How do you avoid whinie newbs?

So, I'm new to TOR, and the whole concept of flashpoints/operations is a little new to me. I've only gone on two (I'm still pretty low-level) fps, and the first time (Black Talon) I go with somebody really nice. Next time around I join a full size group, but it turns out he's a major whiner, doesn't understand how to play bosses and the differences between damage, healing, and tanking, and ends up quiting in the middle of the boss-fight on Hammer Station, which messed everybody else up.

I've got a bad feeling that whinners and people who don't understand how to play are common problem. So, how can you tell who these people are before grouping with them?

Truth is some whiners as you say just exist. Nothing to really be done. However what you mention sounds more like someone who doesn't understand the mechanics of the game, and is likely very new to MMORPGs.

The game doesn't always guide you how to play, and to be.honest many.games don't. I played all the way up.to about level 45 before becoming an actual tank, before that I was just a dps/tank hybrid that played like a very weak dps lol.

The only way to end this is to help and.educate them, so that we can all enjoy the game the way its meant to be played.

First I'd say you need a bit more experience under your belt before you start whinning about other people whinning, second you should take a moment and see if the guy's complaint were actually valid. Was the tank not grabbing aggro? were people breaking CC's? were they killing strongest-to-weakest instead of weakest-to-strongest? Do you really have enough expertise as a new player to judge any of these things?

Also, the LFG tool won't match you with any players on your /ignore list

All these observations are valid. And I'm not really complaining about them, becasue they are pretty much a fact of life, what I'm really asking is, in your experience having played a lot longer than me, are there some signs or something that help you know when a group is mature and worth your time, and when it isn't.

Basically, the guy was tanking, but not drawing agression, and because he was tanking the healer focused more on those of us who actually were drawing agression. He complained if his health wasn't 100% all the time, and he always waited for others to attack first even though he clearly stated he was playing tank. He left his keyboard in the middle of fights a lot without giving us a heads up. But he complained when other people did things the right way. And quiting because your upset that people are doing this the right way is really not cool.

Again, this isn't an attempt to bash these people, I'm just asking the experienced people if they've found ways to recognize the un-helpful before getting stuck with them.

The majority of players that are really impatient like that probably wont even make it to level 50. VERY occasionally I get someone like that and they immediately go on my ignore list so im never grouped with them again.

Well sounds like you just got stuck with a bad tank. Just to say, as a tank myself - we do.not always lead groups, but yes we are expected to make the first move in such moments.

Honestly there's no way of knowing.who's gonna suck and who isn't until you play with them. Gear is not a fair indicator of skill, nor how long someone has played.

As the other guy mentioned, there is the ignore list. Adding people to this list means you won't see their messages, but you also won't ever be grouped with them using the group finder.

You'll find as you get higher level you run into these things less, but still exists a bit. And bear in mind with the recent free trial to lvl 15, there's definitely a lot of new players about. It's not really an issue you should have to worry about once you're higher level.

All these observations are valid. And I'm not really complaining about them, becasue they are pretty much a fact of life, what I'm really asking is, in your experience having played a lot longer than me, are there some signs or something that help you know when a group is mature and worth your time, and when it isn't.

Basically, the guy was tanking, but not drawing agression, and because he was tanking the healer focused more on those of us who actually were drawing agression. He complained if his health wasn't 100% all the time, and he always waited for others to attack first even though he clearly stated he was playing tank. He left his keyboard in the middle of fights a lot without giving us a heads up. But he complained when other people did things the right way. And quiting because your upset that people are doing this the right way is really not cool.

Again, this isn't an attempt to bash these people, I'm just asking the experienced people if they've found ways to recognize the un-helpful before getting stuck with them.

Ok, Simply a missunderstanding on your part. Black Talon FP is the first fp in the game players can join it at level 10 and up. You didn't realize a "tank" has no aggro ability until higher level, i think its around 14 or so don't remember. IF the healer was healing which isnt normally needed on that fp than yes he will get aggro and the only way to pull from him is to kill it. Aggro will go everywhere, once they get higher level they get abilities to hold aggro better but for the most part, aggro control is a learned talent. Takes Time. Hope this helps.

OK, so, even with so few responses so far, basically what I'm seeing is this:

1. Leveling is a pretty good barrier to keep these people away.

2. Don't be shy with the ignore button.

3. It's best to go with people you know, or at least recognize, when you can.

4. Beyond that, there's precious little that can be done other than avoiding people with a lower level than you, which is not always something to go by.

Is that pretty resonable?

Ok, Simply a missunderstanding on your part. Black Talon FP is the first fp in the game players can join it at level 10 and up. You didn't realize a "tank" has no aggro ability until higher level, i think its around 14 or so don't remember. IF the healer was healing which isnt normally needed on that fp than yes he will get aggro and the only way to pull from him is to kill it. Aggro will go everywhere, once they get higher level they get abilities to hold aggro better but for the most part, aggro control is a learned talent. Takes Time. Hope this helps.

Yes, that makes sense.

But really, I still don't want to run into people who are going to quit, even though we're doing fine, just because we were all playing that the low-levels that we are.

He was lv17, anyway, and actually seemed to have some tanking ability. And he wasn't getting targetted by AOE at all, while I, for one example, was playing sniper, and therefore much less mobile, which meant I was getting hurt by ranged AOE a lot, which naturally made the healer more concerned about me.

And healing is a little helpful when dealing with the final boss, since you have to deal with his AOEs and the extra guys he keeps bringing in, which forces advanced classes like the sniper to go mobile, which means less damage occurs to the boss, which means he has a longer time to deal damage out to everyone else.

@alifaraaz: that's what I thought. Kind of a change for me, because in the last MMO I was on, you could pretty much instantly recognize people who didn't know how to play, based on their equipment and weapons.

Edited by Berin-Tath

It's really interesting reading this. I have been discouraged lately with the way some people are acting when I use group finder. I am brand new to MMO. This is my first one and I have a level 42 DPS character. Sometimes I play and no one complains and we all get along fine. Lately though, I have had a few instances where I get voted out of the group. They don't complain before hand, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Is this normal from time to time? How do people expect newbies to learn? I had no idea what a tank was, or what DPS meant a month ago, and I love the game, but a lot a players seem to be wound so tight it takes some fun out of it.

It's really interesting reading this. I have been discouraged lately with the way some people are acting when I use group finder. I am brand new to MMO. This is my first one and I have a level 42 DPS character. Sometimes I play and no one complains and we all get along fine. Lately though, I have had a few instances where I get voted out of the group. They don't complain before hand, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Is this normal from time to time? How do people expect newbies to learn? I had no idea what a tank was, or what DPS meant a month ago, and I love the game, but a lot a players seem to be wound so tight it takes some fun out of it.

See, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Is there anything we can do about it, or do we just have to accept the fact that some people like to be randomly mean, especially to newbs?

I just wish there was a clear tip off so you could recognize the tight-wound-know-it-alls and the can't-play-but-talk-like-they-cans before you group with them. When I join groups, I admit that I don't usually know what I'm doing. It's just to bad that people don't do the same.

I know I have to accept these people as a fact of life, so I'm not complaining about them. I was just trying to figure out if the long time players knew how to get wise to the bad people before they actually do something.

I don't group outside my guild so I don't have that problem.

There are nice people but unfortunely there are also people who are not so nice. The only solution I can suggest is if you group with someone and they act like this make a note of it and don't group with them again or find a guild that will run the flashpoints with you.

Good luck .

The majority of players that are really impatient like that probably wont even make it to level 50. VERY occasionally I get someone like that and they immediately go on my ignore list so im never grouped with them again.

That's not really that true. Many, many players are like this. Not necessarily in just this game, but many MMOs.

OT : I got grouped up today in Battle of Ilum HM on my Op healer. As I've never run that FP before, when we got to the first boss, I asked, "What does this guy do?" I got no response and just a boss pull. At the end of the run, after all bosses die, only 3 overall deaths until the last boss (2 because the dps pulled mobs instead of the tank), with no wipes, one of the dps proceeded to tell me that I was one of the worst healers he's ever seen. The last boss enraged so I said, "Good job at letting the boss enrage". He told me to not be mad that I can't do my job and I responded, "Oh, I wasn't aware that the DPS' job was to let the boss enrage." He had no response for me. So, yes, jerks exist in this game. You just have to get over it and add them to your ignore list.

@ OP it is very difficult to get a sense of who you may be grouped with before you start a FP. However you can get some clue by how they respond in chat.

Say you put out a call for Hammer Station.

One person responds with "merc dps 17" this terse but informative person tends to be someone who has been around awhile likely playing an alt and therefore reasonably decent at the game.

Another responds with " Awesome heals here" Definite ego in this response the ego may or may not be deserved.

Yet another " im a level 16 Powertech can i come?" Enthusiasm and lack of abbreviations could mean a relatively young or new player.

While it is by no means perfect paying close attention to how and what a person says back to you can tell you something about them.

Oh well, there is not going to be any way to tell if someone is good at playing, or just a jerk. I expect to find know it all idiots in any type of sport or hobbie. I am surprised at the high level of concentration of these people in SWTOR, and probably all MMO games. I have run across nice people too. One refused to vote me out the other day and started sticking up for me. Not sure what I was doing wrong there either. We were successful with the FP so I don't see what the problem could be. I think it's more fun to just roll with whoever you get teamed with, as long as they are trying. Give pointers and communicate and work together . It is more like real life that way. I have a full time job, a wife ant two kids andI only get about an hour or so to play at night after the kids are sleeping. Playing is my escape from the real world, I would hate to be so wound that I get ticked off about a computer game that easy.

So, I'm new to TOR, and the whole concept of flashpoints/operations is a little new to me. I've only gone on two (I'm still pretty low-level) fps, and the first time (Black Talon) I go with somebody really nice. Next time around I join a full size group, but it turns out he's a major whiner, doesn't understand how to play bosses and the differences between damage, healing, and tanking, and ends up quiting in the middle of the boss-fight on Hammer Station, which messed everybody else up.

I've got a bad feeling that whinners and people who don't understand how to play are common problem. So, how can you tell who these people are before grouping with them?

First of all, there is no real tank at that level, neither is there any real healing. No one has the ability to tank at all until later.

All anyone should have to do is kill the normal trash, focus the elites, and stay out of the circles on the floor in BT/Esseles.

First of all, there is no real tank at that level, neither is there any real healing. No one has the ability to tank at all until later.

All anyone should have to do is kill the normal trash, focus the elites, and stay out of the circles on the floor in BT/Esseles.

To be honest, any tank that's in Hammer Station should already have their taunts. At the BT level, no, but it's a 2 person FP. Hammer Station? Definitely need 4 and your tank should definitely already have taunts. If not, your tank probably isn't high enough level to handle that place anyway.

To be honest, any tank that's in Hammer Station should already have their taunts. At the BT level, no, but it's a 2 person FP. Hammer Station? Definitely need 4 and your tank should definitely already have taunts. If not, your tank probably isn't high enough level to handle that place anyway.

See, I just assumed that, if he says he's a tank, he knows if he's a tank, and can therefore handle Hammer Station. I just won't make that mistake again.

See, I just assumed that, if he says he's a tank, he knows if he's a tank, and can therefore handle Hammer Station. I just won't make that mistake again.

Truthfully, there's many people out there who are playing this MMO who have never seen an MMO before. If they don't know what they are but are willing to learn, it's worthwhile to teach. If they don't know what they are and all they're going to do is complain about it, ignore them and move on.

Hammer Station levels gets a tank in leveling/dps gear, a single target taunt on a long cooldown, and a tank stance for added threat.

They're not going to be aggro magnets at 18. However, they should be guarding the healer at that level for sure, just in case of healing aggro.

The rest of the team needs to be sure to let the tank get a couple of hits in before they attack, and no HOTS on the tank when he goes in...but I'm not sure healers even have a HOT at that level.

I haven't pve tanked since 2 weeks after early access, and maybe some things have changed since then. On a fresh character back then it wasn't that difficult, but you did lose aggro if you were not working to keep it....and watching the knockbacks, or you went out the window. I haven't been back there since then, lol.

Thankfully once you /ignore someone you won't be put into the same group by the LFG tool.

A lot of players in my guild share if someone really messes up so you can already make sure to get around the bad experience of grouping up with them without having to meet them first.

This might sound harsh, but keep in mind I'm not talking about turning up in insignificant gear, accidentially pulling or not knowing the instance.

Leavers, slackers, flamers, people who roll need on absolutely everything or use no more than two skills (yes, had someone like that for NMP just a few days ago O.o) ... watching every single cutscene in Black Talon ... those are things where I simply don't want you and me in the same group.

My best advice is to join a friendly leveling Guild. If that doesn't work, there are some easy ways to tell if your with a troll/inexperienced player:

If they are a troll, "speech patterns" will help. if dey tak liek dis 2 u, they may be a troll.

Normally, on the first boss or challenging encounter, if you can try and follow their movements while doing a good job yourself, you can tell if the Healer is trying to DPS, the Tank is sitting in back tossing DPS every 2 minutes (happened to me once or twice), if the DPS is drawing all the aggro, etc etc etc.

Though this won't immediately help the situation, /ignore any trolls or bad players you meet to avoid future meetings with them.

Hope this helps :)

Every now and then you might get someone who doesn't do what they're supposed to. The other week I had the healer criticizing my gear (I'm a tank, I'd literally just hit level 50) when they were spending half the time healing me and half the time attacking the boss. Then they tell me that I died because of my gear.

You will notice these things less as you level up, because as a general rule people who aren't sure learn their roles and become better at doing what they are supposed to.

If you haven't done a flashpoint before, say so. Some bosses can be tricky and it doesn't take long to quickly explain how to do something. Likewise if you have done a flashpoint before, ask everyone else if they have so you can bring them up to speed if they're unfamiliar with it.

Most people will be happy to help you out because at the end of the day, you all want to finish the flashpoint without dying numerous times and taking much longer than it should.