Loot rules? need and greed with companions

People who roll need for their companions Get shot... Point blank, in the face, and then get tea bagged.

If you want gear for your companion.

Get a friend, you both pull out your companions,

and run the instance...

DO NOT even think about your companion when your run an instance with a full group.

DONT FORGET YOU HAVE MORE THEN 1 COMPANION YOU CAN GEAR... It is totally unfair to the group to be soo greedy. You technically can roll need on every item that drops if you start rolling need for companions.

Edited by Dawning_Enmity

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I PUG I start off by typing a simple sentence, "Need for yourself, Greed for companions. Agreed?"

I have never had a group that didn't agree to that when it was stated up front. It is the expectation that causes the problems. Once you state it clearly then it seems nobody has a problem.

That said, if someone does break that rule AFTER it was stated up front then I either kick them from the group if I am leader or drop group if the leader does not kick them.

As for people that can use other armors I think it is fairly obvious. In my OPINION need rolls go by this:

Tr/Bh get the AIM

Sm/IA get the Cunning

Jk/Sw get the Strength

Jc/Si get the Willpower

Anything else is just greedy people. Companions are NOT your character, they are your pet.

The loot system could see some improvements, otherwise it's an unnecessary cause for drama in pick up groups in my opinion. Right now as Jedi Sage I seem to be able to need on everything no matter the stats or armor class.

Needing on companion gear over a player feels wrong. With the number of companions everyone gets wouldn't that just mean everyone needs everything? That would be weird.

Edited by Nepumuk

@Princess_Chibi and snnooggums and the rest:

You know I used to think like you in WoW right up until the time I started doing heroics and pugs. And you know what? I was dead wrong, and I would kick myself from a group for acting this way. Even with groups that are diverse and respect looting rules, you may have to run an instance 6 times to get the piece of gear you're wanting from the boss you're wanting. It's in no way okay for someone to need on the gear to put it on the auction house or give it to a companion. For the person needing an item without the role, it's a few credits or a slightly more powerful pet. For the person who has the role, it's having to do the flashpoint another five or six times because the other guy wanted his pet to look cool.

I do know where you're coming from. But experience has taught me the error of my ways, and how selfish *I* was to think that way.

I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson about the power of friendship...

I however, do not have any issues with self-recrimination. I want, I roll, I get, it's mine. Just like the real world. I go up for that promotion you want, I get it, it's mine. I'm not going to pass up on something advantageous for myself because someone else feels they were more deserving or could have used it better.

You can set ALL the rules in the world you want; the reality is most every MMO's devs know better than to get involved in this trash argument, and the whining kids screaming NBG!!!! are going to be ignored. If you want to play NBG, run with your guild. If you work in PUG's, GBN is king. A few hundred players out of MILLIONS are not going to change the play-style of the entire game base, or even influence a large population of a single server.

NO ONE other than people with the same values or who feel cheated out of some piece of equipment (they were wronged in a previous game) cares what you roll. I don't care what you roll, Snoog doesn't care what you roll, most people in this world DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU ROLL. You can care what I roll all you like, and you can lecture me on it, and you can whine to the devs about it...

BUT IT IS MY ROLL AND I'LL ROLL HOW I WANT. DON'T LIKE, FIND ANOTHER GAME.

THIS IS HOW I ROLL! :cool:

/end

Edited by Princess_Chibi

I have thought a lot about this and I agree that you should roll need for your companions. If you need an item in this game, roll need on it. People are rolling need on just about every nice drop anyway, regardless of class, so if you can't beat them join them. Also, what the previous poster said - roll need if you want something or you won't get it.

A bunch of stuff demonstrating that they are not anyone that I (or most people) want to group with.

This is why I want to be able to press ignore here for this user and never have to deal with any of their characters in the game.

Not Republic, not Empire, not on any server.

But I can't.

I ignore them here and I will still have to risk teaming with them and them deciding that they can make a few credits selling that super-rare drop that they can not equip to a vendor, so I, who can use it, will have to roll off for it.

Please, Bioware. You can do better.

You can help us all out and leave these selfish people to make each other miserable.

Edited by Mithros

Wow, some people are getting very touchy on this subject.

Honestly, a few people have mentioned the simplest solution, which I've seen work in every situation that's come up. Need for yourself, greed for your companion. If you see that nobody is needing on a piece of gear, just ask "Is it cool if I need for X companion?"

I've never heard a no.

I however, do not have any issues with self-recrimination. I want, I roll, I get, it's mine. Just like the real world. I go up for that promotion you want, I get it, it's mine. I'm not going to pass up on something advantageous for myself because someone else feels they were more deserving or could have used it better.

You can set ALL the rules in the world you want; the reality is most every MMO's devs know better than to get involved in this trash argument, and the whining kids screaming NBG!!!! are going to be ignored. If you want to play NBG, run with your guild. If you work in PUG's, GBN is king. A few hundred players out of MILLIONS are not going to change the play-style of the entire game base, or even influence a large population of a single server.

NO ONE other than people with the same values or who feel cheated out of some piece of equipment (they were wronged in a previous game) cares what you roll. I don't care what you roll, Snoog doesn't care what you roll, most people in this world DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU ROLL. You can care what I roll all you like, and you can lecture me on it, and you can whine to the devs about it...

/end

Well put, more so in these early stages of the game where you are trading out items every lvl or so loot is largely worthless and cause more problems in a group then help. Just last night a player in my group looted a saber; he was not a force user. The one that was just stopped fighting in the middle of a boss fight resulting in the group all dying. He started spamming that he would not continue until he got it. All in all he was booted along with his other whinny friend that demanded some loot he did not get the roll for. Looking up the saber on the market later it was for only 200 credits. Need or greed rules are pointless and can take time out of your game play. If someone gets a loot you think he does not need just ask nicely for it.

DO NOT DEMAND IT!

DO NOT STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU DID NOT GET SOME WORTHLESS LOOT!

DO ASK NICELY!

LASTLY CHECK THE MARKET PLACE FOR LOOT ITEMS

I would never NEED for a companion but I haven't argued with people who rolled NEED for a companion even when I lost. It's ambiguous. I think there should be a COMPANION NEED option. Edited by fodigg

When I PUG I start off by typing a simple sentence, "Need for yourself, Greed for companions. Agreed?"

I have never had a group that didn't agree to that when it was stated up front. It is the expectation that causes the problems. Once you state it clearly then it seems nobody has a problem.

I plan to start doing this myself.

I didn't want to reply but find myself typing.

While leveling, to ignore the need of your companion seems like folly. If you are a healer or a tank, your core dps will likely come from your companion. All that gear is replaceable anyway. I'd suggesting defaulting to what the developers have allowed us to do, need on anything you need, for you or your companion. If you live by any other loot system, I predict you'll be disappointed and angry from time to time.

I don't know how high level content goes, but I suggest that folks should play by different rules. Suspect the player should only roll for oneself, assuming that companions are phased out in raid style content.