Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

So basically for the past 2 months this is what you have all been working on, versus releasing new content.. Awesome, so that means our nightmare mode of EC will probably be another month or two at least. Hello guild wars 2, good by swtor.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR, will cancel my subscription when this occurs, as will many of my guildie's, was hoping to think this game was going to survive, it might- but not with my help. I will start to look for another game to play, will not be this part of this EPIC FAIL event.

I don't want to say it but you're leaving this game will probably be a boon, since such negativity chases away more subs than it gains.

Edited by Nohonor

I think you need to realise 90% of the items in the cash shop are going to be aimed at getting the F2P players to spend cash on boosts.

Someone like myself who has multiple level 50s and does not need/want to level another character only has Operations and a few more WZs to look forward to, how is that worth $15 a month?

Especially since the rate of endgame content release is likely to drop from here on out, and as it is we've gotten just 1 additional operation since launch. How is the rate we already have supposed to entice someone to a sub of $15 a month just to play it? Because knowing the rate it already releases at is about to slow I'm having a very hard time justifying why I'd pay when if I play most other F2P mmos they're new content rate may be slow as molasses but at least I'm not paying to play that slow releasing endgame content.

Can't find the article that showed how much more money F2P games + cash shop make over P2P subs games, basically exploiting ppl addiction to the game.

So my worries are:

- How will you handle the server lag with all this new players coming? servers already barely hold and WZs lag like crazy as we are now.

- Cash shop? what do you consider "not-game breaking"? I'm cool with cash shops as long as all you sell are vanity items, or exp/drops buffs, speeders similar to those in-game, whatever.

The moment I see p2w items i'm gone (paying a sub or no) don't want to even see items like 200% speeder with no chance to dismount, costumes/clothing with +XX to all attributes, + expertice items, HP or atk speed/power buffs/scrolls, etc......been there before, is not fun.

- In game economy, you let ppl trade items from the cash shop or be BoP? what happens to gather and sell in the GTN if you sell crafting mats in the cash shop?....again seen it before, again not fun.

The big issue, it's that I've seen all this before, cash shop starts with vanity items only and sooner or later they start to sell p2w items forcing both subs and F2P guys to use $$$ to be able to compite at top end pvp/e.

That's why I stopped playing F2P games and started playing P2P ones, I can name you 10 f2p mmos where you need to spend USD 50+ just to be able to compite.

Can't find the article that showed how much more money F2P games + cash shop make over P2P subs games, basically exploiting ppl addiction to the game.

So my worries are:

- How will you handle the server lag with all this new players coming? servers already barely hold and WZs lag like crazy as we are now.

You do know how many servers are still locked right?

I believe I speak in the name of most if not all Founders, when I say, give us a lifetime account. We stuck through the early days of this game, and when it flopped we stayed. It's only fair you repay our faith in you, Bioware. Ofcourse EA won't have any of that, the moneygrabbers they are.

That is all I have to say in this matter. Flame on.

If anyone honestly believes EA can resist going full on Pay to Win with this then I think they are sadly deluded. I remember a certain John Riccitiello and the whole 'Charging a dollar to reload in BF3' thing, god know what they / he has planned for SWTOR.

I'm not sticking around to get my eyeballs ripped out and watch this game slide down the slippery slope of 'cosmetic', wave as it passes 'Convenience' before pelting full speed to 'pay to win'.

Subscription cancelled.

Edited by Sparkymark

If we can switch between paid and unpaid fine. I find some times of the year that money is tight, IE. Xmas, and if I am going on holiday why pay for the time I am away. Now as we pay by month not week, we lose a whole month of play if we cancel so as not to waste two weeks of it while on holiday. But no mention on the announcement if you can take a month or two on f2p then go back to subbing when your finances are better. And I hope that this forum doesn't end up like Star trek online, they only let f2p players post in the game error section, they have a f2p section on the forum but f2p players are not allowed to post in it. Restricting the forum for f2p players would be a bad plan.

I believe I speak in the name of most if not all Founders, when I say, give us a lifetime account. We stuck through the early days of this game, and when it flopped we stayed. It's only fair you repay our faith in you, Bioware. Ofcourse EA won't have any of that, the moneygrabbers they are.

That is all I have to say in this matter. Flame on.

As much as i want that too, it will never happen. Money has been lost by companies who did this in the past.

This isn't a good change, every MMO that has gone F2P has solely relied on a niche market, the population honestly might go up but not by much and will just remain stagnant and will eventually decline slowly. This game will never be big, it will just be there and remain mediocre in a market full of other mediocre MMO's. This move is just looking to bleed out a little extra cash before they shut it down eventually.

So whatever, this game was doomed the minute they copy/pasted wow and slapped a Star Wars theme on it.

Edited by Folky

The vendor, I'm sure, will have vanity items that aren't in normal gameplay.
So now we are differentiating what is normal gameplay and what isn't... My questions stands - if subscribers have unrestricted access to EVERYTHING what are the coins for? I bet my aunt's pants that the coins that go with the subscription will not be enough to buy everything (otherwise they would not award the bonus coins they are awarding because the normal points would be enough to cover everything). So your subscription will not cover EVERYTHING. And you are still paying the subscription.

They can't get their facts straight and do things right even in this "exciting" announcement.

Edited by vandana_

WOW! Talk about CRAP! I see EA and bioware are taking some pages from PWI. Sell useless junk and act like it is something to be excited about.

They understand that people are like pack rats. We travel in groups and like to collect stuff.

Why not oblige us then?

New news items (pun intended) .. EA/BW just releashed info about an option to use Cartel Coins to buy/sell on the AH also. In some way creating an real money AH.

jk, but doesn't seem to far fetched after BW is actually going f2p on a game of theirs. BW, you guys where one of my childhood heroes when it was about real quality games ... Grats on reaching a new low.

/cancelled. (but seeing how excited you all are about this, you probably think thats great news ... )

Edited by SinnedQWERTY

So here is my take...I agree with many mentioning the failure at releasing new end game content. The game has been out for quite some time now and one of the best ways to entice people to return/keep paying sub would be to release new content and raise lvl cap (5 lvls increase is more than laughable, it's insulting). I have 6 lvl 50s that are essentially "retired" because there is nothing to really do with them (pve anyways, pvp can go terrorize zones). I have no desire to create another character because I've done everything 9 times now...yes, 9 characters (3 pvp)...it's become monotonous.

Secondly, I feel the f2p option is a bad idea. While it does generate larger player base generally, it usually ends up ruining the game for long-time players. I've seen too many games go f2p and then become so easy it's pathetic all to appease the f2p-players. I really don't want to see that happen with SWTOR. Unfortunately, they will be spending more time on appeasing these people that expect everything for free than to release new story and worlds. This is the first sign that their writers have hit a block and don't know what to do. When you create a game like this, you should be thinking long-term in not only finance, but for content. The basic business model calls for 5 years...implement it.

I'm disappointed. I'm personally not a fan of Free to Play and micro-transactions. To me it's like the miserable experience of flying in the US where the airlines constantly nickle and dime you for every little item, and still cut back on overall service. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Well, it is true this is the direction the market is taking these days, and though it's true this might be the only SWTOR salvation, i doubt it wil. All of your efforts, Bioware, have been focused on creating a copy of WOW, and if you don't take your own direction and develope a unique personality, there will be nothing special that could attract anyone to this game, and then everything will be over. I suggest you to concentrate on those characteristics which make SWTOR different from other MMOs and to be more creative and free, and above all, listen to what subscribers say, and keep them happy, no matter if they're premium or if they play for free.

excuse my english, i'm not a native speaker

Edited by rahadnak

So here is my take...I agree with many mentioning the failure at releasing new end game content. The game has been out for quite some time now and one of the best ways to entice people to return/keep paying sub would be to release new content and raise lvl cap (5 lvls increase is more than laughable, it's insulting). I have 6 lvl 50s that are essentially "retired" because there is nothing to really do with them (pve anyways, pvp can go terrorize zones). I have no desire to create another character because I've done everything 9 times now...yes, 9 characters (3 pvp)...it's become monotonous.

Secondly, I feel the f2p option is a bad idea. While it does generate larger player base generally, it usually ends up ruining the game for long-time players. I've seen too many games go f2p and then become so easy it's pathetic all to appease the f2p-players. I really don't want to see that happen with SWTOR. Unfortunately, they will be spending more time on appeasing these people that expect everything for free than to release new story and worlds. This is the first sign that their writers have hit a block and don't know what to do. When you create a game like this, you should be thinking long-term in not only finance, but for content. The basic business model calls for 5 years...implement it.

You play this game way too much!

I suggest playing other games as well so that you never get to the point you just described.

AWESOME. EXACTLY THE **** I DID NOT WANT THIS GAME TO DO. *********** ****.

I loved this game for years even before it was anywhere close to being complete. What complete fools and morons. Next they will remove all these 'restrictions' they have for these f2p players and the **** are we still paying 15$ for features that are already free. Drop to 7 bucks a month you little money grabbing shtis. I believe Ill be done with this game, one that I still love, very very soon.

THE ****, you little ***** did not even release a good content update and your already going into miking mode. Bioware, I believe I am done with you and your games. I have always paid for your games, not because I cannot acquire them using any other means, only because I loved your products and was loyal. Ill surely continue to play those single players games that you'll continue to make, if only to see how crappy you become over the years, but sure as hell will not be buying them to play.

WHY IS THE SUB STILL $15. WY SHOULD WE PAY FULL RATES FOR STUFF THAT IS HALF FREE

Edited by randalthorr