Developer Update: Operation: Explosive Conflict - Nightmare Mode

CourtneyWoods

Have you considered taking HM and NiM mode EC off the same lockout? Since they are essentially different encounters now like SM and HM are with a completely different loot set shouldn't they be locked out seperately? I understand the shared lockout for EV/KP since like you have said they were essentially the same encounter but being completely different in EC they should split the lockouts to help progression.

The problem with SW:TOR is itemization is linear, weak, and predictable and you can probably guess what the mods and enhancements will have as states. Other games have raid sets but usually always have armor that is just as good but will variation in some way.

It also doesn't help that in the last 11 months there has only been one set bonus and if you compare it to Rift which has armor set and crystals which can mean changing set bonus then you see just how far behind Bioware are in design.

Have you considered taking HM and NiM mode EC off the same lockout? Since they are essentially different encounters now like SM and HM are with a completely different loot set shouldn't they be locked out seperately? I understand the shared lockout for EV/KP since like you have said they were essentially the same encounter but being completely different in EC they should split the lockouts to help progression.

I completely agree with this. But I think it should be extended to all of them. I mean, Rakata is easy enough to get while so many people are so geared. I've had occasion to do a NiM and couldn't since I did a HM run earlier in the week. I didn't need any of the gear for sure, I was just going for something to do.

And honestly the SM Ops ought to be completely free of lockouts. They are done mostly as randoms for BH comms these days, and when someone has a new L50 character, we can easily run them through HM/NiM EV/KP or SM EC and gear them up to Rakata in an evening. I've also known guilds to just run through LI HM a few times with a new 50, then take them on an EC HM trip and they're half or more campaign in a day.

Anyways, moral of the story.... relax lockouts for the old content :)

This post is ok but I am confused.

How is it that it would be possible to do it in two hours.

I accepted a real hard encounter, for serious raiders but this two hours possibility timer kinda throws it away. If the first cleance from a top guild manage to do this in less then a week from tomorrow, I mean all the Opps then I think this was a failure for the SWTOR Operations design team. Was said in video blog by one of the devs that they think an average time of three week to clear all new Nightmare Opps for the very first time. Has this changed?

It is Nightmare and it should be very difficult, and I thought with the failure of EC and KP Nightmare-modes this was a bit understood.

I think the loot in Nightmare should be very fruitful but the difficulty also should be a lot. A month difficult standard should be the norm to clear all the Opps.

BTW I hope for the Nightmare to revise in also the two old Opps (EV and KP). There was an old dev post when this was promised actually. The current EV and KP Night-mare are a buff of the Hard-mode, noting special, and these should have been change right after 1.2.

Thanks for the update, we've been waiting for Denova NiM for a veeery long time now!

@limenutpen: The challenge to clear it in under 2 hours will probably only be possible once (on average) your raidteam is fully decked out in Dread Guard / Hazmat and know every fight in and out. From what we've heard from the PTS, Denova NiM is really really hard.

One question though, which might not be related to the Ops design team(?): When will we get new setbonuses?

The problem with SW:TOR is itemization is linear, weak, and predictable and you can probably guess what the mods and enhancements will have as states. Other games have raid sets but usually always have armor that is just as good but will variation in some way.

It also doesn't help that in the last 11 months there has only been one set bonus and if you compare it to Rift which has armor set and crystals which can mean changing set bonus then you see just how far behind Bioware are in design.

Please no, these other games with raid sets also have runaway gear inflation that completely trivializes everything except items from the latest patch. Linear > exponential.

Raid content? Meh. I do like HM flashpoints, though.

Please no, these other games with raid sets also have runaway gear inflation that completely trivializes everything except items from the latest patch. Linear > exponential.

I'll agree with this.

Edited by Felioats

Yay for regurgitating content I did for over 5 months straight! I can't wait to do EV and KP again too!!! Oh, and make sure you work TFB NiM in there too so you can stretch out the same content even longer... that should make it easier to convince my guild to start playing a game with decent raid content.

Does this mean that the next NEW Operation that gets released, let's call it Scum and Villainy, will come out with Nightmare Mode along with Story and Hard Mode?

Coming out with Nightmare mode 7 Months after the operation has been released is completely pointless in my opinion, after doing the same Operation for 7 months straight to gear a whole guild out + alts + applicants makes the Operation stale. You're not looking at anything new other than new mechanics, visually it's the same and it retracts from fully enjoying the Operation unlike Terror From Beyond which was completely new and the last boss was very entertaining to do as well.

I get the reason for raids. Hell they are one of the few things I do on a weekly basis and about the only thing thats worth any equipment once you have played through a few hard mode flash points. I remember the first time I got tionese or Columi gear and then Rakata and then blackhole/campaign sets. To the point where most the end game content offers nothing in the way of gear and we end up rolling on loot for alts or companions.

That said I get the feeling harder and harder rehashes of the same content only appeals to the hard core raid guilds. Learning new instant death mechanics or having to mash keys faster to get the mob down before he enrages and one hits the tank or having to turn guildies away cause they haven't ground out the necessary gear or augments or a small mistake resulting in a wipe just isn't that much fun. Let alone having to slowly work through each set of trash mobs with CC's and taxing the tanks and healers to keep up while the dps get an experience similar to chopping wood to take down what we like to call trash. And all of this for what? The next level of gear so that we can then do the next hard or nightmode.

With the introduction of F2P the same time this goes live I wonder how accessable this will be for the more casual free to play gamer. Provided they purchase the pass to do the op will they find its a wipe with the first bunch of trash and throw in the towel. Equally how accessable is this sort of content without trial and error re-runs and guides along with some form of vent, teamspeak or mumble. As such if high end raids with new and more difficult mechanics is the way the dev team is going do they feel that their is sufficient demand in a fair causal friendly story driven MMO to keep subscribers playing? Then given how important Story i.e. the fourth pillar that BW were bringing to the MMO how does a rehash of hard mode which was a rehash of story mode fit into story. Has BW given up on the 4th Pillar and no longer wish to bring this to the MMO?

It seems the game from level 1 to 50 and even the early end game experience with a number of different hard mode flashpoints to get the gear is a very different experience than is currently being offered. Where the current end game is more about replaying a couple of raids that is only really accessable to hard core raid groups. While little else seems to be offered for other styles of play.

Edited by Costello

Sorry but you guys just had a big FAIL when it came to this. we had nothing to do for 5 months except ec hm. we had a raid member quit the game cuz of it. to be honest im surprised more peeps in my raid group didnt drop out.

So...If everyone stuck around except for your one impatient raid member, and they only lost...one person, how did they fail? Compared to losing seven or more players, one really is just a drop in the bucket.

Try harder to troll failtroll.

As far as I already know on Toth & Zorn this fight won't be a big challenge. I mean, raising the HP by around 200k for each Boss and use a medpack at the start of the fight is nothing I would consider a big challenge. With my Sentinel I will for sure do ~600k Damage in that 5:20 min fight all alone to one Boss, so if you see that 2 dps are on one boss it won't be even close to stress us out. Why not raise the HP to something really challenging, like 1.1m for each? So you are not allowed to relax some time or fail to lose your stacks?

I really hope the other Bosses will be somewhat a real challenge. Cause if it goes on like "use random stuff, do more dps, heal more" it won't be a challenge. Sorry to say that but I am just afraid this will be another easy Operation that we will finish in no time and then have to wait months again for new content.

Edited by tman_ac

This post is ok but I am confused.

How is it that it would be possible to do it in two hours.

I accepted a real hard encounter, for serious raiders but this two hours possibility timer kinda throws it away. If the first cleance from a top guild manage to do this in less then a week from tomorrow, I mean all the Opps then I think this was a failure for the SWTOR Operations design team. Was said in video blog by one of the devs that they think an average time of three week to clear all new Nightmare Opps for the very first time. Has this changed?

It is Nightmare and it should be very difficult, and I thought with the failure of EC and KP Nightmare-modes this was a bit understood.

I think the loot in Nightmare should be very fruitful but the difficulty also should be a lot. A month difficult standard should be the norm to clear all the Opps.

BTW I hope for the Nightmare to revise in also the two old Opps (EV and KP). There was an old dev post when this was promised actually. The current EV and KP Night-mare are a buff of the Hard-mode, noting special, and these should have been change right after 1.2.

The top guilds will clear this in 1 week and probably clear it in 2 hours within 3 weeks (so December 7th). All the other Raiding guilds will probably take more like 2-3 months to clear it 2 hours. And the casuals? They will NEVER clear it in 2 hours because it's chock-full of mechanics checks. You can't really outgear mechanic heavy Operations because you still need to be at least decent. That's why I like mechanic focused Operations, if when the level cap gets raised someone tells me they cleared HM TfB the other night I'll know they can't be terrible because the mechanics would have wiped them if they were.

Sorry but you guys just had a big FAIL when it came to this. we had nothing to do for 5 months except ec hm. we had a raid member quit the game cuz of it. to be honest im surprised more peeps in my raid group didnt drop out.

You really have no idea how lucky you are do you?

Guilds had as many as ALL their good raiders leave during the 5 month wait. My guild lost 4/8 waiting for HM TfB. And you complain about 1/8? Take a look around, you're one of the lucky ones buddy.

Yes the lockout for NiM EC needs to be separate from HM EC... If we're talking more challenging higher level loot... Separate this!

Or people will just switch to HM to pass the harder bosses and farm the easier ones on NiM for the gear...