target is affected by your Gravity Vortex. In addition, this ability now fires a slightly slower-moving projectile, ensuring that the Gravity Vortex effect-checking will work properly if fired off immediately after a Grav Round.

-Gravity Surge: No longer affects Gravity Vortices applied by Grav Round.

Will merc be able to get a ranked pvp team in dps spec after this, do you guys think these changes will make merc alot better?

Will merc be able to get a ranked pvp team in dps spec after this, do you guys think these changes will make merc alot better?

In a word, no. Those changes are not the real issue, the ability to remain ranged is a very real issue though that remains unresolved. The cd on determination is too high, and you tend to get locked down pretty fast with stuns. Jet boost is equally useless as it only slows your enemy 50% for 1 second (and lets face it you're not going to get far enough away to avoid a melee hitting you or jumping on you.

Add into that opponents that are bubbled and you're screwed, your other defence Energy Shield negates nothing in comparison to Static Barrier / Force Armour.

So all of your dps is for nothing, you rarely get a chance to use it. Why anyone would use it in PvP is a mystery to me (healer maybe, but there are better options).

Commandos/Mercs got a great buff with 2.0.

For those who intend to keep getting slaughtered in warzones, by all means continue to cry for a buff. You're doing the exact same thing the Sorc/Sage community done (including me) by asking for a buff all the time and saying you're class is garbage, other people notice it and think you're an easy target because of it.

You then die easily because everyone thinks your an easy target and goes for you all the time.

justmy2c

Commandos/Mercs got a great buff with 2.0.

For those who intend to keep getting slaughtered in warzones, by all means continue to cry for a buff. You're doing the exact same thing the Sorc/Sage community done (including me) by asking for a buff all the time and saying you're class is garbage, other people notice it and think you're an easy target because of it.

You then die easily because everyone thinks your an easy target and goes for you all the time.

justmy2c

yeah except sorc is pretty good and has alot of utility. Both dps lightning and madness trees need work but not as bad as merc, also sorc has a great healing tree. sorc can pvp ranked with their healing tree at least but merc has nothing.

Arsenal got some good buffs. Merc Pyro got nerfed to hell. How this masquerades as a good set of changes is baffling to me. But that's what happened.

yeah im very dissapointed but I expected this, I am having a ton of fun on my sniper.

Is it a nice buff? Yes.

Will it get us into ranked? Probably not.

I'd say this buff is a step in the right direction, but the problem of interrupt vulnerability and lack of mobility still remains, and that's what is going to keep us out of ranked. Having Tracer Missile apply the full armor debuff, thus the damage buff to HSM, just makes us a bit more bursty at the beginning of our rotation, but we still have to rely on TM for Barrage and to get our increased Rail Shot damage. Cashology's suggestion on reducing the CD on Power Surge and Thermal Sensor Overrides would be a great help with the issues of mobility and interrupt vulnerability, along with the new found heat issues some mercs are experiencing.

And like someone above me said, Pyrotech got nerfed to hell, making it lose all its burst, which any good PvPer knows is crucial. I just... I'm irritated with what was done to Pyro. It was obviously done more for Powertechs, but again the devs swung the nerf bat at PTs, but let it fly out of their hands and hit Mercs in the crotch. So basically, Arsenal will be the better PvP spec in 2.0 due to its burst advantage over Pyro, whereas currently in 1.7 Pyro is superior for PvP due to mobility and ramped up burst.

Edited by mandoforlife

Merc Pyro got nerfed to hell. How this masquerades as a good set of changes is baffling to me. But that's what happened.

It's due to all of the bads crying out, "Nerf Pyrotech," when they meant "Nerf Powertech Pyrotech." :rolleyes:

Nope, the buffs fix mercs as they exist currently but against what the other classes are getting? will have no chance in a real rated team, this is because still they serve no purpose in the game, they are not turrets since snipers have more immunity's and defenses, they are not moving casters again snipers have more mobility and sorcs have more CC to kite with, they aren't even ranged 1v1 fighters because as soon as they get looked upon they are shut down instantly, eventually the class has no reason to be in the game and offers nothing to a team except a few AOEs i love playing my own merc simply because it was my first class but when im on my jug or sorc i wouldn't even have it for a companion and my merc is in more than half elite augmented.

Realy i dont know what BW intend the merc to be its as if they just ran out of ideas for a class and said OK lets make a ranged mara squishy out and out DPSer but it just doesnt work that way.

Maybe if mercs had a stealth ability or instead of that shield an immunity like sins and maras have they would be good my suggestion give them what the HK has a back hand and jump back 25 meters to hit from rang that or this

Just give us a effin' proper full-ranged quick cooldown/insta-cast root (like Leg-shot and its talent in the IA/Sniper/Marksman and/or Smuggler/Slinger/Sharpshooter trees).

Won't solve everything, but...Electro-Net --again assuming I'm understanding it correctly-- seems a step in the right direction.

Oh, hey, 2.0 and the root-cleansing abilities inbound (assuming I'm understanding those correctly)...

A step in the right direction, followed by two steps in the wrong, anyone C/D?

/Sigh....

So, um...Anyone have any good suggestions for re-modelling the décor of that re-spawn door?

[/Facepalm]

I still adore my little ArsenMerc though, warts, frequent WZ deaths, and all. Yes, I'm weird, or maybe just a closeted masochist :/

Just give us a effin' proper full-ranged quick cooldown/insta-cast root (like Leg-shot and its talent in the IA/Sniper/Marksman and/or Smuggler/Slinger/Sharpshooter trees).

Won't solve everything, but...Electro-Net --again assuming I'm understanding it correctly-- seems a step in the right direction.

Oh, hey, 2.0 and the root-cleansing abilities inbound (assuming I'm understanding those correctly)...

A step in the right direction, followed by two steps in the wrong, anyone C/D?

/Sigh....

So, um...Anyone have any good suggestions for re-modelling the décor of that re-spawn door?

[/Facepalm]

I still adore my little ArsenMerc though, warts, frequent WZ deaths, and all. Yes, I'm weird, or maybe just a closeted masochist :/

if they trinket the net you stun them if not kite back with loads of bombs, then stun and then surgeCC either way they are getting locked down, i hear they cant pop resists to under the net. sounds pretty beast to me. and what happened to hydrolic over ride i heard of, immunity to all CCs and a speed boost? now that will help. Finally i can keep sins out of my face and not be locked down by there 22 CCs.

I don't understand why they felt Pyro had to get screwed over in order to buff Arsenal.

Losing the decrease CD on RS when taking damage + degauss is an inexplicable nerf to the face for our mobility and survivability.

Decrease CD on Jet Boost on taking damage does not help our survivability against ranged and seeing as we are about to be swamped by a massive wave of Fotmipers and Fotmingers...

... and that's even before the nerf to CGC which is a mainstay of damage.

Missile Blast still sucks and will suck forever more.

Please revert.

I think that that was actually intended to nerf PTech/Pyro, and because that tree is shared across both ACs, then the MercPyro got urp'ed along with it.

That's my understanding from reading the forums, it has little or nothing to do with Arsen.

Ugh, typical BioWare cluelessness (And I've been thinking of rolling a PTech when I get my Razer Naga mouse, too.../Facepalm.) :/

I don't understand why they felt Pyro had to get screwed over in order to buff Arsenal.

Losing the decrease CD on RS when taking damage + degauss is an inexplicable nerf to the face for our mobility and survivability.

Decrease CD on Jet Boost on taking damage does not help our survivability against ranged and seeing as we are about to be swamped by a massive wave of Fotmipers and Fotmingers...

... and that's even before the nerf to CGC which is a mainstay of damage.

Missile Blast still sucks and will suck forever more.

Please revert.

Moving Degauss to Chaff Flare is good, because now we don't have to pop one of our only defensive cooldowns just to escape a root or slow. Reducing the cooldown of Jet Boost upon taking damage will help in keeping melee off of us, which is where our problem lies, not with ranged. With ranged, just throw your dot's on 'em, hit them with Thermal Det and Explosive dart and LoS. If it's a sniper (which you will see a lot of) and they root you, just cleanse it. You really shouldn't have too many problems with ranged classes. Energy Shield no longer having its CD reduced upon damage is a slight survivability nerf, but it was done because of the talent that makes our shield reciprocate damage back to the attacker. The real nerf to Merc Pyro was the CGC and Thermal Det changes, every other change in the tree was positive, and gave us great utility. Unfortunately we lost our burst with the 3/14 changes, so this utility-rich spec lost most of its PvP viability.

I think that that was actually intended to nerf PTech/Pyro, and because that tree is shared across both ACs, then the MercPyro got urp'ed along with it.

That's my understanding from reading the forums, it has little or nothing to do with Arsen.

Ugh, typical BioWare cluelessness (And I've been thinking of rolling a PTech when I get my Razer Naga mouse, too.../Facepalm.) :/

This is what I think too. It's not the first time merc pyro has taken nerfs just because of PTs. Of course PTs could have more armor pen on rail shot than us, but when nerfs come their way, we have to be dragged down with them. I mean, comeon... way to kick us when we're down.

• 1 month later...
If merc arsenal had interrupt immunity it would solve the problem. Maybe give them a stance they can activate, like a cylinder, that gives them interrupt immunity. I love my merc but being mediocre in pvp all the time just gets me down. It

You forgot - playing like no tomorrow and still seeing mediocre results. At least there are arsenal mercs and commandos on the top of the board - probably not as many pyros. But never the long list of sorcs/snipers/counterparts. Also my merc has a harder time with targeting and broken activation keystokes including movement than my other toons (not interrupts just laggy play, missile blast always goes quickly).

Check the few merc videos out there. Hands down incredible situational awareness is key.

I do worry when I see the ones who do very well always pick/kite the weaker targets and spend more time taking nodes than doing dps/eliminating threats even with great rotations. If they put that skill into raw dps on the painful targets, I would be more impressed. But I did see these mercs surviving in outnumbered situations and scoring in hutball so hats off.

Don't feel too bad my Jedi Sent got hit pretty hard with some of the smash hate nerf. The BH is a lot easier to play on a loosing pug with a poor mix.