Don't like Darkness at low levels

Vingeful

So I'm planning to spec Deception instead, but not sure when to switch to Darkness. I want to tank, but I've tried speccing Darkness in the past and it doesn't end up working out, and I usually end up playing something else.

I find going Darkness right from the get go to not be ideal for several reasons:

1. Certain abilities (namely Shock and FL) require talents in the Darkness tree to even be worth using in the first place. Shock without Energize isn't really worth the force cost (I might use it as an opener if I'm at full force but even that's questionable), and FL isn't really even worth bothering with at all until you get HD, which is near the top of the tree. Add to it that Maul requires the force reduction from Duplicity to be viable which is the only other ability you really have at low levels. As such, speccing Darkness right off the bat you end up doing little more than Thrash spam, which is just boring.

2. Your first companion is a tank, which directly conflicts with you being a tank yourself. This coupled with the above just makes Darkness very dull early on IMO. It seems better to start off in Deception taking Duplicity and take advantage of having a tank to distract the mobs while you attack their backs with Maul. Once you get your 2nd companion Darkness seems a lot more useful.

3. Researching tanking, it seems Assassins are the worst tanks at low levels largely in part to being much more squishy than the other tanks. As if missing half your rotation due to missing abilities (Wither), or not having the talents to make some abilities even doable (Energize/HD, etc.) was bad I have to contend with not even being as sturdy as the other tanks (which I have already experienced firsthand). Makes me reconsider even bothering with tanking at all until the 30s or so and just deal with DPS queue times until then.

It's a real turn-off playing a class that blooms so late in the role I want to play. I'm not complaining so much as trying to figure out the best way to go about this while keeping myself interested in the class. I know it pays off eventually, but I'm seriously considering playing a Sorc instead, since at least with them healing is perfectly fine and dandy right from the beginning. I just would much prefer using a double-bladed lightsaber (not to mention actually using my lightsaber for more than just a stat stick), and I'd prefer to tank instead of heal I think.

Edited by Vingeful

Sintank blooms in their 30s, 35 even.

They start being workable around 27 with access to absorb enhencements, and finally a decent defensive CD (deflection).

But pre 20? They screwed them with armor nerf and self heal nerf to balance higher levels.

Keep deception till 35 I'd say, then move on to tanking tree. At 35, if you got crafters, you'll have access to interesting enhencements and Force Wielder armorings (end heavy willpower one)

If Darkness tanking is so weak at low levels I'm guessing trying to tank as Deception in Dark Charge is even more futile. Guess I'll just deal with DPS queue times until Darkness comes into its own.

I've leveled a Sin before, way back a couple months after launch. Got to 40, mostly did PvP and soloing. Don't think I bothered with FPs past Cademimu. I don't remember specifics but I recall going Deception till 20 when I switched to Madness for DF. Ended up not really liking it so made the switch to Darkness in the mid-20's and found it much more enjoyable. I think it starts to pick up once you can put points into Blood of the Sith for the increased force regen (which is right around the 27 mark you mentioned). Didn't really tank on my Sin though, but I mainly liked Darkness for the added survivability Dark Charge gives in PvP (I found being able to live longer allowed me to do more killing, and guarding/taunting was also useful).

Planning to do a more even mix of PvE and PvP this time though so I might feel the effects of Darkness pre-30s more in FPs than I did in PvP.

Also, I intend to start PvP at 50 using the 23/1/17 build. Is this build only effective at 50 or is there a point before that where it becomes viable, or would I be better off just sticking to full Darkness till 50? Obviously I'd want to stay full Darkness for tanking PvE, but I know hybrid builds tend to not really work well until you get talents from different trees working together, which usually requires a higher level before they're viable. I'm just wondering what that level is. Obviously you want the 1 point in Duplicity to make Maul worth using, and DF/Haunted Dreams seem to be the key talents for Madness. I'm just not sure what the minimum level is that this build can work.

Edited by Vingeful

this is what has me holding back from my sin. I have a 42 sorc and I'm really wanting to get into my sin, but it's horrible at low levels. I'm 24 and just picked up andro, I'm taking a ton of damage trying to tank. Whith khem we king of duel tank but it takes forever to kill anything.

I lvled my Assassin straight from 10-42 now with darkness from the start.

I had no issues at all, I was kind of surprised about it actualy. My DPS seemed comparable to my PTs wich I lvl Pyrotech so DPS was awsome for the fact I was tank specced and in full tank gear aswell.

I had Khem suited in DPS stance and gear with taunts turned on so he could offtank a bit. Replaced him with Andronikus when I got him and Andronikus with Ashara tho. Works like a charm downtime isnt that bad either once you get Harnessed Darkness for some more self healing. Been thinking about using Talos once I get him wich is soon. But Ill see when I get there.

So from my experience I realy enjoyed playing and lvling as a tank (even tho I was realy scared it might suck big time :p) Havent tried Deception yet will do once I hit 50 for pvp.

Id say hang in there tbh but if you realy find it so boring wait until you ding 35+ and can start getting points in Harnessed Darkness.

And the fact that you get GF queue pops almost instantly as you sign is just a small but imo big bonus :)

PS: I didnt feel squishy at all tbh and I tanked all FPs so far maybe youre healers sucked ? :rak_03:

I lvled my Assassin straight from 10-42 now with darkness from the start.

I had no issues at all, I was kind of surprised about it actualy. My DPS seemed comparable to my PTs wich I lvl Pyrotech so DPS was awsome for the fact I was tank specced and in full tank gear aswell.

I had Khem suited in DPS stance and gear with taunts turned on so he could offtank a bit. Replaced him with Andronikus when I got him and Andronikus with Ashara tho. Works like a charm downtime isnt that bad either once you get Harnessed Darkness for some more self healing. Been thinking about using Talos once I get him wich is soon. But Ill see when I get there.

So from my experience I realy enjoyed playing and lvling as a tank (even tho I was realy scared it might suck big time :p) Havent tried Deception yet will do once I hit 50 for pvp.

Id say hang in there tbh but if you realy find it so boring wait until you ding 35+ and can start getting points in Harnessed Darkness.

And the fact that you get GF queue pops almost instantly as you sign is just a small but imo big bonus :)

PS: I didnt feel squishy at all tbh and I tanked all FPs so far maybe youre healers sucked ? :rak_03:

Even with a "bad healer" darkness gets the short end of the stick at that level. A deception with dark charge on and a shield will do a comparable job.

But play a PT or a jug in the same levels, you'll feel a LOT sturdier. PT gets his defensive cooldown quickly, jug already has it since Korriban, both have superior armor values.

You'll work against melee/ranged attack, granted. But force/tech you are very ill equipped to deal with. And most serious mobs use them aplenty.

So can YOU tank say hammer station with a sintank lvl 18? Probably, I twomanned it often with tank companion with a friend. Would a PT or jug be better? Abso-(term of choice)-lutely. An annihilation marauder at that point is actually sturdier than you, with better self-heals, even post nerf.

I wasnt saying youre wrong when saying Assassin tanks sucks at that lvl.

I just said that I didnt feel squishy at all, I never played PT or Jugg tank spec (got both at 50 tho) but I dont think I ever went close to dieing during a FP or a Heroic unless ppl did stupid things like pull **** loads of mobs or so.