Are Hardmodes identical to Standard mode?

I'm assuming you mean the Ops and not the Flashpoints in the post.

From what I've seen (killed all but Bonethrasher and Soa on Heroic after 2 days of raiding) the bosses get much more involved in the Heroic.

XR starts hitting harder and has a soft enrage from 8%.

Gharj was buggy when we did him, but he hit much harder and we had less time to switch platforms

Pylons where a more complex rotation that if not done correctly would wipe you

Council was just the same with more health

Bonethrasher attempts were hell. He got a new ability all together on Heroic.

Sadly there are no additional areas or bosses in hardmode.

I really liked how Rift handled those. Seeing the "Gate" opened up in Deepstrike Mines leading to 3 more bosses, or Scarn having hatched and grown in the uh..uh..the goblin dungeon, or bosses being added to areas that were normal mode quest areas like in Abyssal Precipice...it was a pretty cool way of doing it. Too bad tor couldn't take note of that.

As already being mentioned, the hardmodes are the exact same bosses, exact same overall fight mechanics but there are some new boss abilities (rare) and bascially all abilities do tend to hit overall much harder than their normal mode counterpart.

I've never actually been able to get a Hardmode group together so I am curious if it's anything like RIFT, whereby they add an extra area and 2/3 new bosses or is it basically copy & paste and increase stats?

Thanks.

Generally, identical. I've run a number of them on Normal and Hard and it honestly feels like the ONLY difference is HM bosses tend to have strict Enrage Timers (i.e., you will routinely have your tank pop all of their CDs during the last 10% and hope they aren't 1 or 2 shot). Otherwise, I really have noticed much difference in encounters.